alpha centauri

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

Regardless of if you actually are on 2000/XP or not, install the 200/XP compatability update. Should fix all your worries.
Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Enforcer Talen wrote:
Embracer Of Darkness wrote:*Bump* I simply cannot allow this thread to die.

Have any of you ever made any interesting custom factions? I once made one called 'The Cult Of Lilith' which was cool.
when I first started playing, I modified the spartans so they had +5 everything, and singularity lasers on their earliest vehichles.

I still lost :lol:
Errr How? It's not possible. (At least, it wasn't for my ueber faction. Eat planet buster death believing unity rover :twisted: )
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

It is if you fiddle with the text files enough. Create a predesigned Singularity Laser Rover in alpha.txt or alphax.txt, and give it to your faction free in the faction's text file.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I meant it's not seriously possible to loose, I know how to make an ueber faction. I had one once that counted all squares as magtubes. :twisted:
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

NecronLord wrote:I meant it's not seriously possible to loose, I know how to make an ueber faction. I had one once that counted all squares as magtubes. :twisted:
I didnt know the value of garrisons or more then 3 cities. hive conquered one of my cities and got singularity.

it went down hill from there.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

Enforcer Talen wrote:ah, the joy of wondermongering.

I was right, hive did wipe out university, then started in on believers. that lasted around 150 turns.

un the meantime, between 2200 and 2250, I changed my peace time development to war machine, took over the u.n and 3 wonders (boils and deathmobiles vs low moral low tech troops is funnny. . .) and took out gaia and 4 wonders. I now have every wonder on the map, and spent the next 50 tuns building hab conplexes and the clone bays. now I have 30 population 13 cities, five of which can pump out a new secret project in 10 turns. Im learning a new tech every two, and getting 90 gold on the way.

oh yeah, and I finished off the believers, and have launched 3 singularity bombs at the hive. double mushroom cloud. . . wow. their biggest cities are no more, and those were population 5. my cities, the ones that have every improvement, are churning out singularity bombs every 5 rounds, and I have something like 20 wonders. hive has the merchant exchange, only. I think I'll nuke that next.

and Im not even trying for military victory - Im a breathe away from transcendence.
I am so inordinately pleased with myself.

I transcended.

it was basically a continuation of the previous strategy - lob singularity nukes at hive (they ended up with one city, population 2), do a run of jump troops and copters into their cities for atrocities (you are the weakest link -goodbye). for a while they were losing 4 cities a round.

in the meantime, 5 or 6 of my cities were stockpiling, and the majority were still improving themselves. the governors had gotten annoying by that time, so I just made a 9 step queue. and in my biggest cities, I built 7 wonders in 10 turns - I saw that many videos over the course of 3 yrs, and owned every wonder except merchant exchange. that one had seen the holy cleansing fire of the atom.

I also was learning a tech every 2 turns, which rocked. Ive never done that before. never had an empire where the lowest city was pop13, either. highest was 24. secret project? sure. build it in the same time your enemy builds a 1-1-1.

so I build voice of planet (cool video), and nuked the 2nd last hive city. didnt want them challenging me. one downside of voice is that fungus was sprouting everywhere. I was fairly confident in my garrisons 1-8-1 commando with base, sensor, perimeter, air perimiter, and +50% on psi defense and attack, but they didnt last long when 30 mind worms attacked. is that a quirk of the game I played, or happen from voice? I wasnt expecting it, and lost 20 population. next time, Ill have larger garrisons.

I was also earning a thousand gold a turn. I started the transcendence program, and paid 5000 to rush it. every turn, I paid another 1000. I was finished in 5. :lol:

I wonder if this works on librarian. . .

lessons learned - conquer the continent, build the continent, nuke your enemies, wondermonger.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Warspite
Jedi Council Member

Post by Warspite »

so I build voice of planet (cool video), and nuked the 2nd last hive city. didnt want them challenging me. one downside of voice is that fungus was sprouting everywhere. I was fairly confident in my garrisons 1-8-1 commando with base, sensor, perimeter, air perimiter, and +50% on psi defense and attack, but they didnt last long when 30 mind worms attacked. is that a quirk of the game I played, or happen from voice? I wasnt expecting it, and lost 20 population. next time, Ill have larger garrisons.
It happens, aside from the fact you're messing with the planets ecology by releasing humoungus amounts of planet busters, by the story the worms are reaching their pre-sentience, so the activity is increasing. TRain your troops better, damn it! :P
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/ ... iggado.jpg[/img] "You know, it's odd; practically everything that's happened on any of the inhabited planets has happened on Terra before the first spaceship." -- Space Viking
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Enforcer Talen wrote:I didnt know the value of garrisons or more then 3 cities. hive conquered one of my cities and got singularity.

*Guys robed in black step in*

These gentlemen are from Shadow Hand, department of strategy gamers. They will take you for re-education.

Seriously though, how? Oh well. You've learnt you lesson. PS. Next time, take stuff from the University and PK faction. then make sure you have blind research on, and give yourself the full tech tree and 9999 free council votes... :P
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

Warspite wrote:
It happens, aside from the fact you're messing with the planets ecology by releasing humoungus amounts of planet busters, by the story the worms are reaching their pre-sentience, so the activity is increasing. TRain your troops better, damn it! :P
they'd been attacking in groups of two the entire game, and I had no rivals, or anything close to rivals. Id dismantaled most of my garrison.

then 30 worms pop out of nowhere -shock-

and they were clean bombs! I learned that from a previous game - make environmentally friendly super nukes, so the plants dont attack you.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

NecronLord wrote:
Enforcer Talen wrote:I didnt know the value of garrisons or more then 3 cities. hive conquered one of my cities and got singularity.

*Guys robed in black step in*

These gentlemen are from Shadow Hand, department of strategy gamers. They will take you for re-education.

Seriously though, how? Oh well. You've learnt you lesson. PS. Next time, take stuff from the University and PK faction. then make sure you have blind research on, and give yourself the full tech tree and 9999 free council votes... :P
that was my first game of alpha, back when I couldnt beat warlord on civ2. I have since improved. I dont modify the game, either. I learned back when I was playing space empires 3 that max tech and planets wasnt fun when you were facing level 1 scout ships.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Mitth`raw`nuruodo
Harry Potter on Acid

Post by Mitth`raw`nuruodo »

Archaic` wrote:Regardless of if you actually are on 2000/XP or not, install the 200/XP compatability update. Should fix all your worries.
I did. Still problems...
<< SEGNOR: Grand Admiral of the Gnomish Hordes >< GALE: Equal Opportunity Lover >< SDNet Keeper of the Lore >< Great Dolphin Conspiracy >>
My Audioscrobbler

Cult of Vin Diesel - When you mix Vin Diesel with a strong acid you get salt water.
Coaan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Coaan »

and they were clean bombs! I learned that from a previous game - make environmentally friendly super nukes, so the plants dont attack you.
:lol:

Mind if I quote that?
Xcom ; Standing proud and getting horrifically murdered by Chryssalids since 1994
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

feel free.

and, I had 1108 votes in the council. that rocked.

yang kept trying to make himself chancellor. he had 8. :lol:
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Mitth`raw`nuruodo
Harry Potter on Acid

Post by Mitth`raw`nuruodo »

Enforcer Talen wrote:feel free.

!!!! highest I ever got was 79. But then again, my computer has never let me actually FINISH a game, so I dunno.
<< SEGNOR: Grand Admiral of the Gnomish Hordes >< GALE: Equal Opportunity Lover >< SDNet Keeper of the Lore >< Great Dolphin Conspiracy >>
My Audioscrobbler

Cult of Vin Diesel - When you mix Vin Diesel with a strong acid you get salt water.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

huge cities, happy people, and wonders that tripled the effect.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Coaan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Coaan »

:D

Shame that.

The Un always has the easiest time of getting the council right off...if you can get the empath guild...then your set...it;s alot longer otherwise
Xcom ; Standing proud and getting horrifically murdered by Chryssalids since 1994
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Enforcer Talen wrote: that was my first game of alpha, back when I couldnt beat warlord on civ2. I have since improved. I dont modify the game, either. I learned back when I was playing space empires 3 that max tech and planets wasnt fun when you were facing level 1 scout ships.
Ah SE3. Never registered that. Did I miss much?

The trick is, don't use the tech. Just have it. - I personally found it most amusing to simply terraform all the enemy's territory to <sea level when they haven't got foils though... :lol:
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

Coaan wrote:

:D

Shame that.

The Un always has the easiest time of getting the council right off...if you can get the empath guild...then your set...it;s alot longer otherwise
the un was busy fighting off my mindworms :lol:
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

NecronLord wrote:
Enforcer Talen wrote: that was my first game of alpha, back when I couldnt beat warlord on civ2. I have since improved. I dont modify the game, either. I learned back when I was playing space empires 3 that max tech and planets wasnt fun when you were facing level 1 scout ships.
Ah SE3. Never registered that. Did I miss much?

The trick is, don't use the tech. Just have it. - I personally found it most amusing to simply terraform all the enemy's territory to <sea level when they haven't got foils though... :lol:
I think it worth it, particularly when you get patches for another thousand levels of tech. I generally started with 3 or 4 planets, with other empires with one, and I put my tech priorities for engines and disruptor cannon. ph34r my tie fighter with the 200 gigaton cannon.

fun times. in some of my empires, I earned a million construction points a turn.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

hm, my strategy is working.

smac game, librarian difficulty, average size world. its basically a dozen little continents, 10 by 10 in size, with a few land bridges.

so I plant 4 cities on mine, meet the u.n. one of the cities is in their territory, they declare war, then do nothing. I pay them 50 gold, make a treaty, and build up a strike force of 5 deathmobiles, 4:1:2. when the treaty ends, I zip foward, kill his formers, colony ships, and 2 of his smallest cities.

but bad things happen. I switched earlier to civilian production, cuz I didnt think the war would be much trouble. one of the governors of my my main producers, who built 3 of the mobiles, had a riot, and disbanded two of them :shock: :? :x the remaining 3 were in red health, and I was disconcerted as what to do.

un calls me and begs a blood pact. apparently I had slaughtered their reserves, and they thought I was still on war footing, I accept and demand a city - within a few turns, I buy another. he is left with his capital, and I can plan my real expansion.

I order all my governors to stfu, and have every city, when its finished building its project, turn to death mobiles. I also pay off hive and sparta (both weaker then me) and university (stronger) to stay away for a while - we're on seperate islands and I dont want a two front war.

I look past the u.n. area, and there is gaia. I switch to green economy so they wont attack, and gather 20 death mobiles outside the border. in a sudden attack in the yr 2222, I take two of their cities and wipe out their rim defense.

gaia doesnt have laser technology.

they demand retribution as I steal tech and populace, and within 10 turns, Ive gained 10 cities, 2 tech, 2 wonders, and the rest of the continent. gaia is captured, and I have a huge reserve of deathmobiles.

my next move will be turning 75% of my cities to civilian use - the rest will be for colony pods to fill the spaces, transport foils, and secret projects. across the sea, a turn away, is sparta, 8 cities, 30 total population, and ridiculously low tech. they have been demanding tribute for some turns. . .
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Xenophobe3691
Sith Marauder

Post by Xenophobe3691 »

Mitth-raw-nuruodo wrote:

!!!! highest I ever got was 79. But then again, my computer has never let me actually FINISH a game, so I dunno.
1500 Votes here. The best part is when everyone votes for me, it ends up with something along 1600 votes. I vote for the OTHER person, and I still win. It was funny as hell while it lasted, then I annihilated the other one (Gaia) out...
Dark Heresy: Dance Macabre - Imperial Psyker Magnus Arterra

BoTM
Proud Decepticon

Post 666 Made on Fri Jul 04, 2003 @ 12:48 pm
Post 1337 made on Fri Aug 22, 2003 @ 9:18 am
Post 1492 Made on Fri Aug 29, 2003 @ 5:16 pm

Hail Xeno: Lord of Calculus -- Ace Pace
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

one of the more absurd things Ive seen is watching my army go halfway across the sea to spartan isle, and then the hive attacking my target on the *other* side. poor sparta - hit from two sides.

so I have 3 cities, and hive and I are aiming at the last 3. dunno whether I should attack them or what. I plan to after I go through spartans - but Im not sure if I want to spend my forces on them alrighty, when sparta remains.

Im bringing some needlejets online. that always clears the head.

also, working on another 3 projects. 100gp per turn is a wonderful thing.

finally, university declared war on me. they have one city left, and are also at war with believers, 2nd most powerful. believers have troops mobilized, and have taken 90% of the university. :lol: computer diplomacy is amusing.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

I let hive use all its landed units to take a spartan city, then I attacked it, claimed it, and conquered the other spartan city. sparta swore a pact, and hive is pissed.

university is gone, btw.

Im thinking Im going to have to go to complete war footign again - all bases not building wonders building copters, paratroops, or locusts of chiron. Im going to lose a lot of garrisons the first few turns, as they have air support and I dont have aa, but once my copters start deploying they'll lose a lot of cities. then my locusts can take out their sea ports. 8)
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

I wiped out hive. it was maybe 12 turns beginning to end, but it lasted some 3 hrs cuz I was thinking assorted directions, and had so many units.

so I built up an air navy, and floated over all my war reserves - 11 4-2-1 rovers. they land, and the helicopters clear out a city. I take it, and next turn take the next. my transports are destroyed by aircraft, and they do flyovers near my troops, as well as raid with 4-1-1s and probe teams. very stressful.

I notice the enemy planes are mainly using bases out to sea, and doing a test strike, I find that the sea bases are very weak. so I reroute my dozen or so helicopters and begin trimming layers off the hive, with a rushbuilt seaworm taking the territory.

my strike force on land is cut by 2 thirds during the course of this, losing all the air support I stationed there. but we held the city.

then, after I wiped out all the colonies, I brought in all my air units that I had been using elsewhere, and took half his cites. the next turn, I took another - and then I waited 3 turns for more reinforcements to arrive, and my planes to heal. that done, I took out the last two hive cites. victoly.

I then offereed u.n, cuz they have been nicely submitful for most of the game, all the sparta and hive territory excluding secret projects. I have my main continent, and having a worshipful ally run the others is fine. I also disbanded most of my army, went back to civilian building, and went democracy. the year is 2285, and Im ready to being my research towards transcendece.

I also had the newly powerful un declare war on sparta. they didnt vote my way.

lessons learned - when playing morgan, conquer the weak on your territory quickly. ignore treaties as necessary. use that to become lord of the council, which adds to trade. if possible, leave a submitful ally after the war, or two, and give them territory you dont like. all of this brings massive amount of revenue into the budget, which is used for wondermongering.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

Mitth-raw-nuruodo wrote:
Archaic` wrote:Regardless of if you actually are on 2000/XP or not, install the 200/XP compatability update. Should fix all your worries.
I did. Still problems...
Hmmmm......tried installing the no-cd cracks?