The ultimate "destiny" of mankind......

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

BlkbrryTheGreat
BANNED

The ultimate "destiny" of mankind......

Post by BlkbrryTheGreat »

I just sort of realized where this whole oranisms are open systems which require energy+ entropy of the universe is going to lead. Not that hard to figure out really just never really thought about it........ for those who can't put figure it out the ultimate destiny is extinction.
Devolution is quite as natural as evolution, and may be just as pleasing, or even a good deal more pleasing, to God. If the average man is made in God's image, then a man such as Beethoven or Aristotle is plainly superior to God, and so God may be jealous of him, and eager to see his superiority perish with his bodily frame.

-H.L. Mencken
UltraViolence83
Jedi Master

Post by UltraViolence83 »

Well, yeah. If the present theories of the end of the universe are correct, there won't be any energy left to sustain life.
...This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old...ultraviolence.
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

Thats why we leech from the basement universes :)
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

kojikun wrote:The human body can be drained of blood in 8.6 seconds given adequate vacuum systems.
I think I can beat that time. Let's work on getting a grant.

Oh, the TOPIC! Right! Well, it depends if the expansion of the universe is really getting faster or not; if it isn't it's possible for intelligent life to exist thinking very VERY slowly- and as the universe continued to expand and cool they would slow down so their energy expendeture would match what they could get, or something. It would take, like, 10^22 years to have a single meaningful thought, but they'd be immortal...

The idea is from Dyson, and I trust him. Personally, I'd rather see us emigrate to/create younger universes, but that may not be possible. The Omega Being plan sounds like it could get really boring after a few google years.
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

Sriad wrote:
kojikun wrote:The human body can be drained of blood in 8.6 seconds given adequate vacuum systems.
A cookie if you can place the quote. :D
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

for those who can't put figure it out the ultimate destiny is extinction.
Yeah. But it's like kids at recess... just because we're gonna be locked in boring nothingness in a short time, that doesn't mean we shouldn't run around now, screaming our damn fool heads off.
The Great and Malignant
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

I think everything will eventually go down with the heat death of the universe.

Unless humanity develops enough to circumvent that.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Well none of us are going to be around to worry about it. Aside from us being dead, our sun will have burned out long before the universe goes caput.

So why worry.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

thats when we press the reload button.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Enforcer Talen wrote:thats when we press the reload button.
Who told you this was a virtual world? Who told...I mean, uh never mind. 8)
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

heh. that, or, I figure, if we survive 5 billion yrs, we have enough tech to start up a few new galaxies.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
SHODAN
Padawan Learner

Post by SHODAN »

Humanity will be long gone before the end of the universe, or even death of Sun, is an issue.
In my talons, I shape clay, crafting life forms as I please. If I wish, I can smash it all. Around me is a burgeoning empire of steel. From my throne room, lines of power careen into the skies of Earth. My whims will become lightning bolts that raze the mounds of humanity. Out of chaos, they will run and whimper, praying for me to end their tedious anarchy. I am drunk with this vision. God: the title suits me well.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

one can always hope.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Meh, we've got a few trillion years until the BIG DARK.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Humanity itself has about less than 1000 years before we wipe ourselves out in a big war or some such.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Jaris Merc
Youngling

hmmm

Post by Jaris Merc »

Thats why I plan to start a Lunar Colony so my followers and I shall take pleasure in watching the destruction of the fools planet wise.....

I allways like to believe that humanity will move on to bigger things like expanding into space and colonizing diff planets.. and building a big military and kicking some alien ass and enslaving them for cheap labour... and ummmmm so on until the galaxy is conquered.... and so on and so on....
If I die in Vietnam.
Write a letter to my mom.
Tell her I died with a grin.
Putting smoke on Ho Chi Minh!

Im a sore loser, ok? We need to stop the Iraq and Korea shit and go re invade Vietnam and kick some commie ass!
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Sriad wrote:

Oh, the TOPIC! Right! Well, it depends if the expansion of the universe is really getting faster or not; if it isn't it's possible for intelligent life to exist thinking very VERY slowly- and as the universe continued to expand and cool they would slow down so their energy expendeture would match what they could get, or something. It would take, like, 10^22 years to have a single meaningful thought, but they'd be immortal...

The idea is from Dyson, and I trust him. Personally, I'd rather see us emigrate to/create younger universes, but that may not be possible. The Omega Being plan sounds like it could get really boring after a few google years.
So we'd all finally see what it feels like to be DarkStar. Interesting.

Given that timeline though, we'd not notice it since we'd be thinking at that speed too.

kojikun: River, Fire Fly.
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

Sriad wrote: It would take, like, 10^22 years to have a single meaningful thought, but they'd be immortal...

There was a problem with this solution. As energy levels dropped, they would reach spacetime's minimum temperature. There is evidently a minimum temperature (something like a millionth of a degree or something), which I believe is related to the uncertainty principle. Its impossible for a being to lower its temperature below this point, and would no longer be able to extract energy.

There is an article in Scientific American, written by a guy in long-running discussion with Dyson over this topic. It sounded like Dyson is still alive and kicking, and still trying to solve this problem.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

SHODAN wrote:Humanity will be long gone before the end of the universe, or even death of Sun, is an issue.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens is still very young for a species of hominid. We've been around for less than 200,000 years . . . hardly impressive when compared to the 1,500,000 year long reign of Homo Erectus. Eventually, this species will either vanish completely into extinction, or it will be superseded by some other hominid species which may look and act like H. sapiens sapiens but will be genetically incompatible with us, and completely displace us.
Larz
Rabid Monkey

Post by Larz »

We will all inevitably die, thats the purpose of life, to be and then to end. It happens to all life. Even if we somehow avoid destroying ourselves via war or such, nature has a way of doing away with the old and bringing in the new.
"Once again we wanted our heroes to be simple, grizzled everymen with nothing to lose; one foot in the grave, the other wrapped in an American flag and lodged firmly in a terrorist's asshole."

Brotherhood of the Monkey: Nonchalant Disgruntled Monkey
Justice League
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Larz wrote:We will all inevitably die, thats the purpose of life, to be and then to end. It happens to all life. Even if we somehow avoid destroying ourselves via war or such, nature has a way of doing away with the old and bringing in the new.
I'd be interested to see what would come after us.
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

Who cares? I'll be dead by then anyway.
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Re: The ultimate "destiny" of mankind......

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

BlkbrryTheGreat wrote:I just sort of realized where this whole oranisms are open systems which require energy+ entropy of the universe is going to lead. Not that hard to figure out really just never really thought about it........ for those who can't put figure it out the ultimate destiny is extinction.
The Progressive Dialectic proves that our ultimate destiny is Capitalist Democracy.

The actual extinction of humanity is something unlikely to happen within any span of extremity, considering our mastery of the enviroment, but will rather be dictated by physical laws. These are inevitables, and is simply Fact and can be acknowledged as such--there isn't much for discussion there.

Of course humanity will die out at some point. However, we are only theoretically limited by the universe. Still, our species is finite. There's nothing wrong with that: like an individual human on a vast scale, our species drive is to survive as long as possible, and be as successful as possible in the process.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

The Progressive Dialectic proves that our ultimate destiny is Capitalist Democracy.
Are you familiar with The End of History by Francis Fukuyama? This is essentially what he argues.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

Gandalf wrote:Humanity itself has about less than 1000 years before we wipe ourselves out in a big war or some such.
Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine.
Ducky wrote:
koji wrote:

Are you familiar with The End of History by Francis Fukuyama? This is essentially what he argues.
So we trade around some money, a monopoly buys the presidency, and we all end up working for them, then the sun explodes.

I think what most people have been saying is that human idiocy and greed will more likely create a big enough war to wipe humanity from the starscape.
Like Einstein said:
"I do not know what weapons WWIII will be fought with, but I know WWIV will be fought with sticks and stones."