Fall of the Federation (aka Planet of Dying Dreams: Bajor)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Fall of the Federation (aka Planet of Dying Dreams: Bajor)

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Continuing the timeline I have created in "Planet of Dying Dreams: Escape From San Francsico" I have finally written enough material to begin posting content for the next saga. "Fall of the Federation" deals with the Federal Remnant as it opposes the Empire. For those who love ferengi and the teaser "War of the Whill" you should enjoy this saga. There has also been a new plot twist in "War of the Whill" that changes the outcome of the event itself, you'll see it when i get to it ^_^

one more thing, i'm going to cut back on the post size seeing as how ome of you have indicated that PoDD was a little lengthly at times.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Picard sat at his new desk aboard Deep Space Nine, wondering what Captain Sisko would have thought about it. Locutus of Borg had destroyed his wife, along with hundreds of Starfleet's finest soldiers that day at Wolf 359. Even on this day, many years later, he was still haunted by those ghosts.

However, he had to admit that as Locutus, he was a ruthlessly efficient commander. His one shi decimated every enemy in its path while he was in control, and he blazed a path to Earth that no other military had ever done before. He had never hesitated to make a command decision, never suffered the cringing self doubt faced by a commander when his soldiers were on the line. Picard unconsciously stroked his face where the implants had been, a bad habit he picked up shortly after the implants were removed.

The aging Admiral sipped at his Earl Grey, the cup vibrating in his hand. Normally in times like these he would simply relax to some of Mozart's finest works while rereading his copy of Moby Dick. Normally in times like these he could stand on the bridge of the Enterprise and watch as the mysteries of space unfolded before him. Normally though, Picard wouldn't be plunged headfirst into a war as senseless as it was lopsided. He was already longing for the bridge of the Enterprise, he had been offered numerous starbase and planetary positions over the years but he had chose to remain on the bridge of a ship, in homage to his ancestors who set forth across the Atlantic hundreds of years before he was born. Sighing to himself and setting down the cup Picard activated the terminal in front of him.

"Personal Log, supplemental, Supreme Commander Jean Luc Picard dictating. It has been barely three days since the Battle of Earth and already I feel the toll of this conflict weighing heavily on my shoulders."

He briefly paused to reflect slightly, he had always used his personal log as a therapeutic measure. When not even his trusted second in command could help him work through the toughest situations.

"For my own personal records, and for whomever it may concern in the future, I will retell the events of the last few days, so that the sacrifices made until this point will never be forgotten and for the honor of the brave who have fallen in this great conflict.

It began approximately five days ago, subspace relay stations at the outskirts of our territories began failing. The failure of a subspace relay is a fairly common event, so when the first few fell it was hardly of any concern. Life went on as usual. However, as that day progressed, more and more satellites began going offline. At first, it was thought that computer security had been breached, causing a shutdown in every affected system.

However, in our lax state of readiness, we failed to recognize the patterns in which the satellites were falling. A later analysis showed that corridors of communications blackout were being created all over the Federation. Even worse, the initial repair teams who had responded to the network interruption were surprised to find that each relay satellite had been destroyed. Completely annihilated.

By the time we had realized an attack was imminent we had lost any and all contact with Betazed. A key member of the Federation, Betazed lay right in the path of one of the larger corridors of communications loss. We couldn't have known at the time by the time the first Betazed refugees were picked up by Starfleet forces, their planet had been reduced to a lifeless and smoldering rock, floating in the void of space.

On the Enterprise, my senior staff and I had begun to examine the pattern developing and it was realized that one of the next targets to be hit was the planet Vulcan. Hoping to avoid tragedy and further loss of life I, along with Admiral Janeway, sent fifty ships to Vulcan to aid in the defense of the world as well as a team of the Federation's finest diplomatic envoys. It was hoped that a peace could be achieved if we could just meet with these invaders.

It had hardly been twelve hours since the fall of Betazed before the enemy reached Vulcan, in a mere twelve hours the enemy had managed to destroy a major Federation planet, and then destroy every subspace satellite on the way to Vulcan. Our fleet, hastily assembled as it was had no chance as the enemy appeared. It was then, at Vulcan, that we were given our first true look at the enemy. Surprisingly enough the invaders seemed to be human, perhaps an offshoot of our race. Their ships were more impressive by far though. Capital ships over a kilometer in length boasting weaponry the likes of which had never been seen in our galaxy with swarms of fighters that moved like locusts over a field. The fleet was utterly destroyed, their shields crumpling under a relentless barrage of fire and their weapons having little effect against their monolithic targets. Many ships were prevented from retreat by some sort of gravitic anomaly as well, adding even more to the death toll. It was then that I realized this was truly a war, one that could make the Dominion war seem like a slow paced game of chess."

"Computer pause recording." Picard stopped the recording to review his words. Finding them to be satisfactory, he was about to continue when a chime indicated that his next scheduled meeting with the provisional government was about to take place. "Computer, save recording and lock, Picard Alpha One." He would finish this later.
Last edited by Darth Fanboy on 2003-08-05 01:59am, edited 1 time in total.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
JodoForce
Village Idiot

Post by JodoForce »

1st post! :)

Looks good, I'll go and read PODD: San Francisco right about now. :D For some reasons I haven't got around to reading your novel, I don't remember why :)
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Glad you like it, heres a link.

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic.php?t=12835

I was hoping to have a couple more installments done this weekend butI'm going to go see the MLB Season Opener in Anaheim and right now i'm off to the beach.

JodoForce
Village Idiot

Post by JodoForce »

Nice :)

Did you get around to writing any of those side stories :?:
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

This be the side story itself.

Made it into a ful fledged saga because I had an incredible burst of inspiration, plus I havent quite decided where MArk Allen's adventures will take him next. Probably into the Dark Heart of Moff Wong's Imperial Capital in New York, the Weapons Labs in Toronto, or I had another idea (albeit weak at the moment) to meet him up with Federation Resistance in Tokyo.

EDIT: spelling.

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Picard, seated at the head of the conference table, was urrounded as the overcorwded room filled further. High ranking political officials who were off planet when Earth Fell, as well as a handful of ship's captains spoke to each other in a hushed tone, a tone that became more hushed when Picard had actually entered the room. Something was up, and being the acting Supreme Commander of Starfleet military resources meant he would automatically be at the center of any signifcant controversy during wartime.

"I trust everyone who needs to be here is present at the moment?" Picard asked. Quietconversations hushed and stares turned towards the head of the table. "Good, then if there is no new business i'd like to discuss our latest security protocols..." Suddenly, Picard was interrupted by a voice from the other side of the room. "I hate to interrupt you captain but we do have some new business. A man wearing the uniform of a Commodore seated at the far right of the table now commanded the attention of the meeting. Picard recognized the man. "Commodore Davis, good to see you made it out of Spacedock alive, your shuttle came under some heavy fire on the way out." Davis bowed slightly, "No thanks to the Enterprise Admiral, I owe my life to the crew of the USS Crusader."

"A lot of us owe those brave men and women a lot of gratitude Commodore but I don't understand where it is you are going with this." The Commodore stood up and made his way to the front of the room to stand next to Picard. "My colleagues, it is with a heavy heart that I do this, but I must ask the Federation provisional government to declare Supreme Commander Jean Luc Picard unfit for command on the grounds that he is not fit for the task at hand." The small and confused crowd spoke in hushed whispers and Picard was tempted to slump into his seat and summon security to deal with Davis, however there was something about this accusation he would have to hear out.

Because Commodore Davis' shuttle had been confirmed destroyed by TIE Fighters, and he had not survived the Battle of Earth...

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

"...Furthermore picard's vaunted Earth Defense Fleet failed not only because of his poor tactics and woeful leadership. But because he is a coward as well!"

picard restrained himself marvelously. Commodore Davis, whomever he really was, had rambled on for nearly an hour trying to convince the remaining federation leadership he was incompetent. It wasn't the first time he had ever heard complaints like that, after the Stargazer was lost there were questions up and down Starfleet of wether or not he could lead another crew and it had taken many hard fought missions on the Enterprise-D before he had earned the respect of his peers. But to be called an idiot and a coward assailed him, and his ego, more than he cared to admit. the Davis he knew was not capable ogf injecting this sort of Venom into a conversation.

"The USS Crusader sacrificed itself to protect the escaping fleet while Picard did nothing. I am not asking if the good Admiral sacrificed his ship, I am asking if there was any way the Crusader could have been spared. No, I submit that the Admiral's life being in jeopardy caused more than a little undue panic."

Panic, cowardice, these were not words Picard had ever allowed to define him before. yet he remained there like a rock, straing at his accuser as if to burn him down with a high powered phaser.

"Commodore Davis, while i respect your opinions you have done nothing todemonstrate how the battle could have been better resolved. Rather you seek to sit back an waste the time of all these people here assassinating your Supreme Commander! Does anyone here have anything to gain from this? All you've done now is attempt to sow dischord to further whatever ambition it is you may have."

That was Riker, his voice cutting towards Davis like a Bat'Leth. It was good to see that not only he was in attendance, but that his loyalty was as strong as it had ever been.

"This coming from Picard's lap dog? I would expect this."

"More insults! Somebody get him out of here please!"

"Gentlemen," Picard finally spoke. The entire room here respects your rights to speak but i believe we've ran over our time and I do not want to leave a target of opportunity such as the entire leadership of the Federation availiable. I will send the new security protcols to every ship myself within the next hour. Commodore Davis if you would be so kind please remain here but other than that you may all return to your posts."

Davis looked over at Riker, the smug grin on his face surprisingly familiar to Picard. Also the provoking of RIker and the endless tirade against Picard. There was only one being in the universe with those characteristics who could also impersonate a dead man with impunity.

"Computer, activate all soundproofing and initiate secure lockdown Picard Alpha One."

Picard sttled into his seat, looked over at Davis, who was now grinning ear to ear like a madman.

"In the beginning of this conflict I wondered if you would ever show up, it seems that now is as good a time as any? Isn't it Q?"

darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

More. need. More
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

"Mon Capitane, or should I say Admiral! My you've made more career progress since we stopped having our regular conversations than since we first met."

The voice shifted back into the snide tone of Q and in a flash of eye blinding light the body of Commodore Davis became that of Q, wearing the same uniform as Picard, with a dress hat akin to that of Napoleon.

"A nice touch with the hat Q but it's been out of style for about 600 years."

"Come now Jean Luc, id my little speech get you riled back there? I can feel that temper boiling over inside that bony dome of yours. Come on Picard, let out that hate!"

"I won't let you goad me into a tantrum Q."

Q sighed, although not in the way Picard expected. It seemed more like a sigh of unusal disappointment than of irritation. Q snapped his fingers and the hat went out of existence and he began pacing.

"Damn you and morals Picard! Damn you and your high ideals!"

"Now Q swearing won't get you anywhere with me, now if our little game is over then i'm in the middle of a war that I can't afford to lose. Unless you want to wave that enemy fleet out of existence and return the Federation to power then go right ahead."

Q's stern expression turned into a demented mirth as he began to chuckle, the same sort of chuckle, Picard noted, that a Cardassian Interrogator used before his subject was to be tortured.

"Of all the times you ask for me to use the abilites at my disposal...OF ALL THE TIMES! I'm sure the other Q back at the Continuum would just drink in the utter irony!"

"Irony? I would hardly call the Federation's darkest hour ironic."

"That's because you're looking from the perspective of a mortal, and a human at that! Humans, I always knew they'd be the end of me, I just didn't realize how right I was."

Q flashed out of the room, picard just stared where the being had just stood and wondered what it was that would drive Q to this sort of irrational behavior. No matter how extreme his antics had been in the past they always served some sort of purpose. This might just be another one of those games, Picard thought, but he didn't have time to play omniscient psychologist just now.
Last edited by Darth Fanboy on 2003-08-06 02:01am, edited 1 time in total.

darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Wow. It gets better and better and better. Keep going.
saswatabanerjee
Redshirt

Next ?

Post by saswatabanerjee »

Get on with the story please.
I am dying to hear the rest. The last post is almost a month old
[/quote]
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Why did j00 post n00b. I saw this thread had new posts and thought he'd finally written more. Why do you feel the need to bring my spirits up only to let them come crashing down. Anyway he hasn't written in so long this could probably be considered thread necromancy. Oh and welcome to the boards.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Re: Next ?

Post by Kuja »

saswatabanerjee wrote:Get on with the story please.
I am dying to hear the rest. The last post is almost a month old
Buddy, resurrecting a month-old thread isn't the best way to introduce yourself. You'd have been better off to PM him.
JADAFETWA