SDN SN

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

I'm a fan of a little-known anime series, which is what I based my SN on... :wink:
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Screen Name came from a Sci-Fi thing I'm writing. Don't know where I got Cyran from...just seems kinda cool.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

salm wrote:i picked my name putting together a couple of letters randomly. only later was i told that there was some star wars captain(?) salm. nice coincidence.
General Horton Salm, commander of Defender Wing. He was also responsible for rebuilding Rogue Squadron under Wedge Antilles. He accused Tycho Selchu of treason after the guy that people think is my namesake ( :lol: ) disappeared.
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

Guess :roll:
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Vald, with all honesty, I think you have one of the best titles here. :)

"Outside Context Problem" just has a fantastic ring to it.
Why thank you, Mr. Dolphin. :P I didn't want to have it originally because SyntaxVorlon had it in his sig for some time, then it went, then it came back and so on. But I was going to have "Culture Vulture" instead until I decided against it by popular demand. I use Culture Vulture on SB.com and others anyway.
"An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop. The usual example given to illustrate an Outside Context Problem was imagining you were a tribe on a largish, fertile island; you'd tamed the land, invented the wheel or writing or whatever, the neighbours were cooperative or enslaved but at any rate peaceful and you were busy raising temples to yourself with all the excess productive capacity you had, you were in a position of near-absolute power and control which your hallowed ancestors could hardly have dreamed of and the whole situation was just running along nicely like a canoe on wet grass... when suddenly this bristling lump of iron appears sailless and trailing steam in the bay and these guys carrying long funny-looking sticks come ashore and announce you've just been discovered, you're all subjects of the Emperor now, he's keen on presents called tax and these bright-eyed holy men would like a word with your priests."
-Iain M. Banks, Excession
Perhaps Third Impact could be defined as an OCP, hmm...
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

My screenname here is my actual name. I used it because I thought I would be regarded as a coward if I chose a nickname instead.

And how wrong I was.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

Raxmei is my middle name. I think it means either 'bright' or 'sun' in Khmer. I use it online because it's unique to me and can pass for a pseudonym.
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Imperator is the Latin root of the English word Emperor and one of the Roman emperors' many titles. I added Red because no matter how badass something is (like the Roman Empire), you can make it more badass by making it red. And anyone who knows me can tell you what a badass I am. It's a true fact.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

RedImperator wrote:Imperator is the Latin root of the English word Emperor and one of the Roman emperors' many titles. I added Red because no matter how badass something is (like the Roman Empire), you can make it more badass by making it red. And anyone who knows me can tell you what a badass I am. It's a true fact.
I bow to your mighty Badassness(TM).

Red is the superior choice of colour.
CrimsonRaine
Jedi Knight

Post by CrimsonRaine »

3rd Impact wrote:I'm a fan of a little-known anime series, which is what I based my SN on... :wink:
Would that be Neon Genesis Evangelion? ;) One of the few anime's whose character's made my eye twitch (Asuka) and my brain burn (the entire plot)?

Crimson Raine
"And on that day, on the horizon, I shall be. And I shall point at them and say unto them HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!" -- Ravenwing
RedImperator: "Yeah, and there were little Jesus-bits everywhere."
Crimsonraine: "Jesus-bits?!"

666th Post: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:59 am
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Perhaps Third Impact could be defined as an OCP, hmm...
Not likely it's more like mass extinction. A BDZ isn't the same as a major sudden change in philosophy that would accompany an OCP.
I've kept 3 examples in my sig to reduce confusion. Most people know at least one of them. :D
WE, however, do meddle in the affairs of others.
What part of [ Image,Image, N(Image) ] don't you understand?
Skeptical Armada Cynic: ROU Aggressive Logic
SDN Ranger: Skeptical Ambassador
EOD
Mr Golgotha, Ms Scheck, we're running low on skin. I suggest you harvest another lesbian!
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

CrimsonRaine wrote:
3rd Impact wrote:I'm a fan of a little-known anime series, which is what I based my SN on... :wink:
Would that be Neon Genesis Evangelion? ;) One of the few anime's whose character's made my eye twitch (Asuka) and my brain burn (the entire plot)?

Crimson Raine
Bleh to you... :P
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Besides, I'm also a lot like Shinji in many ways... :)
A shrill, insufferable whiner? :wtf: :P :wink:
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Well, more of the Hedgehog Dilemma stuff, really.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

I dug my name from the lead character in the Violinist of Hameln manga
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

my SN's fairly obvious. General Zod turned into a sith lord. should you somehow not know who zod is, go here :)
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Darth_Zod wrote:my SN's fairly obvious. General Zod turned into a sith lord. should you somehow not know who zod is, go here :)
Terrence Stamp = teh coolness.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

My name is not based on the idea of a n00b Jedi. A bit after the WH40K Codex: Armageddon came out, by friend (who plays Black Templar) and I were playing a few games of 40K. I wandered over to his table where he was dogpiling a 15-man Marine squad in an assault on some poor enemy models. The extra 5 men were from the new Templar rules of Neophyte Space Marines. I knew the word of course, but still thought it sounded funny in this context, so I pointed at one and in the most annoying voice I could muster, I proclaimed, "Nnnnnnneophyte!". The humor is lost over a text medium, but it stuck and I continued annoying my friend with it for some time, until we got in a game of Firearms online and were losing badly. So we changed our names to the weakest, most comical 40K troops we could think of - Neophyte (myself) and Guardsman (my friend). I kept that for awhile until I later wanted to return to the Star Warsy roots of one of my first online names (JediTF2) and changed to JediNeophyte.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

CrimsonRaine wrote: Would that be Neon Genesis Evangelion? ;) One of the few anime's whose character's made my eye twitch (Asuka) and my brain burn (the entire plot)?

Crimson Raine
Mwahaha! Fear my iridium-plated synapses!
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Knife was my callsign durring aggressing ops when I worked at a Combat Skills School in the USMC. I picked that callsign from a Clancy book, Clear and Present Danger. When I was stationed in the grunts my squad usually when by Jonny Walker but I liked Knife better for an individual basis.

I used it for so many years in the Corps., that when I signed up here it was the natural choice. :wink:
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

SyntaxVorlon wrote:I've kept 3 examples in my sig to reduce confusion. Most people know at least one of them. :D
Let's see...the Tardis, the 2001 monolith, and Kosh?

Phil and Tsyroc: Screw both of you :)
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

Dalton wrote:
SyntaxVorlon wrote:I've kept 3 examples in my sig to reduce confusion. Most people know at least one of them. :D
Let's see...the Tardis, the 2001 monolith, and Kosh?

Yay
*Gives Dalton a cookie for:
A: Knowing all three like a good SF geek
B: Not berating me for comparing you to a character in Chronotrigger.
*I give you the Aero Dalton Imperial!
**Chronotrigger good guy music starts
*Hey STOP that music
**Music turns to Bad Guy theme.
WE, however, do meddle in the affairs of others.
What part of [ Image,Image, N(Image) ] don't you understand?
Skeptical Armada Cynic: ROU Aggressive Logic
SDN Ranger: Skeptical Ambassador
EOD
Mr Golgotha, Ms Scheck, we're running low on skin. I suggest you harvest another lesbian!
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Dalton wrote:
I know, I know. You used to screw guys like us in prison? Oh wait, that was the other guy in Roadhouse. Nevermind. :D
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

SyntaxVorlon wrote:Yay
*Gives Dalton a cookie for:
A: Knowing all three like a good SF geek
B: Not berating me for comparing you to a character in Chronotrigger.
*I give you the Aero Dalton Imperial!
**Chronotrigger good guy music starts
*Hey STOP that music
**Music turns to Bad Guy theme.
LOL, yeah, well, what can I say. His special move was a belch.
Tsyroc wrote:I know, I know. You used to screw guys like us in prison? Oh wait, that was the other guy in Roadhouse. Nevermind. :D
...remind me to learn Cartman's "I Hate You Guys" song.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Chardok is a place in everquest where many, many, many people die. it is without a doubt the most horrid non-planar zone in the game. Whomever designed it with the spawn points and aggro radii of the mobs should be shot, stabbed, beaten, hanged, drawn, quartered, and awarded 10,000,000.00 USD for creating the most challenging zone in all of everquest.

Sarnaks=Teh Death.

(I actually chose it because I didn't think anyone else would. My usual screenname is FinFreak72. I'm sure any self respecting football fan knows why, but I didn't pick FinFreak72 because I just thought it sounded a bit...childish....for this board (As opposed to the name of a zone from a MMORPG :roll: ) My logic is a bit skewed. :wink: )