Kill Bill (possbile spoilers)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Illuminatus Primus wrote:
Admiral Valdemar wrote:I also noted Bill used a Colt Single Action Army revolver, the greatest handgun ever made and the one that won the west. :mrgreen: Maybe he'll be like Revolver Ocelot from Metal Gear Solid...
That was a Colt Single Action Army? Holy fuck how could you survive being shot in the head with one of those?
From what I can tell, it just grazed her skull and must've only looked like a hit, but it certainly seemed like a Colt SAA likely one of the late 1800 models in .45 calibre. Had it hit her at that range, she wouldn't have a head for that metal plate to be put in.

As Shalashaska said: "This is the greatest handgun ever made; the Colt Single Action Army. Six bullets, more than enough to kill anything that moves."

I just hope Bill has a bit of a gunsling before getting down to using his katana, the rival to The Bride's sword, like Ying and Yang I guess. I can see that as another tip of the hat towards Leone.

I expect Mr. Blonde to be more of a gunman than a blade guy too, I can't imagine Sidewinder going kung-fu on The Bride.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Yeah, it appears the Japanese underworld is lagging a few decades behind the Mafia when it comes to their choice of weaponry.

Still, while fully automatic weapons may be cool, katanas are cooler.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
aphexmonster
Jedi Council Member

Post by aphexmonster »

Im obsessed with Chiaki Kuriami ( Chisuga from Battle royale )

thats all i have to say about that =D
-monster
my sig is totaly lonely now =(
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

No matter how violent and sick she can be, no red blooded male can lay their eyes on her and not feel a little bit of love.

I'd have to be packing a serious firearm if she asked me out on a date though, y'know, just to avoid the penetration thing. I always carry protection as does she. :P
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

I'd be willing to bet the actress is an absolute sweetheart in real life.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Durran Korr wrote:I'd be willing to bet the actress is an absolute sweetheart in real life.
She always has that look on her face onscreen. What're ya betting she hates anyone and everyone and was only just stopped from a real Battle Royale spree by a large salary?
aphexmonster
Jedi Council Member

Post by aphexmonster »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:Next the bride kills Neo after finishing off bill

I just want them to package it as One DVD box.

You can buy kill bill vol 1 and 2, or you can buy them seperately, they each have stuff that the others dont have, so QT is screwing us with our obsession with him ^_~ .... unless you dont care about extra features of course. ...
-monster
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

I'll buy them separately. I don't consider myself a completist (I've only felt the need to own one edition of each LoTR film).

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Durran Korr wrote:I'll buy them separately. I don't consider myself a completist (I've only felt the need to own one edition of each LoTR film).
Ditto. The special edition will do me.
aphexmonster
Jedi Council Member

Post by aphexmonster »

:::::DrooooLlll:::: Must have go go yubari :shock:
-monster
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Tarantino said the reason he was coming out with multiple sets with different special features for each was because he 'likes collecting things'. I think what he was really trying to say is that he 'likes money'.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

HemlockGrey wrote:Tarantino said the reason he was coming out with multiple sets with different special features for each was because he 'likes collecting things'. I think what he was really trying to say is that he 'likes money'.
Little from column a, little from column b. Though his Reservoir Dogs special editions pissed me off...if he really liked collecting things, he would have made each of the different colors have different special features...so that you'd want to collect them all. But as it is, they're all the same DVD, each with a different color cardboard sleeve around them. Trust me, I have all five.
And you may ask yourself, 'Where does that highway go to?'

Brotherhood of the Monkey - First Monkey|Justice League - Daredevil|Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Eisenhower Mug Knight (13 Conan Pts.)|SD.Net Chroniclers|HAB
aphexmonster
Jedi Council Member

Post by aphexmonster »

Well i hope for one that there is a Go Go Yubari sleve for kill bill! :wink:
-monster
Death from the Sea
Sith Devotee

Post by Death from the Sea »

Ok, I saw Kill Bill again and went with a few different buddies this time and I have to say I am still annoyed by the anime sequence. My other friends were in complete agreement that it could have been replaced with a shorter live action version or just completely removed all together. It was an uneccesary 10 or 15 minutes that just wasn't needed plus it is bits like that, which made the movie so long it had to be a two parter and that really irks me still too.
Cut the anime and it would easily be in the top 5 movies of the year, but as is, I rank it barely in the top twenty.(yes the anime and two parter bit really put me off that much)
"War.... it's faaaaaantastic!" <--- Hot Shots:Part Duex
"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't care how fucking crazy they are!"~ Seth from Dusk Till Dawn
|BotM|Justice League's Lethal Protector
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Death from the Sea wrote:Ok, I saw Kill Bill again and went with a few different buddies this time and I have to say I am still annoyed by the anime sequence. My other friends were in complete agreement that it could have been replaced with a shorter live action version or just completely removed all together. It was an uneccesary 10 or 15 minutes that just wasn't needed plus it is bits like that, which made the movie so long it had to be a two parter and that really irks me still too.
Cut the anime and it would easily be in the top 5 movies of the year, but as is, I rank it barely in the top twenty.(yes the anime and two parter bit really put me off that much)
Okay, three reasons why the less than 10 minute animated sequence was used.

1. There's no way a paedophile scene could have been filmed without the director being crucified. And the gore alone and violence would not suit a real child either.

2. O-Ren Ishii's past is such that this style suits her brief life story. It wouldn't look right in live action.

3. Tarantino is respecting Japanese martial arts and culture. Guess what? Animé is a part of said culture. Deal with it.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

There's also the fact that the Bride wasn't there when it happened, and it was a story told by her. So live action wouldn't make much sense. Anime is a bit more abstract.

aphexmonster
Jedi Council Member

Post by aphexmonster »

Im just angry Go Go didn't get a bigger flashback ...
-monster
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

Did anyone see the entertainment news apparently The Texas Chainsaw Massacre kicked Kill Bill to second place this week-end. :?
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
Demiurge
Rabid Monkey

Post by Demiurge »

I would have preferred Tarantino play Bill. That would have been awesome and hilarious at the same time.
delicious pies
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I really have to watch that movie....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
The Prime Necromancer
Jedi Knight

Post by The Prime Necromancer »

Ok, I saw Kill Bill again and went with a few different buddies this time and I have to say I am still annoyed by the anime sequence. My other friends were in complete agreement that it could have been replaced with a shorter live action version or just completely removed all together. It was an uneccesary 10 or 15 minutes that just wasn't needed plus it is bits like that, which made the movie so long it had to be a two parter and that really irks me still too.
Compared to the "Zion rave" scene in Reloaded, the anime scene absolutely flew by. It was many, many time more interesting and entertaining for me. Of course, I like anime and animation in general. Apparently you dislike it so much that it really hurts the movie for you. That's kind of a shame.

I also enjoyed the backstory, as it made me feel a certain amount of sympathy for what would be an otherwise flat character. An attempt to do it the same way in live action would have definitely compromised Tarantino's vision for the sequence. And I really feel that cutting the sequence down to quick stills or something similar would have greatly lessened the emotional impact.

Bottom line: the story should have been told, and animation was the best medium to tell it, IMHO.

As for the whole two parter thing, I felt strangely fulfilled by the abrupt ending. The movie had basically been a big adrenaline rush the entire time and if it had gone on another hour and a half I think the action wouldn't have had quite the same effect on me for much longer.

Anyway, does anyone know how long the second part is compared to the first one?
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Demiurge wrote:I would have preferred Tarantino play Bill. That would have been awesome and hilarious at the same time.
But it DOESN'T work.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Saw it yesterday and i must say ... i'm not as impressed as i should be. It was good but not as good as everyones been saying. I personally thought it was pretty stupid to have the first bit set after the second. hopefully the second part wil;l be better.

The old klingon proverb got a few laughs though :lol:
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Demiurge
Rabid Monkey

Post by Demiurge »

2000AD wrote:Saw it yesterday and i must say ... i'm not as impressed as i should be. It was good but not as good as everyones been saying. I personally thought it was pretty stupid to have the first bit set after the second. hopefully the second part wil;l be better.
I have to agree there. Fun movie, but nowhere near Tarantino's best work. There's no way it's comparable to Pulp Fiction, in my opinion.
The old klingon proverb got a few laughs though :lol:
I didn't think that was all that funny, and neither did anyone else in the theatre. At least, they didn't laugh at it.
delicious pies
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

It was when the "old Klingon proverb" bit came up that people laughed.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!