Star Crossed Fanfic

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Most impressive. The way you delve into Kirk's psyche is simultaneously fascinating and frightening.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Dalton wrote:Most impressive. The way you delve into Kirk's psyche is simultaneously fascinating and frightening.
i say its just freaky
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

I'm now about 13 chapters in and now my most common though as I'm reading is "that would make a fucking awsome scene in a movie"
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

anarchistbunny wrote:I'm now about 13 chapters in and now my most common though as I'm reading is "that would make a fucking awsome scene in a movie"
Keep em coming, its always nice to see someone starting the story fresh from the beginning, glad its held up pretty well.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
russellb6666
Rabid Monkey

Post by russellb6666 »

damn you stravo I thought you updated DAMN YOU!!!!!!j/k :P
I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here

unleash the power of mediocrity

It's not that i'm a wimp it's just that i have trouble eatting food that looks the same coming out as it did going in

I want you to hit me as hard as you can

Brotherhood of the Monkey
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

*Points nd laughs at russellb6666*

Just do what most of us do and have the board watch the cleaned thread.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Anarchist Bunny

Stravo wrote:
anarchistbunny wrote:I'm now about 13 chapters in and now my most common though as I'm reading is "that would make a fucking awsome scene in a movie"
Keep em coming, its always nice to see someone starting the story fresh from the beginning, glad its held up pretty well.
Well, I read the first two and a half chapters, but it was about 4th or so chapter that I really started getting into it, about the time the Data copies were revealed as S31's crew. I think I read 5 chapters in two hours that night.
Wiilite
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Finally got off my lazy ass and read this chapter and....WOW....

I don't know what Phong's problem is, but this is easily one of the most interesting chapters yet (falling just short of the Nemesis/Ochoa bits IMHO). We really get to see what Kirk was thinking all along. It would be intersting to go back and read the earlier chapters knowing what we know now. And a minor nitpick for you: I don't think Kirk would ever be caught saying something about how he, "got my ass handed to me."

Hope to see some parrallels from TESB on Dagobah and the next chapter (or whenever we get back to Kirk). Hopefully a little less cryptic though. Not that straightforward is always the right choice either...

Excellent as per usual.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Anarchist Bunny

I also would like to express my anger in how you stole my idea, even though I never posted it and probly came up with it after you started writing Starcrossed. :P

Ofcourse my idea of the secret Starfleet use of forgotten tech was just one ship and more of the idea for a series.
Wiilite
Skelron
Jedi Master

Post by Skelron »

Dark Primus wrote: Even defending Andor would be waste of resources and stupid.
Hardly Yes defeat is almost certain, BUT too not fight would finish them even quicker. Andor is their Last support base, to lose it would finish them The Feds would lose heart, when Andor fell. It's come to repersent more than a simple base of Operations I'd imagine it would be now almost as important to them as Kirk. Should Andor fall the Rebel Feds fall, whether they are there or not. So they might as well be there and fight, perhaps the unexpected can happen, perhaps miracles can save them... It's a hope 'a fighting chance for Victory' rather than instant defeat.
From a review of the two Towers.... 'As for Gimli being comic relief, what if your comic relief had a huge axe and fells dozens of Orcs? That's a pretty cool comic relief. '
Admiral_K
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by Admiral_K »

New chapter is long overdue! Where is it! :o
russellb6666
Rabid Monkey

Post by russellb6666 »

NEED NEW STAR CROSSED CHAPTER NOW!!!!!!!!!! GAHHHH! (starts wamming head into computer desk) I (wam!!!) Need (wam!!! wam!!!) New (Wam!!1) Star Crossed!!!! (wam!!!!! wam!!!!! wam!!!!!) I think i brused my brain oww
I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here

unleash the power of mediocrity

It's not that i'm a wimp it's just that i have trouble eatting food that looks the same coming out as it did going in

I want you to hit me as hard as you can

Brotherhood of the Monkey
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

russellb6666 wrote:NEED NEW STAR CROSSED CHAPTER NOW!!!!!!!!!! GAHHHH! (starts wamming head into computer desk) I (wam!!!) Need (wam!!! wam!!!) New (Wam!!1) Star Crossed!!!! (wam!!!!! wam!!!!! wam!!!!!) I think i brused my brain oww
after that display. I dont think you have any.
And stop whinig u cant hurry genius. Seriously Take as long as u need Stravo
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

Patience guys, there is no rushing if you rush a miricle man you get rotten miricles (cookie if you can name the movie!)
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Isolder74 wrote:Patience guys, there is no rushing if you rush a miricle man you get rotten miricles (cookie if you can name the movie!)
Princess Bride.

I am getting antsy though Stravo, I need my hit of Starcrossed.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

I HATE to respond when I know this will bring a ravening horde of addicts screaming into the thread but you guys need to know that work is INSANE this week and last week. There will be no updates at least for another week, sorry, but such is RL, always intruding when its not wanted or needed.

Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Stravo wrote:I HATE to respond when I know this will bring a ravening horde of addicts screaming into the thread but you guys need to know that work is INSANE this week and last week. There will be no updates at least for another week, sorry, but such is RL, always intruding when its not wanted or needed.
:cry: :cry: It's ok Stravo, take all the time you need. We completely understand if you are busy.

*Cyran glares at everyone behind him and pulls out his stabby knife.* Right...guys?... :twisted: :evil:
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Captain_Cyran wrote:
Stravo wrote:I HATE to respond when I know this will bring a ravening horde of addicts screaming into the thread but you guys need to know that work is INSANE this week and last week. There will be no updates at least for another week, sorry, but such is RL, always intruding when its not wanted or needed.
:cry: :cry: It's ok Stravo, take all the time you need. We completely understand if you are busy.

*Cyran glares at everyone behind him and pulls out his stabby knife.* Right...guys?... :twisted: :evil:
:banghead: i said that in the first place! but does anyone pay anyatention to me?
NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOO!!
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

Captain_Cyran wrote:
Isolder74 wrote:Patience guys, there is no rushing if you rush a miricle man you get rotten miricles (cookie if you can name the movie!)
Princess Bride.

Flings Captian Cyran a Chocolate Chip Cookie
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Isolder74 wrote:
Captain_Cyran wrote:
Princess Bride.

Flings Captian Cyran a Chocolate Chip Cookie

we need more than chocolate chip cookies! although cookies are nice.
rocks back ann forth mumbling "....stravo is coming.....yeah yeah,.....and he has another chapter....yeah, yeah......."
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Rightous Fist Of Heaven
Jedi Master

Post by Rightous Fist Of Heaven »

Dude, after the moments of anquish, joy and amazement you have offered us in Star Crossed and are willing to offer us even more i can say nothing else than take your time and perfect your work to the best of your ability so we have something to be thrilled and excited over.

In short, RL is a bitch but by god give us some new Star Crossed soon in all its glory so we can once again praise your clever writing 8)
"The ones they built at the height of nuclear weapons could knock the earth out of its orbit" - Physics expert Envy in reference to the hydrogen bombs built during the cold war.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Take your time, good things come to those who wait.
Anarchist Bunny

Well I read up to chapter 19.

The exact chaper right after I had decided that it would be a bad idea to include forum related humor in the otherwise series story, Scooter and TJ get a multimegaton blast at point blank.

Otherwise it's still as good as previous chapters.
Wiilite
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Sorry for the delay in this chapter but its been insanely busy at work and it finally slowed down enough for me to write.

Chapter 50: Confrontations

The stillness of the Admiral’s office was quickly broken by the sound of many footsteps and raised voices. Grand Admiral Kittaine sighed softly and glanced down at the holo of his long dead wife. She had been so understanding, so quiet. She had never once complained of his months away on duty or his divided attentions. She did not raise her voice ever to him, always smiling that mysterious smile of hers as if she knew something he did not. She always knew how to soothe him and when he was told in no uncertain terms that he would never rise above a simple fleet command she was there to soothe his battered ego.

A simple touch to his temple and a soft whisper was all that it took to tear Gideon Kittaine from his turmoil and bring him a brief respite. She had died in the winter of his 59th year. All too brief a life together. She had never been able to give him children, and he had never cared. He knew that it had savaged her emotions for years but it eventually became evident to her that he did not care. As long as he had her, children were merely a luxury, one that he could afford to live without.

Then she slowly saw how he embraced his fleet commanders as surrogate children and she became their surrogate mother. It was she that was there for the captains that had no families, waiting for them when they were on leave so that there was someone waiting for them when they came home. She was the midwife in so many births, she was there to celebrate every fleet commander promoted and there to comfort those that floundered or were punished. Of one of his men died in combat she was the first to visit the wives or family to deliver personal condolences.

When his dear heart died the funeral was attended by ever fleet commander that had served with him during his lifetime. The turnout was enormous and some passerby’s would ask if it was a state funeral. The reply still brought a tear to his haggard old eyes. One of the youngest fleet captains replied.

“Yes, an Imperial fleet mother died today. We’re her children giving her a send off worthy of her.”

How he wanted her touch now.

“Altair, you were far too good for me.” he whispered softly and touched the holoimage. It shimmered slightly, the electro magnetic field distorted by the passage of his hand.

The doors to his office snapped open and Captain Branna was speaking rapidly to Lord Vader who was striding in like a ghost out of legend, black armor shining and long black cape fanned out like the wings of some predator stood in the doorway for a moment, his mechanical breathing lending an air of pending doom to the moment. Behind him was the all too familiar white uniform of Grand Admiral Thrawn who was flanked by Captain Jerjerrod.

“As I told you Lord Vader, Grand Admiral Kittaine was just about to come meet you all in the conference room. There is no need to—”

Vader pinned Branna with a deadly stare, his black helmet and inky black lenses focused completely on Branna for a moment and the young Captain stopped in mid-sentence, mouth slightly open before snapping it shut and standing still at attention.

“You will not speak to me again unless I address you Captain.” Vader breathed and turned his attention back to Kittaine. He strode into the room, immediately filling it with a chilling presence as Thrawn followed. Kittaine noted the stormtrooper retinue behind him.

Kittaine inclined his head slightly to Branna who noted the retinue as well and quickly pressed a stud on his utility belt.

“To what do I owe this honor?” Kittaine asked quietly, standing with his hands loosely clasped behind his back.

“You may dispense with the pleasantries, Admiral. Do not insult our intelligence by claiming ignorance and what has brought us here.” Vader replied in a low throaty growl.

Thrawn remained standing silently by Vader, hands at his sides and glowing red eyes boring into Kittaine’s. Jerjerrod looked slightly ill at ease, there seemed to be an air of confusion about him of late, but there was no doubt he was angry at Kittaine. His glare was open and defiant.

“I must add Lord Vader that my uniform and rank insignia are those of a Grand Admiral.” Kittaine replied evenly.

Vader’s head inclined slightly.

“What did you say?”

“I think I made myself clear, Lord Vader. The honor is to the rank not the man.”

“A Grand Admiral of what?” Jerjerrod exclaimed angrily. Thrawn remained impassive, eyes fixed o Kittaine. It was unnerving to say the least.

“Have a care, Captain.” Branna snapped.

“This is an Imperial fleet dispatched by the Emperor to test fire the ship mounted superlaser on the Si Ruuk homeworld and bring them under our heel. You have been flung to this far corner of the universe and you think that gives you the right to declare this fleet a sovereign entity?” Jerjerrod demanded.

Thrawn put a restraining hand on Jerjerrod’s elbow, light barely noticeable but enough to let him know that he had said too much.

Kittaine’s eyes narrowed on the party.

“You come onto my ship and have the audacity to accuse me of something. Come out and say it Jerjerrod but have a care. My patience has its limits for my brethren that have not walked in our shoes.” Kittaine’s voice had a dangerous edge.

“It is you who will have a care, Admiral.” Vader pointed a black gauntlet at Kittaine.

There was a sound of rushing footsteps and Jerjerrod and the stormtrooper contingent turned around suddenly to face over a dozen stormtroopers led by an officer and a regal woman dressed in an Imperial uniform. She was not Imperial, that much was clear from the eyes and her marked discomfort in the uniform.

“What is this?” Jerjerrod demanded.

“Impressive, Admiral, most impressive.” Vader replied coolly.

“Merely a welcoming committee for my distinguished guests.”

“Is this really necessary? We are officers after all.” Thrawn finally spoke.

Kittaine smiled softly.

“That did not stop you bringing your own honor guard with you did it, Grand Admiral.”

“Where is Lord Nemesis?” Vader demanded.

“One thing at a time, Lord Vader. Lord nemesis has left me in command of the Imperium fleet.” Kittaine motioned for the woman to enter the office. She stepped through the crowded entrance and past Thrawn and Vader, shuddering slightly as she passed Vader before finally standing next to Kittaine.

“As such any questions you have for him can be addressed to me.”

“I truly doubt that.” Vader replied darkly.

Thrawn’s eyes now left Kittaine and settled on the older woman who stood by his side.

“Are our meetings now open to natives of this realm?” Thrawn asked quietly.

Kittaine nodded to himself. He should have known better than think he could have fooled Thrawn. But Thrawn could not know his true ace in the hole.

“This is Luiaxanna Troi, a new aide to my fleet, a member of the now conquered Federation she is the first of many that we will integrate into the Imperium. The first of a new generation of officers.” Kittaine stated proudly.

“It is an honor and a privilege to serve in the Imperium fleet.” Luiaxanna replied tersely. “It helps of course that your people threatened to reduce my world to a ball of magma.” She added.

Kittaine kept a straight face. He had been warned by his intelligence staff that she was willful but by far the most talented of the telepaths with the experience that he sought from the Betazoids. This willfulness however was not helpful at this moment. He briefly toyed with the idea of giving her to Vader to discipline in the hopes that it would placate the dark lord and set an example for the replacement Betazoid that was sent, but quickly discarded the idea.

“Grand Admiral Kittaine, your fleet is skillful and as of this moment has combat experience nearly equivalent to my own, but your fleet has the distinct advantage of having combat experience against the foes, technical level and tactics one can expect from this galaxy.”

Kittaine remained silent. Jerjerrod eyed the dozen stormtroopers surrounding them outside the office, they stood at attention but he noticed how their hands were not far from their blasters and Thrawn’s own honor guard were not at ease. They continued staring at Kittaine’s troopers. This was unprecedented, Stormtroopers against stormtroopers. Such rebellions were unheard of back home. Stormtroopers were always the backbone of Imperial strength, never wavering in their dedication.

How then was it that Kittaine had made them into his own personal army?

Vader had assured them on their way over in the shuttle that if anyone could bend the will of the stormtroopers to his own it would be Lord Nemesis. There was an odd note of pride in his voice that Jerjerrod always heard when Vader spoke of Nemesis. There were rumors back on Coruscant, rumors best not repeated in certain company that there was a relationship between Vader and Nemesis. That Vader had been plainly obsessed with finding Nemesis back when he was Luke Skywalker.

“So tell me, considering the fact that your fleet has become rather adept at fighting and defeating the enemies of this galaxy why would your finest fleet captain commence such a gross navigational error and fail to close the gap allowing the Federation remnant to escape?” Thrawn asked icily.

“Captain Tarsi has been reprimanded for his error. Our captains are not machines Grand Admiral. They will make mistakes. I warned you against this attack until we were ready.”

Thrawn watched Kittaine and glanced over at the woman.

“And you should know that our captains should be able to complete a simple englobement with minimal ease. I was not asking your fleet to complete any esoteric stratagems.”

“Shall we cut through the political trivialities? You are here to accuse me of something and I want to know what it is.”

“Will you make us say it?” Jerjerrod pressed.

“Nothing means anything unless you come out and say it, Captain. I would have thought you learned that lesson by now.” Kittaine replied calmly.

Branna smiled. Luiaxanna spared a moment to examine the so called “Grand” Admiral with a discerning eye. He was tall and handsome, but then again, she always had a weakness for human men, there was something so vulnerable about them. The only thing truly grand about him was how he kept that white uniform immaculate. But there was something else to, a stubborn pride that had long remained dormant. This man had spent many years being told by the powers that be that he would no longer ascend, that his place was fixed, that he was a relic of a bygone era. Now he was given a hint that he was more than what the powers told him he was and that old fighter he had been in his youth was slowly waking up.

It was exhilarating to feel his mind slowly awakening to the possibility and she could not help but smile softly in response.

“You have intentionally put this fleet and its personnel at risk.” Thrawn stated gravely without hesitation.

“You are a traitor to the Emperor and your treason will not be countenanced.” Vader snapped angrily, impatient at the games Thrawn and his minions were playing. By all rights Kittaine should be hanging before him, neck snapping as he crushed his trachea with the Force. Instead he was forced to stand here and speak to a traitor.

Kittaine managed to look surprised.

“Lord Vader I am shocked at these charges. We have fought by your side since arriving here and we managed to remove a particularly troublesome Federation remnant and defeat James Kirk in combat. Where is the treason in that?” Kittaine asked.

“I have had enough of this, Admiral. You will pay the ultimate price for your lack of vision.”

“Will I?” Kittaine asked frostily and made a slight inclination of his head. The stormtroopers behind them snapped up their weapons as one. Thrawn’s honor guard responded by bringing their own weapons to bear and quickly forming a wall in front of Thrawn and Vader.

“What is this!” Jerjerrod exclaimed and reached for his own blaster.

“Hold it right there, Captain. As one officer to another I assure you I will blow your sanctimonious head off if you move that hand another inch.” Branna said coolly as he pressed his blaster into Jerjerrod’s ribs.

Jerjerrod turned his head and stared venomously into Branna’s eyes.

“I hope you’re proud of yourself traitor.” he spat.

Branna shrugged and smiled.

“You play a dangerous game Admiral.” Vader said quietly and the room grew silent as they could all feel the rage in the towering black armored giant. Luiaxanna took a step back as she felt the rage and the thoughts that accompanied it.

“Lord Vader, Grand Admiral Thrawn, I am insulted by your accusation and as such I am expelling you from my ship and fleet until such time as you feel you can address me with the respect I deserve and have earned in this galaxy. I have spent the last two months fighting and watching my men die. Every world we hold has been won with blood of my officers and men.”

“Imperial blood, Admiral. You are intentionally missing the point. When was it that you decided to separate yourself from the people you came from? You never stopped being Imperial but you decided to follow the petty ambitions of a renegade Sith Lord.” Thrawn replied.

“What makes you think I cannot discipline you and your men, Admiral? What makes you think that you are safe now?” Vader asked in a near whisper.

Kittaine swallowed softly, feeling the tough around his throat.

“Because Lord Vader I do not think you are suicidal. You are powerful indeed and I have no doubt that you can kill me.” Luiaxanna stared at Kittaine. She felt his fear, buried deep down but his courage flared outward like a shield as well as a deep satisfying relief that he could do this, that he could make a stand against this armored monstrosity. She felt her own respect growing for him.

“But you would not survive my men. Do you seriously think you can fight your way past the entire stormtrooper contingent of the Emperor’s Will? Do you think that even if you did accomplish such a feat that your shuttle would survive escaping to your ship? You are in the heart of my fleet, Lord Vader. Think on this before you try anything else.”

The only sound for a moment was Vader’s mechanical breathing. Thrawn quietly stepped to the front of the group, straightened his uniform slightly and fixed Kittaine with a stony gaze.

“This meeting is over. I will return to my fleet and I assume that I will be given safe passage back to my fleet. Know this Grand Admiral, any attempt on my life or Lord Vader’s will be met by deadly force by my fleet. It is time that I leave you with some food for thought. You think you have the upper hand here and you do, here and now, but when I return to my fleet I will no longer consider you a fellow officer or a gentlemen. We will continue to cooperate but I see this more as an alliance of convenience. However you should think about the decision you have made here this day. I came here prepared to hear you apologize for your fleet’s actions in the battle which cost us several warships and thousands of dead Imperial troops, you know the kind don’t you? You see, this fleet under my command is in the same position as yours. We are stranded here until I achieve victory.”

Kittaine stiffened.

“I did not share this fact with you because it was unimportant until now, but my mandate is clear. We came here to conquer this galaxy because our emperor, or should I now say MY emperor,” Thrawn’s lips turned up in a cold smile. “ordered me to. He told me there would be no return to our galaxy until this one had been pacified. The men that died yesterday in battle were killed by your actions and all they wanted to do was return to their homes, much like your own fleet must have felt until you allowed a young untried Sith lord who had once been a hero of the Rebel Alliance influence you into this treasonous behavior. You have been played for a fool, Kittaine. Nemesis wants to form his own little empire out here? I’ve met many like him, killed all of them.”

Luiaxanna felt a sharp rise of emotion from Vader. Kittaine had been adamant. Do not scan Vader, he would crush her mind as Nemesis had done to the other Betazoids that had tried to use their psi talents to oppose him. But there were some things that could not be helped. Her eyes narrowed on the imposing figure.

He had strong emotional ties to Lord Nemesis.

“You allowed this boy with delusions of grandeur to influence and corrupt you. You wear that white uniform having done nothing to earn it. Mine means something, Kittaine because it was given to me by the Emperor. Yours was given to you by a boy who only four years ago was scraping mushrooms off of condensers on Tatooine.” Thrawn continued. “Your pathetic attempts to hold on to power here are a symptom of your own descent into corruption and chaos. Do the math Kittaine, my fleet outnumbers yours, I have the best troops and ships, your fleet has been in constant combat since they arrived here, the Relentless is nothing more than a floating junk pile. You have no hope of stopping me when I do decide to come for you. And make no mistake, when this war is over and the Imperial banner flies on every world of this primitive galaxy I will turn my attentions to you and yours and I will purge your fleet until it bleeds white.” Thrawn finished with a sneer.

“Then we have an understanding.” Kittaine replied after a few heartbeats of silence.

“We do. If I were you, Kittaine I would kill me now. There will be no saving you. You are a dead man. But perhaps, if your fleet fights well enough and shortens this campaign I may spare some of your junior officers and men.”

“get out.” Kittaine ordered softly.

Thrawn nodded and turned on his heel to stride out.

“This is not over, Admiral. There will be a reckoning.” Vader added and turned as well, cape flowing behind him like the wings of some great beast.

Thrawn paused at the door and turned his head to face Kittaine.

“I read your dossier before coming here. Your entire record speaks of a man content and satisfied with what was given to him. You were a model officer of the Empire but lacked ambition and drive to ascend further than your post. You made Admiral more by dint of your age and bureaucratic skills than anything else but were plainly told that this and no further. What makes a man like that turn traitor?”

“You don’t know me at all Grand Admiral. And you will find that in this galaxy, not everything is as it seems.” Kittaine turned to Branna. “See Grand Admiral Thrawn and Lord Vader out.”

Branna nodded and motioned politely for them to follow him. The doors to his office closed shut and Kittaine let out the breath he was holding and slumped into his chair.

“That was very dramatic.” Luiaxanna broke the silence. Kittaine looked up from his reverie, noticing her for the first time.

“You can leave, special agent Troi. I’ll debrief you after I have some time to myself.” Kittaine sighed softly.

Luiaxanna clucked and shook her head as she walked over to his chair.

“You humans are all alike, you say one thing and mean another. How your kind has survived or even communicated in any meaningful way without telepathy is beyond me.” she said with a smile.

Kittaine blinked.

“I thought I told you to leave.” he stated in confusion.

“Of course you did because you are in emotional turmoil and you have no idea who to deal with it unless you are alone, a very human male trait I might add and trust me, Grande Admiral Kittaine, I know my human males.” she said with a wink and stood behind his chair and placed her hands on his shoulders.

“That’s Grand Admiral and I meant it. It’s a direct order.”

“I’m sorry Glorious Admiral Kittaine but I have a tendency to go my own way on these matters. I know turmoil when I sense it and there’s a quick way to deal with it.” she replied as her hands started massaging the shoulders, finding the areas of tension quickly and expertly and attacking them with hard steady fingers.

“Woman you----by the Emperor that feels good.” Kittaine said with surprise.

“I can’t bear to see a man gripped by tension, particularly a handsome commanding presence like yourself.”

“Indeed?” he replied, unsure what to say but unable to deny how glorious her hands felt. He sighed to himself and relaxed in his chair.

“I find that most men would rather be gripped by me than by tension, but I don’t mean to toot my own horn as my daughter would say.”

“You have a daughter?” Kittaine asked.

“Yes, surely a man like yourself has children---ah---I apologize.”

“Did you just read my mind without my permission?” Kittaine asked in annoyance, surprised by how relaxed he felt. He really should be furious with her.

“A habit of mine, you have to understand that on my world we speak on two levels, plain speech and telepathic conversations. It can be quite exhilarating and a habit that is very hard to break among the mind blind, you poor dears.”

“Special Agent Troi—“

“Call me Luiaxanna.”

“I prefer that we maintain protocol.”

“Luiaxanna is much easier to say than Special Agent Troi and yes, he will indeed carry out his threat. He hates everything you stand for and he hasn’t told you everything. There’s something else about his fleet that he is not telling you.”

“What?”

“Unfortunately I couldn’t probe too deeply in case Vader may have detected my actions.”

“Quite right.” Kittaine nodded.

“But there is no doubt. Thrawn means to destroy this fleet as soon as the war is over.”

“Then the die is cast and we must make plans of our own.”

“Like what?”

“That my dear is the penultimate question and one that I am supremely unqualified to answer.”

“Lord Nemesis?”

“He’s our only way out of this and I have no idea where he is.”

Luiaxanna nodded absently as she worked on a particularly troublesome knot at the base of his neck.

“Good god woman, I have had that there since we arrived in your galaxy and now its gone. What sort of sorceress are you?”

“The kind that could prove very useful to you in the future” she replied with a smirk.

“Standing by.”

“Picking up targeting scanners.”

“All powers to weapons.”

A sharp whine sounded on the bridge, the officers and men moved about silently doing their duties in the blood red lights of the battle stations alert.

“We’ve been spiked!”

“Begin your attack run, initiate shield randomization.” Archer ordered.

“Rotating shield frequencies on a 7 millisecond cycle.” Seven replied as her hands flew over the science station controls.

“Rotate phaser modulation to the higher EM bands.” Picard added as he glanced over the tactical officer’s shoulder. The Defiant shook as a barrage of green plasma torpedoes blossomed around them into balls of fire.

“Steady as she goes, make every shot count.” Archer ordered and stared hard at the looming Borg monstrosity on the screen. A Sovereign class cruiser, the Valhalla, had four Borg cubes fused to certain parts of its hull while tell take Borg implants were slowly growing out of the starship’s ivory hull.

The Defiant’s pulse phasers opened up and a steady crimson barrage of fire pounded along one of the support struts leading from the Valhalla’s secondary hull to one of the Borg cubes. The metal conduit exploded into a cloud of debris and hot gasses. The phaser barrage continued walking up the shattered conduit and chewed into the lower portion of the cube’s hull.

The Defiant then broke contact and began a spiraling spin downward, releasing a spread of quantum torpedoes that exploded along the bottom portion of the damaged cube and partially engulfed the starboard nacelle of the Valhalla.

A storm of Borg fire followed the Defiant down into its dive. Her shields flared up brightly as several shots impacted on or near the compact but deadly starship.

“Not as fast or as efficient as I thought it would be.” Picard noted.

“Indeed, this vessel is far more powerful than a standard cube but its fire is not as coordinated or precise as standard Borg weapons.” Seven added.

“It might have to do with the fact that she’s on that ship controlling it by herself. We’re pretty sure that every Borg died or went into some sort of coma when the Collective was destroyed.” Archer replied holding onto his command seat’s armrests as the Defiant lurched forward from a direct hit.

“Shields down to 67%.”

“R-7 do you sense any activity from the crew?” Picard asked his android XO.

R-7 stared at the screen for a moment as if listening to a far off sound. An explosion filled the screen as a volley of torpedoes crossed the Defiant’s path. The helmsman reacted on pure instinct, sending the Defiant into a desperate climb away from the rapidly expanding ball of plasma as the weapons officer found a target and released another burst from the phasers.

“No Captain Picard. There is no activity from any of the transmitters on board. This would indicate that none of the androids are functioning.”

Picard nodded slowly.

“She is running that ship by herself and it might prove to be too much even for her. She wasn’t expecting us.” Picard noted with a soft smile.

“How do you know?” Archer asked.

“She and I have a bond you see, a bond that is not easily broken.” Picard replied and walked over to stand by Archer.

“Captain, I think that we may need to undertake a risky strategy.”

Archer laughed softly to himself and shook his head.

“Captain Picard we have escaped the Borg unimatrix after being brought to the heart of their Collective, survived the greatest Imperial offensive yet in this galaxy and tracked this warship back to the home system of the Borg. I would say that risky is no longer in our vocabulary.”

Picard smiled.

“Very well, Captain. I propose that we beam me over to the Valhalla.”

“What?”

The Defiant shook more violently now and the helmsman cursed as the Borg weapons began striking them more rapidly and often.

“They’re getting our range sir.” the tactical officer warned.

“We don’t have much time, Captain.”

“What will it serve besides you getting assimilated?” Archer asked sharply.

“I have an idea how to end this quickly and in one swift stroke, but I need to get aboard. She may not be able to handle that monster as easily as a fully manned cube but it is only a matter of time before she destroys this ship. We are outclassed and outmatched. We need to resort to unconventional strategies and besides Seven of Nine there is no one else here that knows the Borg as I do.”

Archer and Picard exchanged a long hard stare and it was broken as a counsel exploded behind them and the Defiant pitched wildly to starboard, driven by a hard series of blasts.

“Permission to accompany Captain Picard.” Seven interjected.

“No.” Archer and Picard replied simultaneously.

Seven looked from one Captain to the other.

“If the mission is assassinating the Borg Queen I see no logical reason why I should not go.”

“Seven-“ Archer began.

“Seven, this is a personal battle betweens she and I. Captain Archer needs your experience and expertise. Besides if I fail we need a backup plan and you are it.”

Seven blinked and looked between each Captain again. She saw the hard expression in Archer’s face and she wanted to reach out and touch his cheek. It was an odd compulsion.

“Very well.” she replied reluctantly.

“Alright, Captain, let’s do this. Helm, keep us in transporter range and find me an opening in that shield grid to beam someone aboard.”

“I have detected power fluctuations in the starboard nacelle coupling.” Seven replied as she glanced down at her scanner display. “I can time the transporter to beam over in between fluctuations.”

“That sounds like the best I am going to get.” Picard replied and nodded to R-7. “I’ll need your help, R-7.”

“I am at your command, Captain. I see no need to ask my acquiescence.” R-7 replied matter of factly.

Picard frowned.

“I would like just once for you to do something of your own initiative.” Picard said as he nodded to Archer and walked off the bridge followed by R-7.

“I am what I am, Captain.” R-7 replied as the turbolift doors hissed shut.

“Full evasive and lets try to punch some more holes in that shield grid.” Archer ordered as he quickly scanned his tactical displays.

“Aye Aye sir.”

The Defiant swung around in a hard turn, several bright green plasma torpedoes flashed by the space where they had been mere moments before and exploded behind them as they accelerated towards the Borg vessel. The pulse phasers spat forth another steady stream of fire, concentrating on the conduits anchoring the dorsal cube to the Valhalla’s primary hull.

“Hold this course and pour more fire in there!” Archer barked as the bridge shook violently, several Borg phasers were now cutting down on the rapidly approaching starship, her shields flared up as each beam bit into the bow.

The stream of pulse phaser fire finally tore through the thick base of the conduit and it exploded outward, sending the bottom most cube falling away from the Valhalla.

The Defiant broke off its attack run but several phasers followed it in steady shots that blasted away at the rear most shields. As the shields’ glow weakened a barrage of torpedo fire sailed into the Defiant before it could react, the starship tumbled madly away.

“Emergency power to the engines!”

“We have hull breach on deck three, structural integrity fields are failing.”

“I want us stabilized ASAP!” Archer ordered and glanced over at Seven.

“Are you ready?”

“You opened up quite a hole in their shield grid, yes sir, I am.” she replied.

Archer slapped his comcontrol.

“Picard, you don’t have much time.”

“Understood, Captain. Energizing.”

Archer turned his attention back to the battle as the helmsman finally stabilized the Defiant.

“We need breathing room to get some emergency repairs underway, use the planet’s moon as cover.”

“Aye sir.”

The Defiant broke off and raced towards the shattered moon in orbit of the third planet. The Borg vessel, wounded and trailing debris and plasma did not hesitate and immediately took up chase, sickly green tractor beams lancing out into the void hungrily searching for the retreating starship.

“Why do you come here again, you already know our answer.” Ayelbourne stated gravely as he walked through the mud caked street of the town.

“This is no longer a simple matter of direct intervention. He is planning something.”

“Considering the fact that reality is unraveling around us, what can come of these plans? Ruling the universe, a typically human fantasy is short lived as the universe will end very soon.”

“How soon?” Q pressed.

Ayelbourne stopped as a horse and carriage slowly clopped by them. He seemed to be looking at the sky as if judging the weather.

“Very.”

“That’s so accurate, have you ever thought of taking that act on the road?” Q asked. Charlie Evans was standing on the steps of the town hall, balancing himself on one leg as he watched the simple folk of Organia go about their business.

“Why is he here, Q? It is enough of a transgression to come to this world unbidden but in case you may have forgotten we WANT the universe to forget our existence. His presence here is painful for us and you know that.”

“Oh, really, you must forgive me, my mind has been on far weightier matters than whether the presence of humans bothers your delicate balance.”

Ayelbourne sighed softly and shook his head.

“Why do you insist upon lying to those that cannot be lied to. We are as ancient as your people, why continue this charade that we are what we appear to be. Q, the first lesson of godhood is that not everything is what it seems to be.”

“I skipped school on that day, Ayelbourne, besides my people have never stooped so low that we emulate our more less advanced past. What do you gain from living your lives in a corporeal state like this.” Q asked wrinkling his nose in disgust as he avoided a pile of horse droppings sitting plainly in the middle of the street.

“Peace and serenity, something that you have never fully appreciated, Q.” Ayelbourne paused as he watched the young human male still balancing on one leg and holding his arms out to counter the swaying of his upper body.

“Just what is he doing?”

“I told him that if he wanted to sharpen his powers and perceptions he needed to undertake some exercises that I suggested.”

Ayelbourne slowly turned his head to look over at Q.

“You are making a fool of that young man.”

Q shrugged and smiled.

“Frankly, that one legged balancing fool has proven far more helpful to my cause than any of you other so called gods.” Q added with a frown.

“Your cause is not yet proven. You wish us to oppose Gary Mitchell but we have no evidence that he is planning anything that needs our intervention.”

“Evidence? Have you sat in on any of our game? Have you seen the war raging around you?”

“If he chooses to spend the last waning moments of reality in conflict and bloodshed then who are we to stop it? It would be very human of him if he did so.” Ayelbourne replied with a frown of distaste.

“I am firmly convinced now that this whole game, the war, his revenge on Kirk are all an elaborate scheme to make us think precisely that but he is planning something.”

Ayelbourne stopped to pat a horse on its nose.

“Q, what precisely can one do in the face of oblivion?” Ayelbourne asked seriously.

“I don’t know, but humans have a disturbing tendency to shake their fists at the coming storm and achieve the impossible. Can we consider for one moment that perhaps this human become god has thought of something that we have not?” Q replied coolly.

Ayelbourne remained silent as a storm front became visible just above the horizon.

The Deathstar exited hyperspace in the Sluis Sector, the enormous half constructed battle station was quickly lost in the shadow of a large gas giant where it settled into a low orbit. The massive warship powered down systems to remain invisible and silent. No one was to know of its deployment here, even the fleet admirals on Coruscant did not know where the Emperor had taken the pride of his fleet.

Fear was slowly spreading through some of the upper echelons, fear of what the Emperor may be planning with his deathstar. Others were aware of Grand Admiral Thrawn's return and fearful contemplation of what a fleet commanded by Thrawn supported by the Deathstar could do.

The Emperor could feel the fear even out here and it was good.

He clicked on his communicator on the armrest of his command chair as he watched the void from the massive window of his throne room.

“Commander, you will await my orders until then the deathstar is to remain as silent as a tomb.”

“Understood, my lord.”

The Emperor switched off the communicator and glanced over at the three dimensional chessboard set up by the side of his throne. He smiled coldly, his yellow parchment like skin wrinkled with the maniacal gleam in his eyes.

“All is proceeding as we have foreseen.” he whispered.

Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

1st

Goood
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est