Yuuzhan Vong vs. Cylons

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Yuuzhan Vong vs. Cylons

Post by Darth Fanboy »

I know absolutely dick about Battlestar Galactica when it comes to the strength of their technology, but the Cylons as an uber-technology race versus the craziest technophobes Ive read about in awhile is too delicious a thought to let go of too quickly.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Darth Fanboy wrote:I know absolutely dick about Battlestar Galactica when it comes to the strength of their technology, but the Cylons as an uber-technology race versus the craziest technophobes Ive read about in awhile is too delicious a thought to let go of too quickly.
Plain and simple —the Cylons are fucked. Not only don't they have the firepower to survive a war against any race or organisation from the SW universe, they are about as tactically inept as the Borg.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Better idea: Cybermen Vs Yuuzhan Vong?
Image Image
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:Better idea: Cybermen Vs Yuuzhan Vong?
Depends on the era of course. If they ever reached the levels the daleks reached, the Vong are utterly and completely arseraped.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Post by StarshipTitanic »

I doubt anyone else knows dick about the Cylon's weapon tech. We saw it kick up some smoke and blow up a bit of concrete-like substance in the pilot and that's about it. The rest of the battles were in space.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Well, the Cylon Basestars have a central cannon that can take out a Battlestar in one shot. If that says anything.

Why else do you thing that Galactica kept her distance from the Basestars?
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Crayz9000 wrote:Well, the Cylon Basestars have a central cannon that can take out a Battlestar in one shot. If that says anything.

Why else do you thing that Galactica kept her distance from the Basestars?
They have two of those on the upper hull. Unfortunately, the places where Tigh vaguely circled in "The Hand of God" don't actually have any obvious weapons emplacements.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

Mutant Headcrab
Jedi Knight

Post by Mutant Headcrab »

I can see it now....

-----------------------------
*Cut to: multiple Cylon fighters attacking a Vong formation*
Cylon1: Attack the Worldship
Cylon 2: Which Worldship?
Cylon 1: That Worldship!
*Cylon fighter explodes from Vong fire*
------------------------------------

Ahhh...the potential for funny Cylon lines are limitless!
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Mutant Headcrab wrote:I can see it now....

-----------------------------
*Cut to: multiple Cylon fighters attacking a Vong formation*
Cylon1: Attack the Worldship
Cylon 2: Which Worldship?
Cylon 1: That Worldship!
*Cylon fighter explodes from Vong fire*
------------------------------------

Ahhh...the potential for funny Cylon lines are limitless!

The scariest thing is that I 'heard' those lines in the Cylon voices from the Original series....
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

You have a good memory, mi'lady ;). It goes somethink like this:

Cylon: "Sir, if I may-"
Baltar: "Not now. I don't want to miss a moment of the last battlestar's destruction."
Cylon: "I really think you should look at the other battlestar."

"The Living Legend Pt. 1"

Mutant Headcrab
Jedi Knight

LadyTevar wrote: ................................

The scariest thing is that I 'heard' those lines in the Cylon voices from the Original series....
Where do you think I got it from?

I mean, it really says alot about your basic infantry/fighter pilots/ toasters when they can't even identify the ship that they've been chasing for, oh I don't know, the entire freakin series!
Mutant Headcrab
Jedi Knight

StarshipTitanic wrote:You have a good memory, mi'lady ;). It goes somethink like this:

Cylon: "Sir, if I may-"
Baltar: "Not now. I don't want to miss a moment of the last battlestar's destruction."
Cylon: "I really think you should look at the other battlestar."

"The Living Legend Pt. 1"
Hmmmm....That's a different line from what I was thinking. The lines I was thinking of went like what I had, just replaced Battlestar with Worldship. I think it was from the Living Legend episodes, though I can't be sure.....
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

The dialogue I already posted is the only thing that comes to mind... *shrugs*

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

So what if someone pondered a fanfic where the Cylons were the technological oppressors in the Vong's home galaxy. the YV overthrew THEM piror to leaving for the SW galaxy?
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Darth Fanboy wrote:So what if someone pondered a fanfic where the Cylons were the technological oppressors in the Vong's home galaxy. the YV overthrew THEM piror to leaving for the SW galaxy?
It could work if Cylon tech was researched at Bum Bum University.

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

StarshipTitanic wrote:
Darth Fanboy wrote:So what if someone pondered a fanfic where the Cylons were the technological oppressors in the Vong's home galaxy. the YV overthrew THEM piror to leaving for the SW galaxy?
It could work if Cylon tech was researched at Bum Bum University.
Hence the YV's ability to overthrow them.

Darth Gojira
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Gojira »

I would just like to see the Vong go down, personally. I would easily take Battlestar Galactia over the NJO any day of the week.
Hokey masers and giant robots are no match for a good kaiju at your side, kid
Post #666: 5-24-03, 8:26 am (Hey, why not?)
Do you not believe in Thor, the Viking Thunder God? If not, then do you consider your state of disbelief in Thor to be a religion? Are you an AThorist?-Darth Wong on Atheism as a religion
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Darth Gojira wrote:I would just like to see the Vong go down, personally. I would easily take Battlestar Galactia over the NJO any day of the week.
It would be a total vong enslavement at first, with the eventual uprising. But im not gonna write the fic anymore because I don't find Cylons interesting enough.

GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

After having seen the new special, I can make the following comments:

A) Old Cylons would do about as well against the Vong as the greater powers in B5, or one of the AQ powers in ST . . . in other words, they'd be owned . . . badly.

B) New Cylons would do about as well against the Vong as Earthforce from B5, or the Human civilization in Space Above and Beyond. In other words, they'd take it up their collective asses . . . sideways . . . without lube. They'd be owned so bad that it isn't even funny.
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

What kind of justification do you have for A? Rewatch Saga of a Star World and Lost Planet of the Gods for horribly pathetic Cylon weapons yields. At least the new Cylons could muster 50-megaton bombs.

Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Don't we have any respectable *upper* limits on original Cylon firepower?
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Crayz9000 wrote:Don't we have any respectable *upper* limits on original Cylon firepower?
We never saw them fire on anything that broke after the first two episodes.

Murazor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Murazor »

Cylons don't have planet killers (if they have, they show a tactical sense worse than the borg for not using it against the colonials in a war of a thousand years). The Vong have planet killing through several very original ways and they have some tactical sense. The Vong won this easy.
Adrian Tullberg
Padawan Learner

Post by Adrian Tullberg »

Found this.

Does this help?
The Doctor (while standing in the pouring rain)-Pardon me, but could you spare a glass of water?
-From Doctor Who and The Brain of Morbius

Davros: We shall become all powerful ... !
The Doctor, joining in: Crush the lesser races! Conquer the Galaxy! Incredible power, unlimited rice pudding, etcetera, etcetera!!
-Remembrance of the Daleks
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Murazor wrote:Cylons don't have planet killers (if they have, they show a tactical sense worse than the borg for not using it against the colonials in a war of a thousand years). The Vong have planet killing through several very original ways and they have some tactical sense. The Vong won this easy.
Or they didn't want the Colonials to retaliate in kind. The bizzarely ueber cylons in Richard Hatch's books certainly have weapons on the ISD scale (an attack force being able to completely remove the crust of a planet, and a single larger basestar being able to 'shatter it pole to pole), but I see nothing to suggest that they have canon status.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth