Star Crossed Fanfic

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Natorgator wrote:
NecronLord wrote:Heh. I have my suspisions on the third path, but I'll keep them to myself.

PS: It's Trelane.
Can anyone explain who Trelane is? I know that's what Kirk calls Q, but is it a character from TOS or something?
In the TOS episode "Squire of Gothos" Kirk and Co. run across an alien being calling himself Trelayne. He exhibits powers remarkably like the Q and acts like a petulent child. If you haven't seen the episode I won't ruin the ending but many fans have for years speculated that this was a young Q. I agree with the hypothesis and simply made him the Q we know and love, thus uniting all the Trek shows with the Q character, kind of neat.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Hmmm, on the whole, I'd put your writing of Q as better than Greg Cox, but not as good as Peter David(Of course, there may be a dozen published writers whose work I enjoy more than David's, there certainly aren't more).

Leaving aside the imminent destruction of the Universe(Who knows, maybe Mike Callahan will get around to fixing it), the only path to something approaching victory that I see is the Feds somehow joining forces with the Imperium against the Empire. Of course, what we see here doesn't preclude that possibility.

I don't know, BDZing Earth seems out of character for Thrawn.
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

consequences wrote: I don't know, BDZing Earth seems out of character for Thrawn.
Remember, you're getting Kirk's perspective on the events. Who says someone else didn't advise Thrawn to BDZ Earth? Or that Thrawn BDZ'd Earth for another reason? We have to be careful how we see the future in these kind of events. :wink:

consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

True, Vader'd toast the place in a heartbeat. Or in a f'd up twist, Khan could end up sticking a worm into Thrawn's ear(or Vader's, though that's a lot more problematical). My personal question is when are the Noghri going to show up, and how that is going to turn out(unless you'd completey discounted them, in which case, never mind)
Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

I think that we have been shown the two paths that are set before Kirk. As was said, taking one path opens more and closes others. Once one of these two paths is chosen there will be many more in turn that Kirk must choose. He just won't know it. But than, Stravo has said more than once that Kirk is Fate's bitch so... All roads lead to Roman?
Writer's Guild 'Ghost in the Machine'/Decepticon 'Devastator'/BOTM 'Space Ape'/Justice League 'The Tick'
"The best part of 'believe' is the lie."
It's always the quiet ones.
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Jesus fucking christ you're a god amongst ants Stravo! I mean, that was just absolutely unbelievably brilliant!
Starcrossed wrote:“Don’t hesitate to tell Leia that you love her. It will save us when the time comes"
Leia to the rescue, eh?

Either way, Kirk has been given two choices. Either sucks. But perhaps, a path in the middle? Option 1 + Leia? I think she's definately the trump card Kirk'll have up his sleeve when the time comes.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Here's an interesting question, in Kirk's shoes, given the two choices, which would you choose?

A) Surrender and become an Imperial office but forever be responsible for the death of billions and essentially be the Emperor's toy

or

B) Submit to the torture chambers of Vader and the Executor and face a bloody and brutal (but short) death?

Hell I KNOW what each completely entails and I don't know which one I would take.

Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Stravo wrote:
consequences wrote: I don't know, BDZing Earth seems out of character for Thrawn.
Remember, you're getting Kirk's perspective on the events. Who says someone else didn't advise Thrawn to BDZ Earth? Or that Thrawn BDZ'd Earth for another reason? We have to be careful how we see the future in these kind of events. :wink:
More to the point Thrawn has 'destroyed' a species home planet before ... it was mentioned in the Thrawn trilogy.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

THis is he first time I have ever cussed online, so here goes...

Kirk maybe Fate's bitch, but I thought something when I was reading the chapter.

Fate is a bitch.

Fate turns the tables on us and puts us through things we never wanted to go through, she plays with our minds and surprises us, most times in the worst way.

Now my question is, what will the bitch do to them next?
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Stravo wrote:Here's an interesting question, in Kirk's shoes, given the two choices, which would you choose?

A) Surrender and become an Imperial office but forever be responsible for the death of billions and essentially be the Emperor's toy

or

B) Submit to the torture chambers of Vader and the Executor and face a bloody and brutal (but short) death?

Hell I KNOW what each completely entails and I don't know which one I would take.
[yoda]Difficult to see the future is, always in motion.[/yoda]
[mara jade]I think you're wasting your time, the emperor put a lot of stock in that foresight stuff, didn't help him in the end[/mara jade]
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
HRogge
Jedi Master

Post by HRogge »

Stravo wrote:Here's an interesting question, in Kirk's shoes, given the two choices, which would you choose?

or

possibility B could be a "good" end... maybe Kirk has seen the future seconds before his friends rescued him... it could be a future only a few days away.

in possibility A he HAS already lost... ( and is responsible for 60 billion people ).
Dark Primus
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Primus »

or

Well if Kirk gets captured and dies sure the Federation remnant would get a severe moral blow, but hundreds of people would line up to take his place. I think in the long run option A is the worst of them all. It looks to be so bad that Imperial Kirk might get suicidal. He has nothing left to fight for.

And there is this Imperium rebellion mentioned.
EAT SHIT AND DIE! - Because I say so

"Me Grimlock Badass" -Grimlock
Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

Yes but Imperial Kirk could very well pull himself out of his funk and try to overthrow the Emperor from the inside. He could avenge the deaths of the innocents and redeem himself, at least in part, in his own eyes. Kirk isn't a man who can sit and not do the right thing for long.
Writer's Guild 'Ghost in the Machine'/Decepticon 'Devastator'/BOTM 'Space Ape'/Justice League 'The Tick'
"The best part of 'believe' is the lie."
It's always the quiet ones.
JodoForce
Village Idiot

Post by JodoForce »

or

I had asked this before and I will ask again: does (B) also have Kirk being responsible for the death of even more deaths than (A)? Does B entail carrying on the fight after the point he surrendered in (A), fighting down to the last man, and his capture?

Obviously not I should think?

What DOES it entail then?
Busily picking nuggets out of my well-greased ass.
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

JodoForce wrote:

or

I had asked this before and I will ask again: does (B) also have Kirk being responsible for the death of even more deaths than (A)? Does B entail carrying on the fight after the point he surrendered in (A), fighting down to the last man, and his capture?

Obviously not I should think?

What DOES it entail then?
That would be cheating, you only get to know what Kirk knows. You saw what Kirk saw and these are your decisions. Sometimes getting a peek at the future can be even more frustrating than none at all.

Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

or

Very frustrating...in Kirk's shoes I would find a third solution.

What I love about what you did is show that Kirk looks to be damned if he does(Imperial Kirk) or damned if he doesn't(Capture Kirk).

If in the end only two...death because in that way, I myself would stay true to what I am and not become the lapdog of something I have fought against.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Agent R
Padawan Learner

Post by Agent R »

Hmmmm...interesting, indeed.

Kirk seems to be damned either way. Also, either way, he seems to be dying a slow, agonizing death, emotionally as the Imp commanding the ISD Enterprise, or physically as the beaten up prisoner.

I favor a third option: Q shows Kirk these things as a way of getting him to think just the least bit more. Then Kirk opens up and unlocks some hidden god power of his, rewrites the rules of the game and takes them all down a path that no one knew existed.

But if it were only A or B, I choose B. Physical pain cannot compare to emotional pain.
No conscience. No law. No stopping them....

....well, maybe a Happy Meal would do it.

Ka Anor needs test subjects!
I still think Furlings look like tribbles
Trytostaydead
Sith Marauder

Post by Trytostaydead »

Well, then again as I said earlier, what we've seen are incomplete fragments of the future.

While in path B, sure.. he might get rescued moments after meeting up with himself from the past.. but I actually dislike path B the most. It's an easy way out. Get tortured and quickly die and end the pain as opposed to the suffering Imperial Captain Kirk goes through each moment and day.

After the death of 60 Billion sentients in the Federation, at least Imperial Kirk tried to do something to stop the carnage. He surrendered himself to what he fears and hates the most so that billion others aren't vaporized.

I guess that's the real question then. What is more valued? Life or Freedom?
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

“Have you forgotten my little light show a few months ago? You humans are ridiculous, I show you the breadth and scope of reality itself and you FORGOT?”

LOL Stravo that was a great line.

WONDERFUL chapter. I for one doubt that there are two choices only (Of course, I don't believe in fate). Loved the 'Force chamber' part, beautifully done as always. The two paths were great as well.

By the way, the episode of TOS that involves Kodos is my FAVORITE episode of TOS, there is just something beautifully done about that episode.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Slowhand
Redshirt
Location: Sitting atop Victor's rack. That's good vibrations!

I am not worthy...

Post by Slowhand »

I've read here that in real life, you're a lawyer, Stravo. If you know the law half as good as you know how to write riveting fiction such as this, then you must be a real legal eagle indeed.

The way that you write Capt. Kirk is entirely captivating. Keep up the outstanding work! :D

It's really a pity that this work will never will see the light of day as a screen play. A damned shame is what it is.

A bonified fan of Stravo,
Once it was known as the Codeine Hippo, but so as not to influence a legion of teenage fans, it was renamed the Cosmic Hippo. Most often seen flying through the depths of space, to catch one is to be near the Flecktones themselves.

With my spear and magic helmet,

~Slowhand
Mitth`raw`nuruodo
Harry Potter on Acid

Post by Mitth`raw`nuruodo »

Loved the chapter. I think that Kirk will beat the odds and a "C" choice will come up somewhere, but if that doesn't happen, physical pain and a quick death is better than killing yourself slowly over the years.
<< SEGNOR: Grand Admiral of the Gnomish Hordes >< GALE: Equal Opportunity Lover >< SDNet Keeper of the Lore >< Great Dolphin Conspiracy >>
My Audioscrobbler

Cult of Vin Diesel - When you mix Vin Diesel with a strong acid you get salt water.
guyver
Padawan Learner

Post by guyver »

This story is great!!!!!!!!!!!

can not wait till the end
PRESSURE CANON!

Warwolves CO
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

guyver wrote:This story is great!!!!!!!!!!!

No no no no no! End bad! Contiuation FOREVER good! Otherwise Oog rip Oog's head off!
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:
guyver wrote:This story is great!!!!!!!!!!!

No no no no no! End bad! Contiuation FOREVER good! Otherwise Oog rip Oog's head off!
Are you kidding me? The end will be one of the MOST FUCKING AWESOME THING I WILL HAVE READ TO DATE EVER!!!
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Damn you guys! I thought a new chapter was posted. :P