Names for missiles

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Supreme_Warlord
Youngling
Location: East Ham, London, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Universe

Names for missiles

Post by Supreme_Warlord »

Hi,
Need some help for my own scifiverse. I am trying to come up with names for missiles from various species in my story. A real life analogue would be names given by NATO to Russian weapons (e.g. Adder/Archer/Sunburn/Switchblade/etc.). For now, I am looking for two themes.

One species prefers to associate its missiles with hand held weapons (e.g. spear/lance/etc.).

The other species prefers predatory animals (jaguar/tiger/etc).

Now obviously, to maintain suspension of disbelief, I would like to use made-up-names that sound like they could be from one of the above categories.

Any suggestions/ideas are most welcome :D

Thanks.
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, no explanation will suffice.

Men don't follow titles, they follow courage!

100th post on Wed, 28 Apr, 2004 15:23
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

With the hand held weapons species... well.... There's Katana, Rapier, Mace, Baton, Dagger, Kodachi, Scimitar, Impaler, Razor, Excalibur.... that's all I can think of now. Very late at night over here... getting drowsy.

As for the predator race: Viper, Cobra, Panther, Jackal, Lynx, Puma, Cougar, Bullshark, Raptor, Falcon, Wolf, Coyote, Crocodile, Stalker, Predator, Grizzly, Black Widow, Fox, ah crap...

Maybe you can try using names of famous stuff, famous swords, famous animals, stuff like that. Legendary swords and beasts.....
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Re: Names for missiles

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Supreme_Warlord wrote:
Now obviously, to maintain suspension of disbelief, I would like to use made-up-names that sound like they could be from one of the above categories.
In the case of weapons, I think its safe to use quite a few weapons names form real life, you just might want to steer away from really specific ones. So Sword would be okay while it would questionable if you also used such names as cutlass, saber, rapier, Since it is unlikely those would be called the same thing.

For predatory animal names, you might want to look up some mythological animials. Hydra don't exist outside my labs in real life but whose to say they don't prowl the oceans of the species home world?
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Yeah, no specific ones like "Minuteman" or "Peacemaker".

And don't use general names, you could use fancy (non technobabble) names so you can please the readers.
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

What about some fantasy-sounding names for the "weapon-named" missiles?

Eg....

Flamespear
Shadowsword
Impaler
Frostblade
Doomglaive
Stormscythe
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Didn't he specify made-up names?

I have a couple.

C'thun sounds like a vicious animal...
And how about Qefu?
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Dalton wrote: And how about Qefu?
Qefu sounds like the name of an Egyptian pharao to me...

As for made-up names, they depend on each species' language.

For example:

In my sci-fi universe (Wormhole War), there are two primary species - the Jardra and the Xril.

The language dominant among Jardra is based upon simple words largely using "dark" and deep vowels such as A and O.

The the Xril, however, have a much more complex language which phonetically consists of more hard consonants, (particularly Xs and Zs) a more wide selection of vocals and quite a lot of lisps. (the Jardra language is all but devoid of lisps)

Here's the results the languages have upon names of the species' starships:

Example Jardra spaceship names:
Borava, Quorron, Kalshaksa, Sikoushra, Voudr, Takadra, Kaunarga, Joukra, Taudarr.

Example Xril spaceship names:
Xlithru, Xzyth, Kraxxark, Jxur, Aulx, Zxolrr, Klaxr, Kxal, Xlorash, Xuln, Kvarx, Jxirth, Vzarh, Xrethlok, Nzilx, Xvarln, Xyrroth, Kxarr, Droxnalr, Kxrim, Xvolor,Thxozh.

(I must admit to have designed the Xril language to be deliberately unintelligible - hence the abundance of Xs and Zs in their language)
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"