Battlestar Galactica Review

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Shaka[Zulu]
Jedi Knight

Post by Shaka[Zulu] »

Mad wrote: They said that some may not even know they're Cylons until they're needed... sleeper agents.

yeah, but *the test* should still have ferreted her out, wether she knew it or not
panty-stealing military mecha maniac
Shaka[Zulu]
Jedi Knight

Post by Shaka[Zulu] »

all in all though, maybe, perchance it does deserve at least a partial season to prove itself
panty-stealing military mecha maniac
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Agent Fisher wrote:
Spanky The Dolphin wrote:
Agent Fisher wrote:Well Baltar was rightabout that one guy.

So is Boomer on board the Galactica a Cylon or is she a human?
Um, I think they made it pretty clear that she was probably a Cylon, as all the rest at the station were, too.
no I mean on the BattleStar not at the station.

Well, given how they zoomed in on the Boomer-cylon at the end, they make it pretty clear that she's not only probably a Cylon, but her model is a pretty important sort of model, possibly this BSG's version of an Imperious Leader.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Shaka[Zulu] wrote:she may be... or not, considering that Adama ordered that everyone be tested -- no exceptions.

dammit im just so annoyed that there were absolutely no clues pointing that way -- I was more under the impression that it was either the prez' aide billy or the crewman (crewwoman?) givin him the play...

Baltar pulled the testing thing out of his ass. He got a lucky guess (that, or Lucifer's (for lack of anything better to call her) chip in his head pointed him in the right direction.) He probably didn't really test anyone.
Metrion Cascade
Village Idiot

Post by Metrion Cascade »

I hope that the Boomer on Galactica doesn't know she's a Cylon. That could lead to some drama - maybe she starts losing it trying to fight the Cylon programming?
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Damn it, does this have to turn into one of these threads... :|
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Boy, they sure like hammering in the "Maybe we deserve to be annihilated." theme, don't they?
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

The final run lacked shall we say....drama. It was a nice battle but I was annoyed by the fucking music. And Adama, please, there's no need to keep banging your head on that control panel. I mean really, once was already pusing it for me but I think he banged it three times during the battle.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Uraniun235 wrote:Boy, they sure like hammering in the "Maybe we deserve to be annihilated." theme, don't they?
Well, they're fatalistic ancestor-worshipping religious nuts. But that's okay, they're being pursued by a bunch of religious fundamentalist nutcase androids.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Damn it, does this have to turn into one of these threads... :|
If you're refering to the tinytext spoiler stuff... I agree. Just make a spoiler thread already! This copy and paste into Notepad gets old quick...

If that's not what you're talking about, oh well. I just needed to say that anyway. :)

I kinda liked it myself. Lack of a soundtrack pissed me off (aside from some wierd drum stuff), but it's sort of mitigated by the fact the original (I think the original) BSG soundtrack is apparently on sale now. Granted, all I've seen of it were the SciFi reruns I managed to catch, but it was decent.

There were some decent bits in this miniseries, mostly in the slower, "look at the casaulties/crew" parts.

And now I understand why they want to find Earth! Though maybe that's along the same lines as in the original, too. Having never seen the pilot, I always thought they jumped out after Earth went boom, and now wanted to go back for some reason. Evidently not though. Oh well.

And as to giving away the codes to some chick he "barely" met, I do remember them saying that he knew her for two years. So there was definately some preplanning into this...and maybe she, through him, pushed the Colonials into the uber-netowrk idea? Just a thought...
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Yeah, I'm so sick of seeing like a page and a half of little dots and lines, so I'm forced to hit quote to read anything at all.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

Well, that went from mediocre to crap fast. Although, I was surprised by you know what! Have to give them credit for that one.
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

RogueIce wrote:
Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Damn it, does this have to turn into one of these threads... :|
If you're refering to the tinytext spoiler stuff... I agree. Just make a spoiler thread already! This copy and paste into Notepad gets old quick...

If that's not what you're talking about, oh well. I just needed to say that anyway. :)

I kinda liked it myself. Lack of a soundtrack pissed me off (aside from some wierd drum stuff), but it's sort of mitigated by the fact the original (I think the original) BSG soundtrack is apparently on sale now. Granted, all I've seen of it were the SciFi reruns I managed to catch, but it was decent.

There were some decent bits in this miniseries, mostly in the slower, "look at the casaulties/crew" parts.

And now I understand why they want to find Earth! Though maybe that's along the same lines as in the original, too. Having never seen the pilot, I always thought they jumped out after Earth went boom, and now wanted to go back for some reason. Evidently not though. Oh well.

And as to giving away the codes to some chick he "barely" met, I do remember them saying that he knew her for two years. So there was definately some preplanning into this...and maybe she, through him, pushed the Colonials into the uber-netowrk idea? Just a thought...
Well, the Cylons have been away for almost half a century, undoubtedly working infiltrators into human society. I suppose all these infiltrators would've had some effect, but it doesn't excuse some of the idiocy shown by the Colonials.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

I'm just pissed that it feels like there should still be another episode or two left. :evil:

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:I'm just pissed that it feels like there should still be another episode or two left. :evil:
It's all a clever set up for the eventual series. :)

Either that or we will forever be left hanging, because the ratings weren't good enough. In which case, damn you hating bastards who didn't watch it, or who had others not watch it because of your ranting, straight to eternal Hell!
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

anyone else notice they were using missles as the primary long range weapons?

Could they have been nuclear?
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Typhonis 1 wrote:anyone else notice they were using missles as the primary long range weapons?

I believe it was stated in the programme that they were nukes.

TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:
Typhonis 1 wrote:anyone else notice they were using missles as the primary long range weapons?

I believe it was stated in the programme that they were nukes.
They didnt seem to be nukes in the final battle. Did anyone notice that. Why would'nt the Basestar use them and how come the Galactica didnt fire some big anti-ship missile back?
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE
Rubberanvil
Jedi Master

Post by Rubberanvil »

SylasGaunt wrote:and how many damn missiles do those Raiders carry yeesh..
I'm guessing at least six to maybe 12 or 16 missiles per raider.Getting an accurate number is a bit hard as the camera doesn't stick with one raider enough to know, Or the raider(s) either switch weapons after firing a set, or it destroyed.

The Basestars can easily have a couple hundred missiles at the very minimum. Through the ROF is a bit dodgy as one moment they launching a couple dozen in seconds to 3-6 missiles in a minute.

Could anyone tell how large or small the missiles are?
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Roughly the size of an oil drum?

SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Well the first missile they hit the Galactica with was a nuke, the missile launched Colonial 1 was a nuke, and the ones they hit the civvie transports with were nukes. The only thing they don't seem to use nukes on is other fighters (and I noticed they did a lot of cutting in the final battle sequence so we didn't actually see the missiles detonate, or if we did it was just a split-second glimpse.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

RogueIce wrote:Either that or we will forever be left hanging, because the ratings weren't good enough. In which case, damn you hating bastards who didn't watch it, or who had others not watch it because of your ranting, straight to eternal Hell!
Oh please! If there isn't a new series, it will be due to the failure of the revival pilot on its merits —or lack thereof.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I saw only a little bit of it last night. The scenes I saw were Baltar and 'Lucy the Cylon', where she was talking about the chip in his head, and scenes where Apollo(?) was facing off with a gun-weilding nutjob asking for "safe passage off station, and an untraceable jumpship".

:roll:

No, I'm not giving it another chance. I have a low tolerance for stupidity.

Especially if some of the spoilers I've been reading are true.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

RogueIce wrote:Either that or we will forever be left hanging, because the ratings weren't good enough. In which case, damn you hating bastards who didn't watch it, or who had others not watch it because of your ranting, straight to eternal Hell!
Unless someone here is actually working for them, it's highly unlikely the viewership of this board would have any impact at all on the Nielson ratings for any TV show.
Actually, it is... in the original, the Galactica and her refugee fleet go looking for Earth after the 12 Colonies were destroyed by the Cylons.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

SylasGaunt wrote:

Well the first missile they hit the Galactica with was a nuke, the missile launched Colonial 1 was a nuke, and the ones they hit the civvie transports with were nukes. The only thing they don't seem to use nukes on is other fighters (and I noticed they did a lot of cutting in the final battle sequence so we didn't actually see the missiles detonate, or if we did it was just a split-second glimpse.
No, the Cylons never launched a nuke at Colonial One. Apollo tied the ship's EMP generators into it's FTL drives to simulate a nuclear blast so the Cylons would go away.