Thoughts on Robocop

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Steven Snyder
Jedi Master

Thoughts on Robocop

Post by Steven Snyder »

I was on the Robocop vs Terminator thread awhile back...and then I saw all three (well almost through RC3 before boredom set in).

Something that I noticed...Robocop can't run.

There are several situations where he walked at his normal pace, when it would have been most helpful to run. The cement-factory scene and where he is getting torn up by ED-209.

Not to mention he has that awkward gait that looks quite mechanical and quite ungraceful.

Did he actually run in the movies, and maybe I just missed it.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Nope, Robo doesn't seem to be capable of running. Everybody has their limitations, and that seems to be one of his.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Steven Snyder
Jedi Master

Post by Steven Snyder »

LOL!

So this "Future of Law Enforcement" is screwed if an unarmed suspect decides to run from him???

So a kid runs into a Walmart, grabs a VCR, then runs out past Robocop. The cyborg has two choices, do nothing or shoot the kid.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Steven Snyder wrote:So this "Future of Law Enforcement" is screwed if an unarmed suspect decides to run from him???
Arguably, yes, but RoboCop wasn't conceived as a remedy for non-violent crime.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Enricko
Padawan Learner

Post by Enricko »

Ted C wrote:
Steven Snyder wrote:So this "Future of Law Enforcement" is screwed if an unarmed suspect decides to run from him???
Arguably, yes, but RoboCop wasn't conceived as a remedy for non-violent crime.
Hell yeah! It's a mini-tank model the S.W.A.T would use as a mobile barricade when storming a mafia's building.
"We don't suspend disbelief, we hang it until it's dead!"
Major Cam Corder, Sevgates Cartoon Strip

MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

WRONG! We DID see Robo run! Let me tell you when. When one of the bad guys in the first movie (near the end) drove the truck and tried to hit him, Robo waited until the last second and then RAN out of the way. I just double checked to make sure. He did run, but only for a few seconds. Watch it. The bad dude crashed into toxic chemicals or something...
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Superman wrote:WRONG! We DID see Robo run! Let me tell you when. When one of the bad guys in the first movie (near the end) drove the truck and tried to hit him, Robo waited until the last second and then RAN out of the way. I just double checked to make sure. He did run, but only for a few seconds. Watch it. The bad dude crashed into toxic chemicals or something...
He can be fast when he wants to be, I just played the part back on my DVD as well, but I doubt he could actually chase a human runner.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Superman

Post by Superman »

Probably true. I think he has fast reflexes, but he's not going to outrun a person...

Then again, like someone already said, he was not built to stop the non violent criminals.
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Superman wrote:Probably true. I think he has fast reflexes, but he's not going to outrun a person...

Then again, like someone already said, he was not built to stop the non violent criminals.
Well, what about pistols which fire tranquilizer darts??
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Simon H.Johansen wrote:
Superman wrote:Probably true. I think he has fast reflexes, but he's not going to outrun a person...

Well, what about pistols which fire tranquilizer darts??
Better yet his hand should extend, new meaning of the "long arm of the law".

Or grapling hooks.

OR HE LAUNCHES HIS HANDS LIKE THOSE JAPANESE VOLTRON ROBOTS!!!!!!
Superman

Post by Superman »

heheh

Cool!
ChaosBurnFlame
Padawan Learner

Post by ChaosBurnFlame »

Dude, you just named everything Robocop did in that sucky "Alpha Commander" cartoon.

God I hated that cartoon. The movies had sheer wit and genious, like all the attempts to make a second cyborg resulting in suicidal robocops.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

ChaosBurnFlame wrote:Dude, you just named everything Robocop did in that sucky "Alpha Commander" cartoon.

God I hated that cartoon. The movies had sheer wit and genious, like all the attempts to make a second cyborg resulting in suicidal robocops.
There was a Robo cartoon? Eeeewwww....... and he had rocket hands.... OMG.....

But still, if Robo did need to chase someone he can just boost a car or ride a bike or use his rocket packs..... or his rocket hands are also homing hands!
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:There was a Robo cartoon? Eeeewwww....... and he had rocket hands.... OMG.....
Yep, there was a Robocop cartoon. I even recall ED209 making a cameo in one episode.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Zed Snardbody
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zed Snardbody »

There were a few cartoons. Once right after the move, a jap one a little later, then a POS that I belive was alpha Com. I can't remember much from my childhood though, so I'm not that reliable.
The Zen of Not Fucking Up.