Judgment of Steel (Transformers Fanfic)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

I just wanted to know who Stickied this out of curiosity?
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Stravo wrote:I just wanted to know who Stickied this out of curiosity?
*shrugs*
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

*whistles innocently*
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

David wrote:*whistles innocently*
I recall, as to how it works, is that you made a "cleaned up fanfic" thread, rather than just stickying the entire thread...
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

I could have sworn I unstickied this awhile back, oh well.

[mod voice]WE DEMAND AN UPDATE[/mod voice]
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

You SOB! I saw Starcrossed at the top and looked for a new chapter and found none! :evil:
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Chapter 2: Revelations in the Dark

Rain on Cybertron was a rarity, most of the planet had a very thin atmosphere making the formation of clouds and thus rain very difficult. Some Cybertronian scholars postulated that back in Cybertron’s ancient past, the machine world may have actually been a normal world, complete with oceans, mountains, forests and all the other requirements of organic life and that for some reason, some odd twist of fate, mechanical life evolved on Cybertron.

These early mechanical life forms slowly changed their world over time to better suit their needs until Cybertron’s old planetary core was simply stripped down into the machine world that it was now.

The rain however was a gentle reminder of Cybertron’s past.

At least those were the stories that Bumblebee heard when he was working with the engineers in Wheeljack’s labs.

Right now, Bumblebee wished he was back in those labs as he walked past the enormous double doors and past a squadron of very severe looking Decepticon warriors, many who eyed him with some suspicion.

Bumblebee hated this part of his job. He had been thrilled when he was first chosen to be on Optimus Prime’s staff. The youngest Autobot to hold the honor of being in Prime’s retinue but as the youngest it was also his duty to take care of some of the more menial duties. Unfortunately for Bumblebee this also included messenger service to the Decepticons.

Bumblebee had meekly suggested simply transmitting the data to the Decepticons but Prime was adamant that the data and reports be hand delivered to the Decepticons. Prime felt that personal contact was necessary to maintain the ties between the two factions.

Bumblebee just wished he wasn’t the one that had to make the deliveries.

He held the small disk in his hand as he tried to walk casually through the cavernous corridors of the Decepticon headquarters. He entered the Path of Heroes that led to the headquarters.

The Path of Heroes was lined by holographic representations of the greatest Decepticon heroes in their history. Bold and powerful transformers stood proudly watching whoever passed the path. It made Bumblebee nervous as he tried to avoid their staring photoreceptors and looked down at the crystal floor. Names were constantly scrolling along the crystal, the names were the Decepticons who had perished and given their lives for Cybertron.

The Decepticons flaunted their place in the world. It troubled Bumblebee that they embraced termination of function so readily. Bumblebee could not grasp the desire to fight and possibly die. The concept was alien to him and the Decepticons were very intimidating, carrying their weapons with them openly, striding along the autobot masses like giants, it was disconcerting, particularly for an autobot as small as he was to walk among them.

There was also another feeling that he tried to bury beneath the discomfort and observations. It was a feeling of shame that burned in him whenever he walked down this Path. Shame that there was a sense of relief when he saw the names, relief that these Decepticons were willing to fight and die when he was not. He was glad that they had made a decision he did not think he could make. He was glad that they had died and he had not.

He finished walking down the Path, several Decepticons strode past him without sparing him a glance. The Path led to the Garden of Honor. Built from the semi organic metal trees that grew from the patches of old soil that still peeked out from the miles of conduit and steel. The Autobots had a similar garden in their base, called the Garden of Solitude. Autobots cane here fro quiet contemplation and processing new data without interruption.

The Decepticons viewed their garden as a sort of memorial, in fact, Bumblebee was fairly certain that memorials were the vast majority of the Decepticon contribution to Cybertron’s architecture. You couldn’t walk a block without seeing a monument or memorial to some fallen Decepticon or Battle.

Bumblebee did not understand this need to remember. Transformers had flawless memories and he remembered Optimus once saying that every transformer had a chance at immortality, because as long as one transformer remained functioning it would remember you and so you would live on.

Bumblebee would much rather be alive period.

He paused in the garden for a moment, looking up at the sky, the gardens always had opened domes to allow the sun to directly touch the plants. There was a clear demarcation between older and younger autobots depending on how many suns you could remember. During the first great age under the tyrant Controllers, Cybertron orbited a G2 class star, bright and yellow. After the great Crusade led by Justicus Prime and Galvatron the Controllers, their last act of evil teleported Cybertron into this far flung star system, orbiting a dimmer red star. It was the only star that Bumblebee had known but he had seen holovids of the previous age and the skies and everything looked so much more different under that bright yellow light, almost as if it were a sign of how bright the past had been and how dark their future looked ahead.

He shook his head and muttered to himself “There you go thinking too much.”.

“Thinking is what makes us different from the other machines that fleshlings control and build.”

Bumblebee nearly jumped at the sudden intrusion and whirled around.

There was the unmistakable sound of a transformation in progress and a tall purple telescope that had been in the corner suddenly morphed into the tall specter of Shockwave, the Decepticon second in command. The rain was quietly dropping down into the garden, striking the metallic leaves creating a strange chime like sound.

Shockwave stared down at Bumblebee with his one great eye, the rain was pattering against his armored hide and ran in rivulets down his face plate, creating twin streams on each side of his white glowing eye, a waterfall ending at the bottom against his broad chest.

“Uh, I didn’t mean to interrupt you.”

Shockwave stood up taller.

“No interruption was made. I was in the midst of a survey of the stars in this quadrant of the sky. You are here with the report we requested from the autobots?”

“Uh, yeah.” Bumblebee replied and hesitantly held the disk out in his hand.

“Did you know that in the rest of the galaxy, as far as we have been able to tell, we are the only sentient machines?”

Bumblebee stared up at the giant as it casually took the disk out of his hand, his photoreceptors drifted down to Shockwave’s other hand which was not a hand at all but a cannon.

“No, I didn’t know that. We autobots don’t get out much.”

Shockwave’s glowing white eye hummed as it focused on Bumblebee.

“We have warred against dozens of civilizations and in every single instance, they used machines as simple tools and weapons, even their so called computers are merely simple calculation devices and nothing more, not a hint of intelligence, no spark of life in those cold metal hulks.”

“I was always told that we were special, creations of the Controllers, their finest work.” Bumblebee added.

“The Controllers did not fashion us. They came upon us here on this world, pay no mind to the propaganda of your Autobot elders. We were all once free and living on this world in a state of happiness until the Controllers came here, made us warriors and architects. But before then we were free.”

Bumblebee did not know what to say to that. There were many schools of thought on the ancient days before the Controllers, no transformer yet functioning could remember those times.

“I hope everything you need is in there.”

“Logic will see us through this crisis, autobot.” Shockwave stated as he held the disk up in his hand. “Soundwave.” The tall blue decepticon strode into the garden a moment later.

“Disseminate this data into the Decepticon mainframe and prepare analysis.”

“Acknowledged. Operation commencing.” Soundwave responded, his voice distorted by a strange harmonic that unnerved Bumblebee.

Bumblebee decided that now was the time to beat a hasty retreat. As he started to turn and leave something struck him, something Prime had said once. He turned his head and looked at Shockwave.

“You know, we are not logical creatures. We are beings of passion and emotion. Justice is not a logical thing, nor is loyalty. Those are based off emotion. Love is certainly not logical and I love my fellow autobot.”

Shockwave paused and his eye click whirred as it shrunk down, focusing completely on the small yellow autobot.

“Did you ever consider that the reason we are currently in this energon crisis is because of Autobot inefficiency?”

Bumblebee looked shocked.

“Logical alternatives need to be explored. What do I care for love of my fellow Decepticon, it is logical that only together can we form a cohesive military structure to achieve our common objectives. You autobots regard your functions as part of a free expression of your emotional natures and states. In other words you view your function as more artwork than form and function.”

“Creating something is artistic, at one point in time an autobot created you and invested in you time and passion to create a unique transformer, not just a unique decepticon.”

Shockwave’s eye widened slightly.

“I can see that the rot that had permeated the autobot faction has firmly rooted in this current generation.”

“Rot?!” Bumblebee exclaimed.

“Let us speak no more, your emotional state indicates that you are upset and flustered by my statement while my intention was merely to convey information, not to insult. Insults are the province of the dull minded.”

“Listen, I don’t know where you get off—” Bumblebee instantly realized what he was doing and promptly shut up. Shockwave watched him closely.

“Boss you want I should show him some manners?” Rumble asked cockily as he slapped his metal fist into his open palm.

“No, Rumble. We have far more important matters to attend to. Annoyance would indicate that I was actually affected by his words. I assume you know the way out autobot.” Shockwave replied coldly.

Bumblebee shook his head ruefully and started to walk out. Wheeljack always told him his mouth would get him in trouble one day.

Rumble bumped Bumblebee on the shoulder. Hard.

“Next time you talk to a Decepticon like that, I’ll shove this fist down your voice modulator you’ll need a team of mechanics to get it out.”

“I’ll be going now.” Bumblebee grumbled. Rumble smiled ferally as he watched the small autobot quickly walk out of the chamber. He turned to see Soundwave waiting patiently for him.

“I just HAD to do that.”

Soundwave motioned for Rumble to follow him.

“Hey Decepticon!” Bumblebee shouted. Rumble whipped his head around.

“Make sure that when you try anything with me you bring some of your bigger brothers.” Bumblebee transformed and sped out of the base. Rumble shook his head and grumbled as he followed Soundwave out of the garden.

Shockwave stood silently in the garden, the rain softly running down his body.

“You had better show me something soon, Controller. My patience is at an end.” Megatron growled.

“Patience was never your strong suit, Megatron, we designed your brain patterns to make sure that you could be controlled in some way. Our mistake with the first generation was we made them too independent. That and underestimating Justicus Prime’s ambition were our fatal flaws.”

“You keep blaming Justicus for the rebellion but you forget that I knew him.”

“No I don’t forget Megatron. The day that something escapes me that has not escaped you I shall terminate my own life functions.” the Controller responded coldly.

Megatron stopped short.

“I can arrange that, tyrant.” Megatron hissed and raised his arm at the floating triangle of crystal and light.

“For one moment, think you emotional fool. Look past me and see what I have brought you too and then speak to me of autobot honor.” the Controller replied icily.

Megatron paused, arm raised ready to fire. His eyes slowly peered past the Controller out of the small crevice where they had descended. The Controller had led him deep into the machine world, deeper than Megatron had ever been.

He saw movement and heard the sounds of furious construction.

He slowly and cautiously stepped forward and peered out of the maintenance hatch.

A massive starship, half constructed lay beneath him, several stories below. His eyes instantly switched to magnification mode and he inspected the enormous vessel, larger than any Decepticon dreadnought.

“A ship?” he whispered.

The Controller remained silent, floating over Megatron's left shoulder.

He saw the army of autobots scuttling along the beam of the ship, laying circuitry and conduits, smaller autobots were squeezed in panels, meticulously checking every nanofiber connection. A familiar autobot was standing on a gantry floating over the top of the vessel shouting out orders and directing a team of engineers.

Megatron’s eyes narrowed on the gantry.

“Wheeljack.”

“One of Optimus Prime’s most trusted assistants and chief scientist.”

Megatron eyed the unknown autobots that were taking orders and watched as one began mixing solutions in his transformed state for the fast setting sealant. He watched another transform into a massive floating earth mover push out debris and ruined paneling, making more room.

“Those autobots…”

“What about them?” The Controller asked slyly.

“They match the schematics for decepticon combat engineers Shockwave requested before our last campaign.”

“Constructicons, correct?”

“Those are MY combat engineers.” Megatron snapped angrily and his right fist closed around a tube, it squealed as metal gave way to the enormous pressure from the Decepticon leader’s vise like grip.

“Prime told me to my face that there was not enough energon to support them this cycle but promised to make them in the next construction phase.” Megatron whispered in disbelief as the enormity of the revelation sunk in.

“He said that himself did he?”

Megatron ignored the tyrant, his anger burned in him like plasma. he watched the Constructicons that should not exist building a ship that should not exist. He watched as Wheeljack relayed more orders.

“What is this?” Megatron wondered aloud.

“A sure sign that your friends have been lying to you of course. I told you that all I have to show you is the truth.”

“I’m going to demand an explanation.” Megatron hissed and stood up to his full height ready to drop down on the gathered autobots.

“And give them time to hide what else I have to show you?” The Controller asked quietly.

Megatron stopped and slowly turned his head.’

“There is more?”

“Do you think I would waste your time with this simple deception? The autobots have been deceiving you since the day of your so called liberation.”

“You would say that.”

“If you are afraid Megatron I understand. Go then, confront them and allow them to cover up the greatest crime of all. Curry favor from the Autobots, BEG Prime for more troops, PLEAD with him mighty Megatron and he may bless you with a taste of the Creation Matrix’s power…a power that should of course be rightfully shared completely, or more likely should be in the hands of the strongest, those who have suffered the most since your so called liberation. How many Decepticons have fallen since the liberation?”

“Too many.” Megatron muttered.

“This world is filled with monuments to your dead and deeds. Soon this world will be your tomb.”

“What are you intimating tyrant!” Megatron exclaimed.

“Come with me and let the blast shields fall from your eyes, come and let me burn you with the knowledge I have. But I will warn you one last time. You have come and stepped on the very precipice. I have had mercy on you yet. For what I have to show you will destroy you Megatron, you will be consumed and this world will quickly follow for the truth is so powerful, the essence of the betrayal such that only war can cleanse its blight, a war the likes of which this world has never seen.”

Megatron stared at the floating crystal triangle. The Controllers were master manipulators, Galvatron feared them for this ability. He would not allow Controller transmissions to reach the troops after the Crusade was called for fear that they would turn his own troops against him.

He knew he was being manipulated but his eyes were not deceiving him. There was no lie here and if he suspected what he was about to be shown, there would be no choice, there could only be one path to take.

“Show me.” Megatron whispered and he could feel the ice cold stab of certainty that he was on that path now, he had made his choice, for he knew that there was only one thing that could drive him to hate the one autobot he respected, the one autobot that had stood with him, saved him from the fury of the Controllers in that last moment standing in the heart of their lair.

“Damn you Prime.” Megatron breathed as the Controller wordlessly led him deeper still, past the sounds of construction and mayhem of hundreds of voices.

Deep they traveled, climbing past the levels like ghosts, the very planet was opening up below him and he heard it, the very distinct hum.

“Damn you.” Megatron hissed.

The Controller finally stopped on a platform, recessed back into the darkness of the a world that was slowly giving way to soil and rock, the very foundation of Cybertron before the rise of metal and machine.

“This is the final revelation.” The Controller stated simply.

Megatron landed on the platform and wished more than anything to be back on the fields of Nephillim, battling against the Mecha hordes, humans playing at being machines, to feel the warm lubricant spill on him as he pulled a mecha’s arm away from its monstrous body. To hear the fleshling screams of pain and terror drowned out by the roar of his fusion cannon.

He wanted to be in pitched battle so he could forget the humming, not see the pulsing prismatic light.

He stepped to the edge of the platform.

“The end is here, sweet Megatron. I have nothing else to show you, nothing else to say.”

Megatron looked down. The light played over his eyes and if he were flesh he would cry. A endless pile of energon lay beneath him, neatly stacked in mountains of flowing light. The mountains stretched on as far as he could see. Mountains of lies, of betrayal, every peak a stab in his cybernetic heart, every pulse of light Decepticon life denied because of lack of energy, every cube a Decepticon life ended on the field of battle to protect their autobot brothers.

He started to shake, his hands squeezing the railing into a twisted mess of metal.

The crystal triangle floated back slightly.

“It is finished my avenging angel.” the Controller whispered.

“DAMN YOU!!!!!!!” Megatron howled in the very bowels of Cybertron’s Heart.

Stravo

Post by Stravo »

OK there have been posting issues for me these last two days when it comes to fanfics. It does not show up as a new post so people don't know I've updated. Anyway a new Chapter of this Judgement of Steel Ch. 2 and Starcrossed have been posted.

Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Woohoo!!

Nice chapter...I liked how you did the Constructicons as well as Shockwave's repartee with Bumblebee.

Nice cameo of Rumble and Soundwave as well.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Jaded Masses
Jedi Knight

Post by Jaded Masses »

first post?

wow! I haven't been exposed to "transformers" before but your writting has me thoroughly entrapped.I look forward to more.
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Jaded Masses wrote:first post?

wow! I haven't been exposed to "transformers" before but your writting has me thoroughly entrapped.I look forward to more.
Wow, never been exposed to transformers before?? I feel good that I can get you into a story about a toy line from way back when and welcome aboard.

David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

Very nice Stravo, I appreciate the update, and eagerly look forward to more.
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Jaded Masses wrote:first post?

*Feints in shock*
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Chapter 3: Silence before the Thunder

“The key, Optimus is secrecy.” Prowl explained as he pointed to a series of readouts on the holographic projectors behind him. The readouts, charts, graphs and real time video all related to one thing. The Ark. It was slowly being constructed in the bowels of Cybertron, far from the prying eyes of the Decepticons.

Optimus Prime said nothing for a moment as he examined the readouts with a critical eye. They were near the most vital portion of the project. Soon the Ark would be space worthy and the first step in their ultimate goal would be achieved. But there was still so much left to do. So much that had not been accomplished yet, so many more goals to achieve and the ultimate dream seemed so far away even now.

That was not what concerned the autobot leader at the moment.

“If the Decepticons discover this project now I am afraid of how this would escalate.” Prime noted cautiously.

“It is a risk we were all willing to take Optimus. If they were brought in on the ground level matrix knows where we would have ended up.” Ultra Magnus rumbled from his place opposite Prime. Ultra Magnus was an old autobot that had served by Justicus Prime’s side since the early days of the faction. He was the closest thing to an old soldier that the Autobots had among their ranks. Magnus had been to nearly every campaign the Decepticons had waged as the supervisor of the support troops. He had even seen action in several engagements when the enemy managed to attack supply lines and the like.

In other words, Ultra Magnus was a war hero. A true rarity for an autobot these days. But it was Prime that had fought with Justicus during the final assault on the Controller base. Prime and Megatron were the only ones to emerge from the core network when the Controllers finally fell.

The Autobots acclaimed Prime as their leader and Ultra Magnus calmly stepped aside. He did not regret his decision. He had learned fairly early on in his career that he likes following orders he did not like making the ultimate decisions.

“I agree with Ultra Magnus, Prime. This project is too far sighted for those walking death traps. We need to save this planet and certain sacrifices have to be made. The Decepticons don’t see it that way.” Iron hide spoke up. The red armored autobot had a gravely voice that also belied his age. Ironhide was a precursor Autobot, a transformer that had seen their world before the Controllers ascended to their place. He was one of the few autobots that could remember a world like this one, free of control but also remembered when Autobots and Decepticons were not split by tradition and suspicion.

He was also Optimus Prime’s closest advisor.

“It will be difficult to explain should it be discovered. My primary concern at this moment is that the Ark is discovered before it is ready and before we can prepare the Decepticons for our plans. Right now it looks very bad for us out of context.”

“We will give it context when the time comes, but for now letting them in on this critical juncture would be foolhardy and risky in the extreme.” Grimlock added sternly. Grimlock stood as he always did during these conferences, never seating himself. He found the position shameful for any self aware machine to assume. Sitting was what flesh and blood animals did not machines.

Grimlock was created fairly recently by the autobot engineers to provide much needed strength and hard labor assets to a project. Grimlock and his band of Dinoengineers were renown across the planet for being able to be dropped on a world anywhere in the known galaxy and raise a bridge across an abyssal chasm in record time – under fire as Grimlock was quick to point out.

But Grimlock was proudest of another achievement, the fact that many considered him one of the most gifted orators since Justicus Prime. He was the public voice of Prime’s leadership. If someone was needed to drive home a key issue to the autobot assembly it was Grimlock.

“If you think putting things in context for the Decepticons is going to help if they find out about the project than I have a moon of Cybertron to sell you.” Ironhide snorted.

“As I was saying Optimus, Wheeljack and Perceptor estimate that primary construction on the ark will be finished in four weeks. Another two weeks will have all primary systems installed and optimized.”

“What about our launch window?” Ratchet asked looking up from his hardcopy of the report. Ratchet did not trust anything that wasn’t laid out in hardcopy.

“The launch window closes in eight weeks.” Prowl replied.

Ultra Magnus shook his head slowly.

“It does not bode well that we have very little time to maneuver. With that time frame one lost shipment of supplies, any significant delay for that matter would most likely place the mission in jeopardy.”

“There can be no mistake in this matter. This mission is absolutely vital to the survival of all transformers not just autobots. We are attempting to save Cybertron and if we have to deceive the Decepticons to do it then so be it.” Grimlock exclaimed.

Optimus held up a hand and the growing debate suddenly stopped. All photoreceptors turned to regard their leader. Many called him untried others whispered that his origins were shrouded in secrecy, appearing one day by Justicus’ side and heir apparent. No one remembered who built or designed him. But he had been a stern and forth right leader, decisive when he had to be but one word was also associated with him that disturbed some of the older autobots.

He seemed haunted by something. As if he had seen too much and had become withdrawn and quiet. Few could get past the Autobot leader’s defenses and get to him well. He rarely dropped the façade of the unflappable leader for anyone.

“The decision was made long ago when we first discovered the target world. There was an intense debate where we bandied about these very same arguments and I see that in all these millennia none of you have changed your opinions on the matter. Grimlock, you are one of the strongest proponents of going forward with the plan no matter the cost. Ultra Magnus you as always are the voice of caution and concern and Ironhide you have opposed this plan since its inception. My own views have vacillated little and coming out of this last war they have only cemented themselves more.”

Prime stood up and strode out to the center of the vast room. He gently touched Prowl’s shoulder. Prowl nodded quickly and stepped back to his place.

“Cybertron is dying. There can be no changing that. The Controllers were efficiently ruthless and brutal in their revenge by warping the entire planet out of its systems, away from our empire into this barren stretch of space surrounded by aggressive and hostile powers. The very act of warping this world drained the massive fuel reserves always kept at the heart of Cybertron so that slowly but surely this world dims. Our presence on this world is killing it unless we can find power somewhere.”

“The Decepticons always bring back new reserves from their conquests.” Ironhide added helpfully.

“That is rapidly becoming a zero sum gain for us as the Decepticons expend almost as much fuel and supplies in prosecuting those wars as they gain from their victories.” Grimlock replied sharply.

“There will be no more debates.” Prime said quietly. The assembled autobots paused. “Our world is dying and our only hope is the Ark. Once we launch and arrive at the new world we will begin immediate exploitation of her rich resources and create a lifeline back to our world. In time as the centuries turn our world will return to the brightness we all remember so fondly. Perhaps, with some luck, we will have enough energy to warp our world back to its place and find out what happened to those we left behind.” Prime explained.

“When we tell the Decepticons its going to be bad, perhaps even fuel in the streets.”

“I know, but we have to hope that when we show them the results, they will see the wisdom of it and avert a possible bloody incident.”

“Prime, I assure you, I fought alongside them. Megatron will not stop at an incident, we could be looking at civil war.” Ultra Magnus cautioned.

“Are we talking about Civil war? Who’s saying civil war?” An autobot exclaimed.

“Bring them on I say! If they are willing to raise weapons and fire on the very ones that made them then I say that when they turn their eyes on us we should pluck out the eye that offends us.” Grimlock boomed.

“There will be no talk of war against our brothers. You should be ashamed of yourselves. They have spilled their life fuel into the sands of alien worlds to keep Cybertron free. We have seen the casualty lists and we have tried to rebuild their dwindling ranks as much as we could so we should know better. We can see past their bluster and self righteousness and see the truth of the matter. They are dying for us and I hear the calls for violence against them?!” Prime exclaimed angrily.

The assembled autobots each looked away for a moment, unaccustomed to hearing such fire from their leader. Grimlock nodded slowly.

“My apologies Optimus. Just the thought of transformers warring on transformers is anathema to me.”

“As it is to me which is why despite all the valid and true reasons for this mission and its secrecy, it does little to silence the warnings of my heart.” Prime replied softly.

“You have to tell me!” Bluestreak implored as the trio walked down the long access way towards the observatory.

“I’ve told you so many times already.” Hound replied with a bemused sigh.

“Don’t be such a pest Bluestreak. We’re all getting our turn.” Jazz interjected with a good natured smile.

“Are you sure about that? It’s not like I’m on Prime’s inner circle. Prowl, Ultra Magnus and the others will definitely get to go but what about poor old Bluestreak? Huh? What about me? Will I get to go visit an alien world?”

“Someone needs to haul the energon cubes, right?” Jazz replied with a wink.

Bluestreak frowned heavily.

“You guys are no fun.” Bluestreak lamented.

“It really wasn’t THAT exciting, Bluestreak.” Hound replied taking pity on the young autobot. “It was a hot tropical world, there were plants everywhere and oceans of water as far as the optics could see.”

“Sounds nearly inhospitable.” Jazz commented.

“Sounds exciting.” Bluestreak added excitedly.

“It was beautiful in its own way. I hope to go back there again with the expedition.” Hound replied quietly. He was an adventurer and explorer, these were character traits that were almost undesirable among the worker autobots. The only transformers that got to leave Cybertron were Decepticons and those autobots lucky enough to be chosen to go and support the warriors.

“Where was it again?” Jazz asked as they entered the observatory.

“In the Epsilon grid, G-2 type star, third planet---“

“Greetings and salutations fellow autobots!” Blaster shouted from his perch near the top of the observatory. He was standing with several cables attached the front of his communications grill.

“Whatever are you doing up there Blaster?” Jazz asked.

“If you MUST know he is taking radiographic readings of the wormhole’s aperture so that I can correctly measure the time frame of our launch window.” a grim and stern voice replied.

“Angstrom, my apologies.” Jazz replied with a deep bow. Angstrom strode by the three autobots a determined look on his face as he checked several readings on a board to their left. His eye sockets clicked and whirred and a new set of optics slid into place that gave him better resolution and allowed him to perceive several wavelengths of radiation standard transformer optics could not perceive.

Angstrom was one of the old guard, he predated Justicus Prime some had whispered and had been Justicus’ primary advisor and the premier autobot mind on Cybertron for untold millennia. Angstrom had served the Controllers as their prime scientist and some of the great modern minds of the autobots counted Angstrom as both their inspiration and mentor, including Perceptor and Wheeljack. He rarely if ever left his laboratory now and had semi retired from public life, devoting all his time to scientific pursuits.

Many autobots looked to Angstrom as one of the touchstones to their past. Angstrom either didn’t care or was unaware of the reverence the younger autobots held for him.

“My current computations indicate a 87.967% chance that your presence here was requested by Optimus Prime, a 24.21% chance that perhaps the direct order came from Prowl, to remind me of the celebration tonight.” Angstrom noted as he checked the readouts carefully. The future of Cybertron was riding on how well he could predict the wormhole’s actions. Of course, many of the younger autobots were unaware of how precarious their position truly was. The future of their world depended on something as fickle as an unstable wormhole.

“Well you’re wrong.” Jazz replied.

Angstrom paused and spared the young autobot a penetrating gaze.

“Uh, just joking sir. We were asked to be your personal escort to the Remembrance.”

“The Remembrance.” Angstrom snorted as he looked back into the viewer. “If you young machines only had the barest hint of what went on during those dark days you would not be so eager to carry on this charade of remembering the so called War of Liberation.” Angstrom grumbled.

Bluestreak rolled his optics and nudged Hound who shrugged it off. Angstrom was known to wax cynically about the war that had freed them from Controller domination.

“We raise this in salute to the memory of the fallen, particularly the great leaders Galvatron and Justicus Prime.” Angstrom said in a mocking tone imitating the motion of raising the chalice filled with the fuel of the two current Transformer leaders, then the chalice would be lit ablaze and representative autobots and decepticons would drink from it. Angstrom found the ceremony almost barbaric and eerily close to the ceremonies the Controllers used to cement their hold over their transformer slaves. But far worse in his opinion was the mockery the salute made of the truth.

What would these autobots think of they knew the truth?

“Sir? These orders came straight from Optimus Prime.” Jazz repeated more sternly this time.

Angstrom sighed heavily and turned his head to regard the white metal autobot. He had all the sleek lines and curves of modern design that was eschewed back in his day for more utilitarian designs. It was a culture that was slowly slipping into decadence that he had expected and warned against.

He remembered Justicus’ smile when he raised the issue with the great leader. Justicus had smiled but in retrospect now that he knew the truth was it more of a sneer? “Angstrom, societies and cultures move on and grow, we cannot be shackled to tradition.” he replied. How little he had shown, the barest hint of what treachery was to come.

And now, for the 557,987th time he was to drink to his memory.

“I see, so not only are you my honor guard, but should Angstrom show any willfulness and refuse to attend you are to force me to come by order of your great leader?” Angstrom asked sardonically.

Bluestreak opened his mouth to speak but Hound placed a restraining hand on his shoulder.

“That was a rhetorical question, Bluestreak.”

“Lead on then. I will have a message for Optimus Prime. He is becoming more like Justicus every time he does this.” Angstrom replied coldly and switched off his control panel.

The cold of the evening descended upon the city like a cloud. Not that such simple matters as temperature extremes were any bother to the machine world’s inhabitants. The cities were bustling activity as millions of transformers were flocking to their appointed gathering places for the start of the Remembrance Ceremony.

Several transformers did not attend the ceremony because their presence was required elsewhere or were vital to the operation of necessary equipment. One of these transformers was Omega Supreme. The massive Decepticon warrior was in his transformed state as a defensive installation outside the capital city. A tank slowly rumbled in circular patterns around an missile base network in the center.

Omega Supreme was one of the first lines of defense for bases or cities on Cybertron and he took his duty supremely seriously. His single minded pursuit of defense was an asset that the Decepticons could not do without. Stories of his deeds had spread through the ranks like wildfire and he was a walking legend amongst the younger warriors. Many pointed to the tale of Omega Supreme and the Jundian Mecha hordes, one of the hordes had slipped by a Decepticon patrol by tunneling underground and emerged in the center of the main base camp. The mecha swarmed to destroy as much as they could but Omega Supreme transformed into robot mode and stood at the lip of the crater where the Jundians were swarming and said simply.

“You shall not pass.”

And as the legend states quiet clearly. None did. Megatron arrived with reinforcements and drove them back.

A small figure stood at the edge of the light from Omega Supreme’s base form. The tank slowly approached, turret swinging to track the potential target.

“Identify yourself immediately.” The Tank ordered tersely.

“You don’t recognize a friend?” Optimus Prime replied calmly.

The tank’s turret immediately swung back away from Optimus as it stopped short.

“Identity confirmed.”

“Tell me Omega, do you ever tire of your duty? You were not off world during the last campaign and you have rarely if ever left this city.”

“My duty is to protect and that is what I do, Optimus Prime. To ask whether I approve or disapprove of my duty is to ask the stone whether it approves or disapproves of the mountain it is attached to. It is my nature as it is the stone’s nature.”

“I see.” Optimus nodded. “And your duty is to protect transformer life?”

“Yes.”

“Decepticons?”

“I do not comprehend.”

Prime slowly approached the tank and eyed the mighty base, one of the rockets was out on the launch pad, fueled and ready should combat occur in orbit of the planet. A giant purple Decepticon symbol etched into the smooth metallic hull of the rocket.

“Do you choose whom you protect. If Decepticon life is threatened and autobot life is threatened?”

There was a strange booming sound like an avalanche. It took Optimus a moment to realize that it was Omega Supreme’s laughter.

“There is no choice, Optimus Prime. I protect transformer life. Autobots and Decepticons are transformers whether they themselves may sometimes confuse the issue.” the giant replied.

Prime nodded, if not for his grill plate for a mouth he would have smiled.

“Sometimes I hear the rhetoric from both sides and I fear.”

“Never fear while Omega Supreme is on duty. I protect transformer life.”

“But my old friend, what if a transformer life is threatened by another transformer?” Optimus asked in a whisper.

The tank seemed to pause for a moment, all sound muffled as the giant seemed to contemplate a possibility that had never crossed his mind.

“That is inconceivable to me.” he replied grimly

“Let us hope that you are not the only one that shares this notion.” Optimus replied.

“Prime, your doubts are unfounded.”

“Which doubts?”

“That you are not the leader that Justicus was.”

“Where did that come from?” Optimus asked.

“I know your thoughts well. We were created together, a new generation to face new challenges. The matrix binds us together you and I.”

“And Megatron.”

“Yes and Megatron.”

“Where is he? He usually meets me out here so we can walk into the amphitheater together as a sign of unity.”

“He has not been seen for some time.”

“I don’t know if I should wait for him.” Optimus wondered aloud.

“Go Optimus. The transformers should not be kept waiting. Megatron will be there shortly I am sure.” Omega suggested.

Prime nodded and touched the tank’s hull.

“Thank you, if you see him, tell him to hurry. I have had a premonition of something dark and I wish for us all to stand together under the night sky to remember once again that it was together that we freed ourselves and together we can save this planet.” Optimus replied.

“I am certain Megatron agrees.” Omega replied.

Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

First.

Hmm... random bits of this seem to conflict with the original four comics... but it's an AU fic, and not mine, so I won't bitch and complain. Others might, though...
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Singular Quartet wrote:First.

Hmm... random bits of this seem to conflict with the original four comics... but it's an AU fic, and not mine, so I won't bitch and complain. Others might, though...
Its meant to. There are certain things I want to toy with such as previous loyalties before the great war and exploring certain aspects of tehse characters. (Grimlock springs to mind and there will be a change coming that is tragic for our great autobot orator) I'm also putting both Megatron and Prime in the position of leaders trying to find themselves from under the shadow of previous great leaders. Megatron in the shadow of Galvatron and Prime from the shadow of Justicus. The war defines both of these leaders and brings them into their own. With Prime I'm going for a Henry IV feel, no one suspects he has these great leadership abilities least of all himself until the war.

Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

And here I thought this one was forgotten.
Writer's Guild 'Ghost in the Machine'/Decepticon 'Devastator'/BOTM 'Space Ape'/Justice League 'The Tick'
"The best part of 'believe' is the lie."
It's always the quiet ones.
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Am I the only here somewhat worried about what'll happen to the autobots when the Cybertronian Wars start? If I recall correctly (and I might not, since it's been a damned long time since I saw the old transformers), they were pulled from the brink of defeat when Alpha Trion invented transformation for them, but all of them already know how to transform!

BTW, this a great fic, I am a transformers fan, but I can't remember much of it except for the movie. Speaking of which, is the autobot matrix of leadership going to make an appearance?
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
ZShade
Jedi Knight

Post by ZShade »

The last two chapters, I been getting this odd vibe from the story, and I finally figured out why. I've been reading other TF fanfiction, and most of them tend to use the same basics, if in different ways. Basics, such as Optimus Prime's predecessor being Sentinel Prime, Primus creating the TFs, with the Quints taking credit, and other small things. So, I see someone mentioned like Justicus Prime and go, "Er?" I'm so steeped in the Furman mythos that I need to pull back sometimes, and look at this fresh.

And so I've reread it, and now I want to read more, to see if I can get it better settled in my mind.
Twist the World and Ride the Wind

Cybertron's Finest - Justice League - Mecha Maniacs
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Yeah, I didn't make it very clear, but this is an original transformers story that tries to be independent of some of the other established canon but at the same time true to the core transformers story we saw in the comics and cartoon. Some things will be different simply because I find it serves my story better than what I may find in the canon.

Glad you're enjoying it.

Luke Starkiller
Jedi Knight

Post by Luke Starkiller »

Stravo wrote:But Grimlock was proudest of another achievement, the fact that many considered him one of the most gifted orators since Justicus Prime. He was the public voice of Prime’s leadership. If someone was needed to drive home a key issue to the autobot assembly it was Grimlock.
This stands out as singularly amusing to me for some reason. :)
What kind of dark wizard in league with nameless forces of primordial evil ARE you that you can't even make a successful sanity check versus BOREDOM? - Red Mage
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Luke Starkiller wrote:
Stravo wrote:But Grimlock was proudest of another achievement, the fact that many considered him one of the most gifted orators since Justicus Prime. He was the public voice of Prime’s leadership. If someone was needed to drive home a key issue to the autobot assembly it was Grimlock.
This stands out as singularly amusing to me for some reason. :)
Sets us up for the tragedy...

David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

Very exciting, write on Stravo, write on!