Windows messenger issues

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Solamnus
Youngling

Windows messenger issues

Post by Solamnus »

I am trying to keep Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger from loading. I can keep the evils of this program from loading at startup by going into MSCONFIG, but as soon as I check my mail with Outlook Express, it automatically signs me in, and when I close Outlook, it signs out. Can anyone tell me how to keep Windows Messenger off...to keep it from signing in when I open Outlook? I do not want to be signed in when I check my mail because I use Trillian and it drops the connection it has already made.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Re: Windows messenger issues

Post by Alyeska »

Solamnus wrote:I am trying to keep Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger from loading. I can keep the evils of this program from loading at startup by going into MSCONFIG, but as soon as I check my mail with Outlook Express, it automatically signs me in, and when I close Outlook, it signs out. Can anyone tell me how to keep Windows Messenger off...to keep it from signing in when I open Outlook? I do not want to be signed in when I check my mail because I use Trillian and it drops the connection it has already made.
I've had this same problem. As best I can tell, WM is required with OE. My way to prevent signing in is to have Trillian running with its MSN element signed in instead.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Embracer Of Darkness
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by Embracer Of Darkness »

Windows Messenger is stupid anyway, you need file to remove it (don't worry, it's safe). You can stop MSN Messenger from signing in all the time like a 'tard, so remove W-M and install MSN-M.

The link to the file is:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_messenger_remove.htm
Johonebesus
Jedi Master

Post by Johonebesus »

Unless there is something else called messenger, I just renamed the folder in Program Files. The only reason I didn't delete it was in the off chance I ever want it. The computer doesn't know it's there, and it never loads. It has never caused any problems at all.
"Can you eat quarks? Can you spread them on your bed when the cold weather comes?" -Bernard Levin

"Sir: Mr. Bernard Levin asks 'Can you eat quarks?' I estimate that he eats 500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001 quarks a day...Yours faithfully..." -Sir Alan Cottrell

Elohim's loving mercy: "Hey, you, don't turn around. WTF! I said DON'T tur- you know what, you're a pillar of salt now. Bitch." - an anonymous commenter
Vertigo1
Defender of the Night

Post by Vertigo1 »

Its a setting in Outlook Express. I don't know exactly where it is since I absolutely REFUSE to use that security risk they call a mail client.
"I once asked Rebecca to sing Happy Birthday to me during sex. That was funny, especially since I timed my thrusts to sync up with the words. And yes, it was my birthday." - Darth Wong

Leader of the SD.Net Gargoyle Clan | Spacebattles Firstone | Twitter
Johonebesus
Jedi Master

Post by Johonebesus »

Vertigo1 wrote:Its a setting in Outlook Express. I don't know exactly where it is since I absolutely REFUSE to use that security risk they call a mail client.
That didn't work for me. I had to completely get rid of it.
"Can you eat quarks? Can you spread them on your bed when the cold weather comes?" -Bernard Levin

"Sir: Mr. Bernard Levin asks 'Can you eat quarks?' I estimate that he eats 500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001 quarks a day...Yours faithfully..." -Sir Alan Cottrell

Elohim's loving mercy: "Hey, you, don't turn around. WTF! I said DON'T tur- you know what, you're a pillar of salt now. Bitch." - an anonymous commenter