The Special Edition of Fist of the Empire: Prolog/Chapter 1

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Some sci-fi superweapon I've been toying around with in my head are weapons which I call "electromagnetic disruptors" - they disrupt certain electromagnetical phenomena (such as chemical bonds) and therefore cause their targets to disperse into clouds of gas.

However, because I'm afraid it seems too ludicrous (for starters, it would require immense amounts of electricity to function) I haven't used it in The Wormhole War.... yet.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

What is that above post doing in this thread?
Shogoki
Jedi Knight

Post by Shogoki »

Simon H.Johansen wrote:Some sci-fi superweapon I've been toying around with in my head are weapons which I call "electromagnetic disruptors" - they disrupt certain electromagnetical phenomena (such as chemical bonds) and therefore cause their targets to disperse into clouds of gas.

However, because I'm afraid it seems too ludicrous (for starters, it would require immense amounts of electricity to function) I haven't used it in The Wormhole War.... yet.
Been done, they are called phasers, except after realizing actual phasers would boil anything in a room due to the gas expelled by the disintegrated body of the target, things started to get "phased" out of existence.

And yes, that the hell is this doing here?
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

phongn wrote: Or the refurbished battleships or 'plasma yield' shells or a bunch of other things.
Well Battle Born was published around the time she started writing FOTE.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

phongn wrote: Or the refurbished battleships or 'plasma yield' shells or a bunch of other things. But I trust this revision of FOTE will be much better.
*sighs* "Plasma-yield" shells were just nuclear devices with a layer of metallic hydrogen packed around them.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Well Battle Born was published around the time she started writing FOTE.
Curiously, I read that book new. *shudder* Unfortunately.

On the plus side I doubt any of my violations were of a scope greater in magnitude than Ringo's; he just has an editor. *innocent look*
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote: *sighs* "Plasma-yield" shells were just nuclear devices with a layer of metallic hydrogen packed around them.
Gah, I seem to recall something different in the various threads back then. Still, those being more powerful than M/AM rounds seemed somewhat absurd, and if the Federation could do anything, it was produce antimatter.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote: *sighs* "Plasma-yield" shells were just nuclear devices with a layer of metallic hydrogen packed around them.
Okay... Well if you find an alternative way to work in naval gun combat, warships being engulfed in clusters of nuclear fireballs will make for better action. Steam clouds from the shields, which would now need to touch the water, rising like the smoke of coal fueled battleships would further add interest. But that's all of course a long time away.
Curiously, I read that book new. *shudder* Unfortunately.

On the plus side I doubt any of my violations were of a scope greater in magnitude than Ringo's; he just has an editor. *innocent look*

Bah, your thermonuclear nuclear bomb on Sydney couldn't possibly have exploded without the material first being reprocessed.
Last edited by Sea Skimmer on 2003-10-30 09:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

There was also the cruise missile strike, IIRC.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

phongn wrote:There was also the cruise missile strike, IIRC.
Lots of missiles in the story, which one are you talking about? The bombardment of Panama?
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

phongn wrote: Gah, I seem to recall something different in the various threads back then. Still, those being more powerful than M/AM rounds seemed somewhat absurd, and if the Federation could do anything, it was produce antimatter.
It might have been metallic hydrogen packed around M/AM--for the ones arming the railguns of the Puppet Government's warships. But my idea was for the feddies to be trying to create a poor man's flak burst.

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
phongn wrote:There was also the cruise missile strike, IIRC.
Lots of missiles in the story, which one are you talking about? The bombardment of Panama?
The Israeli-launched strike ?
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

phongn wrote: The Israeli-launched strike ?
Right, that one. Yeah those wouldn't have worked unless the family maintaining them was also hiding something the size of oak ridge along with the launchers and missiles. Though I kind of doubt the airframes would be good either, or electronics or engines or anything else.

Though some at least of that could be replaced without attracting attention. But the later period of the Federation would likely make that impossible with its tight economic controls. Well anyway getting around the issue shouldn't be that hard, stolen photon torpedos perhapes, or some tactical missile from Kirk's time that reaplced the orginal nukes.
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

phongn wrote:What is that above post doing in this thread?
Well, I think it was the talk about the "plasma-yield warheads" which inspired me to tell about my own technobabble weapons.

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
AdmiralTDM
BANNED

great

Post by AdmiralTDM »

seems to be pretty good. Not enough SW evil planning for my tastes but oh well.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Re: great

Post by phongn »

AdmiralTDM wrote:seems to be pretty good. Not enough SW evil planning for my tastes but oh well.
All in due time.

I was, however, slightly disturbed to be a fascist general in the original FOTE, though ...
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Simon H.Johansen wrote:Some sci-fi superweapon I've been toying around with in my head are weapons which I call "electromagnetic disruptors" - they disrupt certain electromagnetical phenomena (such as chemical bonds) and therefore cause their targets to disperse into clouds of gas.

YOu mean like KJA's superweapon in the Jedi Academy Trilogy? The one shot device that was able to destroy material at a molecular level or something and reduce the hull of a ship to powder? I dunno fer sure.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Darth Fanboy wrote:

YOu mean like KJA's superweapon in the Jedi Academy Trilogy? The one shot device that was able to destroy material at a molecular level or something and reduce the hull of a ship to powder? I dunno fer sure.
Yeah. However, originally I thought about something which merely twisted matter into all sorts of distorted shapes.... thus producing some quite gruesome-looking casualties.

BTW - I have currently dropped those "superweapon" ideas.

Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Good to see Fist of the Empire in SD.net.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.