RIAA Files 261 lawsuits against individual file sharers

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Howedar wrote:That blank CD royalty bit disgusts me.

Oh, post 5000.
I wouldn't be bothered by it, if they honestly accepted it as compensation for home recording and non-commercial sharing, like the law says.

The fact that they're taking our money from blank CDs but still calling us theives for 'not paying' for shared music is just plain dirty and two-faced.
By His Word...
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

HemlockGrey wrote:I can half-imagine the head of the RIAA going into a restroom and pleading with an old, blind man to release Ill Duce.
Actually, it would be the head of the RIAA that would be the target of the Saints.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Damaramu
Jedi Master

Post by Damaramu »

For those who haven't seen this by now, I post it again:
Damaramu:According to this comment made on the Slashdot website, it sounds like the RIAA doesn't have a leg to stand on:

Quote:
Contrary to what the RIAA wants you to believe, it appears that making a copy of an audio recording may be perfectly legal in the US, even if you don't own the original recording, as long as it is for noncommercial purposes. The reason for this is the Audio Home Recording Act (AHRA).

Since 1992, the U.S. Government has collected a tax on all digital audio recorders and blank digital audio media manufactured in or imported into the US, and gives the money directly to the RIAA companies, which is distributed as royalties to recording artists, copyright owners, music publishers, and music writers:

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/ch10.html
[cornell.edu]

In exchange for those royalties, a special exemption to the copyright law was made for the specific case of audio recordings, and as a result *ALL* noncommercial copying of musical recordings by consumers is now legal in the US, regardless of media:

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/1008.html
[cornell.edu]

"No action may be brought under this title alleging infringement of copyright based on the manufacture, importation, or distribution of a digital audio recording device, a digital audio recording medium, an analog recording device, or an analog recording medium, or based on the noncommercial use by a consumer of such a device or medium for making digital musical recordings or analog musical recordings."

The intent of Congress was clear when this law was passed

http://www.cni.org/Hforums/cni-copyrigh ... /0018.html
[cni.org]

From House Report No. 102-873(I), September 17, 1992:

"In the case of home taping, the [Section 1008] exemption protects all noncommercial copying by consumers of digital and analog musical recordings."

From House Report No. 102-780(I), August 4, 1992:

"In short, the reported legislation [Section 1008] would clearly establish that consumers cannot be sued for making analog or digital audio copies for private noncommercial use."

Therefore, when you copy an MP3 the royalties have already been paid for with tax dollars in accordance with the law. If you are a musician whose recordings are publicly distributed, then you are entitled to your share of these royalties by filing a claim under Section 1006

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/1006.html
[cornell.edu]

Napster tried to use this law to defend their case, and the court ruled this law did not apply to them because they are a commercial company. But as a consumer it seems to me you are perfectly within your rights when you make a copy for noncommercial private use.
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

RIAA does shit like this and perfectly good nuts waste their lives bombing abortion clinics.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Darth Utsanomiko wrote:
Howedar wrote:That blank CD royalty bit disgusts me.

Oh, post 5000.
I wouldn't be bothered by it, if they honestly accepted it as compensation for home recording and non-commercial sharing, like the law says.

The fact that they're taking our money from blank CDs but still calling us theives for 'not paying' for shared music is just plain dirty and two-faced.
Indeed: If the RIAA collected the tax and didn't bitch, I doubt anyone would give a damn. After all, the blank CD's are, at least partially, going to music, and it gives the artists money(Don't believe me? Published artists are encouraged to contact the government if they aren't getting their part of this kickback).

Unfortunately, since the RIAA is still attempting to coerce people into settling, they're committing Extortion.

'That's a nice music collection there. It'd be a shame if something happened to it.'
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Bug-Eyed Earl
Jedi Master

Post by Bug-Eyed Earl »

I could send each member of AFI a $5 check and download all of their songs. They would get a hell of a lot more money from me that way, and as far as I'm concerned, they deserve it a lot more than the RIAA.

And God knows they don't promote decent bands.
BotM Cybertronian
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Seems this is creating quite the shitstorm around now.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/3092714.stm

It's good to see the public wise-up on these arseholes and their evil deeds.
Ryoga
Jedi Knight

Post by Ryoga »

Hey, you guys hear this?

Stupid Fucks.

Apparently one of the 261 victims is a twelve year old girl. Wow, way to go fucktards, give people something to rally around. :roll:

However, this is a girl who goes to a private school and whose mother appears to own her own corporation, and it appears like she's bound and determined to fight this out. Way to go! :lol:
Macross
Jedi Master

Post by Macross »

Ryoga wrote:Hey, you guys hear this?

Stupid Fucks.

Apparently one of the 261 victims is a twelve year old girl. Wow, way to go fucktards, give people something to rally around. :roll:

However, this is a girl who goes to a private school and whose mother appears to own her own corporation, and it appears like she's bound and determined to fight this out. Way to go! :lol:
That is just disgusting...

I hope the mother fights and wins, enough is enough!
Iraq Weather Report: Sunni today, Shi’ite Tommorow

The Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Frankenstein...Wasting a minute of your time!
Xenophobe3691
Sith Marauder

Post by Xenophobe3691 »

Ryoga wrote:Hey, you guys hear this?

Stupid Fucks.

Holy shit, we should all write her letters of sympathy and confederation, as well as some advice on the AHRA and it's crippling of the DMCA...
Dark Heresy: Dance Macabre - Imperial Psyker Magnus Arterra

BoTM
Proud Decepticon

Post 666 Made on Fri Jul 04, 2003 @ 12:48 pm
Post 1337 made on Fri Aug 22, 2003 @ 9:18 am
Post 1492 Made on Fri Aug 29, 2003 @ 5:16 pm

Hail Xeno: Lord of Calculus -- Ace Pace
Shadow WarChief
Rabid Monkey

Post by Shadow WarChief »

Damaramu wrote:For those who haven't seen this by now, I post it again:

<snip legal justification of file sharing>
I've got a question about that Dam, I argued the same point against someone on another board and he pointed out to me that the relevent section of code that's quoted only protects distrubition of (in addition to analog), digital audio recording medium and a digital audio recording device – not the distrubition of digital audio copied recordings.

doesn't this kina put a hole in the whole argument?