No votes
Other (Specify)
25%

Total votes: 8

Hethrir
Jedi Master

MUSIC: Guitar tuning

Post by Hethrir »

While i'm in a roll with music polls....Which method of tuning your guitar do you use and why? I have two guitars; one in E, one in D. I play all metal on the D guitar and other stuff on the E guitar. The D guitar is otherwise useful because i can play a song in closed F using open G and a few other keys can be likewise transposed to easier formations.

I find drop D an abonination unless you are EVH or equivelant.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

....I use an electric one...
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Luke Starkiller
Jedi Knight

Post by Luke Starkiller »

I generally keep mine in Standard E, dropping to D occasionally for specific songs(a real bitch with a lock-nut).
What kind of dark wizard in league with nameless forces of primordial evil ARE you that you can't even make a successful sanity check versus BOREDOM? - Red Mage
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

E for my acoustic and me.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Drewcifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Drewcifer »

Typically Standard E. Sometimes I'll throw in your favorite Hethrir, drop d, because I like the fatter tone the one finger barre gives power chords, and I can bend entire chords for nice slide-like sounds. I also like open D for some acoustic things.

I used to try all sorts of tunings though, sometimes tuning my guitar somewhat randomly (but each string still in tune) as an exercise to break songwriter's block, limber up my fingers, try new things etc. I've also messed around with various open tunings for fun, like EBEBBE, or all E, and other assorted oddities.
Image Original Warsie ++ Smartass! ~ Picker ~ Grinner ~ Lover ~ Sinner ++ "There's no time for later now"
Flash
Padawan Learner

Post by Flash »

I keep both mine in E.
aphexmonster
Jedi Council Member

Post by aphexmonster »

i play mine in drop C ... and drop C# .... its good for deftones and sepultura and stuff along the likes of the drop D but in a lower Key .... because using a 7 string just suck dittily ucks
-monster
my sig is totaly lonely now =(
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

My acoustic is on Standard E, well, it's suppose to be but it's sadly out of tune right now. I've played my guitar like twice this summer and that's it. :(
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
aronkerkhof
Padawan Learner

Post by aronkerkhof »

I use standard E, but its easy enough to go into drop D when the song calls for it.
Slowhand
Redshirt
Location: Sitting atop Victor's rack. That's good vibrations!

Post by Slowhand »

It really depends on what I want to play.

I usually play rock and various metal on my electric guitar so it stays tuned in standard @ 440.

My steel string acoustic is almost soley reserved for camp fire duties these days to it also remains in standard although hardly ever at 440.

My classical nylon string guitar, which is by the far the one I use most, is tuned to the moment. At this moment it is standard tuned but the 6th is dropped way down to B. This guitar also spends quite a lot of time in dropped D and open D5. I also tune it to fit any particular song I'm trying to learn, but lately, I get no satisfaction from learning someone else's songs, so I make my own. :) I usually play 2+ hours a day.
Once it was known as the Codeine Hippo, but so as not to influence a legion of teenage fans, it was renamed the Cosmic Hippo. Most often seen flying through the depths of space, to catch one is to be near the Flecktones themselves.

With my spear and magic helmet,

~Slowhand