OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Just a few to mention;

The Winter King by Cromewell (sp?)
The Light Bearer by Gilipsee (sp?)
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
GonK
Youngling

Post by GonK »

another couple of books that are worth reading

American Gods - Neil Gaiman
Altered Carbon - Richard Morgan
The Illuminatus Trilogy - Robert Shea & Robert Anton Wilson
Nights Dawn trilogy (The Reality Dysfunction, The Neutronium Alchemist, The Naked God) - Peter F Hamilton
"That's the dumbest thing I've ever seen, including the topless blond out at the swimming pool this morning. But, like the topless blond, some stupid things are fun to stare at." Raoul Duke, Jr.
<---And if you EVER see that face wandering roung Edinburgh with a bottle of Jack Daniels then I advise you to run. Or you could come over and buy me more Jack Daniels.
haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Post by haas mark »

Er... don't remember, but if it's not mentioned yet.. Clan of the Cave Bear, but I don't remember who it's by.. and I don't want to get up and go across the room right now..
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005

Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

verilon wrote:Er... don't remember, but if it's not mentioned yet.. Clan of the Cave Bear, but I don't remember who it's by.. and I don't want to get up and go across the room right now..
Jean M. Auel

Used to like those but then I was a horny ~15y liked anything with lots of sex in it.
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

The Legacy of the Aldenata series by John Ringo is good.
Honor Harrington by David Weber is also good.

I can get you a copy of both those series if you want it.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

Anyone who's looking for a challange would be well advised to search for the books of Gerald Kersch. He's Harlan Ellison's favorite author (normal fiction) and a damn fine read.
Most of his books have been out of print for 15+ years; that's where the challange comes in.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

The Things They Carried - Tim O'Brien. GREAT Vietnam War read.
The Great Gatsby- F. Scott Fitzgerald. It's as good as your English professor says it is.
Parliament of Whores, Holidays in Hell, Eat the Rich - P.J. O'Rourke. Nonfiction, mostly about politics and economics, by the funniest writer in America. Yes, he wrote a funny economics book.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Parliament of Whores, Holidays in Hell, Eat the Rich- P.J. O'Rourke. Nonfiction, mostly about politics and economics, by the funniest writer in America. Yes, he wrote a funny economics book.
"The free market is ugly and stupid, like going to the mall; the unfree market is just as ugly and just as stupid, except there's nothing in the mall and if you don't go there they shoot you. " - From Eat the Rich.

I do love that quote.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling
Alex Moon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Alex Moon »

RedImperator wrote:The Things They Carried - Tim O'Brien. GREAT Vietnam War read.
The Great Gatsby- F. Scott Fitzgerald. It's as good as your English professor says it is.
Parliament of Whores, Holidays in Hell, Eat the Rich - P.J. O'Rourke. Nonfiction, mostly about politics and economics, by the funniest writer in America. Yes, he wrote a funny economics book.
Read The Great Gatsby in HS and loved it then. Maybe I'll pick it up again...

P.J. O'Rourke is the man. I have Parliament of Whores, Eat the Rich, and All the Trouble in the World, and I love all three of them.
Warwolves | VRWC | BotM | Writer's Guild | Pie loves Rei
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Alex Moon wrote:P.J. O'Rourke is the man. I have Parliament of Whores, Eat the Rich, and All the Trouble in the World, and I love all three of them.
I have everything of his and the only thing that isn't very good is Modern Manners, which is mostly from his National Lampoon days before he realized that, in his words, the real world is funnier than he is.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.