Why does music suck so much right now?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

EmperorMing
Sith Devotee

Post by EmperorMing »

No wonder I still like music from a few decades ago.

Most of the stuff I listen to now is on independant labels. And if I want artificial, I'll go *listen* :shock: to disco...

DILLIGAF: Does It Look Like I Give A Fuck

Kill your God!
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

I will agree that the vast majority of "popular" music played today is pure, unadulterated crap. But I must dissent with the majority of posters here, and state my opinion that The Eminem Show is the real deal. The guy is funny, he's out there, and he is actually pretty talented. I don't usually listen to rap, but I do enjoy his stuff.

I think there's a general rule of thumb that a band needs to be dead for at least ten years before it's worth paying attention to. If the music still endures after that much time, it's probably because it's good shit. But then again if your band's name starts with "Led" and ends with "Zeppelin", I don't think you need to worry about the rules of thumb. All you have to do is just bask in your own greatness....
"A country without a Czar is like a village without an idiot."
- Old Russian Saying
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

I kinda disagree with the general opinion here. I think music these days is still as good as it's ever been, it's just that the good stuff is harder to find with all the garbage crowding the airwaves and MTV. The mediocre stuff is heavily promoted and played and becomes wildly popular while most of the good stuff falls between the cracks. It's unfortunate but it happens.

Let's take a look at some of last year's CD releases, Avril Lavigne's "Let Go", Shania Twain's "Up", Sarah Slean's "Nightbugs", and Tori Amos's "Scarlet's Walk". The first 2 were full out record company promotion deals, heavy radio airplay, constantly on MTV, newspaper & magazine ads everywhere, and even ads on bus shelters. The music, well, it sucked. Mediocre poppy crap that makes me cringe, but hey, who cares, because they sold millions of CD's and made some record company people pretty damn rich.

The last 2 albums were released without any fanfare, no radio play, Sarah had a video that got played a couple times on MuchMusic but that was it. They didn't even put the albums on the "new releases" rack at the local record store. Both of them are among the best albums I have, musically solid and not a single weak song on the albums. In a way it's good since not too many people know about them and that helps to keep concert ticket prices down, but still, it ain't right.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

So..

If.Drunken Hobo > Eminem.&&.Eminem > You:
(Drunken Hobo > You);

... Uh.. No.
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Who made that DareDevil song? The one with the lady that sounds soft and sort of etheral but then goes into seeming "hard rock" at points, then back again?

I actually kinda liked it. One of the few lyrical songs I really do like, up there with "Lose Yourself" and "Gangsta's Paradise" (hm, 2/3s of it is rap...ah, fuck it, I like it).
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

RogueIce wrote:Who made that DareDevil song? The one with the lady that sounds soft and sort of etheral but then goes into seeming "hard rock" at points, then back again?
Evanescence - "Bring Me to Life". It was good until the damn radio stations started playing it 10 times a day every day.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

The original Bring Me To Life kicked ass. They remixed it and added that fucking SHIT 'nurock' mixed with hip hop. its vomit inducing. Thats what happens, I suppose, when execs get their hands on music.
Demiurge
Rabid Monkey

Post by Demiurge »

kojikun wrote:So..

If.Drunken Hobo > Eminem.&&.Eminem > You:
(Drunken Hobo > You);

... Uh.. No.
Well, who does "you" refer to?
delicious pies
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Increased monopolisation of the media industry leads inevitably to increased homoginisation of all its forms, especially music, and the consequent decline in diversity and quality which must follow.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
aphexmonster
Jedi Council Member

Post by aphexmonster »

I like the pop music of today, i like the pop music of yesterday. Its all the same, they're still just notes that sound interesting together :)
-monster
my sig is totaly lonely now =(
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Nowadays most of the stuff I listen to comprises of 60's through to 80's rock, and lot's of Weird Al. I also have a lot of theme music.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

We have hit the bottom of the barrel. In fact, we've gone below the bottom of the barrel. We're making new barrels and stacking them on top of each other
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

Patrick Degan wrote:Increased monopolisation of the media industry leads inevitably to
increased homoginisation of all its forms, especially music, and the
consequent decline in diversity and quality which must follow.
I think the BBC actually leaves itself out of the artist's work. They have free net radio, atleast. :)
Lt. Dan
Jedi Knight

Post by Lt. Dan »

All the music co. are shot gunning it. Because one blonde singer works, there are ten more right after her. Because 12 and 13 year old girls like the *shuders* "punk", there are ten more after them. Like the "Ataris" and the countless more "punk bands" that suck wind. I hate the music that is out now. I'm just happy they have good music on the radio. Too bad it's only one station. Nothing would make me happier then to see them lined up and shot. Death to the pop punks! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
d(-_-)b
Lt. Dan
Jedi Knight

Post by Lt. Dan »

HemlockGrey wrote:We have hit the bottom of the barrel. In fact, we've gone below the bottom of the barrel. We're making new barrels and stacking them on top of each other
How very true. Sad but true.(<---Hehe Metallica)
d(-_-)b
Lt. Dan
Jedi Knight

Post by Lt. Dan »

aerius wrote:
RogueIce wrote:Who made that DareDevil song? The one with the lady that sounds soft and sort of etheral but then goes into seeming "hard rock" at points, then back again?
Evanescence - "Bring Me to Life". It was good until the damn radio stations started playing it 10 times a day every day.
Amen.
d(-_-)b
Drewcifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Drewcifer »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:I am starting to believe the rule "Never buy a CD from a band whose members are all still living."
lol!
Hmm sounds like time to buy some Clash...
Start with London Calling, one of the greatest rock and roll records ever made.

aerius wrote:I kinda disagree with the general opinion here. I think music these days is still as good as it's ever been, it's just that the good stuff is harder to find with all the garbage crowding the airwaves and MTV. The mediocre stuff is heavily promoted and played and becomes wildly popular while most of the good stuff falls between the cracks. It's unfortunate but it happens.
I agree. There's still tons of great music coming out, you just have to look for it a little harder. Unfortunately, the recent conglomeration of American radio into fewer hands has vastly decresed the quality of commercial radio; playlists are often programmed for 200 stations at once. heh I think every major city in the US now has a "The Fox Classic Rock" station...

Anyhow, to find good new music, check out public or college radio. Too, if you find an independant band that you like, check out the entire catalog of the record label the band is on. Most small labels tend to sign very similar acts, so if like one band, you'll most likely enjoy other bands on the same label. Also, get involved in the local music scene. Support Live Music!
Image Original Warsie ++ Smartass! ~ Picker ~ Grinner ~ Lover ~ Sinner ++ "There's no time for later now"
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Coldplay.

A jewel in the middle of a field of garbage.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

kojikun wrote:The original Bring Me To Life kicked ass. They remixed it and added that fucking SHIT 'nurock' mixed with hip hop. its vomit inducing. Thats what happens, I suppose, when execs get their hands on music.
So you mean there's a different version of "Bring me to Life" that doesn't have all the "rock" stuff?
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Shinova wrote:Coldplay.

I've heard some of them, and they are rather good for current music.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Dalton wrote:
Shinova wrote:Coldplay.

I've heard some of them, and they are rather good for current music.
I bought the 1st coldplay album. What a shower of depressing bastards. I made it in 4 songs before i had the knife in my hands. I had to throw the CD away, it was trying to kill me.

In a way i blame Nirvana for a lot of the decline of Rock and Metal. Too many bands from now grew up idolising Nirvana and ended up poor Nirvana clones.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Lord Pounder wrote: I bought the 1st coldplay album. What a shower of depressing bastards. I made it in 4 songs before i had the knife in my hands. I had to throw the CD away, it was trying to kill me.
Try samples of their second album, A Rush of Blood to the Head. Or get some MP3s.

Just a suggestion.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Lt. Dan wrote:
HemlockGrey wrote:We have hit the bottom of the barrel. In fact, we've gone below the bottom of the barrel. We're making new barrels and stacking them on top of each other
How very true. Sad but true.(<---Hehe Metallica)
Kill 'em all.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Zed Snardbody
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zed Snardbody »

MTV really is to blame, there is so much good stuff out there but is excluded because its not rap, or made by chick with huge tits. I can't stand MTV. It all rap, sorry, R&B all the time. Now I don't want to sound like a racist, but the shit is all the same. All the songs revolve around their expensive shit, their bitches, and money. If I wanted to hear about that kind of stuff, I would read fortune.

So many good artist get ignored, I'd like to name a few.

Vanessa Carlton. For some reason the only songs that made it to video are the ones that don't seem to reflect the rest of her style. Her other works are beautiful, though a tad dark.

Cake. What can I say, its odd, but its well done.

Evanescence. Amy Lee has the voice of a God. I can't recommend their music enough. Support them! Buy the CD. Its moderately priced. "My Immortal" is one of the best ballads I've heard in a long time. Also "You" is excelent, its a shame its not commercialy released, it was put out on the net by accident. Ms. Lee requested that it stoped being shared as it was a personal song and asked that coppies be deleted, but I personaly couldn't bare to part with it.

Michelle Branch. Very Commercial, but she does produce some very good music. Definitely worth a listen.

The Red Elvises. 50's style rock band from Siberia with Russian accents.
The Zen of Not Fucking Up.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Again, this is why I mainly go with anime and video game music and stuff from OverClocked ReMix. Ain't nothing gone wrong with those. ;)
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"