I've just returned home from seeing it. Wow. :shock:

More to come in a little while. :D

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
The Cleric
BANNED

Post by The Cleric »

Me too, and 4 of my friends. I love QT.
{} Thrawn wins. Any questions? {} Great Dolphin Conspiracy {} Proud member of the defunct SEGNOR {} Enjoy the rythmic hip thrusts {} In my past life I was either Vlad the Impaler or Katsushika Hokusai {}
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Ok, that was definitely the best movie of the year. Truly a magnificent work. Just one warning: this movie has blood. LOTS AND LOTS OF BLOOD. FOUNTAINS OF BLOOD. If you don't like fake blood, don't see this movie.

Now, on to the review. As you all know, Uma Thurman's character, (whose real name we don't know because QT bleeps it over) was attacked on her wedding day in the chapel. They kill her fiance (husband?), and as we assume, her daughter (at the end of the movie, Bill says that she's alive). Four years later, the Bride (Uma Thurman) wakes up, kills the guy (medical assistant?) who's been pimping her comatose body for all those years ("My name is Buck and I'm here to fuck"-yes, that's a line from the movie). Then, she takes his truck(the "Pussy Wagon" :shock: ) and goes off. But before that, as she is lying on the back seat of his truck, trying to regain control of her legs, we see the lfe story of O-Ren Ishii (Lucy Liu), told in anime (anime lovers, rejoice!) While I'm no expert on anime, I liked it.

Then, of course, she kills two of the atrakcrs (Lucy Liu and Vivica A. Fox), in a dazzling array of martial arts. And, of course, since this is Tarrantino, the second movie takes place earlier than the first.

While I'm going to spend most of the time on the first murder (the one you see in the trailer), the second one was awesome. Basically, she breaks into Vernita Green's (Vivica A Fox) house, and they trash the living room fighting. Then, however, her four year old daughter comes home, and they delay the fight, since the Bride doesn't want to kill her enemy in front of her daughter. They go into the kitchen, and as she i preparing cereal for her daughter, Green tries to shoot the Bride, and Thurman kills her. Then, however, we see her daughter standing in the doorway, seeing the whole thing. As she leaves, the bride says: "When you grow up, if you still feel bad about this thing, then I'll be waiting" :shock:

Ok, the second murder is what is what most of the movie is about. It's hard to describe, you have to see it, but basically, it involves fights between the Bride vs 17 yr old Japanese schoolgirl ( :shock: :twisted: ), the Bride vs. the crazy 88 (that's the scene you see in the trailer), by the end of which, the floor of the nightclub is covered in bodies, and of course the Bride vs. O-Ren Ishii. Great stuff.

Now, there is also a scene where this Okinawan guy makes her a sword. While I know that the actor who plays this guy is some kind of martial arts movie legend, I don't know anything about it.

Anyways, this was a great movie, and I truly think this is the est movie of the year.
***** (that's out of 5, in case you don't know).

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

I've got a shot at seeing it either at a local, decent theater, a further away better theater, or the King of Prussia IMAX, which would kick ass. Only problem is, the difficulty of getting into the movie increases expotentially the better the theater is...
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

THAT MOVIE KICKED FUCKING ASS!!!!!!!!!!!

And that's all I have to say about that.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:THAT MOVIE KICKED FUCKING ASS!!!!!!!!!!!

And that's all I have to say about that.
Didn't it....ah the carnage.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Holy shit, that movie fucking rocked!

And Kudos to IG, the anime sequence is certainly going to be legendary. I loved how the whole thing was basically a homage to anime violence...blood spraying everywhere, bullets blowing limbs clean off...great stuff, man, great stuff.

Also, anyone catch the Emily Dickinson reference? With the buzzing fly.

And the soundtrack....damn, that was some exhilirating shit.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Did anyone find the Klingon Proverb side-splittingly funny? I almost blew Coke out of my nose when I saw that.

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Durran Korr wrote:Did anyone find the Klingon Proverb side-splittingly funny? I almost blew Coke out of my nose when I saw that.
And Sofie looked "like a villain from Star Trek" :D

I don't think I've ever seen quite as many limbs being chopped off.

Gutts, meet your match :D
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

I don't think I've ever seen quite as many limbs being chopped off.

Gutts, meet your match
LOL, I was thinking the exact same thing.

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Grumbles, stuck in yosemite with car in shop.....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

Durran Korr wrote:Did anyone find the Klingon Proverb side-splittingly funny? I almost blew Coke out of my nose when I saw that.
Fuck, that had to be the funniest damn thing I've ever seen. I love how they put the quote on first, then right as you think "hey, that was Khan!" you get the Klingon Proverb bit. Brilliant.

I'll say that QT seems to have finally perfected the art of moviemaking. I thought what he did with action and music in Pulp Fiction was impressive but this movie totally blew that away. The dialogue wasn't quite as impressive but the film just oozed style which made it the best kung fu movie ever made IMO.

The only complaint I have is that there was really no reason to split this up into two seperate movies. This is milking the cash cow, 100% and I would have liked to see the whole thing intact.

Btw, what was everyone's favorite kill? For me it had to be the spiked board across the head of that little schoolgirl bodyguard. Classy.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Man, the whole movie was so awesome...

The opening, all in black and white... and then that GUNSHOT. Damn! Everyone in the theater jumped.

The anime sequence was especially awesome. It went on for longer than I had anticipated, but it produced one of the best cinematic scenes from the movie: the camera not only showing the path of the bullet, but actually ENTERING the target's head with the bullet, and stopping in it so you see the girl's reactions framed by the back of his head.

I can't just pick my favorite parts like that *snaps fingers*, it was all so amazing... god damn, I am so going to see it again.

(Oh, and all that subtitled stuff was especially a treat for someone like me, who knows a fair amount of Japanese. I could understand quite a bit of what they were saying, and that made it all the cooler.)
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

WTF? This movie was so BORRRRING. Bla bla bla, chop off an arm, plot we don't care about, ooh some more blood.

Just kidding. Haven't seen it. :wink:
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Fuck, my parents have some grudge against Tarantino movies and now there's no fucking way I can see it.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

KILL BILL IS SEX.

I was thoroughly entertained throughout its entirety, including the little anime interlude of O-ren's childhood. And holy shit, that fight in the nightclub lived up to the hype. :D
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

FUCK! Arg! I'm gonna have to get some low-quality download off Kazaa or something...I must see this movie!
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Alferd Packer wrote:KILL BILL IS SEX.

I was thoroughly entertained throughout its entirety, including the little anime interlude of O-ren's childhood. And holy shit, that fight in the nightclub lived up to the hype. :D
And have you actually had sex to be able to compare the two? :D
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

One of my fave parts has to be Lucy Liu/O-Ren's speech to the bosses.

And the Old Klingon Proverb was just so appropriate...and then there's the last line in the film.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

neoolong wrote:And have you actually had sex to be able to compare the two? :D
A few hundred times over the last couple years, yes, but that's not the point. The point is that this movie is insanely entertaining, wildly provacative, and makes you want to have a smoke afterward. ;)

Plus, it's the first movie that I've seen in a long time that I actually want to see again in theaters. It's just that damn good.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

This movie is SO FUCKING GREAT!
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

My assessment, just back from the theatre: Kill Bill is some of Quentin Tarantino's best work.

Make of that what you will.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

AGH

-head explodes-
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Just got back from seeing, I loved it, want to see Part 2.

loved the 'old Klingon proverb'

'villian from Star Trek'

'You look like Charlie Brown'

Lucy Liu's speech after she decapitates and

the speech of the swordmaker and his humor in the restaurant.

What was it that THe Bride said to the kid she spanked?

Why did they bleep her name?

WHY DOES THIS MOVIE ROCK SO MUCH?
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

When she spanked the kid she was saying "THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR PLAYING AROUND WITH THE YAKUZA'S!" or something to that effect.