[POLL] B&B or Wong?

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Who would Trekkies Trust Most With the Future of Trek?

B&B
10%
Mike Wong
90%

Total votes: 63

Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

[POLL] B&B or Wong?

Post by Lord Poe »

Who would Trekkies rather have in charge of the future of Star Trek:

Berman and Bragga, or Mike Wong?

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Tough choice, I'm not so much a trekkie but if I remember correctly, Wong liked TOS and would probably bring us back to stuff like that Goodness.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Lucius Licinius Lucullus
Redshirt

Post by Lucius Licinius Lucullus »

This is really a no-brainer, I mean even Tom Green would make better Star Trek then B&B :?
"There is no such thing as excessive violence."
-Gil the treacherous

"I´m to busy worrying about what I´ve done to think about what I´m doing."
-Axly
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

Lucius Licinius Lucullus wrote:This is really a no-brainer, I mean even Tom Green would make better Star Trek then B&B :?
A Trek serie produced by Tom Green,hmmm that will be the first non-PC Trek. :?
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

I vote for Darkstar. Then we can finally see the franchise with some decent weapons and defenses and such. I mean he will intentionally go for gigaton displays of fire power thus reinvigorating the debates.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Kerneth
Jedi Knight

Post by Kerneth »

Stravo wrote:I vote for Darkstar. Then we can finally see the franchise with some decent weapons and defenses and such. I mean he will intentionally go for gigaton displays of fire power thus reinvigorating the debates.
Ah, yes, I can see it now.

Captain Darkstar: "Tactical, fire on the enemy planet with our forward ventral phaser, single beam, set at one-half power. Sweep your fire along these coordinates."
Tactical: "Aye Captain, firing phaser!"
*planet is shown cut neatly in half by a single phaser fired on 1/2 power*
Captain Darkstar: "Excellent! Fire torpedos. One torpedo per half."
Tactical: "Torpedos away, Captain."
*torpedos fire, both halves of the planet are completely shattered*
Captain Darkstar: "Ah ha, take that you Warsie scum!"

On a more serious note, I don't think the vast majority of Trek fans have ever HEARD of Wong, so I doubt they'd necessarily be thrilled if he suddenly took over production of the show.
"The best part of losing your mind is not missing it."
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

Not knocking Mike at all here, and maybe I'm out of line pointing this out, but 95% of the people on the board have probably expressed their general dislike for B&B's work on Star Trek at some point or another, so isnt this topic running perilously close to a simple hero-worship thread?
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Lucius Licinius Lucullus wrote:This is really a no-brainer, I mean even Tom Green would make better Star Trek then B&B :?
Heck, even Kevin Lindenmuth or Ed Wood could make better Star Trek than B&B...

(In fact, I suppose that would be quite entertaining)
Last edited by Peregrin Toker on 2003-08-18 02:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

'Twould be funny to see a normal trekkie's reaction on finding Mike Wong's website to be "Crush the puny federation!"
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

I vote for Wong, who will get us that crossover weve been waiting for, and finally, depictions of horrible horrible Federation Casualties will delight audiences worldwide.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Mike Wong does write well, it's just that he strongly believes in the superiority of wars tech over trek tech and not without good reason. Given the intense hatred of B&B held by most, I think Trekkies would trust Wong, seeing as how it wouldn't be legal for him to bring in ISDs and Imperial superweapons into the trek world. :)
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Trogdor wrote:Mike Wong does write well, it's just that he strongly believes in the superiority of wars tech over trek tech and not without good reason. Given the intense hatred of B&B held by most, I think Trekkies would trust Wong, seeing as how it wouldn't be legal for him to bring in ISDs and Imperial superweapons into the trek world. :)
I think the mirror universe Terrans would soon open up a fresh can of whupass on the main universe Federation...
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

The_Lumberjack wrote:Not knocking Mike at all here, and maybe I'm out of line pointing this out, but 95% of the people on the board have probably expressed their general dislike for B&B's work on Star Trek at some point or another, so isnt this topic running perilously close to a simple hero-worship thread?
No, not at all.

This is an exercise in showing who would engender more trust with the future of Trek: Berman and Bragga who are currently in charge, or Mike Wong who, while a SW supporter, at least UNDERSTANDS why Trek was once a good show. The current bozos seem to have forgotten that with each consecutive year, until we have the pile of shit that is Enterprise.

Don't you find it scary that, in a blind poll, Mike is trashing the competition?

Why aren't Trekkies marching outside Paramount, demanding quality control over Trek? Why aren't these fans heckling B&B at conventions? How much more will they allow Trek to be raped?

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

I dont find the fact that Mike is winning scary. Partly because I think that if you put a poll up with the second option being a blind, mad badger armed with a spoon (no implication intended :mrgreen:), then it would still get votes, but mainly because I agree that someone who knows what Trek has lost and can put it right is exactly what we need. I also take your point about Trek fans being inactive on the subject, and allowing the newer viewers who never really saw the original stuff the same way that many of us have done to pledge blind support to Enterprise and Voyager etc.

Obviously we could substitute Mike's name for quite a few people on SD.net, or in general, and I appreciate that Mike is the most obvious figure on SD.net and so is logically the first choice for this sort of poll - it was just that occassionally we see a sort of unquestioning faith in him, like the 'me-tooing' stuff, that I think is a bad thing.

Not that I'm saying that this is such a thread, but I just wanted to raise the issue. Or something.

I hope I havent offended anyone in this, it certainly wasnt my intention. :(
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Natorgator
Jedi Knight

Post by Natorgator »

I think the mirror universe Terrans would soon open up a fresh can of whupass on the main universe Federation...
I want to see a new show based on HappyTarget's TE-verse. :D
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Lord Poe wrote:Why aren't Trekkies marching outside Paramount, demanding quality control over Trek? Why aren't these fans heckling B&B at conventions? How much more will they allow Trek to be raped?
Because Paramount's made it damn clear that they don't care. Even the most dedicated fan isn't going to fight forever to save it. And let's face it, it was the orginal Trek that gathered so much loyalty, TNG did well but it never generated the loyalty of TOS. With shows like DS9, VGR, and ENT there's not much left to believe in. The franchise is in the hands of a bunch of sorry bastards whose only interest is in how much money they can squeeze out of it and most fans are too tired of fighting to care anymore.
Slowhand
Redshirt
Location: Sitting atop Victor's rack. That's good vibrations!

Post by Slowhand »

Wong's impeccable logic would help to produce better viewing than anything B&B could ever dream of.

Personally, I think Stravo would be an excellent choice.
Once it was known as the Codeine Hippo, but so as not to influence a legion of teenage fans, it was renamed the Cosmic Hippo. Most often seen flying through the depths of space, to catch one is to be near the Flecktones themselves.

With my spear and magic helmet,

~Slowhand
paladin
Jedi Master

Post by paladin »

NecronLord wrote:'Twould be funny to see a normal trekkie's reaction on finding Mike Wong's website to be "Crush the puny federation!"
Normal Trekkie? Is that even possible?
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

I believe Wong would do an excellent job with Star Trek. No, he wouldn't make ST Tech uber, but he would take what they have and make it into something that makes sense. No more one tap warp cores, no more poor untrained security, no ridiculous sense of peace, ect.....
Milites Astrum Exterminans
Tribun
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tribun »

Absolutly Mike!

B&B lost every bit of credit. Do not trust them!
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

I don't think anyone should take over Star Trek. I think paramount should just pull the plug on the whole thing. Let Trek die with dignity.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Ignorant_Boy
Youngling

Post by Ignorant_Boy »

If Mike takes over the show, he'll no doubt take out the Treknobabble. Wouldn't that alienate 90% of the more... challenged Trekkies?
Ah... Candy...
*whack!*
Ah... Blood...
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Ignorant_Boy wrote:If Mike takes over the show, he'll no doubt take out the Treknobabble. Wouldn't that alienate 90% of the more... challenged Trekkies?
You'd think it would actually make the series much more approachable. That was another reason, in retrospect, while TOS was beyond anything afterwards. Shit would be happening, and all Scotty would say would be "She's gonna break loose!" or "She's falling apart!" Sometimes specific things like the dilithium crystals or emergency batteries would be mentioned, but you'd never get the crap like "Isoton power converter 3 coupling on the starboard warp core is heating up! I'll remodulate the recombinating transmogrifier inducer array to .005%!!!"

Why the hell the E-E never blew up in battle simply because it took so long to report damage is beyond me
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Come to think of it, Trek in Wong's hands would be very interesting, especially if he doesn't have to do ENT and is given a series after the Dominion War. I could see him making a revolution within the Federation to return it back to its non-communist, non-Prime Directive loving garbage TOS form so he could actually feel right about them being the good guys. That would be great. :P
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

Trogdor: Dont forget the buttsex loving miniskirt wearing yeoman that Mike would have roaming the ships :P
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.