Astrology fucking debunked after 50 year study...

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Astrology fucking debunked after 50 year study...

Post by MKSheppard »

http://www.washtimes.com/world/20030817 ... -9384r.htm

Comprehensive study of 'time twins' debunks astrology

By Robert Matthews
Published August 18, 2003

LONDON — Scientists have once and for all debunked astrology's central claim — that our human characteristics are molded by the influence of the sun, moon and planets at the time of our birth — in the most thorough scientific study ever conducted on the subject.

For several decades, researchers tracked more than 2,000 people — most of them born within minutes of each other. According to astrology, the subjects should have had very similar traits.

The babies were originally recruited as part of a medical study begun in London in 1958 into how the circumstances of birth can affect future health. More than 2,000 babies born in early March that year were registered, and their development was monitored at regular intervals.

Researchers looked at more than 100 different characteristics, including occupation, anxiety levels, marital status, aggressiveness, sociability, IQ levels and ability in art, sports, mathematics and reading — all of which astrologers claim can be gauged from birth charts.

The scientists failed to find any evidence of similarities between the "time twins," however. They reported in the current issue of the Journal of Consciousness Studies: "The test conditions could hardly have been more conducive to success ... but the results are uniformly negative."

Analysis of the research was carried out by Geoffrey Dean, a scientist and former astrologer based in Perth, Australia, and Ivan Kelly, a psychologist at the University of Saskatchewan, Canada.

Mr. Dean said the results undermined the claims of astrologers, who typically work with birth data far less precise than that used in the study. "They sometimes argue that times of birth just a minute apart can make all the difference by altering what they call the 'house cusps,' " he said. "But in their work, they are happy to take whatever time they can get from a client."

The findings caused alarm and anger in astrological circles yesterday. Roy Gillett, the president of the Astrological Association of Great Britain, said the study's findings should be treated "with extreme caution" and accused Mr. Dean of seeking to "discredit astrology."

Frank McGillion, a consultant to the Southampton-based Research Group for the Critical Study of Astrology, said of the newly published work: "It is simplistic and highly selective and does not cover all of the research." He added that he would lodge a complaint with the editors of the journal.

Astrologers have for centuries claimed to be able to extract deep insights into the personality and destiny of people using nothing more than the details of the time and place of birth.

Astrology has been growing in popularity. Surveys suggest that a majority of people in Britain believe in it, compared with only 13 percent 50 years ago. The Association of Professional Astrologers claims that 80 percent of Britons read star columns, and psychological studies have found that 60 percent regularly read their horoscopes.

Despite the skepticism of scientists, astrology has grown to be a huge worldwide business, spawning thousands of telephone lines, Internet sites and horoscope columns in newspapers and magazines.

It seems that no sector of society is immune to its attraction. A recent survey found that a third of science students subscribed to some aspects of astrology, while some supposedly hard-headed businessmen now support a thriving market in "financial astrology" — paying for predictions of trends such as the rise and fall of the stock market.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

paying for predictions of trends such as the rise and fall of the stock market.
I can do that.

Yes the stockmarket will rise or fall tomorrow.

Look it up I am 100% correct :)
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Fuck that shit, telling a girl I believed in astrology got me laid once. Until they debunk that pretending you beleive in Astroloigy gets you pussy from dumb women I will be a true believer. :twisted:
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Nothing like modern folklore for withering under the scrutiny of empirical testing, eh?
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

As if astrologists have ever even bothered with evidence for their crackpot garbage to try and prove it in the first place...no debunking should even be necessary. But, that's how it goes in our irrational society.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

My opinion on the subject is clear: If an astrologer or psychic makes a prediction which turns out to be true, it's always a coincidence.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

Faram wrote:I can do that.

Yes the stockmarket will rise or fall tomorrow.

Look it up I am 100% correct :)
I'm gonna laugh when the market makes 0% change :lol:
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

And yet everyone who strongly believes in astrology will continue to believe in astrology, regardless of this test. It, unfortunately, only preaches to the choir.

I once considered getting into astrology. Not because I believe the planets and the stars and their positions have any meaning that exclusively applies to individuals, but rather because it would get me paid and laid for life. There are astrologers that are payed six figure incomes by companies (six figures!) for their services and there are an endless supply of bimbos in the world who will gladly jump into bed if a smooth player like myself convinces them that the planets approve. In the end, the only thing rising when the stars are right is my bank account and my wang as the airheads line up to give it a pre-ordained sucking... yeah, baby!

*ahem*

But then I decided to do something with my life.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Stravo wrote:Fuck that shit, telling a girl I believed in astrology got me laid once. Until they debunk that pretending you beleive in Astroloigy gets you pussy from dumb women I will be a true believer. :twisted:
You're reading text from a guy who used to sit in half-decayed houses with hippies searching for spooks. They believed in ghosts. They believed in astrology. They believed in 'free love'.

I'm with Stravo on THIS point. When you're young, EVERYONE looks good, and ALL sex feels good.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Slowhand
Redshirt
Location: Sitting atop Victor's rack. That's good vibrations!

Post by Slowhand »

I have never believed in astrology and I've always felt that people who really do are weak and impressionable. I may be quilty of reading the daily horoscope in the paper, but that hardly makes me a believer.

With that said, one year ago I met a woman you was born the day before me. We share a disproportionately high number of likes and dislikes. What I mean to say is that it's really a little strange just how much we have in common.

This does not alter my stance on astrology, but it has reawakened a few thoughts on reincarnation and shared past lives.

No, not really.
Once it was known as the Codeine Hippo, but so as not to influence a legion of teenage fans, it was renamed the Cosmic Hippo. Most often seen flying through the depths of space, to catch one is to be near the Flecktones themselves.

With my spear and magic helmet,

~Slowhand
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

:shock: They wasted fifty years to prove that astrology is bullshit. :roll:
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Hm, this morning....though I am to fix that later ;)

As for the Astology stuff....it doesnt take a genius, just two braincells to rub together....unfortunately that is often a lacking thing in so many people.....
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
Jawawithagun
Jedi Master

Post by Jawawithagun »

if they got someone to finance this research the years weren't wasted ... at least for them
"I said two shot to the head, not three." (Anonymous wiretap, Dallas, TX, 11/25/63)

Only one way to make a ferret let go of your nose - stick a fag up its arse!

there is no god - there is no devil - there is no heaven - there is no hell
live with it
- Lazarus Long
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

It took the THAT long! :shock: :P
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
EmperorChrostas the Cruel
Rabid Monkey

Post by EmperorChrostas the Cruel »

At the risk of hijacking this thread, I want to get a few things straight.

First, the nit picker dictionarionists. If I say that humans have ten fingers, are you going to gleefully state that uncle Bob only has 8, from working in the lumber mill? Then count coup to yourself, about how much smarter you are than the fool who said humans have ten fingers? (Not ALL assholes, but with the exeption of the disfigured ones, I AM right.) Missing the obvious that MOST humans DO have ten fingers, and those that claim otherwise are the real fools.

Now, to the "pretty women on average are dumber" theory.
Stupid is, as stupid does. Most beautiful women, (Most, MOST! MOST! FUCKING DAMMIT!) do not have to work as hard intelectualy as their ugly counter parts. Brains takes work, as well as good genetics.
Why use your average ability, when you have an exeptional talent for manipulating men?
You use what you have, and if a woman has beauty, most will use it. It is easier than mental gymnastics, this manipulation of men. It is also very rewarding, on an instinctive level, to be desired.
Ugly, or even average women, don't have the OPTION of being stupid, and not being poor.They MUST work harder to succeed.
Sometimes they substitute being a slut for being hot, a bird in the hand whatnot.
Hotties use the power of the male libido to get what they want. The smart ones know this abilty will fade with time, and plan. (Grasshopper and ant)

As to what's hot, and what's not, this is like food. Tastes vary.

One of the hallmarks of the Pamela Anderson school of beauty, is helplessness, or ineptitude, real, or fake. This makes the man want to go over to her and "help her out." This will detroy the woman if she does this too much, or past her prime.
In the wild kingdom, many animals that eat meat are fierce fighters.
Signals of submissiveness, and weakness, mean the male will get to fuck, not fight, and are thus more desirable.(as opposed to potentialy dangerous)
Ditzy girls "need" help, and this makes them more atractive.
To MOST! (see above)
This is legacy architecture at it's best.
Competant women might get your respect, but it won't tickle your hormones in and of itself. Low maintenence women are the best, but they don't kick your testoserone into overdrive.
The lightening bolt of passion is seldom rational, but not the only way to fall in love.
Love at first sight, or the gradual build up over years are very different pathes.

Sexuality is OLD, like predating land animals.
There is great folly is ascribing PC ideas, to sex, something anchient, and primative.

The idea it is a completely rational process is arrogant in the extreme, and tempuscentric. The idea we are now smarter, and thus can know even the unknowable.

The big picture, is that beauty, and brains, are both in short supply. The likelyhood of having BOTH is doubly unlikely, yet still possible.
The odds then favor, that if you see a hottie, she is average, or less, in the brains department, just by the odds. She will most likely be not at her best, in the brain training/skills dept. (went to college, got an Mrs. degree!)
The odds favour when seeing a normal or unnatractive woman, it is more likely she has better brains. She definatly has a better chance of more brain training. (Studied harder, with less distractions from men, and can't depend on a man to support you.)

Attitude, and study habits, change your IQ. Stupid is, as stupid does. By acting, and practicing being dumb, they get dumber! Or the opposite!
Like Darwin's theory, losing a needed trait is disaster, but losing unneeded or redundant part goes almost unnoticed.
Eyes to a cave fish, and brains in a hottie, are both not needed.
Hmmmmmm.

"It is happening now, It has happened before, It will surely happen again."
Oldest member of SD.net, not most mature.
Brotherhood of the Monkey
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Any field of study which asserts that events are noticeably affected by stellar bodies thousands to millions of light years away debunks itself.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Crazy Goji
Padawan Learner

Post by Crazy Goji »

Montcalm wrote::shock: They wasted fifty years to prove that astrology is bullshit. :roll:
Really. We could have just told them that. :roll:
General Trelane (Retired)
Jedi Knight

Post by General Trelane (Retired) »

The best 'horrorscope' I ever read was in a ca. 1986 Getaway (farce on the U of Alberta SU paper Gateway), which had the following (among others):

Tarus: Virgo owes you money; time to collect.

Virgo: Avoid Tarus.

Laughed my ass off!

As for 50 years for this study, that wasn't wasted because for it to mean anything, they'd have to follow the subjects through the majority of their lives just to be sure they covered everything. But I agree that it won't persuade those who believe in Astrology (and are gullible enough to not only mould their lives on it but part with money).
Time makes more converts than reason. -- Thomas Paine, Common Sense, 1776
NapoleonGH
Jedi Master

Post by NapoleonGH »

that is CLASSIC
Festina Lente
My shoes are too tight and I've forgotten how to dance
haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Post by haas mark »

[ahem] Talk to an astrologist (such as myself), and the greater part of the time, you'll find that the ones that are non scammers also realize that things happen and astrology isn't the defining factor.

~ver
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005

Macross
Jedi Master

Post by Macross »

I dont take astrology seriously... I do read horoscopes from time to time, but for entertainment purposes only. But one year, on my birthday, I decided to read "If today is your birthday" column in the horoscopes, and its description of me was 100% accurate. But then again, the comments were rather general in nature and could probably be applied to anybody at one time in their life.

But then again, Im a Tarus, that means we are full of bull.
Iraq Weather Report: Sunni today, Shi’ite Tommorow

The Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Frankenstein...Wasting a minute of your time!
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Astrology is crap. All astrology. Mysticism, hell, in general, is crap.

I've seen too many things in my life that claim to be mystical in nature, and it's all turned out to be crap. This is experience talking, folks. I haven't met one person who claimed to be able to experience predictive or mystical or scary phenomena that I couldn't write up to a simple explanation, or at worst, common coincidence. Even the 'non-scammers' (or in other words, the terminally deluded).
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

I haven't met one person who claimed to be able to experience predictive or mystical or scary phenomena that I couldn't write up to a simple explanation, or at worst, common coincidence.
That's probably the best explanation of astrology I've seen yet.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

verilon wrote:[ahem] Talk to an astrologist (such as myself), and the greater part of the time, you'll find that the ones that are non scammers also realize that things happen and astrology isn't the defining factor.
In other words, you arbitrarily choose which events are determined by the stars and which ones aren't. What happens when your predictions are flat-out wrong? Does that event become one of the latter category?
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

verilon wrote:[ahem] Talk to an astrologist (such as myself), and the greater part of the time, you'll find that the ones that are non scammers also realize that things happen and astrology isn't the defining factor.

~ver

Astrology isn't a factor at all. perhaps the gravitational field fluctuations caused by various celestial bodies aligning has a physiological effect which makes us subconciously more susceptible to making certain choices which affect our future?
(That was my Trekkie explanation! You like that? Of course....I neglected to mention the temporal anomaly...)