RIAA Files 261 lawsuits against individual file sharers

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

RIAA Files 261 lawsuits against individual file sharers

Post by Stravo »

On the breaking news ticker on CNN.com. They also announced an amnesty plan simultaenously.
261 music file swappers sued; amnesty program unveiled
By Jeordan Legon
CNN
Monday, September 8, 2003 Posted: 1:33 PM EDT (1733 GMT)

(CNN) -- The recording industry filed 261 lawsuits against individual Internet music file sharers Monday and announced an amnesty program for people who admit they illegally share music files across the Internet.

The federal lawsuits and amnesty program are the lastest moves by the Recording Industry Association of America in its fight against illegal trading of music files on the Internet, which record companies blame for declining sales.

Cary Sherman, president of the RIAA, said the civil lawsuits filed were against "major offenders" who made available an average of 1,000 copyrighted song files.

Sherman also announced the Clean Slate Program that grants amnesty to users who voluntarily identify themselves and promise not to share music on the Internet. The RIAA says it will not sue users who sign and have notarized a Clean Slate Program affidavit.

"We're willing to hold out our version of an olive branch," Sherman said.

The offer of amnesty will not apply to about 1,600 people targeted by copyright subpoenas from the RIAA. More information about RIAA's amnesty program is available at www.musicunited.org.
The story just went on the site.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

The RIAA says it will not sue users who sign and have notarized a Clean Slate Program affidavit.
yeaaaaaaah. sure they won't. :roll:
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Upshot Knothole
Redshirt

Post by Upshot Knothole »

I applaud this move. I find it absurd that people demonize the RIAA for taking steps to stop thieves when nobody else will. I suppose we should hate Wal Mart for prosecuting shoplifters. :roll:
"I have never seen. . .so slippery, so disgusting a candidate." -Nat Hentoff on Bill Clinton
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Exactly why are we supposed to feel sorry for a price fixing cartel like the RIAA? It might be theft but I don't feel sorry for them. Their own business practices have brought them to this.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

261? I quiver with fear/laughter.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

Upshot Knothole wrote:I applaud this move. I find it absurd that people demonize the RIAA for taking steps to stop thieves when nobody else will. I suppose we should hate Wal Mart for prosecuting shoplifters. :roll:
Hey wanker, maybe you should blame the corporations' poor performance in the "free" market, which I'm sure you wank over while not obsessing about Clinton's cock.
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Upshot Knothole wrote:I applaud this move. I find it absurd that people demonize the RIAA for taking steps to stop thieves when nobody else will. I suppose we should hate Wal Mart for prosecuting shoplifters. :roll:
Thing is, Wal Mart then no longer has the item....
This is "virtual" theft in that nothing real changes hands, just a string of 1's and 0's that represent something....
All that happens is a price fixing cartel no longer gets money.
What pray tell does the RIAA actually do?
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

We don't hate Wal-Mart for prosecuting shoplifters because Wal-Mart doesn't have a monopoly which it exploits to fix outrageous prices. The RIAA is getting it's comeuppance for a decade of charging $20 a CD. Not only that, but 90% of the product that they've been churning out has been unworthy of even a $10 price tag.

This laughable initiative of theirs is going to do jack shit in terms of permanent damage to P2P exchange over the internet and is merely a callous and futile attempt to frighten users by ruining the lives of whatever miniscule number of offenders they can lay hands on.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Keevan_Colton wrote:Thing is, Wal Mart then no longer has the item....
This is "virtual" theft in that nothing real changes hands, just a string of 1's and 0's that represent something....
All that happens is a price fixing cartel no longer gets money.
What pray tell does the RIAA actually do?
Hrm... the short list:
Illegal Price Fixing
Bribery of Public Officials
Strong-arm Enforcement of Copyright Laws
Helps to stifle innovation in the Music industry
--The Lord Humungus
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

You sir, are a moron. The RIAA is using illegal search activities to hunt down people who are legaly distributing copy righted material WITHOUT MAKING MONEY. It was the RIAA who intentionaly pushed laws to be created to maintain a monopoly over intelectual property to deny it to the public domain just so they could keep raking in the profits. The RIAA lost the morale high ground back in the early 80s.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
zombie84
Jedi Knight

Post by zombie84 »

no laws have been broken. Filesharing of music is perfectly legal, these people are all innocent. The RIAA is persecuting innocents in a vain attempt to grab the last bit of money before their industry stronghold collapses.
I'll swallow your soul!
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Honestly it seems so common sense to me yet no one has spoken out against ther RIAA that has any power or influence. Surely the RIAA can't be that influential and powerful that someone can point out the glaring flaws and overall intent of these mean spirited acts.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

zombie84 wrote:no laws have been broken. Filesharing of music is perfectly legal, these people are all innocent. The RIAA is persecuting innocents in a vain attempt to grab the last bit of money before their industry stronghold collapses.
Filesharing is legal. But swapping copyrighted music isn't. I agree the RIAA's actions are unjust. That doesn't mean that pirating is legal. It's not.
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

That was the wrong thing to say here, n00b.
Xenophobe3691
Sith Marauder

Post by Xenophobe3691 »

Well, see, here's the thing. Information can be multiplied almost indefinitely, with no corresponding loss of information elsewhere. A shirt can't. Please tell me where I can copy/paste a t-shirt, I'll pay you a million bucks, cuz that's what I'm gonna be saving that much in shirt costs...
Dark Heresy: Dance Macabre - Imperial Psyker Magnus Arterra

BoTM
Proud Decepticon

Post 666 Made on Fri Jul 04, 2003 @ 12:48 pm
Post 1337 made on Fri Aug 22, 2003 @ 9:18 am
Post 1492 Made on Fri Aug 29, 2003 @ 5:16 pm

Hail Xeno: Lord of Calculus -- Ace Pace
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Stormbringer wrote:
zombie84 wrote:no laws have been broken. Filesharing of music is perfectly legal, these people are all innocent. The RIAA is persecuting innocents in a vain attempt to grab the last bit of money before their industry stronghold collapses.
Filesharing is legal. But swapping copyrighted music isn't. I agree the RIAA's actions are unjust. That doesn't mean that pirating is legal. It's not.
But digital copying/sharing music is completely legal. It's called the Home Recording Act, of 1992.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
zombie84
Jedi Knight

Post by zombie84 »

what Nitram said. Th RIAA gets a royalty off of every blank CD i've bought. Thats their compensation. they made the law themselves back in the early 90's, and it was an unjust law we all said, and now its come back to bite them in the ass!
I'll swallow your soul!
Xenophobe3691
Sith Marauder

Post by Xenophobe3691 »

zombie84 wrote:what Nitram said. Th RIAA gets a royalty off of every blank CD i've bought. Thats their compensation. they made the law themselves back in the early 90's, and it was an unjust law we all said, and now its come back to bite them in the ass!
The RIAA gets kickback from blank CD's too?!?
Dark Heresy: Dance Macabre - Imperial Psyker Magnus Arterra

BoTM
Proud Decepticon

Post 666 Made on Fri Jul 04, 2003 @ 12:48 pm
Post 1337 made on Fri Aug 22, 2003 @ 9:18 am
Post 1492 Made on Fri Aug 29, 2003 @ 5:16 pm

Hail Xeno: Lord of Calculus -- Ace Pace
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Vorlon1701 wrote:
zombie84 wrote:what Nitram said. Th RIAA gets a royalty off of every blank CD i've bought. Thats their compensation. they made the law themselves back in the early 90's, and it was an unjust law we all said, and now its come back to bite them in the ass!
Depends on where you live. 1/3 of the cost Cadanians pay for CDRs goes straight to the RIAA.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Vorlon1701 wrote:
I believe so.

Under Title 17, Chapter 10, I think Subchapter C.

There was a post about the Home Recording Act at slashdot that talked about it.

"Contrary to what the RIAA wants you to believe, it appears that making a copy of an audio recording may be perfectly legal in the US, even if you don't own the original recording, as long as it is for noncommercial purposes. The reason for this is the Audio Home Recording Act (AHRA).

Since 1992, the U.S. Government has collected a tax on all digital audio recorders and blank digital audio media manufactured in or imported into the US, and gives the money directly to the RIAA companies, which is distributed as royalties to recording artists, copyright owners, music publishers, and music writers:

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/ch10.html
[cornell.edu]"
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

My god, the RIAA is sueing people that swap over a 1000 songs!

Note to self: I only have 200 (and that's counting my commerically purchased CD and tape collection)

MOON THEM! MOON THEM I SAY!

(Not, not me. Rosie O'donnel and Roseanne)

Now that I've blinded everyone and scared them horribly for life...

There is a way to counter attack them ya know.

SOmeone needs to organize a MASSIVE class action suit against them on behalf of all internet users for there actions that are illegal. and I mean MASSIVE. Like Mothers Against Drunk Driving is little in comparison.

Anyone with a law degree got the guts to try it?
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Ok, so that's what, 261 cases filed, 29,999,700 to go? :wink:
By His Word...
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Darth Utsanomiko wrote:Ok, so that's what, 261 cases filed, 29,999,700 to go? :wink:
More than that :D
--The Lord Humungus
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

That blank CD royalty bit disgusts me.

Oh, post 5000.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

I can half-imagine the head of the RIAA going into a restroom and pleading with an old, blind man to release Ill Duce.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.