25%
Ffifth comedy option
No votes

Total votes: 4

Hethrir
Jedi Master

MUSIC: Prefered Tuning Method

Post by Hethrir »

Which do you prefer? I like WT due it's more beautiful harmonies, and simply for the arrogance of liking all things Bach.

I like 'Just Tuning' second (contrasted against either of the others) for the simple fact of proving Pythagoras wrong.
Last edited by Hethrir on 2003-08-23 08:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slowhand
Redshirt
Location: Sitting atop Victor's rack. That's good vibrations!

Post by Slowhand »

I don't understand these tuning methods and I've been a guitarist for 17 years...
Once it was known as the Codeine Hippo, but so as not to influence a legion of teenage fans, it was renamed the Cosmic Hippo. Most often seen flying through the depths of space, to catch one is to be near the Flecktones themselves.

With my spear and magic helmet,

~Slowhand
jenat-lai
Jedi Knight

Post by jenat-lai »

Equal tempred sucks. Only pianos should go there.

In reality the major third and minor third should be closer

but then, being a trumpeter, such small things are of little concequence, Ipay the darn thing where it sounds in tune, Let the oboe and violins decide where that is. Trumpets may be the dominant instrument in sound, but we really do just follow.

Also, tuning is different depending on the music type, Modern music (or postmodern-neoromantic styles such as minimalism etc) are often very close to equal tempremant....

As long as it's not period pitch on period instruments (1650's or so) then it's ok (A438 or lower :roll: ) but normal pitch or modern pitch (A440 to A442+) is quite a nice sound which Im getting quite used to now days, about A442 is my favourite, quite a tight sound in the strings, and the brass instruments tend to be alot brighter at that pitch too.
Hethrir
Jedi Master

Post by Hethrir »

Slowhand wrote:I don't understand these tuning methods and I've been a guitarist for 17 years...
Ever tuned your guitar by ear up the strings, but found the octave out when you reached the other end? This is a classic example of temperment, nobody really knows where to put the intervals between the octave.
But it was a mere coincidence that the musical interval for a pure fifth happened to be very near from that for a fifth of 12 tone equal temperament. And this coincidence made Pythagoras think that this pure fifth relationship was the foundation of the tonal system
Thanks mate :roll:

We used to have what was called 'Just Tuning' which was tuning the major notes in a scale (pun not intended) by ear perfectly and having the other 'black' notes avioded for their detestable sound (hence the black and white notes on a piano).

Then someone came up with the briliant idea of equally dividing the notes up into 12 for the octave and getting a good sound out of an instrument, but not getting all the intervals perfect (used today). This makes every key sound the same and some intervals not quite right. This is called Even Temperment.

Bach came up with the idea of not equally dividing the notes up, and having a set relationship between them. This meant that all keys had a flavour, but all intervals were the same. This is called Well Temperment.

So simply put, all the notes just don't fit into the octave while all achieving perfect relationship with each other. Many people have come up with solutions and it's a matter of preference which one you like.

Personally, i detest ET on a guitar. The notes have such a bland sound and it makes it so much harder to ring beautiful harmonies without beating. If you have a 12 string guitar, slightly mistune it (without going too far) and it will sound much nicer.
Saurencaerthai
Jedi Master

Post by Saurencaerthai »

I generally just tune my set in either minor thirds or perfect fourths.
Music can name the un-nameable and communicate with the unknowable.
-Leonard Bernstein
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

I don't have much choice...I'm a mallet player, so A=440 and I'll like it! :D

Although there are some rather freaky chords you can get from ET...if I had a keyboard with me, I could tell you what they are, but I can't envision hand position that well.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Drewcifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Drewcifer »

Hethrir wrote:Ever tuned your guitar by ear up the strings, but found the octave out when you reached the other end? This is a classic example of temperment, nobody really knows where to put the intervals between the octave.
On my acoustic yes, but not on my electric. Sometimes if the intonation gets out of whack -- and all my guitars seem to go out of whack in the same way -- I have to tune the low E and the G a little flat to compensate until I can get my hands on a strobe tuner to set it correctly again.

Regarding your poll, I have no idea...I just tune my guitar and play...I'm one of those annoying rock and roll fuckers 8)
Image Original Warsie ++ Smartass! ~ Picker ~ Grinner ~ Lover ~ Sinner ++ "There's no time for later now"
aphexmonster
Jedi Council Member

Post by aphexmonster »

Drewcifer wrote:
Hethrir wrote:Ever tuned your guitar by ear up the strings, but found the octave out when you reached the other end? This is a classic example of temperment, nobody really knows where to put the intervals between the octave.
On my acoustic yes, but not on my electric. Sometimes if the intonation gets out of whack -- and all my guitars seem to go out of whack in the same way -- I have to tune the low E and the G a little flat to compensate until I can get my hands on a strobe tuner to set it correctly again.

Regarding your poll, I have no idea...I just tune my guitar and play...I'm one of those annoying rock and roll fuckers 8)
:::watches as he immediately starts playing stairway to heaven::::
-monster
my sig is totaly lonely now =(
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

tuned down a half-step to help cover my ghastly vocals :wink:
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Drewcifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Drewcifer »

aphexmonster wrote:
Drewcifer wrote:...I'm one of those annoying rock and roll fuckers 8)
:::watches as he immediately starts playing stairway to heaven::::
haha probably not. I know most of the rock standards, including Stairway to Freebird :wink:, but I'm mostly a roots rock player, more like Jay Farrar or Matthew Sweet than Jimmy Page. It depends on what I'm playing or writing, but there's usually a lot of twang in my thang.
Image Original Warsie ++ Smartass! ~ Picker ~ Grinner ~ Lover ~ Sinner ++ "There's no time for later now"