What's a good universal IM program?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

What's a good universal IM program?

Post by StarshipTitanic »

I know about Trillian but I hear people talking about it being a memory whore.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
Seggybop
Jedi Council Member

Post by Seggybop »

Trillian does a great job. I check it now, and it's apparently taking 17mb of ram. This seems inordinate, but it doesn't have any negative effect on me now so I don't care.
my heart is a shell of depleted uranium
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Right now I have 256mb and it's 42% free. I'm currently running AOL, Netscape, and Yahoo. Would that be bad?
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Trillian has never given me problems, nor have I had the slightest difficulty with it hogging memory. Even doing highly resource-intensive operations, Trillian's effect on my system is minimal.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Hmmm, well ok then, I'll use it too.

Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

I have a gigabyte of ram, with a ~2400 megabyte total memory.

17 megs used by Trillian is vastly insignificant. :P

Trillian's ability to do lots of things more than makes up for it.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

I use Trillian exclusively
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Trillian's good, Miranda's OK. However, I've recently had problems using ICQ file transfer over Trillian.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

A lot of people like Trillian. Others like MirandaICQ; I've lately been partial to the Windows port of GAIM.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

phongn wrote:A lot of people like Trillian. Others like MirandaICQ; I've lately been partial to the Windows port of GAIM.
GAIM? :?

And while 17megs and such may not be that much to you with the huge ass RAM loads, what about someone with a 120MB RAM? Who also is doing other stuff at the time.

And how can I check this stuff with Win98? Like what RAM a program uses, how much is free, etc?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

You can find out how much is used by right-clicking on My Computer>Properties>Performance. I don't know we can find out the amount each program uses with Windows, though.

Solamnus
Youngling

Post by Solamnus »

I use Trillian as well. So far, I have no problems with Trillian at all. I would recommend it.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

StarshipTitanic wrote:You can find out how much is used by right-clicking on My Computer>Properties>Performance. I don't know we can find out the amount each program uses with Windows, though.
If you run an NT-based OS, you can determine how much RAM is being used with the Task Manager (as well as how much of that is being paged out).
Coaan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Coaan »

it comes down to your system....can it handle one big task or five (assuming you use all of trillian) small tasks better? Use it as suits...personally..it might slow down full screen internet games...but other than that....I have no complaints with trillian...only praise
Xcom ; Standing proud and getting horrifically murdered by Chryssalids since 1994
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

phongn wrote:
StarshipTitanic wrote:You can find out how much is used by right-clicking on My Computer>Properties>Performance. I don't know we can find out the amount each program uses with Windows, though.
If you run an NT-based OS, you can determine how much RAM is being used with the Task Manager (as well as how much of that is being paged out).
Ah, gotcha.