The ultimate "destiny" of mankind......

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Enricko
Padawan Learner

Post by Enricko »

I forsee the last remnants of Humanity (that is, what we'll have become) stored in a Matrix-like VR powered by the last black hole still with kinetic energy in the Universe...

If we survive this planet, we'll suck dry every erg of the galaxies unless something stops us!
"We don't suspend disbelief, we hang it until it's dead!"
Major Cam Corder, Sevgates Cartoon Strip

MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

SyntaxVorlon wrote:
Gandalf wrote:Humanity itself has about less than 1000 years before we wipe ourselves out in a big war or some such.
Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine.
Ducky wrote:
koji wrote:
The Progressive Dialectic proves that our ultimate destiny is Capitalist Democracy.

Are you familiar with The End of History by Francis Fukuyama? This is essentially what he argues.
So we trade around some money, a monopoly buys the presidency, and we all end up working for them, then the sun explodes.

I think what most people have been saying is that human idiocy and greed will more likely create a big enough war to wipe humanity from the starscape.
Like Einstein said:
"I do not know what weapons WWIII will be fought with, but I know WWIV will be fought with sticks and stones."
Re: Durran: Piffle! Everybody believes that their civilization represents the end of history, and they've been wrong.

Re: Syntax: Well, I ssure hope that doesn't happen, it would put a big dent in my plans of living forever as a multi-universal god-being. :P
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Durran Korr wrote:
The Progressive Dialectic proves that our ultimate destiny is Capitalist Democracy.
Are you familiar with The End of History by Francis Fukuyama? This is essentially what he argues.
I am, naturally. I don't think the world will be as ideal as he makes it - I think democracies are more prone to war, for example, especially with each other, than other forms of government (though their may be alleviating factors) - but these are just quibbles, really, as we agree on the basic progression.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

SyntaxVorlon wrote:
Gandalf wrote:Humanity itself has about less than 1000 years before we wipe ourselves out in a big war or some such.
Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine.
Sorry, I've just been Mr Cranky Pants lately. But that's still my opinion.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

We've long known what our destiny is: Charlton Heston finds the blasted remains of the Statue of Liberty and screams You did it! You finally, really did it! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELLLLL!!!!