How do you counter the "they weren't Christians" a

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Bill Door wrote:Are all the Popes true Christians or not?
If yes, then why did the Pope Urban II call for the Crucades? Is the Pope suddenly not Christian because he called for the Crucades?

Urban II
Oh, but Catholics aren't Christians! :P

(If they ever use that suprisingly common arguement, inform them they have just denounced 55% of all Christians as fakes, and have relegated Christanity from the most popular religion in the world to third most popular.)
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Let's not forget, they all get their books (that they often deify, for shame :P) thanks to the catholic church and it's efforts.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Mad
Jedi Council Member

Post by Mad »

Bill Door wrote:Are all the Popes true Christians or not?
If yes, then why did the Pope Urban II call for the Crucades? Is the Pope suddenly not Christian because he called for the Crucades?

Urban II
I guess that could depend on whether the person answering the question is Catholic, Protestant, or something else... it'd also depend on the definition. one can profess to be a follower of Christ (Christian), but that doesn't actually mean Jesus will accept that person as a follower. Take the following passage from Matthew 7:21-23:

"Not everyone saying to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter into the kingdom of the heavens, but the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will. Many will say to me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?' And yet then I will confess to them: I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness."

So, the claim of being Christian doesn't mean that Christ himself accepts the person as such. The Crusades went against Jesus' teachings, so it's not difficult to guess how he viewed those involved...
Later...
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Gandalf wrote:Sorry, forgot to add, we're now debating the accuracy of "Hank's Ass."

The terms "Christ", "Christian", and "Christianity" are completely absent from the "Hank's Ass" story, so why should a Christian find it offensive, unless they think it somehow describes their religion. Ask them why they're arguing with you about this story if they don't think it's descriptive of Christianity.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"