Battlestar Galactica Review

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Oh man, the BSG franchise deserves better than this. Talk of a revival has been going on for YEARS, and this is what we get?
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I'm trying to figure out what they're doing with space. There are some noise effects, and others are extrodinarily subdued...it's kind of annoying.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Meh so far I'm enjoying this a lot more than any of the old BSG episodes I caught.. and my those Cylons certainly are nuke happy.
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

I've watched all of 15 minutes and am not disappointed in that I wasn't wrong how bad this was going to suck. Feeling vindicated I will now switch off this drek and forget it ever existed. Next time fuckers make your own show instead ofglomming on to a franchise and hoping that will keep your derivative shitty work afloat. :finger:
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
une
Padawan Learner

Post by une »

I like it. The show has a very "The Day After" type feel to it, focussing less on the Cylon attack and more on the reactions of the main characters to the attack.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Patrick Degan wrote:Hmm... First hour down and the action is flowing like cement.
I think it's another case of shitty writing imparing otherwise good actors. Jamie Bambier who play Apollo is a darn good actor (see A&E's Hornblower for proof) but he's sucking it up just as bad as the rest. And Edward James Olmos is another great actor stuck in bad role.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Ack...bleh.

I like Olmos for many things but this stuff he sounds almost like a bad Shatner.

And sorry the new Cylon design ships are honestly not as stylish as the old.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Like the new Cylon fighters.. I never did get why they had Centurions piloting the raiders in the old series.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Ghost Rider wrote:I like Olmos for many things but this stuff he sounds almost like a bad Shatner.
Shitty writing'll do that to the even the best actors.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

When I saw that Ronald Moore was connected to this project, I had a bad feeling and I was right. Definitive proof that Moore is as much a dull, plodding hack as the entire writing corps for TNG and DS9.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

my position on BSG...remains surprisingly neutral...it could get better, and it could get worse...
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Stormbringer wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:I like Olmos for many things but this stuff he sounds almost like a bad Shatner.
Shitty writing'll do that to the even the best actors.
Yeah no kiddin...seriously it's amazing.

Course then again it's too telling of series, when it has good actors but the emotion and feeling you get from the words are the same as sifting through mud.

That and Female Starbuck....is still too manly on my eyes. If not for the breasts...wouldn't be that far off.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Solid Snake
Jedi Council Member

Post by Solid Snake »

What can i say, I like it. :shrugs:
US Army Infantry: Follow Me!

Heavy Armor Brigade
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Jeeze, this is the most neutral sci-fi series I've ever seen. All I can say is some good, some bad, overall: just okay... :|
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Stravo wrote:
Kamakazie Sith wrote:
Stravo wrote: Would that include Matrix Revolutions?
Probably not but that still doesn't mean you should not see a movie based off the critics opinions of it.
How about making your own decision by looking at a making of and trailers? I've watched them both and was horrified by what I saw. I don't need to waste 4 hours of my life when the promotional material that is put together expressly for the purpose of making me like it repluses me.

I agree that you should not listen to just the critics, but if you yourself watch the trailers and go "this is going to blow." then the decision is made and people are free to voice their opinions. If the tide of opinions is decidedly negative I think people should think twice. But then again this is TV so its not like you're paying ten bucks to sit in a theater.
In that case I completely agree with you.
Milites Astrum Exterminans
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Patrick Degan wrote:When I saw that Ronald Moore was connected to this project, I had a bad feeling and I was right. Definitive proof that Moore is as much a dull, plodding hack as the entire writing corps for TNG and DS9.
LOL I almost expected to see B&B or someone along those lines in the credits.

I had a bad feeling when I saw the second sex scene within seconds of the last.
Milites Astrum Exterminans
Phil Skayhan
Jedi Knight

Post by Phil Skayhan »

I liked it. I watched the original faithfully when it was first on (even the 1980 abortion) and this is not a bad adaptation. They handled all the charachters well, with the possible exception of Starbuck. Baltar is especially done well; while not intentionally selling out humanity (for reasons that were never explained in the original), he remains a self-serving weasel. The Cylons are really done well. And special kudos to the director for not being squemish with the baby scene.

The special effects are standard and perhaps the combat scenes had a little too much of the zoom-in effect, but thats a stylistic nitpick.

The only seriouscomplaint I have is the music: "Shades of B5: Crusade" Too much percussion, not enough brass. Even strings would have been nice.
Com' on man, give me some dramatic buid-up!
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

SylasGaunt wrote:Meh so far I'm enjoying this a lot more than any of the old BSG episodes I caught.. and my those Cylons certainly are nuke happy.
I actually find it to be quite enjoyable . . .

If you forgot the fact that this is a remake of a crappy, heavily over-hyped series of the seventies, and turn off your brain, then it's excellent popcorn entertainment, and it makes wonderful MSTing material, insofar as you can see the major plot points lumbering towards you with all the subtlety of a herd of elephants charging towards you on a flat desert savannah, all of whom are suffering from a violent case of explosive diarrhea.

In other words, it's very, very predictable. But it's a fun sort of predictable when you remember that the original tried just as hard to be serious and crashed and burned just as badly.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

It's not very "fun" at all, in my opinion, since it's a 45-minute plot in a 90-minute execution.

In other words, it's way too slow.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

GrandMasterTerwynn wrote: I actually find it to be quite enjoyable . . .

If you forgot the fact that this is a remake of a crappy, heavily over-hyped series of the seventies, and turn off your brain, then it's excellent popcorn entertainment, and it makes wonderful MSTing material, insofar as you can see the major plot points lumbering towards you with all the subtlety of a herd of elephants charging towards you on a flat desert savannah, all of whom are suffering from a violent case of explosive diarrhea.
Speaking of MiSTy-ing it...I made only one keeper joke in the show:

(Scene, Adama looking at his recently recieved/recovered/restored Family Photo)
"Hey, so THAT's what happened to the Fonz!"
(The rest of the episode I was shouting for Adama to "Jump the Shark!" when he was giving/recieving orders)
Browncoat

Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Here's a writing tip: To portray a female chaarcter as "strong" you don't have to make them man like. Fucking hacks.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Arrow
Jedi Council Member

Post by Arrow »

This BSG is ok. Nothing special. This first episode reminds me of Midway, in that its taking a while for the action to build.

Highlights: Fixes the stupidity of the beginning of the original, since it replaces the 'lets sit back and the Cylons fire at our ships' with 'oh shit, we've been hacked!'; cool Battlestar and Cylon models.

Lowlights: The Colonials don't know jack about computer security and programming (I'm a programmer - this pisses me off!).

And the rest is decent for your average scifi flick.
Artillery. Its what's for dinner.
Macross
Jedi Master

Post by Macross »

It should have been a lot better, but this wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be. The back story and set up with the Cylon War and the Colonies being caught completely unprepared for an attack worked out well. But changing Starbuck and Boomer to females didnt work, they should have just added new characthers or used female characthers from the original.
Iraq Weather Report: Sunni today, Shi’ite Tommorow

The Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Frankenstein...Wasting a minute of your time!
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Anyone else think it was weird that some characters mentioned participating in the first Cylon War forty years ago, even though many of them are only ~35 at the most?

Or did I just hear some stuff wrong?

Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Lets play a little game: how many anti-technology sermons has Hollywood forced upon us this time.
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart