robot warriors

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Enforcer Talen
Warlock

robot warriors

Post by Enforcer Talen »

is it plausible for droids to be used as armies in the future?
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
thecreech
Smasher/Devourer
Location: New Mexico... and yes it is a state , Go look at a fucking map of the USA

Post by thecreech »

only if they get really good A.I
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

And if the benefit to cost ratio is better than it is for human troops.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Be wicked if we saw something like this in the near future:

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/s.billen/t70_series.htm
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
EmperorChrostas the Cruel
Rabid Monkey

Post by EmperorChrostas the Cruel »

Technicaly speaking, every fire and forget missile IS a robot warior.(kamikazi)
Hmmmmmm.

"It is happening now, It has happened before, It will surely happen again."
Oldest member of SD.net, not most mature.
Brotherhood of the Monkey
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

They aren't that smart, they just follow heat, which though intricate to design doesn't make them that intelligent.

However the predator drone is getting better and better, eventually they'll make one that can fly itself.
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Actually, bipedal humanoid robots are less efficient. No, the robots which may have a future in the military would be more akin to small mechanical spiders armed with microwave rays - or bear a striking resemblance to Tau Gun-Drones from Warhammer 40k.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

But them ABC's and Terminator skeletons have a nice intimidation value.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

True, a bipedal copy of a human would be good since the design would, if small enough, go anywhere a human could with ease, but a more stable and less difficult design to use is the tried and tested 6-legged insect variant or at the very least 4 legs. Use some of those special pads that can extend and retract with gecko like hairs and they could even scale buildings etc. like Fuchikomas.
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:But them ABC's and Terminator skeletons have a nice intimidation value.
But a horde of robotic insects also have a lot of intimidation value. Particularly if they incinerate their foes with microwave death-rays! :twisted:

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

The advantages of terminator style infantry are urban warfare, the ability to operate equipment, carry documents, or even something like restraining POWs. The advantages of other types are improved preformance, but they don't totally replace the infantryman, more act with/for him.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Enricko
Padawan Learner

Post by Enricko »

It's more probable that we'll have robotic tanks and fighter planes than droid infantry. But like those robots who are using in the bomb squads, human-size robots could be useful in certain situations, like breaching a door. Not that we'll be able to make a bulletproof droid, but at least a soldier that don't mind being shoot at!
"We don't suspend disbelief, we hang it until it's dead!"
Major Cam Corder, Sevgates Cartoon Strip

MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE
HRogge
Jedi Master

Post by HRogge »

Small robots ( similar to remote controlled cars for kids ) could be very useful to gather sensor data about foreign territory.
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

HRogge wrote:Small robots ( similar to remote controlled cars for kids ) could be very useful to gather sensor data about foreign territory.
And my Robot Spiders Of Death would not only be able to perform that task, but also incinerate their foes as well.

HRogge
Jedi Master

Post by HRogge »

The small robots I'm talking about do exist already. The MIT has build a 6 pound automonous robot with 180 sensors ( 6 leg-robot ) which they planned to send on a mars mission ( Nasa decided to use another one ).

But how do you plan to store the energy for your "robot of doom" ?
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

HRogge wrote:The small robots I'm talking about do exist already. The MIT has build a 6 pound automonous robot with 180 sensors ( 6 leg-robot ) which they planned to send on a mars mission ( Nasa decided to use another one ).

Why are all of the MIT robots building an Altar to David Bowie?

Spiders from Mars

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:
HRogge wrote:The small robots I'm talking about do exist already. The MIT has build a 6 pound automonous robot with 180 sensors ( 6 leg-robot ) which they planned to send on a mars mission ( Nasa decided to use another one ).

Why are all of the MIT robots building an Altar to David Bowie?

Spiders from Mars
Lol, insects and arachnids are certainly good models for such vehicles. Spy robots in the future will be like dragonflies probably, able to walk and fly stealthily and relay info. back to the base camp.
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

HRogge wrote:But how do you plan to store the energy for your "robot of doom" ?
Ultra-compacted batteries?? Nanotechnological nuclear plants?? Advanced fuel cells? Super-effective solar cells? I really don't know. But I recall reading in a magazine that these arachnid robots would make good military robots if armed with microwave rays.

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Re: robot warriors

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Enforcer Talen wrote:is it plausible for droids to be used as armies in the future?
We've basically been using robots as weapons since the invention of the self-propelled torpedo. Though in the last 15 years or so things have really heated up, with munitions now entering service that can ID and attack a target based off a picture. Really evil is a mine program the US Army is working on, each mine will be mobile and after one detonates the whole field will move around to close the gap.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Mutant Headcrab
Jedi Knight

Post by Mutant Headcrab »

While bipedal robots are an idea that has been slammed repeatedly, you can't deny they are pretty cool. However, its more likely the robots we get are the four or six leg variants. Unless of course we develop one of those Anime' uber-techs in the future. The chances of that though..... :?
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Mutant Headcrab wrote:While bipedal robots are an idea that has been slammed repeatedly, you can't deny they are pretty cool. However, its more likely the robots we get are the four or six leg variants. Unless of course we develop one of those Anime' uber-techs in the future. The chances of that though..... :?
Even if we had technology to make them feasible, it would promptly be obliterated in action by conventional vehicles built with the same stuff.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
HRogge
Jedi Master

Post by HRogge »

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Mutant Headcrab wrote:While bipedal robots are an idea that has been slammed repeatedly, you can't deny they are pretty cool. However, its more likely the robots we get are the four or six leg variants. Unless of course we develop one of those Anime' uber-techs in the future. The chances of that though..... :?
Even if we had technology to make them feasible, it would promptly be obliterated in action by conventional vehicles built with the same stuff.
But but - its GUNDANIUM!!!!

Anyhow, it still is pretty cool from time to time to watch Gasaraki and how the conventional forces react when the mechs turn up.

Sure it ain't realistic, but damn, its cool.
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Mutant Headcrab wrote: However, its more likely the robots we get are the four or six leg variants.
The reason for this is that they are less likely to fall over. And there are few things cooler than Robot Spiders Of Death!

Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Re: robot warriors

Post by Howedar »

Enforcer Talen wrote:is it plausible for droids to be used as armies in the future?
No! It is impossible! It shall never happen for a million years!!

There, we're guarenteed robot wars now.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.