Japanese War Guilt Debate

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Illuminatus Primus wrote:
weemadando wrote:The Japanese censoring of books is an act of political correctness, and a residual part of the denial of their culture and history that was spawned by the US occupation.
This excuses it how?
It doesn't, I'm merely pointing out that due to the supression of culture and history after World War 2, the Japanese mentality has become one of "just leave it alone and let everyone forget about it". There is the very real problem of the ultra-nationalists etc nowadays who would use such events to show just how great Japan once was, and the gov't cannot afford to lose control to them. However to some this is interpreted as "They are saying they never did it" and others as "Of course we never did it" or "of course we did it, but we aren't going to admit it."
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Illuminatus Primus wrote:The ideal situation would've been to demonstrate the bomb without killing anyone. Then bomb the landing beaches.
One problem is that the USAAF didn't really know if the bomb would work operationally. They weren't willing to risk a demonstration strike that could backfire on them; instead they chose a raid on a city that had a bit more 'deniability'.

As for hitting a landing beach in Kyushu, that may have been ineffective as Japanese fortifications and terrain would have mitigated its effects. That might have the opposite effect intended Furthermore, it would give the Japanese final proof that Olympic was planned there. The US was still unclear about the total extent of Japanese foreknowledge and would seek to minimize it.
Then bomb the troop concentrations in the South. Then bomb a city.
We didn't have that many devices! We only had three warheads available.
Point is they could've waited, demonstrated--anything...they dropped to A-Bombs in less than a week and its debatable they had to drop another so rapidly.
Perhaps. On the other hand, after Hiroshima their government was arguing that we only had a limited number - implying that they could wear out any attack as we used up our highly-limited stockpile. It was a bit of a shock, to say the least, when we hit again so quickly.
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

Gandalf wrote:Do German textbooks mention their past atrocities in much detail?
Well, I don't know about the textbooks, but I went to germany once on a field trip with my history class, and from what I saw there is some serious guilt felt over there about what happened, and the lack of resistance towards it at the time.
Striderteen
Padawan Learner

Post by Striderteen »

phongn wrote:
Illuminatus Primus wrote: Point is they could've waited, demonstrated--anything...they dropped to A-Bombs in less than a week and its debatable they had to drop another so rapidly.
Perhaps. On the other hand, after Hiroshima their government was arguing that we only had a limited number - implying that they could wear out any attack as we used up our highly-limited stockpile. It was a bit of a shock, to say the least, when we hit again so quickly.
After Hiroshima, the military leadership assured the Emperor that the nuclear bomb was a one-shot and resistance should continue. The Emperor agreed...it was the second bomb that convinced him to override the military and order a surrender.
XthewillX
Redshirt

Post by XthewillX »

Even though I was born here, in the US, my parents still made a point in informing me about the atrocities which were committed by the Japanese in World War II.

Turns out I had a granduncle who was in the Chinese army during WWII. Apparently, he had been captured and executed, after being slowhung to a tree, and torn to shreads by dogs.

Hilarious.
The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference.
// a vacant sky.
Justin
Redshirt

Post by Justin »

Unlike some people here in the U.S., the Chinese (Koreans too for that matter) people have never forgotten or forgiven the Japanese for what they did before and during WW2. One of the reasons the Japanese goverment wants to keep american bases over there despite all the problems that they cause is that they know the Chinese cannot get too belligerent towards Japan as long as americans are over there.
XPViking
Jedi Knight

Post by XPViking »

Justin wrote:Unlike some people here in the U.S., the Chinese (Koreans too for that matter) people have never forgotten or forgiven the Japanese for what they did before and during WW2. One of the reasons the Japanese goverment wants to keep american bases over there despite all the problems that they cause is that they know the Chinese cannot get too belligerent towards Japan as long as americans are over there.
Certainly you must mean here more the older generation, right? After all, let's not bring up any crap that the Korean soldiers did during Vietnam.

XPViking
8)
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might if they screamed all the time for no good reason.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

[COPY AND PASTE]http://www.geocities.com/weemadnosh/Kamikaze.doc[/COPY AND PASTE]

An essay I just finished on the Kamikaze pilots of WW2, their motivations etc. Standard legal shit applies. If you copy it without correct referencing I will call No.47.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Anders, it's Pearl Harbor, not "Harbour." It's a proper noun!
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

phongn wrote:Anders, it's Pearl Harbor, not "Harbour." It's a proper noun!
Bah! We shall not bow before your American Imperialism!

Harbour! Colour! And so on!
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

weemadando wrote:
Your Prime Minister is already our bitch! Your language is next!
Ted
BANNED

Post by Ted »

phongn wrote:
weemadando wrote:
You know Ando, he's got you there.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

-prefers the british spelling, himself-
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Didnt the Japanese force women to become prostitutes to service There soldiers in Asia?
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
Lee3
Redshirt

Japan and WWII

Post by Lee3 »

Folks, I don't think the Japanese owe us apologies or anything else. The war has been over for nearly 60 years. Most of the people who made the decision to make war are dead. The people of present day Japan and Germany for that matter had nothing to do with this.

These countries made war on the allies and got beaten. They got their lumps. I don't see where an apology makes any difference, is particularly desireable, or is even appropriate.

They took measures they thought necessary to win. So did we.

Any apologies that could be made are an insult in comparison to the pain. Such an apology is inappropriate because the people responsible are dead, and their children certainly aren't obligated.

I've never been to Japan. I did live in Germany for some time and most Germans wanted to talk about either Vietnam, the holocaust, or given litres of beer, both. Good people...
Grey Lensman,
Galactic Patrol
Tellus
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Ted wrote:
phongn wrote:
weemadando wrote: Bah! We shall not bow before your American Imperialism!
You know Ando, he's got you there.
Our PM is a tool, he is not reflective of the country and it's views and shit.

Mike Nugent for PM!!!
(That's me)
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Enforcer Talen wrote:-prefers the british spelling, himself-
I generally prefer it as well, but the name of the place is a proper noun and thus subject to American, not British spelling conventions!
Striderteen
Padawan Learner

Post by Striderteen »

Typhonis 1 wrote:Didnt the Japanese force women to become prostitutes to service There soldiers in Asia?
Yes. The fact that my grandmother was only twelve didn't stop them, either.
Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Re: ...

Post by Xisiqomelir »

Jeremy wrote:I have heard the stories and personally I wouldn't be terribly troubled with ending the Japanese culture.

I am upset that we let the Japanese get off so easy, to be honest I would have taken all the children from their families and raised them in western ideology to put an end to that damned culture. What can you really do to punish such people but erase from existence their beliefs?
Where do you think Anime comes from? America has significantly altered the culture of Japan, but Japan seems to have come off better for it.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Crazy_Vasey wrote:
Gandalf wrote:Do German textbooks mention their past atrocities in much detail?
Well, I don't know about the textbooks, but I went to germany once on a field trip with my history class, and from what I saw there is some serious guilt felt over there about what happened, and the lack of resistance towards it at the time.
It's very true. If you really want to get assfucked, just walk up to a cop in Germany and say "Sieg Heil". You'll be lucky to escape without a beating and a fine.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Eleas wrote: It's very true. If you really want to get assfucked, just walk up to a cop in Germany and say "Sieg Heil". You'll be lucky to escape without a beating and a fine.

What, have you tried it on a dare or something and thus know from personal experience? *g*
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:
Eleas wrote: It's very true. If you really want to get assfucked, just walk up to a cop in Germany and say "Sieg Heil". You'll be lucky to escape without a beating and a fine.

What, have you tried it on a dare or something and thus know from personal experience? *g*
What does Seig Heil mean?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Striderteen wrote:
Typhonis 1 wrote:Didnt the Japanese force women to become prostitutes to service There soldiers in Asia?
Yes. The fact that my grandmother was only twelve didn't stop them, either.

Of course the most recent Japanese texts books often say something to the effect that they volunteered and got a step up in life. This has pissed off South Korea a whole fucking lot to say the least.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Gandalf wrote:
What does Seig Heil mean?
Hail Victory.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Certainly not! Cops turn me off.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe