Why does music suck so much right now?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Why does music suck so much right now?

Post by Superman »

I think many people here would agree with me that 95% of music that is popular is absolute crap. I think that this is why the recording industries are going down (not because of downloading MP3's).

Right now I am listening to Johnny Cash (I'm 25). What is the deal with modern music? We're getting shit like Justin Timberlake crammed down our throats. What's the deal?
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

I actually agree with you. I won't go as far of my friends, some of whom are listening to disco ( :roll: ), but I'm listening to "Oldies" from the 80's, and some other stuff that isn't remotely modern. And I don't care. It's better than what they're throwing at us today.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Yes, all this "popular" "music" is anything but.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Trytostaydead
Sith Marauder

Re: Why does music suck so much right now?

Post by Trytostaydead »

Superman wrote:I think many people here would agree with me that 95% of music that is popular is absolute crap. I think that this is why the recording industries are going down (not because of downloading MP3's).

Right now I am listening to Johnny Cash (I'm 25). What is the deal with modern music? We're getting shit like Justin Timberlake crammed down our throats. What's the deal?
That's what happens when you let purchasing power go to the women and pubescent girls!! :evil:

<hides from flame backlash>
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

I primarly listen to anime and video game music. I haven't really listened to commercial radio for about five years.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

I have some pet theories.

1. The best music is produced during times of much strife. The 60's for example. No, the current economic malaise does not count.

2. Music is such a commodity now that it has little to do with creativity and all to do with making $$$.

3. Until recently times were booming, during boom times things like music tend to be more fluff than grit. Related to #1.
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Yes, most new music suck shit, there are a few that I find to my liking, such as the Finnish band Lordi, and The Sounds with the song "Living in America"

Still, they don't beat Credence or Deep Purple(Black Knight is a long way from home...)

But the best is the swedish song "De ska va gött å leva, annars kan de kvitta" :D
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
beyond hope
Jedi Council Member

Post by beyond hope »

I have to concur on both points: modern music is pure crap, and mp3 downloads are the scapegoat. I guess "those damn music pirates" goes over better at the record labels as a reason for their shrinking profits than "well, some fool decided to give Mariah Carey another recording contract." The only new release i'm looking forward to outside of the soundtrack genre is the rumored new nine inch nails album. Even that has me thinking "I hope this doesn't suck."

My solution was to loot my dad's CD collection in search of classical music that I like.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

The last CD I bought was Sarah McLachlan's 1997 album Surfacing at a garage sale about a week ago...

The last several CDs I bought before that were imports.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Eminem > You.

(not addressed to anyone in particular, to clarify)
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Thankyou Superman, I for one hate modern music, to make it worse, my sister is one of these teenyboppers, and having her blast this crap from the loungeroom is rather horrifying.

Later on I like to retaliate with John Lennon, and my newest addition, Goldfinger.

I would like to mention I hate Avril Lavigne.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I am starting to believe the rule "Never buy a CD from a band whose members are all still living."

Hmm sounds like time to buy some Clash...

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Music sucks nowadays because it can. Talent really doesn't matter as much as selling records, and why bother with staying power when you can easily be replaced with the newest pop star du jour once you fade away? It's the consumers' faults. They're the ones willing to shell out money for a CD by a talentless artist for some other reason. The same problem with Reality TV, in my opinion.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi wrote:Music sucks nowadays because it can. Talent really doesn't matter as much as selling records, and why bother with staying power when you can easily be replaced with the newest pop star du jour once you fade away? It's the consumers' faults. They're the ones willing to shell out money for a CD by a talentless artist for some other reason. The same problem with Reality TV, in my opinion.
If we could only wipe out the general population... :twisted:
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

Yeah, I totally agree with everyone here. I find myself usually listening to Elvis, Credence, Tom Petty, Johnny Cash, songs from South Park... Even Tom Jones :wink: . The era of when people actually had to have talent to make it. Hell, I even listen to some of my finace's music from Japan. It's better than the crap out now.
Dennis Toy
BANNED

Post by Dennis Toy »

got it bud, for example, Soul Music is almost dead. I think the last real music was micheal jackson in the 80's before his....>Ahem< metamorphosis. Believe it or not, i dont listen to rap, rap music after 1993 is nothing but shit.
You wanna set an example Garak....Use him, Let him Die!!
namdoolb
Padawan Learner

Post by namdoolb »

95% of music always sucks......

The only difference is that we look at the past through rose tinted glasses, and tend to remember much more of the 5% that was good than the 95% that wasn't.

Also, if you're not old enough to have actualy been there, (Yes, I know that some of you are old enough... but I also know that some of you aren't.) then chances are you've never heard much of the 95% because it just doesn't survive.
Hethrir
Jedi Master

Post by Hethrir »

Even the virtosos are starting to pump out crap :( It's a sad day when musicians music starts going down hill...
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

I blame MTV. Since the start of MTV there has been a hoard of VJ's telling us what is cool and whats not. These VJ's are bank rolled buy a faceless army or record producers who want to get rich quick. As such they produce utter shite. The get voice trained chimps backed by synthasized music. They then tell the VJ's to tell the kids thats what's cool. The kids grow up, their feeble minds bombarded by voices telling them they are social outcasts unless they listen to this, wear that and drink the other brand. These kids when they grow up then have no individuality and are quite incapable of doing anything without the approval of an authority like MTV news or FHM.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Hethrir
Jedi Master

Post by Hethrir »

*gasp* that sounds a lot like Josie and the Pussycats!
Xenophobe3691
Sith Marauder

Post by Xenophobe3691 »

Ever heard of a band called "Donkey Punch?" THAT'S the type of music coming out nowadays. Pure, utter, BULLSHIT.
Dark Heresy: Dance Macabre - Imperial Psyker Magnus Arterra

BoTM
Proud Decepticon

Post 666 Made on Fri Jul 04, 2003 @ 12:48 pm
Post 1337 made on Fri Aug 22, 2003 @ 9:18 am
Post 1492 Made on Fri Aug 29, 2003 @ 5:16 pm

Hail Xeno: Lord of Calculus -- Ace Pace
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

"In an age where bands seem to achieve dizzying heights of success solely based on the amount of times they can moan in contrived rage about how unbearable modern society is whilst accompanying such incessant drivel with seemingly the same three riffs again and again song after song, or how many naked breasts and expletives they can plaster over their album covers or t-shirts (aided of course by the corrupt and jaded media whose pockets are lined by record companies fervently handing over greenbacks to ensure their run of the mill acts are flavour of the month and will thus infiltrate the psyche of the more impressionable and deluded sheep-like masses who swallow such pap like baby birds awaiting regurgitated worms), true art is often ignored." - Bal-Sagoth vocalist Byron A. Roberts

I think it can't be said better.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

It's not just rock music that sucks right now. I'm a fan of Country music, and with few exceptions, today's Country isn't worth the effort to turn on the radio.

I'll tell you why it sucks.

About a decade or more ago, the Nashville music mavens decided to market to a target audience.
This target audience consists of women who have only a high-school education, are in their 20's to early 30's, heterosexual with a boyfriend or husband, smoke, drive American cars, and have 1 or 2 kids.
They even gave this targeted audience a name: 'Debbie'.

That's why so many new Country singers are buff males with chiseled faces who croon sappy love ballads.

Think back to who made up the majority of Garth Brooks' fanbase and you'll know what I'm talking about.

The Dixie Chicks also appeal to this target market. I don't consider them to be country. To me, they're pop music with a Southern accent.

There are exceptions to this trend, but they're outside the mainstream such as Steve Earle. I don't care for his politics, but I love his music.
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
Demiurge
Rabid Monkey

Post by Demiurge »

JediNeophyte wrote:Eminem > You.

(not addressed to anyone in particular, to clarify)
Drunk hobo > Eminem. :)
delicious pies
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:I am starting to believe the rule "Never buy a CD from a band whose members are all still living."

Hmm sounds like time to buy some Clash...
I think a lot of metal bands are an exception to that. Of course, a lot of them are semi-underground, too.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF