Unnamed lensman/ culture fic.

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

HRogge
Jedi Master

Post by HRogge »

Ohoh... this won't be good for the Lensmen... the worst thing you can do to Culture ( from their viewpoint ) is to prevent their children from learning.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
---------
Honorary member of the Rhodanites
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Man the only thing that would be nastier would be a Lensman /Necron fanfic.
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
Micheal Ryans, Beta pilot
Jedi Knight

Post by Micheal Ryans, Beta pilot »

Crazedwraith wrote:1st post. not that i read this fnafic or anything but...
*arms combi-melta*

Run, now.

FBH: Very interesting update. Although IMHO the Lensmen deserve something along the lines of a decent-sized fleet of ROUs appearing in their backyard.
Titan Princeps of the Mecha Maniacs: Gloriam Imperator
"StarDestroyer.net: Even our idiots are smarter." - RedImperator
"A Terminator Space Marine. Also known as your worst nightmare." Stormbringer
"Know the ECM. Love the ECM. Cherish the ECM, for it jams thine enemys targeting."- Necronlord
HALOite, Robotech/Macross supporter, 40Ker, and part-time Warsie.
HRogge
Jedi Master

Post by HRogge »

Micheal Ryans, Beta pilot wrote:
*arms combi-melta*

Run, now.

FBH: Very interesting update. Although IMHO the Lensmen deserve something along the lines of a decent-sized fleet of ROUs appearing in their backyard.
Oh, just imagine the face of the lensmen fleet command when they hear that an orbital ( inclusive their troops on it ) vanished !
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
---------
Honorary member of the Rhodanites
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

*arms combi-melta*

Run, now.

A WoI will rpotect me from whateverthehell a "combi-melta" is! :P
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Crazedwraith wrote:
*arms combi-melta*

Run, now.

Hrmm... depending on what a WoI is, no it won't.
FBHthelizardmage
Padawan Learner

Post by FBHthelizardmage »

HRogge wrote:Ohoh... this won't be good for the Lensmen... the worst thing you can do to Culture ( from their viewpoint ) is to prevent their children from learning.
Well, they will still be learning, just not exactly what the Culture would have taught them.

Sorry this isn't another update.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Singular Quartet wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:
Micheal Ryans, Beta pilot wrote: *arms combi-melta*

Run, now.

Wall Of Ignorance?
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Crazedwraith wrote:
Singular Quartet wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote: A WoI will rpotect me from whateverthehell a "combi-melta" is! :P
Wall Of Ignorance?
That won't make you any less dead.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Typhonis 1 wrote:Man the only thing that would be nastier would be a Lensman /Necron fanfic.
I will resist....

I must resist...

Oh sod it.

I must learn more about the Lensmanverse...

Humm. *wonders how the lensmen detect cloaked ROUs.*
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Jedi Knight

Crazedwraith wrote:Wall Of Ignorance?
A WoI won't protect you from having every cell in your body explosively vaporised, at the same time.
"Know the ECM. Love the ECM. Cherish the ECM, for it jams thine enemys targeting."- Necronlord
XANATOS
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by XANATOS »

three ponts
1 another great page from fbhthelizardmage
i am lookin forward to more SOON

2 the lensmen would never be foolish enough
to take a functioning culture orbital
back to civilisation
of course i realize the author had to come
up with a way for the savage comie scum
of the culture to put up a fight

the slaves of the culture should be grateful for there liberation
from robots

the mighty petrol should take what they want
and burn the orbital to bedrock and what little
scum or left alive should be crucified
as an example of what is done to barbarians
who wont leave others in peace

XANATOS
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

You mean not leaving people in peace like the GP is doing right now?

And as others have said, burning an orbital would be a 'very bad idea'.
XANATOS
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by XANATOS »

THE OTHERS ARE WRONG

WHAT THE GP. IS DOING IS SELF DEFENSE
THE CULTURE HAS KILLED BILLIONS
TO AQUIRE MORE SLAVES

XANATOS
Jedi Knight

XANATOS wrote:THE OTHERS ARE WRONG

WHAT THE GP. IS DOING IS SELF DEFENSE
THE CULTURE HAS KILLED BILLIONS
TO AQUIRE MORE SLAVES

XANATOS
No it hasn't.

I reiterate: The Culture is not on a true war footing yet; mass-murdering their civilians would put them on a war footing, which means the GP is totally arse-fucked.
FBHthelizardmage
Padawan Learner

sorry again this isn't an update, will get writing over the weekend, been rather busy.
XANATOS wrote:three ponts
1 another great page from fbhthelizardmage
i am lookin forward to more SOON
hehe. Me to.
2 the lensmen would never be foolish enough to take a functioning culture orbital back to civilisation
of course i realize the author had to come up with a way for the savage comie scum of the culture to put up a fight
Nahy, an orbital is the best thing to bring back, if you want to build technology. Its not as easy to blow up as a ship (to many civilians).
the slaves of the culture should be grateful for there liberation
from robots
Thats the lensman's view of it.

As I may not have said this, but the lensman aren't actually bad guys really, There just A willing to do anything to win, and B very sure that there right.
the mighty petrol should take what they want and burn the orbital to bedrock and what little scum or left alive should be crucified as an example of what is done to barbarians who wont leave others in peace
And miss out the chance to possible retro-engineer the culture's cool technology? no way.

Though if they couldn't capture they would destroy.
FBHthelizardmage
Padawan Learner

Micheal Ryans, Beta pilot wrote: No it hasn't.

I reiterate: The Culture is not on a true war footing yet; mass-murdering their civilians would put them on a war footing, which means the GP is totally arse-fucked.
Its spinning up.

As you may have seen in the first bit of the battle, the lensman are willing to blow up orbitals.
FBHthelizardmage
Padawan Learner

Just one more before I go write some more fanfic

Basically the tactical situation is this.

The Galatic patrol can win if it can take out enough of the Culture's infrustructure (be it factory ships GSV or orbitals) to keep an advantage of numbers over the Culture.

OTOH if the Culture can bring down the number advantage then there superior ships and production will rapidly annilate the patrol.

Whether they can? well your'll have to wait and see.
FBHthelizardmage
Padawan Learner

Hunter group 489 area of opperations.

Space flashed from cold to annilating heat as beams and missiles slashed across it. The 36 remaining super dreadnaughts of group 489 squared off against 1 Culture warship an ROU according to there ship recongnition guides.

It appear that the ship was either of some kind of new design or overstressing its systems for a temporary power boost, since despite being out numbered about thirty to one it was just about holding its own. Current intelligence showed that they should be able to fairly easily destroy a Culture ROU at this range assuming a numerical superiority of more than ten to one.

As the battle continued, the ships detected another vessel moving in behind them. It appeared to be a patrol cruiser. What it was doing so far out here was a mystery, but the computers flagged it as friendly up until the Lens of the Crew on board the Lensman ships detected a total absence of living beings aboard. The ship had obviously been subsumed... This was confirmed as a spray of displaced CCAM slammed into their formation.

Apparently facing 2 Culture war ships: one at long range, the hunter group chose to safeguard their ships and soared away in a massive inertialess starburst.

O ROU Attitude Adjuster
X ROU Sadism
X Factory Vessel Clever Contradiction

Greetings, heard your distress call. Sorry I couldn’t get here sooner.

O Factory Vessel Clever Contradiction
X ROU Sadism
X ROU Attitude Adjuster

Thanks. You appear to be wearing an enemy cruiser, is that the fasion now?

O ROU Sadism
X Factory Vessal Clever Contradiction
X ROU Attitude Adjuster
Don’t mind Contraditions, it’s just naturally pissy.

O Factory Vessal Clever Contradiction
X ROU Sadism
X ROU Attitude Adjuster

I am Not! Meat, you have no sense of humour...

O ROU Attitude Adjuster
X ROU Sadism

Much as I’d like to hear the continuation of this family spat, I am required elsewhere. Could you acompany me Sadism? I need all the help I can get.

O ROU Sadism
X ROU Attitude Adjuster

Sure, if the Contradiction will be all right.

O Factory Vessal Clever Contradiction
X ROU Sadism
X ROU Attitude Adjuster
y
Sure, my next warship is almost complete, and I’m moving out anway.

O ROU Sadism
X ROU Attitude Adjuster
So where are we going?

O ROU Attitude Adjuster
X ROU Sadism
Pittents

From “A brief history of conflict” Published 3000AD (local time) by the University of Brazil (universe 2)

It is often wondered by historians just how the war between Civilisation and the Culture came about. What would posses such a pair of apparantly good, progressive and friendly entities to fight it out with such savagery. It is sometimes pointed out that the war started with a pre-emptive strike on the Lensmans’ part.

On the other hand, It seems likely that had the situations been reversed the Culture would have attempted at least their normal Benign espionage against Civilisation.

Despite boths’ avowed good intentions, the two nations approached that ideal from opposite ends of the spectrum. For Civilisation good was to be bought about by a set of rules which would ensure liberty and well being for every sentient as long as they lived by them, indeed the insitution of the patrol had been created for the simple purpose of enforcing such a rule of law across the breadth of space.

On the other hand the Culture attempted to create an enviroment in which good would come naturally, where nothing was forbidden, where evil was impossible since there would be no reason for evil, as every need was meet.

This fundemental difference in attitude was compounded by the two nations’ differences in society, technology and paradoxically the biological similarity between the Culture’s mainly human stock and the Tellusians. These very similarities brought the social differences starkly to light.

Whereas the majority of human worlds in the Patrol frowned on pre marital sex, to the Culture sex was just another recreational activity. Whereas the Patrol had fought a war that would eventually span to galaxies to stamp out the drug trade, the Culture equipped its citizens with glands that could at will dispense pretty much any drug imaginable. The Culture’s reliance on sentient machines also caused much consternation among the ranks of Civliisation, which had not even had computers until a few decades before, to them the thought of a nation ruled by sentiant machines seemed the stuff of pulp science fiction.

Then there was the Culture’s dislike of nationalism, patrotism and the other values Civilization held so dear. Many in the higher ranks of the Patrol with memories of the hottest part of the Boskonian war found similarities between the Culture ideals and the propaganda put out by the Boskonians.

This coupled with The Culture’s vast power and evidently interventionist ways made a first strike almost inevitable.
Jedi Knight

FBHthelizardmage wrote:

Its spinning up.

As you may have seen in the first bit of the battle, the lensman are willing to blow up orbitals.
I know that, but wasting large amounts of the Culture's citizenry would cause them to, ah how to say this, break out the really big guns.
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

FBH, if you are reffering to the ship storage facility inside the rock, then you actually want "Pittance"
FBHthelizardmage
Padawan Learner

Singular Quartet wrote:FBH, if you are reffering to the ship storage facility inside the rock, then you actually want "Pittance"
oops.... sorry.
FBHthelizardmage
Padawan Learner

FBHthelizardmage wrote:

Its spinning up.

I know that, but wasting large amounts of the Culture's citizenry would cause them to, ah how to say this, break out the really big guns.
As opposed to what?

Frankly Its not as if the idirians blowing up orbitals causes massive culture retalitory strikes...
Currald
Jedi Knight
Location: Portland, Oregon, North America, Tellus, Sol System, First Galaxy

Post by Currald »

One thing to consider which hasn't (IIRC; this thread has been going for months now) been brought up is Civilization's propaganda war. An example where this was very evident in the GP's actions on Lonabar. Let me see if I can find a quote here...
Propagandists took the lead; psychologists; Lensmen skilled not only in languages but also in every art of human relationships. The case of Civilization was stated plainly and repeatedly, the errors and fallacies of autocracy were pointed out. A nucleus of government was formed; not of Civilization's imports, but of solid Lonabarian citizens who had passed the Lensmen's tests of ability and trustworthiness.
Under this local government a pseudo-democracy began haltingly to function. At first its progress was painfully slow; but as more and more of the citizens perceived what the Patrol was actually doing, it grew apace. Not only did the invaders allow - yes, foster - free speech and statutory liberty; they suppressed ruthlessly any person or and faction seeking to build a new dictatorship, whatever its nature, upon the ruins of the old.

Edward E. Smith, Ph.D, Second Stage Lensmen p. 182-183.
There were additional details about whom specifically they needed to quell, and what to do about dumb people (hope their children will get the idea about democracy), and how it was many years before true democracy flourished without the benevolent guiding hand of the Patrol involved directly.

Oh, and it's "Tellurians," not "Tellusians."
Clear Ether, Currald
Jedi Knight

FBHthelizardmage wrote:As opposed to what?

Frankly Its not as if the idirians blowing up orbitals causes massive culture retalitory strikes...
Permit me to clarify.

What I meant was that the Culture seems to be playing (relatively speaking of course) fair; I pity the GP if they make the mistake of provoking them into doing otherwise.