For Your Consideration

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

For Your Consideration

Post by Stravo »

This thread is for authors and authors only to make suggestions as to what fics they are putting up for nomination for the illustrious Golden Stardestroyer Award

An author can simply list any fanfics that they would like to have considered for the GSDA's or if there is a particular category they would like to be nominated in that can be laid out as well.

As a reminder the categories from last year were:

Best Character Development
Best Ending
Best Ground Combat
Best Space Battle
Best Duel
Best Romance
Most Creative Tactic -
Best Use of Technobabble
Best Title -
Best Torture
Best Use of Star Trek –
Best Use of Star Wars -
Funniest Death -
Goriest Fanfic
Highest Body Count
Most Fair and Unbiased Fanfic –
Most Humorous Fanfic –
Most Original Character -
Most Original Story
Most Spectacular Death
Overall Best Fanfic

Fan commentary on the author's selections will be allowed in this thread, but please limit it to commentray, there will be a fan thread for their own nominations entitled "The People's Choice"
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

I don't feel like putting A Prelude to War up for nomination until I'm finished with the goddamn thing.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Crayz9000 wrote:I don't feel like putting A Prelude to War up for nomination until I'm finished with the goddamn thing.
CRayz Starcrossed won't likely be finished until after the awards and I'm still putting it up, the damn thing's over a year old. You should put Prelude up finished or not. If the GSDA's were limited to finished fics the field would be TINY.

Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

Ashes of the Galaxy for
Funniest Death - (anything from chapter 2 or 3)
Highest Body Count (for the next chapter)
Most Fair and Unbiased Fanfic (both sides are equally incompetent)
Most Humorous Fanfic (the jokes are utterly brilliant)
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

That's mine, for now. I'll probably change a few over time. I assume we can't nominate ourselves?

EDIT:

Alright, my brain is shit right now... I keep misreading stuff... gah...

Works I've done this year that I consider to be up for award:

Infinite Fun
Most creative use of Star Trek
Best Title

The "Well, it's there if you want to read it and suggest awards" section
Craziness
Love
Star Trek: Sojourner
The War of the Unforgiven
Last edited by Singular Quartet on 2003-10-24 06:30pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Singular Quartet wrote:Best Character Development - Pablo Sanchez: Suicide Squad
Hrm, I don't think this is good. There should be a category "Best use of Denizens" or something, because I just think it's no good to have a denizen fic in this slot :?
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Admiral_K
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by Admiral_K »

Stravo, perhaps you should break down your monster Fic Starcrossed into different "books" so to speak. Then you could win the award multiple times =/.
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Pablo Sanchez wrote:
Singular Quartet wrote:Best Character Development - Pablo Sanchez: Suicide Squad
Hrm, I don't think this is good. There should be a category "Best use of Denizens" or something, because I just think it's no good to have a denizen fic in this slot :?
I was more considering character reactions in the last chapter, as there were very good ones. It sorta gave that "Catch-22" feel towards how well characters reacted in the end.
haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Post by haas mark »

I would put up some of my stuff if I could get it past fucking Chapter 1...

~ver
Last edited by haas mark on 2003-10-24 06:21pm, edited 3 times in total.
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005

Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Admiral_K wrote:Stravo, perhaps you should break down your monster Fic Starcrossed into different "books" so to speak. Then you could win the award multiple times =/.
I've thought about it but I never really envisioned it broken out into books. The Twilight War on the other hand is broken down into books.

Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Singular Quartet wrote:That's mine, for now. I'll probably change a few over time. I assume we can't nominate ourselves?
*cough*
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Singular Quartet wrote:
Singular Quartet wrote:That's mine, for now. I'll probably change a few over time. I assume we can't nominate ourselves?
*cough*
The point of the For your consideration thread is for you to nominate yourself. You nominate other fics in the People's Choice thread. This is sort of a self promotion thread, like the DVD screeners sent out by the film studios marked "For your consideration" In effect you are telling people. hey check out my fic.

Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Stravo wrote:The point of the For your consideration thread is for you to nominate yourself. You nominate other fics in the People's Choice thread. This is sort of a self promotion thread, like the DVD screeners sent out by the film studios marked "For your consideration" In effect you are telling people. hey check out my fic.
Okay.

Hey, check out my Fic, Suicide Squad. A good proportion of people seemed to like it, even Dalton (tm), and he hates everything. It has some bitching ground combat, amusing black humor, confusing 'plots,' and if you are especially notable you might have appeared in it at some point.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Stravo wrote:
Singular Quartet wrote:
*cough*
The point of the For your consideration thread is for you to nominate yourself. You nominate other fics in the People's Choice thread. This is sort of a self promotion thread, like the DVD screeners sent out by the film studios marked "For your consideration" In effect you are telling people. hey check out my fic.
:oops: :oops:
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:
Stravo wrote:The point of the For your consideration thread is for you to nominate yourself. You nominate other fics in the People's Choice thread. This is sort of a self promotion thread, like the DVD screeners sent out by the film studios marked "For your consideration" In effect you are telling people. hey check out my fic.
Okay.

Hey, check out my Fic, Suicide Squad. A good proportion of people seemed to like it, even Dalton (tm), and he hates everything. It has some bitching ground combat, amusing black humor, confusing 'plots,' and if you are especially notable you might have appeared in it at some point.
That's the spirit, and if you think you're fic is strong in a particular category feel free to add that to your post.

ie.

Please consider Suicide Squad for:

Best Ground Combat
Best Character Development, etc.

consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Hmm, I hereby submit that I have written two fics, and completed exactly one of them:

Thirty Years Warning(completed)
and
The True Rebellion
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Stravo wrote:CRayz Starcrossed won't likely be finished until after the awards and I'm still putting it up, the damn thing's over a year old. You should put Prelude up finished or not. If the GSDA's were limited to finished fics the field would be TINY.
I know that. My problem is just readership; I can't put out chapters fast enough to keep most people's interest strong. So it'd probably be better if I worked on chapters at my own pace, got the book finished, and then released it gradually (leaving me the option of making slight modifications until it's all been posted).
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

I was originally going for Most Humorous and Funniest Death (people will die before the end), but apparently SQ thinks I should go for Best Title as well.

Hmmm. Well, if that's what the people want... :)
JADAFETWA
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Re: For Your Consideration

Post by weemadando »

Please consider Deceiver for:

Best Character Development
Best Ending (upcoming)
Best Space Battle
Most Creative Tactic -
Best Use of Star Wars -
Most Original Character -
Most Original Story
Most Spectacular Death
Overall Best Fanfic

Best Ending/Best use is all I ask for! PLEASE... Pretty please.

And TK421 for:

Most Humourous.

Make it two in a row for me!
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Stravo wrote:
Admiral_K wrote:Stravo, perhaps you should break down your monster Fic Starcrossed into different "books" so to speak. Then you could win the award multiple times =/.
I've thought about it but I never really envisioned it broken out into books. The Twilight War on the other hand is broken down into books.
Considering the absolutely monster size of the fic as it is now (damn close to two megs), I've considered slicing it up into separate parts just for the sake of the readers (we wound up doing it with Domination).
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

On the Galactic Emperors.

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

I would ask that those interested in reading an alternate history of the Vong invasion of the Star Wars galaxy from the perspective of a crossover with Star Trek take a look at the work entitled De Imperatoribus Galacticis, or "On the Galactic Emperors". I do not presume to request any sort of consideration for nomination in regard to rewards but merely to ask for feedback, which I have rarely received on the work, and which is generally the lifeblood of a fanfiction author. A nomination would be flattering but hardly requested.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Re: On the Galactic Emperors.

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:I do not presume to request any sort of consideration for nomination in regard to rewards but merely to ask for feedback, which I have rarely received on the work, and which is generally the lifeblood of a fanfiction author.
I couldn't agree more with that statement. I recall writing and posting a peice, and getting none/zero/diddly/squat responses. Didn't write a dman thing for about 6 months...
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:I would ask that those interested in reading an alternate history of the Vong invasion of the Star Wars galaxy from the perspective of a crossover with Star Trek take a look at the work entitled De Imperatoribus Galacticis, or "On the Galactic Emperors". I do not presume to request any sort of consideration for nomination in regard to rewards but merely to ask for feedback, which I have rarely received on the work, and which is generally the lifeblood of a fanfiction author. A nomination would be flattering but hardly requested.
As that is probably the most eloquent publicity request I've ever read, I shall add it to the top of my reading list.

Oh, and SQ, odd, I must have missed that one...
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

NecronLord wrote:
The Duchess of Zeon wrote:I would ask that those interested in reading an alternate history of the Vong invasion of the Star Wars galaxy from the perspective of a crossover with Star Trek take a look at the work entitled De Imperatoribus Galacticis, or "On the Galactic Emperors". I do not presume to request any sort of consideration for nomination in regard to rewards but merely to ask for feedback, which I have rarely received on the work, and which is generally the lifeblood of a fanfiction author. A nomination would be flattering but hardly requested.
As that is probably the most eloquent publicity request I've ever read, I shall add it to the top of my reading list.

Oh, and SQ, odd, I must have missed that one...
It was a while back. Probably can't even dig it up witht he search engine by now...
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

NecronLord wrote:
Thank you kindly. The extant work excepting the current incomplete chapter I am working on (very slowly I confess) is available on the archive under my name.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.