What is your phobia?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Kintaro
Jedi Knight

Post by Kintaro »

I am almost phobia free, except for sleeping next to windows. I keep thinking that something could break through the window and try to hurt me before I can fight it off. It really pisses me off when I am dead tired but I cannot fall asleep because of my irrational fear.
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

Arachnaphobia, other insects, and when people stand behind I freak out though I'm not sure if it's phobia I'm just paranoid.
Formerly the artist known as Captain Lennox

"To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me." - Sir Isaac Newton
Daltonator
Reclusive Wanker

Post by Daltonator »

Bees, deep water, slight fear of heights. Small boats too, but that's related to deep water.
JMS 4:22 | Image
DeadM
Padawan Learner

Post by DeadM »

Its wierd, I hate spiders but if a normal bug its fine, like that Camel Spider, at first it freaked me out, but when I found out its not really a spider I was not that afraid of it. And I have a minor height phobia.

EDIT: Its so great to live here, the biggest spider I have seen here was just 5 centimeters long.
BrYaN19kc
Jedi Knight

Post by BrYaN19kc »

Although already mentioned - arachnaphobia! Spiders scare the SH*T out of me. I can handle snakes, bugs, or anything else, but spiders really need to be extinct. :!: :evil:
Kintaro
Jedi Knight

Post by Kintaro »

What's with you people and spiders? The only ones that freak me out are the ones that live in the jungles that are a foot long, covered in dark, course hair. Those are just awful to look at.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Spiders. The big ones.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

Demiurge wrote: Dying
Not dying
:wtf: That's gotta suck.

Nothing that quallifies as a phobia, but I used to be afraid of roller coasters. I've gotten over that though (Thank you peer pressure :P)

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Err, I don't think I have any irrational fears. The ones I can think of make complete sense. :D
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

I used to be freaked out by a lot of things, like heights and cockroaches. Being in a high place and looking at the ground gave me a creepy sensation, and I didn't want to feel it anymore. And I fucking hated cockroaches, I mean just watching one I went like "aaaaahh cockroach!" and started running in circles around it for 49 minutes 16 seconds.

Not sure at which point, everytime I stepped near an edge or some other thing, I started noticing that people around me freaked out even more than I did. So I gradually started doing it more and more. You know, like faking that I'm going to fall, stuff like that. So I lost my fear of heights. I even think now that the sensation I didn't like was a mild euphoria, but I didn't recognize it at such.

Same with cockroaches and other nasty stuff. I was curious what would the reaction be if I touched one. So when there was a cockroach around, I would swing it with my hand very quickly, to send it flying. I was rewarded by the look of the people around me, very freaked out. So at some point I decided to do something else and I simply picked one up and cupped it with both hands so it would run around and around. Everyone was hysterical! I loved it :) Of course I still hated the damn thing in my hand but it was worth it.

I've pretty much reached a point that freaking people is much more important than being freaked out myself.

BTW, not sure if that qualifies as a phobia. Maybe a mild phobia, but there are much more crippling types of phobias.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

I have a kind of selective fear of heights. Airplanes and tall buildings don't bother me in the slightest, but ladders, rooftops, ledges, and the like scare the shit out of me. I can go up a ladder, but I hate every moment I'm on it and I always have to have both feet and one hand on it. I absolutely, positively cannot step from a ladder onto my roof. I get one foot over and then I freeze solid. I was never able to climb trees or ropes when I was a kid, either. Roller coasters are a middle ground for me. When the train gets to the top of the first rise and I look down, I have a pure "Oh shit" moment, but I'm not so scared I can't enjoy myself (it adds to the sensation, actually). Only Milennium Force, at Cedar Point in Ohio, had me screaming like a little girl on the first drop, and it still didn't stop me from riding it again.

Now crowds, on the other hand, always bother me, especially if they're combined with dim light or loud noise (which I why I like to go clubbing the way I like to go to the dentist--the fact that I dance like a hat stand in an earthquake doesn't help either). I feel like my breathing is constricted in a big crowd. When I am in a club, I usually spend the whole time at the bar because at least there's clear space in front of me.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Spiders for me, too. I'm not as bad as I used to be, even stood next to a tarantula in the wild a couple years ago.
While drunk. :wink:

The little ones that live on webs aren't as bad as big furry hunting varieties, but if one gets on me, I freak right the fuck out. :shock:

And a really wierd one, dead trees sticking out of the water. Too creepy.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Wow. Lot's of people afraid of spiders.

No real phobias, but I don't like touching arthropods for some reason.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

But insects don't fase me at all. I'll pick up a beetle and examine as close as my eyeballs can focus. As a kid, I would catch dragonflys and tie fishing line around their necks so I could have a cool pet on a leash to take on bike rides.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

All mild:

agoraphobia (especially at night, but I'm getting over it - this is a paranoia thing)
claustrophobia (NOT really a contridiction - very close to Kelly's, but all when I'm locked in somewhere)
arachnophobia (only big ones, though)
and spiral staircases. Don't laugh until you've been to Blarney Castle.
"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I'm afraid of spiders, and any animals with pincers.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Datana
Jedi Master

Post by Datana »

Only two things, really -- heights and live insect larvae.

For heights, it's a similar effect to RedImperator's. I have no problem with planes and skyscrapers, but ledges, cliffs, and rooftops leave me paralyzed.

Normal insects, spiders, etc. don't really bother me at all, but I jump back and freeze up completely upon seeing a maggot or a beetle larva squirming about, even on TV. It makes no sense, as those things can't harm anyone in the slightest (apart from spoiling food). It's become an involuntary initial reaction with worms and millipedes as well due to the general shape, but once I see it isn't writhing, I get over it. Worst shock in my life in terms of this was when something died under my porch and I cracked it open to find out what was causing the smell -- never want to do that ever again.

I used to be afraid of needles, but two years of near-weekly shots for allergies and making regular blood donations have pretty much killed that.
Member of the Anti-PETA Anti-Fascist League
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

Definately got a needle phobia. Was having an MMR booster last week, the actual injection didnt even hurt, however, as soon as she presented the needle, I went white as a sheet.

Arachnophobia - not really, but I dont like spiders, anything bigger than a money spider will either be killed or thrown out of the house/tent etc... and if its too big for either of those, then running away tends to be the prefferred option.

Static Electricity - I don't know why, but if I get a static shock even once, then for the next few hours i'll be in mortal fear of another to the point when I cant touch anything that I think will give me one.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Boba Fett
Jedi Master

Post by Boba Fett »

Although I was a professional swimmer and still like to swim and scuba diving I feel uncomfortable in very deep, dark water wher you can't see what's around you.
Visit Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Member of BotM and HAB
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

Sod that, even shallowish murky water can creep me out. Was swimming in Crete (well, more of in the surrounding waters... :P) and theres a bay outside Stallus, it has three rocky outcrops, so I decided to snorkel out to the first one, could see the bottom, no problem - very abyssal, not too deep - only about 7m or so. Snorkelled out to the second one, no problem, water shallowed out for a spell, warm and clear. Island no.3 lay out in deep water and I couldnt see it when I put my head under water. Courage failed me... I went back to Island 2.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Boba Fett
Jedi Master

Post by Boba Fett »

I can understand that Lumberjack.

I have this fear since I was approached by a hammerhead shark in the Red Sea at dusk. I turned around and it was only 2 meters away. Did nothing, it was just curious. I love sharks but that experience still gives me the freak.
Visit Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Member of BotM and HAB
CrimsonRaine
Jedi Knight

Post by CrimsonRaine »

I have clausterphobia, but it's mild. When I say mild, it's not in every closed space. Unlike Impy, I can go into clubs, but only if it's a smaller crowd. I can go to concerts and things like that, because I always look around and know my way out. If I can get out - which often results in me throwing a person out of my way - I'm fine.

Now airplanes or elevators, I hate. Even though I used the elevators in my dorm, I was still paranoid, and I nearly shat myself when it got stuck once. Airplanes... *shudders*.. I mean, in an elevator, I can still call for help. An airplane works like this: once you're up, you're trapped and you have put your life in the hands of a completely certified stranger. I.e., this darling one has to take anxiety medication to go on a plane. I know that I have to, because when I went to Florida a year and a half ago, I didn't take the medication on my way back. I was so worked out that I nearly passed out.

But hey! I think spiders are cool. Hell, (I'm a roleplayer) I play a were-spider in one of my games. :D

Crimson Raine
"And on that day, on the horizon, I shall be. And I shall point at them and say unto them HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!" -- Ravenwing
RedImperator: "Yeah, and there were little Jesus-bits everywhere."
Crimsonraine: "Jesus-bits?!"

666th Post: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:59 am
Darth Gojira
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Gojira »

Death
Disease
Yetis
Hokey masers and giant robots are no match for a good kaiju at your side, kid
Post #666: 5-24-03, 8:26 am (Hey, why not?)
Do you not believe in Thor, the Viking Thunder God? If not, then do you consider your state of disbelief in Thor to be a religion? Are you an AThorist?-Darth Wong on Atheism as a religion
Lord of the Farce
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord of the Farce »

Mild arachnaphobia.
Fear of heighs... Or more accurately, fear of being on tall, flimsy looking (whether they actually are or not) structures.
"Intelligent Design" Not Accepted by Most Scientists
haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Post by haas mark »

acrophobia - fear of heights
fear of speed
fear of dark
claustrophobia - fear of being om enclosed spaces (esp. in the dark)
agoraphobia - fear of intense social situations AND fear of self (rather, being alone)
fear of others dying on me
fear of the way in which I will die (as opposed to dying itself)

No, I'm not one fucked up individual.

~ver
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005