The Twilight War

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

First to post! :P
Supermod
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Sweet...really liked how you showed Anakin going a bit more vicious...then any of the other Jedi.

Plus the last lines were classic.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Imajor
Redshirt

Bravo!

Post by Imajor »

Another excellent post from Stravo. And I agree about Anakin's reaction, just Perfect! IMHO it is at least as good most of the 'real' star wars/star trek novels, and better than most.

Thank you for the excellent work.

Now, get cracking on the next chapter :wink:
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Should this story be stickied? I just don't want people to think that I only Sticky my stuff.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Imajor
Redshirt

Post by Imajor »

Please do, I was just thinking the Exact same thing.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Not just yet...you need a few more chapters.

Around 10 some chapters then have it stickied.

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Setesh
Jedi Master

Post by Setesh »

Anakin blinked and looked down at the pad.

“You DISINTEGRATED me?” Anakin asked in horror.

The technician shrugged meekly.

“We did reintegrate you sir.”
I'm having visions of Daffy vs. Marvin
"Nobody ever inferred from the multiple infirmities of Windows that Bill Gates was infinitely benevolent, omniscient, and able to fix everything. " Argument against god's perfection.

My Snow's art portfolio.
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Chapter 7: Quiet Contemplation

“O woe is me, to have seen what I have seen, to see what I see!”
Hamlet
Act 3, scene i

The house was old, pre WWIII, wood still in the frame and the cold bled through the walls sometimes during the winter. There were so many sounds, squeaks, groans, shudders so that the house sometimes sounded alive. There was a well tended garden out in the back and an enclosed glass arboretum attached to the house.

A simple cobblestone path led up from the single lane road to the front of the house nestled in at the edge of the woods.

A fireplace was lit, warm crackling fire lit the interior of the study. Long tall oak bookshelves hugged the walls of the study, every single shelf was taken up by books, no space remained for a single volume of anything else, but the books themselves were neatly organized by categories only known by the owner.

Two men sat quietly, each one in a tall antique velvet chair facing the fireplace. A simple table stood between both men and a silver teapot and two porcelain tea cups with saucers were arranged on the table. A small silver container of cream and a bowl of sugar cubes sat off to the side of the pot.

A light clinking broke the silence, one of them was stirring the contents of his tea cup and he gently placed the small spoon down by the teapot.

“Tell me something, Christopher, when did you decide to lose your sense of adventure and wonder?” The older man asked seriously. He wore a thick white cardigan sweater and khaki pants. A pair of loafers completed his attire’s call for the past. He wore a pair of glasses perched on his nose. His salt and pepper hair was thick but kept neat and well groomed. He looked like the picture of the perfect old time university professor.

Captain Christopher Pike sat opposite his mentor and oldest friend retired Fleet Captain Robert April, first starship captain and first Captain of the Enterprise. Pike had first studied under April as a cadet and served with him as an officer.

Robert April was a living legend in Starfleet. He had founded many of the principles that governed starship Captains, he had shaped and formed that brotherhood of officers and Starfleet was in his image. There was no denying his influence in the organization and even in the Federation.

Starfleet was first conceived as a military organization for the defense of the Federation, it was Robert April who led the charge to change the emphasis to exploration and first contact missions. Starfleet became an organization of diplomats and scientists that could become soldiers in times of crisis, instead of soldiers and warriors that were part time diplomats and explorers,

Many claimed that April was a man dedicated to peace and science as a matter or principle and they were usually correct but the true driving force for April’s opposition to a militaristic Starfleet was the Earth-Romulan war that his father and grandfather fought in. The bloodshed was horrendous. Many Earth families had at least one family member who lost their lives in that awful conflict, and April as a young boy growing up had seen the aftereffects on his father, his grandfather had died in the conflict and he swore that Earth would never wage war again if he could help it.

He did not want any more children to see their fathers reduced to broken men.

Pike was looking down into his own teacup, eyes distant and detached.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” He replied.

April frowned.

“How long have I known you?”

“Since the academy.”

“Since the day I called on you in Ethics and you gave me one of the best answers I ever heard in response to my question on the ethical duties of a starship captain.”

Pike smiled softly.

April reached out to his old friend and gripped his forearm.

“Chris, tell me what’s wrong.” April urged.

Pike looked up at his old friend and slowly took a sip of tea and very deliberately put it down on the table.

“On one of my last missions I diverted the Enterprise to Talosia. It’s a borderline class M world and we were responding to a distress signal from an old Earth explorer ship that went down on that world.” Pike began his voice even but April could see the tightness along his jaw and the haunted expression in his eyes. “There we were ambushed by a race, the Talosians who took me underground into a sort of menagerie where they proceeded to torture me with visions they could project directly into my mind.”

April nodded slowly. He had heard some rumors about this mission through back channels.

“I spent my time fighting them, they tried to break my will get me to do as they wanted and start a new race on the surface of the planet using this poor broken girl as my eve. You can’t imagine what it was like to not know what was real and what was not.”

“No, I can’t.” April replied quietly.

“That experience was harrowing enough for me, Robert. But it wasn’t really the torture or experiences on Talosia that have affected me. It’s the questions that they spurred in me.”

“What sort of questions?”

Pike took a deep breath and sat back in his chair. April watched the shadows under his friend’s eyes.

“Is this worth it, Robert? We’re sending young men and women out into the void with hardly a second thought as to what kind of price we’ll pay. I could have been trapped on a planet where I would never know the difference between reality and fantasy. My ship could have been destroyed to cover up the deception and hundreds would have died at the whim of some aliens. What did we gain from that encounter? Was the Federation bettered in any way by that mission, did we come away with some technological development, a new civilization to join us, anything? I’ll tell you what we gained, a general Order that instituted the only death penalty in Federation law.”

April remained impassive.

“So what the hell did we gain Robert? It seems to me that if we had never gone to Talosia the Federation would be a far better place. People would not have been put at risk to die for nothing.”

“Chris.”

“No, let me finish. Space exploration has claimed more human life in this last half century than in all the other centuries combined. What does that tell you? We’re hurling ourselves out there and I’m afraid that people are so enamored by these starships and the new technology that they’re not giving a single thought to the human element, to the lives being spent out there.”

“And you’re the first Starship captain to think about this?” April asked neutrally.

“Don’t get sanctimonious on me, Robert. Because you were the first of us, I’m supposed to think that you’ve seen and done it all.”

April leaned forward in his chair slightly.

“You listen to me, Chris. I was in space when you’re father was dealing with acne. Let me tell you this right now, no one has EVER said that space exploration would be safe or that people would not die. But this Federation and every Starfleet officer that has taken the oath joined with the understanding that we were going to reach out and discover new life forms and new civilizations. That we were not going to the stars as soldiers but as scientists. We were going to explore the mysteries of the universe and the universe jealously guards her secrets.”

“Why? What’s the point of it?” Pike exclaimed suddenly.

April jerked backwards at the sudden exclamation from the subdued Pike.

“Christopher Pike!” A woman interjected in shock.

Pike looked around, suddenly subdued again and looking slightly cowed. A beautiful woman walked into the room, she was beautiful even now in her advanced age, silver haired flowed freely behind her and she wore a simple dress but she moved with a sublime grace and her piercing blue eyes were nearly hypnotic.

Gwendolyn April was a treasure. She married Robert April after his last tour of duty on the Enterprise where she had served as Chief medical Officer. Gwen had been a good friend to Christopher, always an encouraging word and a warm hug. Many said that she was like Pike’s surrogate mother, always the first to send him congratulations, always waiting for him on the rare occasions he returned to Earth.

She was also undoubtedly Robert April’s soul mate. The word was archaic and many more cynical friends of Pike always scoffed at this word, but Pike thought that if such a pair existed that could claim to be soul mates, Gwen and Robert were that pair.

“Gwen, I apologize.” Pike replied softly.

April waved at his wife to drop it.

She ignored him as she was wont to do.

“Christopher, I have these Azaleas in the back and they are in desperate need of some weeding, but there are a few weeds that are simply refusing to come loose. Maybe you can help me uproot them.”

“Gwen, you could just beam them out of there or –“

“Robert April, when I want your advice on gardening I’ll ask for it thank you very much. How about it Christopher, care to help an old lady with some drab chores?” She asked, patting him warmly on the shoulder.

Pike smiled and nodded.

“Anything for you Gwen, although I would hardly call you old.” Pike replied and stood up out of his chair.

“You’re too kind my young man but both Robert and I are what you would call ancient, perhaps even decrepit.”

April snorted and pulled out a pipe from a pouch next to his chair, lightly tapping it against his hand.

“You’re still the best friends a man can have.” Pike replied with a warm smile.

“You go on and do some gardening. I’ll be here.” April added and lit his pipe. Christopher walked out with Gwendolyn leaving April to puff pensively on his pipe. What was it all for? A question he did not have the heart to tell Christopher that he still asked himself on dark days.

“As you were.”

“Acknowledged, Captain.”

Captain Jean Luc Picard sat in his command chair and waited patiently as all stations reported ready for the crossing over. The space ahead of them looked like any other star field. There was no sign that it was the entrance to an intergalactic wormhole that would lead them to another place inconceivably far away. It was the fruition of Picard’s dream to be a true explorer, to go where no man had gone before.

Sev’Rance Tan stood stoically by his side as the assembled Trade Federation fleet surrounded DS9, technicians and droids covered the station, converting it for use in the other galaxy, new weapons systems, a power core the likes of which Federation science had never even conceived of and a shield grid that astounded some of the more tactically minded in Starfleet.

Events were unfolding at a near break neck pace and despite the protestations to the contrary, Picard was almost certain that this fact finding mission he had been assigned to was nothing more than a rubber stamp for the Federation’s involvement in the war.

The promise of the technology that the Separatists offered was simply too great to be ignored. Deep Space Nine for example would be converted into a veritable fortress that could hold off entire fleets by itself. Imagine what other developments were laying in wait for them.

Picard was not so concerned about the technology. His concerns were more material and personal. The same technology that made the Separatists such attractive allies and trade partners also made their enemies, the Galactic Republic especially deadly.

The cost in lives for this war would make the losses projected in a war against the Dominion pale in comparison. But why was no one listening? Picard wondered.

“Alls systems report ready, Captain. We are standing by for passage.” Data reported.

“Very good, Mr. Data. All ahead, full impulse.”

“Can you feel it Captain? The excitement in the air of your bridge? Your ship and crew will be welcomed with open arms by my people and we will forge an alliance that crosses both space and time.” Sev’Rance said lowly to Picard.

“Indeed.” Picard replied neutrally. Sev’Rance eyed him curiously, her glowing red eyes narrowing slightly on the back of his head.

“Approaching spatial distortion, gravimetric readings are off the scale. Quantum particles increasing exponentially.” Data continued as the ship entered the wormhole.

“All hands brace for—”

Picard was blinded for a moment by a brilliant flash of light. He glanced around the bridge and noticed that the crew was frozen in mid motion. Many were speaking or reporting their findings, mouths frozen in the act of speaking.

He glanced back at Sev’Rance Tan and she too was standing stock still behind him, eyes intent on him.

The light pulsed around him like an ocean, crashing steadily against the shore, accompanied by a deep rhythmic beating like some awesome heart.

“We come as emissaries of peace.”

“And you leave here as gods of war.”
A voice replied icily. An explosion ripped across his field of vision. Picard jumped back in his seat.

Data noted his internal chronometer had stopped. He glanced around and noticed the rest of the bridge crew was frozen in place. He heard a chorus of voices around him, speaking over each other and rising in volume.

He tried to discern the various voices and what they were saying, but for some reason his audio receptors could not perform the function.

The rising chorus was drowned out by a single conversation.

“This plan is inherently flawed due to many reasons, primarily because I will never accede to your wishes.” Data heard his own voice speaking.

“You are just a machine, Commander. Machines are designed to carry out the will of true living things.” The voice was old and cold.

“I will resist.”

“What is it that those enemies of yours, the Borg are fond of saying? Oh yes, resistance is futile.”

Date blinked and ran an immediate self diagnostic.

Deanna was looking over at Sev’Rance Tan when they entered the wormhole. The woman had an iron grip on her emotions and thoughts, but something had leaked through and her curiosity was peeked. Deanna suddenly found herself the only person aware that everyone else was frozen in place, even their emotions were cut off, as if she were sitting apart from the others, isolated and alone.

She heard a whisper, off to her right. Someone was speaking, in low hushed tones and she strained to listen.

“This isn’t right somehow.”

“I should not be feeling this way either, I love someone else, but when I look at you, I am confused.”

“When I look at you, all I can think about is being with you.”

“You have a word for that.”

“Imzadi.” She replied hesitantly.

Deanna shook her head emphatically, trying desperately to clear her mind of the disturbing thoughts.

Will Riker was starting to speak when he noticed that the rest of the bridge crew was frozen in place. He was confused. What was happening?

A hush of voices interrupted his thoughts. He quickly scanned the bridge, searching for the source of the words. He looked into Deanna’s face and saw the frozen expression of surprise on her face. He was suddenly swept up the love he had for her.

They were supposed to be married soon, but with the dawning of the Dominion war the plans had been postponed, but now with this new war on the horizon, he doubted they could get married anytime soon.

She deserved so much better.

“You thought I was an idiot that I couldn’t see what you were doing? What you felt about her?” His own voice suddenly spoke, in a low clipped tone.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about Riker.” A stranger replied sullenly.

“You know precisely what I’m talking about.” He heard himself shout back. There was a frightening fury in his voice.

“What are you going to do with that?”

“End this travesty and the betrayal once and for all.”

“Will no!” Deanna shouted

Riker was stunned. What was that all about? It sounded so real, as if he had been outside his body listening to the conversation.

Just as suddenly as it happened the Enterprise’s bridge was back in action.

Picard recovered from his fugue state, hiding his confusion he snapped into action.

“Status?”

“All systems are nominal, Captain.” Data reported.

“Would you look at that.” Riker commented.

The view screen displayed a fleet assembled that inspired awe struck silence from the bridge crew. Enormous warships were floating leisurely in tight formations around the wormhole.

“The Separatist defensive fleet, Captain. They are here to protect the wormhole at all costs, at least until Deep Space Nine takes up a defensive position at the wormhole. It will free up a majority of this fleet back into the war effort.”

“Of course you mean IF Deep Space Nine takes up station here.” Picard added sternly.

Sev’Rance blinked.

“Of course, Captain. I have a tendency to get ahead of myself.” She replied airily. Deanna’s eyes narrowed on the female Chiss. There was more to her words, an burst of dark anger, almost fury.

“Captain we’re being hailed.”

“On screen.”

A Numedian appeared on the screen, bowing slightly to the bridge crew he began speaking in the thick accent that the others had grown accustomed to.

“A most gracious welcome to our potential Federation allies. I am Fleet Commander Numus Dalas. It is a pleasure and honor to welcome you to our galaxy Captain Jean Luc Picard.”

“Thank you Fleet Commander Numus Dalas. The Enterprise is honored to be invited into your space and I hope that this mission will help foster an understanding between our people that will be the basis for a partnership.”

“Indeed, Captain. I have no doubt that the freedom loving peoples of the Federation will recognize the intrinsic values that we share and see that alliance is inevitable.”

“We shall indeed see, Fleet Commander.”

“Sev’Rance Tan, Count Dooku expects you to remain on the Enterprise as his direct representative until you arrive at the new headquarters. Coordinates will be shuttled over to you as soon as we can.”

“Shuttled over?” Riker asked curiously.

“Unfortunately, Commander Riker, we cannot even risk the slightest chance at interception by Republic forces. So far we have remained in a stalemate with them because of our tighter security and the resourcefulness of our own espionage division. But make no mistake about it, if they ever got wind of the location of our base of operations they would waste no time in utterly destroying the planet.” Sev’Rance replied calmly.

“We have never forgotten their surprise attack on Geonosis which touched off these hostilities. They gambled everything on stopping our movement in its infancy with a military strike but our leadership managed to escape and the movement survived, but the Republic was exposed for what it was.” Numus explained bitterly. Picard glanced over at Deanna who nodded. The Fleet commander was being honest, down to his bitterness at the Republic. So far, Picard had yet to encounter any subterfuge regarding the Republic’s complicity in this conflict and the claims of political oppression.

“Please, allow Captain Picard to come to his own conclusions, Fleet Commander.” Sev’Rance interjected.

“Of course,” the Fleet Commander bowed his head. “Now I will be dispatching a shu-”

There was a loud commotion behind the Commander and suddenly one of his aides rushed to his side in view of the screen and said something quickly in the Numedian language.

The commander replied quickly, surprise and anger both mixed in his words.

“Commander what’s wrong?” Sev’Rance asked.

“Many apologies, but we have just received word that a Republic taskforce has emerged in the Helvanna system and are engaging the base there.”

“Damn.” Sev’Rance spat.

“All ships available must be scrambled to defend the convoy there and our fleet is the closest to the engagement area.”

“Do we have any choice then?”

“Excuse me for interrupting but what military significance does Helvanna have?” Picard asked.

“Helvanna is a militarily unimportant system on the fringes of both Republic and Separatists space. However Helvanna has been designated as a way station for refugee ships and supply convoys heading out to the Rim.”

“That’s all?”

“You underestimate the Republic’s desire to crush both our military and our spirit. While the loss of Helvanna will hardly affect our war effort, it will result in the deaths of millions of civilians that we have sworn to protect. Every day people flee from the Republic recognizing the oppressive regime for what it is thanks in part to our own efforts. We cannot then turn our backs on these people after we helped them recognize the evil in their midst. They come to Helvanna so that we can take them to Rim worlds where they will be out of the way of most of the major engagements.”

“Isn’t this against the rules of warfare?” Riker asked.

Sev’Rance glanced down sharply at Riker.

“Commander Riker, what are these rules of Galactic warfare? Before this conflict began there was only the Galactic Republic. There was no need to codify rules of war. We are waging this war as honorably as we can, but the Republic’s war is not just on the field of battle but it is also on its streets, trying to win the hearts and minds of the people that doubt it.”

“Hardly seems a rational course of action if the Republic is trying to win the support of its populace.” Picard noted.

“What are you trying to get at Captain.”

“A feint.” Riker breathed.

‘Think on it, Sev’Rance. The only ships within range of Helvanna are in this fleet. Helvanna goes against a rational strategy that would want to win the support of the people but they know that you cannot take that chance. So you dispatch this fleet to protect Helvanna but the true fleet is on its way here.”

Sev’Rance stared hard at Picard.

“Sev’Rance we must go now if we want to get to Helvanna in time to save those people.” The Fleet Commander urged.

“This is the only rational reason for this attack. I refuse to believe that they would attack defenseless civilians within range of a fleet such as this. Even their victory would be a pyrric one because you would have damning evidence of the Republic’s attack and they would lose yet more support. This is a feint.” Picard urged.

“How can you be sure? You have not even seen the Republic’s forces in action? You do not know how bloody this war has been.” Sev’Rance replied quietly. Her glowing red eyes however betrayed that she was beginning to see Picard’s point.

Riker looked from Picard to Sev’Rance. These people may have been fighting a war but so far he was not impressed with their basic military acumen. He was beginning to see that the impression they were trying to impose on them may have been a true one. They were simply a group of Separatists fighting to survive the Republic juggernaut. These were not military men, well except for the Mandalorians but they were definitely in the minority and he was beginning to see why the other defaulted to them in all matters military.

They needed good solid leadership if they were going to survive this.

Something else bugged him about this though, something that buzzed in the back of his mind. But what was it?

“If you’re wrong…”

“If I were in command then I would take the responsibility for the death of millions, but if I am not in command. I am pointing out to you that if you take the bait you will open up this wormhole to attack and you would lose the only lifeline you have to our galaxy.”

Sev’Rance looked up at the screen. Numus looked horrified.

“You cannot be serious, Sev’Rance! I have a family passing through Helvanna. We all do. This would be a slaughter.”

“And if it is indeed a feint, we could lose our only ally and new source of trade and raw materials in this war.”

“Who is in command of the Republic Forces in this sector?” Sev’Rance asked, an idea coming to her mind.

Numus shook his head, visibly distressed and checked something off screen.

“How long before we pass the point of commitment?” Picard asked Sev’Rance quietly.

“Another 4 maybe 5 minutes before the fleet would reach Helvanna in time. Our early warning network is spread very thin across the galaxy, particularly out here near the Rim. If we were closer to the core we would have at least a few hours warning.” Sev’Rance replied.

Picard nodded and exchanged a knowing look with Riker.

“I would suggest that your fleet go to battle stations, the Republic attack will come soon after that point of no return.”

Sev’Rance looked down at Picard, a masked expression of admiration on her face.

“Will they not be able to detect this fleet here?” Data asked.

“Of course!” Riker exclaimed.

“Sev’Rance if we are indeed going to go with the assumption that it is a feint we need to draw them in. They would not be feinting if they had the sufficient fire power and ships to overcome this fleet. We can turn this feint around on them and set a trap.”

“You mean seem as if we have taken the bait?”

“Yes.”

“Sev’Rance, the fleet commander of this sector is Yuess Fane.”

“Fane is a fop and a fool. What about the Jedi?”

“Jedi Master Corvuss Naz.”

“Naz….that Wiley old goat has seen more action than ten other Jedi Masters. He put down the rebellion at Kazan with a feint to their center.” Sev’Rance mused.

“Sev’Rance, my ship captains are begging to be released for battle. We are passing the point of decision.”

Sev’Rance looked down at Picard then back to Numus. She could feel the weight of decision on her shoulders. Millions of lives versus the wormhole were her tow options. She grew angry and in her anger the road became clear as her insight flashed and she saw a brief vision. A cold smile came to her lips for a brief moment.

“Fleet Commander Dalas, prepare the fleet for hyperspace, plot a course three light years from here.”

“Three light years?” Numus asked in surprise.

“Yes, we need the fleet to be out of here but ready to jump back into the system as soon the Republic forces arrive.”

“You actually believe that assertion?”

“I represent Count Dooku. This order comes from him. Now carry it out, Fleet Commander. Also make sure that two Trade Federation battleships remain behind as security, they will warn us when the time is right.” Sev’Rance seemed to grow taller as she spoke and the Fleet commander nodded hesitantly.

“Of course, milady.” He bowed his head and the screen switched off.

“Will that give us enough distance?” Picard asked.

“The incoming Republic fleet will come out of hyperspace nearly blind, but they have will scan as soon as they emerge. A short range scan will reveal nothing in system.”

“And as soon as your battleships see them come out of hyperspace they’ll alert us.”

“With precise coordinates from them we will be able to jump in and seal their avenue of escape.” Sev’Rance finished with a triumphant smile.

“The Enterprise will accompany your fleet out and back into battle.”

Sev’Rance looked down at Picard, red eyes flashed.

“You are committing your starship to battle? I thought it was frowned upon during your time here.”

Picard nodded hesitantly and rubbed his chin.

“Any government that would use its own civilian population as a tool of war must not be allowed to impose their will on those trying to be free.” Picard replied.

Sev’Rance nodded.

“As you wish, Captain Picard. A pity however Jean Luc.” She added in a near whisper leaning over his chair.

“How so?” Picard asked.

“I wanted to show you the wonders of this galaxy, to show you the tings that made our faction worthy of independence and freedom. Instead, your first experience with us is the sting of battle. I am truly sorry.”

Picard looked up at her and smiled. She was beautiful in this light, her soft blue skin nearly shimmered, partially illuminated by her red eyes.

“There will be time for the grand tour later. Besides, this will not be the first time I’ve been introduced to new life forms and civilizations in battle. Let’s concentrate on winning this battle and then we can discuss wonders.”

“Very well Captain. We shall see to that.” Sev’Rance replied with a soft laugh. Riker smiled to himself. It seemed that Captain Picard had himself an admirer.

Deanna was not as happy, her eyes did not leave the Chiss woman. There was something behind the levity and smile, something dark and hungry.

He sighed softly as he found himself hanging off the wooden frame, each arm draped over the horizontal bar that ran across his back. The cornfield stretched out at his feet as far as the horizon, the corn stalks were old and starting to whither, no one had tended to them in a season.

Not that anyone really tended to them at all.

“Yes, well we’ve all been the scarecrow at one point or another, haven’t we?” He spat derisively. He slowly unwound his arms from the wooden bar and gruffly leapt down from the stand. He brushed off his pants and looked around. The sun had started to set.

“This is not exactly helpful, stubborn bastard.” He grunted and started to walk back towards the small town just over the hill to the west where the single road led in and out.

His thoughts were in a storm of confusing questions and options.

“Problems?” a young man asked off to the side of a copse of trees at the edge of the cornfield.

“I don’t have time for your questions, I assume they sent you.”

“Of course they did, when do we ever do anything on our own initiative?”

He glanced up sharply at the young man.

“Oh, I’m sorry, you do. But then again where has that gotten you?”

“At least I try to understand, I try to be involved in life.”

“Life?” the young man chortled. “Life is what they call those so called complex chemical reactions? Why do you even bother?”

He paused for a moment and examined the young man’s face.

“You wouldn’t understand if I told you.” He snorted and turned to walk.

“I am as in tune with the universe as you are. You really think there’s something we missed that you did not? Last time I checked you were the youngest of us. You presume much.”

“Presumption has always been my biggest sin.”

“I thought you gave up being the scarecrow?” the young man asked as he glanced curiously back at the wooden stand.

“It wasn’t my idea. The old man did not take to my tone or news well.”

“Have a little more respect. The rest of us thought that he carried too much of a burden with you.”

“I’m a burden! He chose to have a child!”

“Calm yourself. These emotional outbursts are more appropriate to those animals you like to play with so much.”

He took a deep breath and looked back at the young man.

“I take it the rest of you don’t particularly care for what’s happening?”

“Care is an odd word to chose.”

“No, it’s the precise correct word. He is out there and he is creating the circumstances that will cause such bloodshed that it will be the twilight for two galaxies. Surely even you short sighted cretins can see that?”

“Short sighted? Short sighted is ignoring the fact that YOU are responsible. Now you run around like some runaway paradox begging for assistance from those that warned you and you expect us to take action?”

“Yes!”

“I’m sorry, but I am here to tell you that any more rabble rousing will be met with much sterner action than what you have experienced before. You will watch the events unfold that you caused.”

“I did not cause them!”

The younger man smiled softly.

“Q, really, you need to peer past simple causality, you are most decidedly not human and not constrained by such simple laws of the universe.”

“I refuse to accept responsibility for this.”

“Isn’t that the story of your life?” The young man replied coldly.

The two stood in the cornfield as the sun set.

Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Nice...good to see how Pike is being used, as well as Picard's action for the Seperatist.

Glad to see this isn't a mean faceless evil but just as viable as you made them out to be.

More Kirk.

Luke Starkiller
Jedi Knight

Post by Luke Starkiller »

Nice, but who is this 'he' that Q is refering to? Hmmm...
What kind of dark wizard in league with nameless forces of primordial evil ARE you that you can't even make a successful sanity check versus BOREDOM? - Red Mage
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Ohh. Sweet chapter, Stravo.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Illuminatus Primus
All Seeing Eye

Post by Illuminatus Primus »

Really the Seperatists should have better strategists than the Republic.
"You know what the problem with Hollywood is. They make shit. Unbelievable. Unremarkable. Shit." - Gabriel Shear, Swordfish

"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi in reply to an incredibly stupid post.

The Fifth Illuminatus Primus | Warsie | Skeptical Empiricist | Florida Gator | Sustainability Advocate | Libertarian Socialist |
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Illuminatus Primus wrote:Really the Seperatists should have better strategists than the Republic.
The fact that the Separtist keep winning battles or fighting to a draw points to this fact, but the Republic has numbers. Sidious and Dooku want to make sure this is a bloody holocaust so that when a New Order rises to impose order it is welcomed by a war weary populace. Also, I want to sort of draw a parallel between the Confederacy and the Union in the Civil War, with the Sepratists playing the part of the South, better commanders but not enough resources. The Republic has the resources but shitty commanders (save for the Jedi).

Illuminatus Primus
All Seeing Eye

Stravo wrote:
Illuminatus Primus wrote:Really the Seperatists should have better strategists than the Republic.
The fact that the Separtist keep winning battles or fighting to a draw points to this fact, but the Republic has numbers. Sidious and Dooku want to make sure this is a bloody holocaust so that when a New Order rises to impose order it is welcomed by a war weary populace. Also, I want to sort of draw a parallel between the Confederacy and the Union in the Civil War, with the Sepratists playing the part of the South, better commanders but not enough resources. The Republic has the resources but shitty commanders (save for the Jedi).
The Seperatists have more sparse and spread out raw materials, and less of an infrastructure and production ability than the Republic.

However, they have larger standing armies, and excellent technology. They have large fleets and better economics.

The Republic, now that I think about it, should have better commanders.

They do, after all, have only real military tradition. Pelleaon came from a Core-ward Planetary Security Force. Expect the Republic to have better officers at the NCO-to-captain level. Admiralty is going to be a new game--they haven't had full-scale warfare for at least a thousand years. The Seperatists' corporate consortiums appear to only have businessmen making command decisions and such. Expect better AI, but better grunts and military advisors at that level. The Rimworld Planetary Security Forces have more experience.
"You know what the problem with Hollywood is. They make shit. Unbelievable. Unremarkable. Shit." - Gabriel Shear, Swordfish

"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi in reply to an incredibly stupid post.

The Fifth Illuminatus Primus | Warsie | Skeptical Empiricist | Florida Gator | Sustainability Advocate | Libertarian Socialist |
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

I like the way you portray the neimodians and their allies as people who truly believe they are fighting for a just cause, and how they care for innocent people

It gets rid of the implied stereotype of neimodians being some kind cheap ferengi rip-off.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

I like the part when the planet was under attack by the Republic and the Separatists relayed to Picard of what they were trying to do giving a weird thought....considering how the story is going ~Jason
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY SDNetizens.

Enjoy the latest chapter.

Chapter 8: Meeting Engagement

“Our doubts are traitors And make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt”
Measure for Measure
Act 1, scene iv

“Status?”

“The Republic fleet is inbound just as you predicted Captain Picard. ETA six minutes from emergence.”

“We would never have been able to turn around in time when we discovered this trick.” Sev’Rance added with a cold grimace.

“We will soon see where this goes.” Picard replied.

“Sir, I’m reading quite a sizable force, considering our tactical disadvantages do you think it’s such a good idea to get involved in this battle?” Riker asked Picard seriously.

“Will, we’re already involved.” Picard replied sternly as he locked eyes with his first officer.

“I don’t see it that way sir, we are part of a fact finding mission and by entering this battle you have unilaterally chosen up sides without seeing the other side of the equation, and my primary concern is that the Enterprise is no match for the republic warships. One stray direct hit from their big guns and we would be reduced to molecules.”

Picard frowned slightly. He chose Riker as his first officer precisely because he was not afraid to speak his mind but sometimes the things he said could be difficult to hear. It was true that his orders were clear that he was there to ascertain the conditions of this galaxy and the Separatists movement but the Council had already signed a treaty with the Separatists. It was a near certainty that they were coming into this war on their side, making this mission essentially an olive branch to those that had wanted more time to decide or were afraid they were being dragged into a war that they had no business being part of.

Picard saw the realities, Riker was still stuck on the formalities of the issue.

Or so he hoped.

“Will, the fact that the Republic threatened a purely civilian target in order to destroy this wormhole shows me that they have no interest in talking with us and more importantly prove the point made by the Separatists that the Republic is a threat to the civilians in their own government.”

Riker shook his head slowly.

“I don’t see it that way, but you’re the captain. That still doesn’t answer the issue about placing us in danger.”

“Captain, if I may, perhaps your first officer is correct. Beam me over to one of our flagships and I will oversee the battle. The Enterprise can remain here and observe the battle. It would not be a boon to our diplomatic relationship if the first starship the Federation sends across is destroyed in battle.” Sev’Rance interjected gently.

Picard looked from his first officer to Sev’Rance.

He straightened his uniform and stood up.

“Mr. Data, prepare to engage warp engines. Mr. Hawk, all weapons are to be armed, tubes loaded and shields at maximum intensity.”

“Aye sir.”

Picard glanced back at Riker and Sev’Rance.

“I will be damned if I’m going to sit back and watch brave people fighting and dying because we’re outmatched. The Enterprise may have a surprise or two left in her for this fight.”

“Aye sir.” Riker nodded curtly but obviously not convinced.

Sev’Rance watched the First Officer with a hooded expression. He would prove difficult, she surmised.

Troi watched the Chiss woman out of the corner of her eyes while pretending to be concentrating on the screen. Sev’Rance Tan was quite adept at holding her emotions at bay but she could sense the rage there, the anger that hummed through her like a the notes on a violin. There was a danger in that anger that had Troi on edge. Even more suspiciously she had not detected this anger or self control among the other Separatists. They truly believed in their cause, even the Mandalorians fore all their bravado had joined the cause because they too feared the growing power of the Republic and its descent to despotism.

Troi knew that there was some other agenda on Sev’Rance’s mind but she could not perceive it. She also agreed with Will, the Captain was undertaking a risky move.

“Republic Forces two minutes from Hyperspace emergence.” Data warned.

“Sev’Rance?” Picard motioned to the communications display.

“All vessels standby for jump to light speed. I want all heavy vessels to emerge in a Vara Crescent. Fourth and Fifth squadrons take the middle and engage nearest Republic forces.”

“Acknowledged Sev’Rance.”

“I’m not sure about you commanding from this ship, you really should be on a flagship.”

“But I am, Captain. I am on the Federation flagship.” Sev’Rance replied with a warm smile. “If we are to be allies then the Federation flagship will be one of our own.”

Picard nodded.

“Very well.”

Sev’Rance smiled and glanced down at her tactical display.

“All ships make the jump to light speed.”

The Centurion popped out of hyperspace leading the Republic armada right behind it. A tight wall like formation of massive dreadnoughts, light cruisers and smaller escort vessels moved forward with deadly intent. Moments after emerging from hyperspace, the larger vessels began disgorging their fighter compliments.

Z-95 headhunters, mixed with small compliments of other sector planetary system security forces formed up quickly and efficiently, fanning out to form protective screens along the flanks of the fleet and a small attack wing quickly surged forward composed solely of Z-95 headhunters accompanying attack bombers. The bombers were a new model that was only just entering service, long and sleek with large powerful engines swept along the sides the Y-Wing was the first dedicated strike bomber created by the Republic in over a thousand years.

“Careful now, those are two Trade Federation battleships. Their may not have the weapons load out that we have but their shields more than compensate for this. We will need to coordinate our attacks.” Jedi Master Corvuss Naz stated grimly as he examined the disposition of the Separatist’s fleet. The two Trade Federation battleships were doing the only thing they could do. They were quickly collapsing in on each other for fire support and launching their fighters.

They already knew this fight was lost, he could feel it despite the gulf between the ships and him, the Force was strong in him and he could feel their despair singing along the surface of the Force. He did not need to use the Force to tell him that however, two converted freighters versus a dedicated Republic task force was hardly a challenge.

The question was how quickly they could defeat this security force and fulfill their primary objective.

“This will be over soon my good Jedi and we can return to our duties back home. I do so detest deploying my fleets far from home.” Yuess Fane commented dryly.

Corvuss fought the urge to grimace. The Bothan was renowned as a power broker and his political base was impressive, in his home sector, but he was nothing more than a fop.

Yuess smiled vacantly and watched the Jedi mater in his drab brown robes as he moved between bridge stations with an intense stride. Corvuss was obsidian skinned, white within white eyes that could be so unnerving when they gazed into your own. He was a consummate Jedi Master, calm, cool, efficient. He was also one of the few masters with actual war time experience out on the Rim. He had been in several civil wars and mediated trade disputes that had turned or were going to turn into shooting wars. He had predicted that the Separatist movement would eventually lead to a civil war but had been quietly sanctioned by the Jedi Council and sent off to the deepest parts of the Rim where his voice could not be heard.

After the Battle of Geonosis the Jedi quickly scoured their ranks for war leaders and the name that topped most of those lists was one Corvuss Naz. The Council asked him to return to Coruscant and begin a career as a general. Naz did not ever say anything about his warnings, no ‘I told you so’ he simply nodded his head and obeyed.

Fane thought that was such a stupid attitude to have. If it had been him he would have held it over the heads of the council until the war was over. All the collected wisdom of the greatest Jedi masters and they could not see what Corvuss had predicted ever since the battle of Naboo.

Fane liked the Jedi master despite his dour serious nature. Besides, ever since Corvuss came on board to command his fleet they had known nothing but victory and that was a rarity for Republic forces. Those victories would be turned to political capital after the war and that made Fane very happy. It did not matter to Fane that Naz had essentially taken command all to himself instead of the joint command mandated by the Supreme Chancellor for large fleets. Naz was a fighter, Fane would benefit from those victories.

“Watch that flanking maneuver.” Corvuss urged his command staff, pointing to a large formation of droid fighters that were circling dangerously close to the strike force.

“Master Naz, the Trade Federation battleships have not yet opened fire, we are in range.” the tactical officer reported.

“They’re just holding their fire for one concentrated attack as we draw closer. They need to make every shot count. I intend to not give them that option.” Naz replied and nodded to the squadron commander. The squadron commander spoke into his commike.

“All wings, begin attack run.”

The fighters and Y-Wings suddenly surged forward, engines flaring brightly as they accelerated into the Separatists formation. The Battleships immediately began pouring a steady stream of fire into the approaching swarm. Blossoms of fire erupted in the darkness of space among the starfighters.

“Have the Bellicose and the Mandate move in on this vector.” Naz pointed to a point in space on the holodisplay of the battlefield floating casually in the center of the command deck. “I want heavy support fire, try to draw off some of the fire from our fighters and start chipping away at those shields.”

“Yes, master Naz.”

Fane slunk over to Naz’s side.

“Tell me old friend, why don’t we just surge in as one, overwhelm them with our raw numbers and complete our mission. These battleships are merely a bonus, the true mission is collapsing that wormhole behind them.”

Naz nodded as he watched the first wing of Y-Wings peel away in formation as blue streaks flashed away towards the battleships.

“We may out number and out gun them but getting mixed up into a brawl is precisely what they will want, there will be so many of our ships in the mix that the chances of friendly fire increase exponentially. The confusion will only serve to keep them functional long enough to actually hurt us. This way I can guarantee a kill with minimal casualties on our part and then we can turn our attention to the wormhole.”

“Master Naz, I like the way you think.” Naz nodded but could not help the shadow of a smile that tugged at the ends of his lips. Fane was a fop but a likeable one. Naz had dealt with far worse in his life.

“Besides, I have a strange feeling.”

“Oh?”

“Somehow this all does not feel right.”

“What do you mean? This is precisely what you planned to draw the Separatists fleet away.”

“I know.” Naz muttered. “But there’s something amiss here.”

The first wave of proton torpedoes crashed against the shields of the battleships. Explosions rippled along the front of both ships, engulfing them in light and fire for a moment then the vacuum quickly squelched the blasts and the battleships continued their oppressive wall of fire against the fighters.

“Their shields are holding.”

“I didn’t expect the new Y-Wings to be so effective as to take their shields out in one wave, we just have to keep at it boys.” Naz replied.

“I have stock in Koensayr. I was about to sell it off after Geonosis, I’m glad I didn’t.” Fane added.

Naz eyed the Bothan critically.

“It wasn’t easy for Koensayr to back out of the Secessionist movement you know. They had to leave the Corporate Alliance they had been part of since their founding.”

“Sienar and Kuat had no problems leaving.” Fane countered.

“It helps when you get exclusive supply contracts with the Republic. Koensayr was given no such promises. The Y-Wing is essentially their audition to be added to the military supplier core of the remaining corporations still loyal to the Republic.” Naz replied with a soft sigh.

An alarm buzzed.

“We have a hyperpsace emergence in sector 14!” the tactical officer warned and glanced over at Naz with an alarmed expression. “A Separatist fleet.”

Naz frowned.

“Alright, now it gets interesting.” he muttered. “Tactical I want a detailed analysis of their attack patterns.” Naz barked and strode down to the center station.

“The Separatists forces are deploying a tight Vara Crescent.”

“Are at least twp squadrons detached towards the center?” Naz asked pointedly.

“Yes, yes there are two squadrons of light warships breaking towards the center.”

Naz smiled coldly as he looked out at the view port at the looming Separatist fleet.

“Sev’Rance Tan I presume. Her opening gambits should be required reading by our line officers.”

“THE Sev’Rance Tan?” Fane stammered.

Naz quickly walked over to Fane and pulled him along towards the back of the command deck.

“The men are already panicking because of this turn of events, we don’t need them seeing fear in their commander. Pull it together and help me control this situation. I’m going to need all my concentration to help me with this battle.”

Fane nodded slowly. He had never seen Naz so serious and that told him that the odds had suddenly shifted very badly against them. Fane stood up taller.

“Captain, inform all fleet commanders that we finally have a challenge. Let’s turn to face it and welcome them to the party.” Fane announced with a smile. Naz nodded approvingly and walked back to the center station.

“Have the reserve fighter wings turn immediately to engage their screen and put us into a Xanthas Box formation. I want the heavies on the corners and tell the commanders that I will be ordering an englobement on the fly so they need to stay sharp.”

“Yes sir.”

“Hold on.” Naz interjected, brow furrowed in confusion. “What is that?” he asked pointing to a ship near the center of the Separatists formation. The vessel seemed out of place among the massive ring shaped battleships, odd battlecruisers, Banking guild corvettes and escorts. It was bright white and almost glowed in the starlight, nacelles swept back from the main body of the vessel, main hull merging into a saucer shaped forward section.

“I’ve never seen a ship like that before.” Fane added curiously.

“Sir, we’re not picking up hypermatter emissions from the vessel, in fact we’re not reading hyperspace signatures. Weapons systems are odd, beam weapons of a class unknown, reading not a single turbolaser emplacement.”

“What in the Force is that?”

Fane frowned.

“Perhaps one of their newer Merc company fleet vessels?” Fane commented.

“No, this doesn’t feel right. Mercs don’t own ships like that.”

“Whatever it is sir, she’s opening fire on our fighters.”

“Well that nails it. She’s most definitely hostile. I want all commands to bracket that ship in their tactical displays. I don’t want her destroyed. She is to be disabled and tractored over to the Centurion. We’ll need to board her and see what new wrinkle the Separatists have added to this fray.”

“Aye sir.”

Naz stood quietly as he watch the fleet deploy. He was under no illusions as to the way this battle would go, he was now facing one of the Separatist’s best commanders in a fight he did not expect to be in.

“All phasers track and fire on inbound fighters. Standby on torpedoes, I want to concentrate fire on one of their escorts as soon as it gets close enough.” Picard ordered, the bridge plunged into crimson lights from the alert status, crewmen grimly manning their stations as the enormous Republic taskforce loomed ahead.

Many knew that the Enterprise was sorely outclassed by even the lighter warships and so this battle was far more dangerous than any they had been involved in.

“Careful Captain, those escorts are inching in closer to your port. Their firing ion bursts, looks like they intend to take your vessel intact.” Sev’Rance noted.

“I see them. Mr. Data, evasion pattern Sierra Gamma. Torpedoes stand by.” Picard ordered calmly as he checked his tactical display.

“We should stick to their fighters, sir. I don’t think we’re much of a threat to their big guns.” Riker commented lowly.

“That’s the intention, Number One. I don’t think they’re going to let us off so easily however.” Picard replied as the Enterprise shook.

The Enterprise sailed through flak bursts and her phaser array suddenly opened up, multiple beams slashing out into the darkness. Several fighters were struck, sparking up into trailing fiery debris like fire flies they descended into the void and eventually vanished, extinguished by the hard vacuum.

The Republic fleet was marching inexorably towards the Separatists fleet. The larger warships began opening up with their heavy batteries and green and red turbolaser bolts crisscrossed the gap between the fleets illuminating the area of space like a small sun. Splotches of angry light flared up on the leading edges of the mighty capital ships’ bows as the impacts became more numerous and insistent.

The Enterprise was followed by a swarm of Separatist droid fighters. The fighters exchanged deadly fire with Republic fighters as they whipped by each other at dizzying speeds. A barrage of harsh crimson phaser fire partially cleared a path through the wall of the fighters.

“Have the fighters follow us through this gap.” Picard told Sev’Rance. Sev’Rance without hesitation entered a series of codes into her station and the droid fighters suddenly pirouetted in space and lanced downward, following the Enterprise through the gap in the fighter screen.

“You have a plan, I assume?” Sev’Rance asked casually as she sent another coded transmission to the fleet, adjusting its disposition in light of the Republic position.

“I always try to have a plan. Number One set up torpedo attack, pattern Sierra Nine.”

“On it.” Riker replied keying in the attack pattern.

A large escort ship that had slipped ahead a bit further than the others in the eagerness to take the Enterprise loomed ahead on the screen.

“I want an Alpha strike on the starboard flank of that vessel, have all fighters follow suit then program into the fighters the evasion pattern Omega Sigma.”

“Omega Sigma?” Sev’Rance asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Allow Number One access to the fighters.”

“Actually I will turn over command to the fighter wing to Commander Riker. I will attend to our capital ships.”

“Understood.” Picard replied. The Enterprise began to shake violently as the escort vessel threw up a wall of heavy fire.

“Now.”

The Enterprise spat forth a volley of quantum torpedoes followed by a steady barrage of phaser fire on the forward starboard quarter of the escort ship. The droid fighters swarming around the Enterprise unleashed a withering volley of fire on the same point. The shields temporarily overloaded but the Enterprise and her fighter escorts could not take advantage of that opening, they were already too close. Instead they peeled away as one in a high speed dive under the escort vessel.

But Sev’Rance Tan was one step ahead of them. The closest Separatist warships concentrated their fire on the escort vessel’s unshielded quarter. Massive explosions rippled along the starboard aside, the hull erupted outward under the assault and the vessel slowly turned away, trailing molten metal and hot gasses.

The escort’s sudden turn forced her sister ships to change formation quickly, creating a ripple effect on the right wing of the fleet.

“There.” Sev’Rance smiled triumphantly and emphatically punched in orders on her pad. The fastest ships in the Separatists fleet surged forward like a pack of wolves. The heavier warships simply poured fire to support the attack into the right wing.

“Let’s see if we can’t spread a little more chaos.” Picard noted with some satisfaction.

“I think the Republic forces have their own plans in mind for us.” Riker noted.

“Captain, picking up three wings of fighters on an intercept course.” Data added.

“I see. Well they will have to catch us first.” Picard noted. “Full evasive, take us right through their right wing.”

“Aye Aye sir.”

“Daring, Captain, right into the heart of the attack.” Sev’Rance noted with some admiration.

“Damnation!” Fane cursed as the right wing began to quickly degenerate into a brawl with Separatist forces.

“Calm, Fane. This is her opening move and I have several of my own.” Naz interjected and nodded to his squadron commander.

“Three wings inbound sir.”

“Tell them to knock out the fighter escort but I want that alien vessel captured not destroyed. Have the center switch to an Adon Spike, the left wing is to sweep in and hold here, fire support for the center.” Naz ordered pointing to the holographic representation in the point in space where he wanted the left wing to position themselves.

“Acknowledged sir.”

Fane took a hold of the Jedi’s shoulder and bent in closer.

“I’m not much of a tactician my friend but you never go into an Adon Spike when one of your wings is in disarray.”

“That is the standard textbook wisdom, but I know Sev’Rance Tan, I’ve studied her since this war began and standard textbook tactics won’t carry the day with her.”

“Here’s to hoping that the Force is with us.”

Naz smiled grimly.

“Was there ever any doubt?”

“An Adon Spike? Why Master Naz, I do believe that you may prove to be a true challenge.” Sev’Rance noted with a cold smile.

“Have we shaken them yet?” Picard asked Riker.

Riker shook his head.

“They’re on us tight.”

“Data, what can we do to give them a jolt off our backs?” Picard asked the android as the Enterprise shook from another near hit as they bobbed and weaved through the right wing of the fleet currently under attack. Separatist ships were now starting to mix in with the Republic forces, trading broadsides that could reduce continents to ash.

“I have been studying their avionics and sensor systems, they are not vulnerable to standard ECM tactics however a polaron pulse at the right frequency directly in their path would render them essentially blind for a few seconds until their systems realigned.”

“Sounds like our best option right now.” Riker added.

“Make it so, Mr. Data.”

The Enterprise soared beneath a light escort vessel, phaser fire dancing beneath her for a moment, illuminating her shield grid as the Enterprise raced beneath followed by the fighter escort which was being constantly harassed by the pursuing Republic fighter wings.

“Keep us clear of those big ships helm. We wouldn’t last more than a few seconds under that fire.”

“Aye Aye sir.”

“Polaron pulse is building on the deflector dish, stand by for discharge.” Data reported, hands flying over his controls.

“Captain, bring us around to 27.475 mark 25. I set up a nice surprise for our pursuers that will go hand in hand with this polaron pulse.” Sev’Rance stated with a cool smile.

“Helm bring us around to those coordinates, Data standby on the pulse.”

“Ready.”

The Enterprise flashed around in a tight turn, the fighters in an even tighter turn right over three ships locked in mortal combat, shields down and now battering against their mighty armored hulls with mighty turbolaser blasts.

“Now.”

The main deflector dish of the Enterprise pulsed quickly and released a cascading white bolt of light slightly below its plain of passage. The bolt of light collected into a coruscating ball of light several hundred kilometers ahead. The ball of light grew more discordant and pulsed faster and faster as the Enterprise passed over it, followed in tight formation by the droid fighter escort.

The Republic fighters were close behind, firing steady harassing bursts of fire. The ball of light exploded just as the fighters passed over. The fighters suddenly began to twist and turn, breaking formation as their avionics fed the pilots data that made no sense.

It was at this moment of confusion, as their systems rebooted to clear the error that a horde of droid fighters led by Corporate Z-95 fighters and a small squadron of mercenary fighters pounced on the confused, blinded fighters.

The Republic fighters did not stand much of a chance and were quickly extinguished into rapidly cooling clouds of gasses and debris.

The Enterprise dipped on her axis and reoriented herself to face the Republic forces again.

The city of Belaphas was on fire. The sound of droid troops marching through her paved streets could be heard all throughout the once mighty metropolis. Screams of dying and wounded were soon drowned out by the bone jarring drone of the landing ships and tanks. The waterfront was gone, vaporized by an orbital bombardment from the Separatist fleet overhead.

The spaceport was in chaos as droid troops fought with desperate pilots, smugglers and remaining defensive troops for control of the sole means of escape from the city and most likely the planet as a similar scene was playing out through the cities of the doomed planet of Camlan.

Two figures moved through the desperate throngs, quickly cutting through buildings and alley ways. They were intent on escape as well but were far calmer than the populace around them. They both were quite experienced with escape and the slaughter that the droid armies brought with them.

Wearing thick black cloaks, hoods pulled over their heads they moved quickly and calmly, obstacles seemed to not appear in their path as if they knew where they were going before they actually arrived there.

An explosion tore through a building off to their side as a droid fighter screamed downward trailing smoke into the building, downed by a man portable missile from a squad further back on the street.

“This is madness.” One of the two finally spoke as he protected the other from the concussion and shower of debris.

“We have to hurry.”

“You’re telling me?” the other replied and grabbed a firm hold of the wrist of his companion and pulled along through another street.

“This did not go as well as I planned.”

“This war, my lady, has not gone as well as planned.”

They stopped short as a tank rumbled into view, blocking off the street, accompanied by a squad of droid troopers.

“Oops.”

The squad was led by a human dressed in the bright colored body armor of a mercenary company. Mercenaries were seeing quite a bit of business in this war, both sides were guilty of using them but the Separatists were the primary patrons of these companies.

“Hold.” The merc shouted holding up his hand.

The two stopped short.

“Head back into the city. You’re all now subjects of the Separatist Union.”

“That’s rather unilateral of you isn’t it?” the man replied.

The merc smirked and nodded to two droids.

“Bring them over here.”

“Roger. Roger.”

The droids quickly approached.

“What do we do now?” The woman asked.

The man turned his head and a smile was clearly visible under the hood of his cloak.

“We escape.”

The droids were at their sides, weapons drawn.

“Come along.”

The man laughed softly.

“You forgot to ask nicely droid.” The man said and was followed by the snap hiss and a lightsaber flashed upwards slicing through the droids in quick rapid thrusts. The woman jerked back her own cloak and fired off a steady burst from a blaster. One bolt caught the merc in the shoulder sending him crashing to the floor.

“Keep firing and stay close to me, Senator.” The Jedi said as he whipped off his black cloak and charged the droid squad which started firing on him. His green lightsaber blade quickly flashed, deflecting the more dangerous shots while allowing the near misses to flash past him.

He launched himself into the air and landed in the center of the squad, sweeping his lightsaber around him in tight controlled circles. The droids began to turn to engage the Jedi but the emerald blade was already cutting through them.

The woman charged, firing her blaster to keep the mercenary's head down when she saw the turret of the tank turning slowly as it backed away.

“Bastion!” she shouted and pointed to the tank.

Bastion laughed, his golden hair shining in the sun he flipped out of the center of the droid formation and landed on top of the tank. The turret continued turning toward the charging woman.

“Senator, hit the dirt!” Bastion shouted and brought his lightsaber down through the turret with an emphatic grunt. The saber burned its way through the turret. He jerked the saber sideways.

A hatch opened behind him as a droid popped its head out to investigate. Bastion smiled as he turned his head to look at the droid.

“Come up for some air? Let me give you a lift.”

The droid shouted something unintelligible as it was lifted bodily out of the turret and flung out into the sky.

“Get down here Jedi dog!” The mercenary shouted and fired his blaster. Bastion pivoted on his left foot and parried the volley, some of the bolts reflected back at the mercenary. The mercenary rolled away and through a grenade up at the tank.

“Thanks for the assist my friend.” Bastion said with a wink as he caught the grenade with the force and redirected its path down into the open hatch of the tank. Bastion leapt off the tank and landed in front of the retreating mercenary. An explosion muffled by the enormous tank’s armor caused a cloud of fire and smoke to rise up from the ruined wreckage of the tank.

“I think this is the part where you surrender.” Bastion said with a smile.

“No you laughing fool, this is the part where you get holed by my friends.”

Droidekas came rolling around the corner of the street and four of them unfurled, blasters at the ready.

“Destroyers, huh?” Bastion replied and punched the mercenary hard. The mercenary went down and lay still as the Destroyers began pouring fire at him. Bastion brought his lightsaber up and started parrying shots, some of them reflected back at the droids but splashed harmlessly against their personal shields.

Bastion slowly advanced, spinning his blade wildly to parry the storm of blaster fire. He noted in his peripheral vision his female companion slowly crawling through the street, past the wreckage of the shattered droids and taking position behind the Droidekas.

“I really hate Droidekas, destroyers, whatever you boys want to be called. This personal shield business is a tad unfair don’t you think? Unless of course you have friends that know of your weakness.”

The female came up on one knee and fired her blaster into the backs of the assembled Destroyers. They squealed and tumbled over with a crash.

Bastion nodded to the female and snapped a salute.

“Senator, the next time someone tells me that you’re too much of a pacifist to have a say in this war, I’ll have words with them myself.” Bastion said with a wink as he helped her on her feet.

“I was hoping to discuss some form of peace with at least one faction of the Separatists Union but it looks like the meeting was nothing more than a trap.” She replied brushing herself off and holstering her blaster.

Bastion sighed softly, his blue eyes softened as he heard the despair in her voice. She had truly believed in this mission. Enough to approach him as an escort and eschew any other protection.

“If it is any consolation Senator Amidala, I sensed that the other side also intended to speak peace, but this invasion was carried out by another faction of the Union.” He said softly putting a hand on her shoulder. She nodded.

“I just find it curious that this invasion would take place precisely now when we started talking peace. There are many things about this war which are both troubling and curious.” She replied looking up at Bastion. Jedi Knight Bastion Vandarre was known among Jedi circles and those in the know as the laughing Jedi. Unlike most of his brethren, Bastion reveled in the use of the Force and used humor as much as possible. He said that he enjoyed life to its fullest and could the Force ask for anything more from her champions?

He was also one of the few Jedi that was a close friend of Anakin and one that Padme trusted implicitly. He had been one of the few Jedi that had both supported the peace movement and had earned a reputation as an implacable warrior to give the peace movement some moral authority.

Many of Palpatine’s supporters had been quick to paint the peace movement led by Senator Organna as weaklings and at worst traitors. However, Organna was a general now and leading the defense of the core worlds while simultaneously pushing for peace, so it was difficult to completely discredit the peace movement. Bastion was one of the more prominent members of the Jedi membership.

The sound of marching feet began again and they caught sight of a formation of super battle droids coming their way.

“Senator, now I think it is time to leave.”

“You know, Bastion, you’ve known me long enough to call me Padme.” She added with a smirk as they started to rush away.

“Well, Padme, Ani is going to skin me alive if he finds out what I let you do today. He thinks you’re safe and sound in committees on Coruscant.”

“You know he hates it when people call him that.” She said wanly.

“I know, Padme, I know.” Bastion replied with a soft chuckle as they vanished into the ruins of the city.

Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Due to board errors I am forced to bump this as soon as I post. Anyway please enjoy.

Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

nicely done Stravo keep up the good work
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

First to post Woo hoo
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Nice...I liked how you described the battles and found an honest use for Troi aside from spouting or thinking the obvious.

consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

"Captain, I sense hostility"

"No shit counselor, they've only been firing at us for the last five minutes."
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Ooh. Nice.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
starfury
Jedi Master

Post by starfury »

late post, as usually liked seeing the Z-95's as part of the old republics fighter squadrons.
"a single death is a tragedy, a million deaths are a statistic"-Joseph Stalin

"No plan survives contact with the enemy"-Helmuth Von Moltke

"Women prefer stories about one person dying slowly. Men prefer stories of many people dying quickly."-Niles from Frasier.
Illuminatus Primus
All Seeing Eye

There should actually be more mercenaries and conscripts than droids for quite awhile. I see the Seperatists moving toward real combat droids rather than wimpy TF battle droids which were mostly to scare competators and clients, not to fight wars. Perhaps the development of the SD-series can begin to replace the shitty droids? Upgraded partially sentient superbattle droids?

And it is the Confederacy of Independent Systems, not the "Seperatist Union."

And "Sev'rance Tann" (again with the spelling) is a General of ground troops. The EU fallacy of "every military commander can lead military forces anywhere" is something I think should be avoided. She is depicted in the EU as fighting exclusively the intense land battles against the Republic.