The Twilight War

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Stravo wrote:Hold on Hold on. Maybe it wasn't clear but Data is intended to replace the standard grunt battle droids, the skinny little "Roger Roger" ones NOT the super battle doids. They are indeed suprerior to Data for their role.
Stavo, SW requires no droid technology from the UFR, zero, zip, nilch, nada, none.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Crown wrote:
Stravo wrote:Hold on Hold on. Maybe it wasn't clear but Data is intended to replace the standard grunt battle droids, the skinny little "Roger Roger" ones NOT the super battle doids. They are indeed suprerior to Data for their role.
Stavo, SW requires no droid technology from the UFR, zero, zip, nilch, nada, none.
Unless Dooku wants them to make a deal with the devil to bring them closer to him and his faction. It will be harder to say that we're just being dragged into this war if suddenly millions of Datas are fighting clone troopers and killing TOS redshirts.

and besides I disagree on that matter. The Roger Roger droids are clearly inferior to something like Data that can think and show as almost as much initiative and creative thinking as a clone. Its ergomnomically more efficient because they can pick up and use most GR equiment.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Stravo wrote:
Crown wrote:
Unless Dooku wants them to make a deal with the devil to bring them closer to him and his faction. It will be harder to say that we're just being dragged into this war if suddenly millions of Datas are fighting clone troopers and killing TOS redshirts.
Ahh, another 'plot point', gotta start watching for those.
and besides I disagree on that matter. The Roger Roger droids are clearly inferior to something like Data that can think and show as almost as much initiative and creative thinking as a clone. Its ergomnomically more efficient because they can pick up and use most GR equiment.
Threepio and Artoo are two droids which have demostrated an intelligence and 'sentience' far and above Data. Luke's hand, and Vaders entire body demonstrate SW ability to mimick human function on par with Data (and I believe the super battle droids also displayed this), you are arguing that Data exceeds one area of design requirement in one specific example of SW droid technology while at the same time ignoring an entire plethora of examples of SW droid technology.

That is utterly absurd. I chased a troll, not one week ago, across the forums of this board for this exact same mindset.

Regardless if one droid in SW has ever demonstrated the same performance of Data or not, it is beyond a shadow of doubt that from all the droid technology presented in SW (the movies alone without even having to look to the EU which shreds this thought even further) the UFP has absolutely nothing to offer to the SW Galaxy in terms of droid technology.
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Crown wrote: That is utterly absurd. I chased a troll, not one week ago, across the forums of this board for this exact same mindset.
Check back on the debate I was there attacking him as well for his unsubstantiated bullshit and he claimed Data was superior to ALL Wars droids a claim which is absurd and he was soundly flamed for it.

All I'm claiming IN THE STORY is that Data is superior to the Roger Roger droids in Intelligence, agility, strength, etc.

At no point did they say "Oh..please show us how to build droids, we could learn so much." Point in fact they will IMPROVE on Data's design by reinforcing his skeletal structure and inserting armor plating under his skin. The Separatists are hardly learning anything. They're taking a promising design and mass producing it after tweaking it.

Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Stravo wrote:
Crown wrote: That is utterly absurd. I chased a troll, not one week ago, across the forums of this board for this exact same mindset.
Check back on the debate I was there attacking him as well for his unsubstantiated bullshit and he claimed Data was superior to ALL Wars droids a claim which is absurd and he was soundly flamed for it.

All I'm claiming IN THE STORY is that Data is superior to the Roger Roger droids in Intelligence, agility, strength, etc.

At no point did they say "Oh..please show us how to build droids, we could learn so much." Point in fact they will IMPROVE on Data's design by reinforcing his skeletal structure and inserting armor plating under his skin. The Separatists are hardly learning anything. They're taking a promising design and mass producing it after tweaking it.
:banghead:

Stravo, I will repeat it again; Data demonstrates no technological design aspect which is beyond SW tech. You yourself said that the superbattle droids exceed Data, why oh why, will they go to the trouble of opening up a new production line based on Data when they already have a superbattle droid production line?

Why, oh why, would they even require UFP's permission to copy Data's design, when it is already with in their reach? Why, oh why, would they even point out to Data's intelligence as an asset when a droid built by an 8 year old child exceeds it? Why, oh why, would it even come up in conversation with the UFP representatives when all the technology required to build a 'Data' is within their grasp?

I can 'accept' that Data 'inspired' them to re-think their battledroid design, to incoperate components prelavant in protocoldroids and astromechdroids, but the idea of requiring the UFP's 'permission' is absurd.
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Because you want to have your ally feel like he is vital to the war effort. If you thought I was trying to insinuate that they couldn't do a Data without the Fed's permission then I apologize because that was not what was the intention behind the "getting the permission" exchange. It was more like "Hey you are a valuable ally, we like your tank design can you outsource it to us or give us license so we can build it." as opposed to "Hmm...we like your tank design, you know what, we're going to build them too only better."

Which would appeal to the Federation and help preserve the delicate relationship?

El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

Crown wrote:
Stravo wrote:

:banghead:

Stravo, I will repeat it again; Data demonstrates no technological design aspect which is beyond SW tech. You yourself said that the superbattle droids exceed Data, why oh why, will they go to the trouble of opening up a new production line based on Data when they already have a superbattle droid production line?

Why, oh why, would they even require UFP's permission to copy Data's design, when it is already with in their reach? Why, oh why, would they even point out to Data's intelligence as an asset when a droid built by an 8 year old child exceeds it? Why, oh why, would it even come up in conversation with the UFP representatives when all the technology required to build a 'Data' is within their grasp?

I can 'accept' that Data 'inspired' them to re-think their battledroid design, to incoperate components prelavant in protocoldroids and astromechdroids, but the idea of requiring the UFP's 'permission' is absurd.
What about Human Replica Droids? I dont recall when Shadows of the Empire said they were first around, but Data is far more manueverable and flexible in combat than the standard battle droids, and may be less susceptible to Jedi attacks by being able to get up from force push and have enough mobility to try and avoid lightsaber battles? I thought Human Replica Droids were closer to TESB than the prequel trilogy, so maybe that technology hasnt been developed yet. They were both rare and expensive, so maybe Data can be mass produced easier - or am I just going over old territory here?
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Stravo wrote:Because you want to have your ally feel like he is vital to the war effort. If you thought I was trying to insinuate that they couldn't do a Data without the Fed's permission then I apologize because that was not what was the intention behind the "getting the permission" exchange. It was more like "Hey you are a valuable ally, we like your tank design can you outsource it to us or give us license so we can build it." as opposed to "Hmm...we like your tank design, you know what, we're going to build them too only better."

Which would appeal to the Federation and help preserve the delicate relationship?
Stravo you pointed this out before, and I accepted it as a plot point and moved on, it was your later statement which started this little debacle;
For a second there I actually thought that you were stating that SW couldn't build a 'Data-like' droid on thier own. I'll let it go.
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Crown wrote:
Stravo wrote:and besides I disagree on that matter. The Roger Roger droids are clearly inferior to something like Data that can think and show as almost as much initiative and creative thinking as a clone. Its ergomnomically more efficient because they can pick up and use most GR equiment.
For a second there I actually thought that you were stating that SW couldn't build a 'Data-like' droid on thier own. I'll let it go.
No thats not what I meant. Why redesign something from scratch when you have a working model you can use?

Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

The_Lumberjack wrote:What about Human Replica Droids?

HR droids were said to be 'banned' in the Empire, IIRC. Even if the book said otherwise it is in error, as Luke's prosthetic hand in TESB clearly shows that HR droid tech is well within the technological reach of SW.
I dont recall when Shadows of the Empire said they were first around, but Data is far more manueverable and flexible in combat than the standard battle droids, and may be less susceptible to Jedi attacks by being able to get up from force push and have enough mobility to try and avoid lightsaber battles?
The droids that were pushed down by the Force not only didn't get up, they didn't even try which means that either their internal components were damaged by the impact of the fall (poor design really), or when the Jedi pushed them, they also used to Force to muck up their internal processors which means that whether or not they are HR, they are still suseptable to that little gambit.
I thought Human Replica Droids were closer to TESB than the prequel trilogy, so maybe that technology hasnt been developed yet.
As I mentioned above TESB also shows Luke's hand, but AotC also shows Anakins arm, so no the technology was very much withing the grasp of the Prequels Trilogy. So that part of the book is clearly in contradiction with Cannon, and it also quite nicely contradicts other EU material (like the Age of the Sith comics).
They were both rare and expensive, so maybe Data can be mass produced easier - or am I just going over old territory here?
As demostrated above, that asertation does not jive with cannon, and no it isn't that much of 'old territory' as this is the first time I have come across it.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Stravo wrote:
Crown wrote:
Stravo wrote:and besides I disagree on that matter. The Roger Roger droids are clearly inferior to something like Data that can think and show as almost as much initiative and creative thinking as a clone. Its ergomnomically more efficient because they can pick up and use most GR equiment.
No thats not what I meant. Why redesign something from scratch when you have a working model you can use?
You are killing me here.
  • Why not start from scratch when your knowledge of droid technology vastly exceeds whatever Data displays.
  • Why not start from scratch when the model is (by your own admission) inferior to the task that you want to use it in, and you will have to improve upon it anyway?
  • Why not start from scratch when you must first reverse engineer an inferior design before you start improving the design.
  • Why not start from scratch when if you use the 'model' as a start base, when it doesn't even posses similar technology and internal systems of which you have a plethora of?
  • Whe not start from scratch when whatever different systems are inside the already existing 'model' do not offer any kind of substatial improvement over systems you already have?
  • Why not start from scratch, when if you choose to copy the systems inside the model, it will require a vast change in your manufacturing infrastructure, when there is no gain to do so?
  • Why not start from scratch, when the only characteristic that is significantly present in this model, is that appears humanoid, when all you need to do is say; 'take the superbattle droid RFP's and add one more; we want it to have humanoid characteristics'?
Do I need to go on?
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Crown,

Point conceded. It is solely a plot point nothing else.

Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Stravo wrote:Crown,

Stravo I don't care about the plot point, it's your soul, your soul Stravo ... I am trying to rescue it! (prepare for emoticon bomb)

:wink: :P :) :D :lol: 8)
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Crown wrote:
Stravo wrote:Crown,

Stravo I don't care about the plot point, it's your soul, your soul Stravo ... I am trying to rescue it! (prepare for emoticon bomb)

:wink: :P :) :D :lol: 8)
I feel so....clean. :wink:

BTW this little exchange just gave me a wonderful idea for a scene with Picard when he discovers just how much the Federation has been hoodwinked by Dooku.

2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Crown wrote:
I thought Human Replica Droids were closer to TESB than the prequel trilogy, so maybe that technology hasnt been developed yet.
As I mentioned above TESB also shows Luke's hand, but AotC also shows Anakins arm, so no the technology was very much withing the grasp of the Prequels Trilogy. So that part of the book is clearly in contradiction with Cannon, and it also quite nicely contradicts other EU material (like the Age of the Sith comics).
Wasn't Anakins arm just a plain robotic arm (where you could look at it and plainly see it was robotic) as opposed to Lukes hand which actually looked real?
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

2000AD wrote:Wasn't Anakins arm just a plain robotic arm (where you could look at it and plainly see it was robotic) as opposed to Lukes hand which actually looked real?
Please tell me that you are joking?

Yes Anakin's arm didn't have a cover, are you suggesting that because they didn't put a thin sheet of metal (molded to look arm-like) over the endo skeleton which, from inspection, looks like a human's skeleton and we can thus conclude that the arm already functions like a human arm, and didn't graft a layer of fake skin over the cover, then they can't?

Come on man.
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Starvo, there is a reason why the Sepratists use the Roger Roger droids, despite the fact that they suck in comparison to the best SW droid tech can produce. It's the same reason the Imps used the average TIE fighter en mass, despite the fact that their tech could easily allow them to produce better: they're easy to mass produce. Cannon evidence backs this up with the droids. In AOTC, we see them being rapidly made on automated assembly lines. HRDs are supposed to be very expensive, and thus probably aren't easy to mass produce. Therefore, I find it highly unlikely that Data's design or appearance could be used in such a fashion any time soon by anybody.

Sorry for doing this to you; you're my favorite fanfic writter, but this whole thing with Data just seems too far outside the bounds of reason.
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Another point toward the small task force sent to attack TOS shadowfleet(to jump back about ten posts) is that sneaking a larger force past whatever guard force the Republic put on the wormhole could have been impractical.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Crown wrote:
2000AD wrote:Wasn't Anakins arm just a plain robotic arm (where you could look at it and plainly see it was robotic) as opposed to Lukes hand which actually looked real?
Please tell me that you are joking?

Yes Anakin's arm didn't have a cover, are you suggesting that because they didn't put a thin sheet of metal (molded to look arm-like) over the endo skeleton which, from inspection, looks like a human's skeleton and we can thus conclude that the arm already functions like a human arm, and didn't graft a layer of fake skin over the cover, then they can't?

Come on man.
Having re-watched AoTC last night i conceed that the arm does look like a human skeleton, though the fingers look a bit long to me.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

A nice surprise for those not expecting it. Sorry for the delays folks but things have been incredibly hectic at work, but there are some changes on the horizon that will hopefully change things.

Keep an eye out from similar updates for my other stories.

Chapter 16: Feasting on Ashes

“He that is robb'd, not wanting what is stolen,
Let him not know 't, and he's not robb'd at all.”
Othello, Act 3 scene iii

The dinner reception planned for the evening had been all but ruined by the general attack on Coruscant the evening before. But Supreme Chancellor Palpatine had been adamant that the dinner reception would go as scheduled. He would not allow the actions of the Separatists to mar the coming alliance between the Federation and the Republic.

Kirk led his entourage into the reception area and took a moment to uncomfortably adjust the collar of his dress uniform. Not his favorite uniform he knew that in these days of high diplomacy he would be wearing it more often than he would like.

Spock was quiet and reserved as he stood slightly behind Kirk flanked by Number One. She was never comfortable in these social gatherings that humans seemed to enjoy so much. He could see the tension in her neck and her eyes were constantly darting between the small clusters of groups in the spacious reception hall located in Palpatine’s private residence.

Doctor Dehner stood by Kirk’s side looking elegant with head held up high on her swan like neck. Gary watched her intently from his place near the rear of the entourage. Lee Kelso smiled as he noticed the attention.

“So, you would rather take a bath in the intermix chamber than spend another minute with her, huh?” Lee asked quietly.

Gary shot him a withering glare.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about but that woman and I are like matter and antimatter.”

“I know, an explosive combination my friend and I bet even Mr. Spock can see the attraction.” Kelso replied and suppressed a chuckle. Gary shook his head and frowned.

Palpatine smiled warmly as the Federation entourage walked in. He glided over to them wearing long luxurious black robes with deep royal purple lining that dropped down the sides in an intricate interlocked pattern of weaves. He limped slightly for a moment as he came to a stop. The word was that the assassination attempt against him led by Wookie pirates and Mandalorian commandoes had very nearly succeeded. Meerlinda had relayed to Kirk that just how close Palpatine had come to death was being suppressed in the interests of planetary stability.

Coruscant was still reeling from the planet wide attacks. The Separatists had planned their attack meticulously. Every facet of the planetary government and operations did not escape the attack. Thankfully no senators had been killed, but the pro war parties senators offices or homes and villas were bombed, banking accounts sliced, family members threatened and power services to most of the commercial districts has been cut for hours before it could be restored. The peace faction had been untouched in every way.

This of course was now widening the rift between the war and peace factions as hawkish senators sorted through the burning rubble of their homes the peace faction senators were having secret meetings on how to best deal with the latest threat to security. Though the pro war faction would hardly believe it, many in the peace faction felt as betrayed and angry at the attacks. They had spent a year locked in mortal combat with the pro-war faction on the future of the war and possible peace negotiations and this single act by the Separatists had now virtually sealed the fate of the peace movement.

Bail Organna was too experienced to believe that the peace movement could rebound from such a public relations disaster. His eyes narrowed on Palpatine as he limped over to Kirk and the others, accompanied by his ever present aide Sly Moore. The Supreme Chancellor had made no public statements yet. He was silent on the attacks other than issuing a call for calm and reassuring the population that all was well.

His silence however did not extend to his supporters who made it abundantly clear that the Separatists would never have felt emboldened enough to make such a general strike against the Republic capital if it did not feel that the government was divided. The pro war faction was laying the blame for this squarely at the feet of the peace faction.

Bail continued watching the older ex-senator from Naboo. Palpatine was sly. Many had been surprised by his steady rise to power out of general obscurity but Bail had seen how his friend Bail Antilles was outmaneuvered for the position of Supreme Chancellor. It was almost unheard of for a senator from an outlying world to ascend to such a position over a candidate from the core worlds.

Palpatine was skilled in not saying much but letting others say what he wanted to. It was difficult to list issues that the Chancellor felt strongly about. He seemed to be a champion of everyone’s cause without actually taking the risk of standing for that position.

It was a trend that was disturbing to the nobleman. How could you lead, especially in a time of war when you did not stand for anything?

“There’s no need for me to ask what is on your mind.” Padme noted with a soft smile as she took a sip of a drink and watched the Federation entourage as they wound their way through the throng of senators and dignitaries from over a thousand worlds.

“No, and I do not need to tell you that Palpatine all but owns the Federation agenda. He had guided them like puppets through the labyrinthine bowels of our fine system and he has managed to make the prospect of entering a galactic civil war to be a desirable outcome. They haven’t the slightest clue of the butcher’s bill that waits for them.”

“I didn’t realize you had ever actually seen a butcher, Bail.” she offered with a wink.

Bail could not help himself and started chuckling. He smiled, reached out and gently squeezed Padme’s hand.

“I do not know what I would do without you, Padme.”

“You would do as you have always done, Bail. Be the good man that you are.” she replied but she felt awkward at his touch. Whenever he touched her, she thought of Anakin. And lately her thoughts of Anakin had been dark and troubled.

He watched as Palpatine warmly clasped Kirk’s hand and shook it.

“Captain, it is my pleasure to see you here in my humble estate despite all our recent troubles.”

Kirk smiled and laughed softly.

“This estate is hardly humble Supreme Chancellor. Our own president’s estates are no where near this lavish or extravagant. You have my compliments on the architecture and artwork outside.”

Palpatine chuckled as he took Kirk by the arm with one hand and offered his other free hand to Doctor Dehner.

“Back on Naboo, Captain I was considered one of the common men. My household was probably no larger than one of the cabins on your starship. I am not someone who revels in lavish shows of wealth and power. But here on Coruscant one must adapt to the environment and culture and the people here are accustomed to their Supreme Chancellor living at a level commensurate to the Ceremonial position.”

“Jedi Farstrider tells me that your previous Supreme Chancellor ran into some trouble before he was voted out of office.” Dehner noted as she walked alongside the man. There was a magnetic quality to him that drew your attention. Sly Moore was quietly walking slightly behind him, head inclined forward as she politely but unobtrusively listened to the conversation.

Palpatine frowned for a moment.

“Ah, Chancellor Valorum. He was a good man brought down by the corruption raging around him. The last straw was the weakness of his leadership that allowed the Trade Federation to blockade my world. He was a good friend, I never believed the rumors about him.” Palpatine replied.

“Rumors?” Kirk asked curiously.

“There were some rumors that the corruption of his administration did not just stop at his aides and staff. That he himself was as corrupt as the rest of his administration.” Sly replied coolly.

“I do not believe such horrible rumors. I knew Valorum personally and he was a good man.”

“Sometimes you can be far too trusting Supreme Chancellor.” Sly interjected.

Palpatine smiled softly at Moore.

“She is far too protective of me, Captain.”

“A good second can be that way sir.” Kirk added and eyed Number One out of the corner of his eye. She was standing with Spock but her eyed were slowly wandering around the large room. A rotunda like area for the guests was adorned with all manner of art and statues, gold and platinum lined the stairwells and gems encrusted the lining in succinct patterns that amplified the ambient light around them creating a kaleidoscope of colors spinning lazily.

There were two levels to the room. Long tables occupied the center of the main level. Food of all manner and variety decorated the tables in inviting dishes. The guests on the main level were the primary people that the Federation had been dealing with all this time, mostly the highest level of senators, politicians and even the most senior bureaucrats. The fact that even this advanced society still had such people comforted him. It was a sign that some things never changed.

On the upper level junior senators and minor officials milled around each other speaking softly and occasionally glanced down at the level below to get a look at the aliens from another galaxy that were coming to join the war effort.

Number One did not like being on display.

“This shindig is a little too high class for the likes of me.” Gary muttered and suddenly nodded politely to a senator that walked past them while quickly swallowing a ball of what he assumed was rice.

“Don’t blow this now Gary. The Captain is counting on us to make a good impression.” Kelso replied.

Gary smirked.

“Trust me, Lee. I will be the model of the Federation’s finest.” Gary stated dramatically and winked at his old friend. Lee Kelso shook his head slowly and muttered something under his breath.

The doors opened behind them and the pair of Ceremonial guards flanking each side of the door snapped to attention. Three Jedi strode in and the doors sealed shut again. Outside the chamber several clone troopers were conspicuously stationed in the corridor. There would be no chances taken by the Republic of another attack on the Federation entourage.

Meerlinda Farstrider walked along side Obi Wan and Anakin as they approached the Supreme Chancellor. They had just left a long meeting with the Jedi council and they were all troubled by Obi Wan’s discovery.

The attacker that led the assassination attempt against Kirk and his crew was a rogue Jedi, utilizing an unknown form of Force talent that allowed for manipulation of shadows and darkness. Yoda cautioned the others that this did not immediately translate into a user of the darkside.

The news of this odd force user and Obi Wan’s discovery of a padawan braid indicated several things to the Jedi, all of them disturbing. One, the force user had been a Jedi at one point or was being trained by an ex-Jedi. Only the Jedi among all the Force using cults used the padawan braid as a mark of distinction. Tanis, as the shadow warrior called himself, mentioned a New Order and information was trickling in of gathering Fallen Jedi out on the Rim.

The word was that Dooku was gathering all Dark and Fallen Jedi to him. This New Order may be the result of that strategy. Either way it did not bode well for the Jedi or the war effort if what Mace Windu suspected came true.

The Republic forces were fighting a stalemate because of the sheer skill of the Jedi commanders that led them. The Separatists could not easily counter the Force using abilities of the Republic’s battlefield commanders.

But what of the Separatists began fielding Dark or Fallen Jedi as the republic did?

The year of bloody slaughter might become years or decades of the same slaughter. The true intent of this New Order had to be ascertained quickly.

That job fell to Bastion. He would leave for the Rim immediately and try to infiltrate the New Order. Meanwhile Obi Wan and Anakin would continue their ongoing mission of guarding the Federation entourage but Obi Wan was troubled by a stray comment from the wizened Jedi Master Yoda.

“Work well you do with this Federation Captain.”

Anakin and Obi Wan exchanged wary glances. They already knew what the old teacher was thinking. Anakin was understandably not happy with the possibility of continuing the partnership with his teacher. Anakin was chafing to go it alone as he did during the first year of the war. Now with the prospect of having to work under Obi Wan’s shadow for the foreseeable future he was sullen and quiet.

Meerlinda was worried as well. She was taken aside by Master Sassee Tin who quietly spoke to her.

“Stay close to Kirk. When the time comes he will need you to show him the way.”

“The way to what, Master?” she asked softly.

The old master was silent for a moment, as if listening to far off voices.

“To do the will of the Force, Meerlinda. You will understand when the time is right. Listen with your heart to what the Force tells you not your head. We have all been listening with our heads and it has led us down this road.”

“But Master I don’t understand.” Meerlinda objected.

Sassee Tin gripped her forearm.

“You must listen Meerlinda and do as your heart tells you. Kirk must walk a path to complete his destiny and only you can recognize when this is to be done.”

“Will he walk the path?” She asked.

The old Master nodded slowly.

“He will walk the path because he must walk it. He will have no choice. But you, Meerlinda, yours is the far more difficult decision because what you must do will go against everything we believe. In the end you must recognize his path and yours and you must walk it knowing full well the price that will be paid.”

“A price? Master, I’m not sure I unders—”

“If you wish this war to be the twilight of the Republic and the Federation then you will take the safest road.” Tin whispered.

Meerlinda stared into the master’s eyes. The next question came unexpected from her lips.

“And the other road?”

Tin said nothing for a moment. The question hung in the air like a sword dangling over both Jedi.

“Pain and sorrow.” he said darkly and turned away from her. He started walking away. Meerlinda watched him walk, her mind in a whirlwind of confusion and angst, and saw Master Windu step in to try and speak to his fellow council member. Tin ignored him and continued walking.

Mace spared Yoda a glance. The Jedi Master shook his head slowly as if to discourage the other to not pursue the conversation.

“What did he tell you?” Mace asked Meerlinda intently.

“I think…the master would like that to be left between he and I.” she replied hesitantly. Mace’s brow furrowed in concern. Meerlinda bowed her head and joined Obi Wan and Anakin.

Bastion stood waiting for them in the lift lobby. His smile was not as bright as usual but he managed to slip an arm around Obi Wan and Anakin’s shoulders.

“So adventures for us all eh? I pity you. The next few months you will be relegated to being a mother hen for diplomats and that Federation captain, traveling the core worlds, tasting the fine exotic locales of Coruscant, Alderaan, Bpfash.”

“I wasn’t aware Bpfash was in the core?” Obi Wan wondered aloud.

“Details, details my fine young Jedi Master.” Bastion replied dismissively and waved his hands as the doors to the lift opened. He led them into the lift, pulling them along by the grip of his arms around their shoulders. “Meanwhile, I, Bastion dashing young Jedi Knight must brave the foul nether regions of the Rim.”

“I’m from the Rim.” Anakin protested. Meerlinda snorted softly as she stepped into lift after the others.

“And I have always offered my condolences for that fact Ani.” Bastion replied and ruffled Anakin’s hair eliciting an all too rare smile from the sullen young Jedi. The doors to the lift snapped shut. “Alone I will penetrate the nefarious New Order and bring it down around Dooku’s ears.” Bastion said the words ‘New Order’ with a mocking ominous tone. Meerlinda shook her head. “Then I will return to the Jedi temple, my achievements unaccounted for and unnoticed while you and Obi Wan here take the Federation ambassadors on a tour of the fire gems of Andros and eat delicacies from a hundred worlds, I will be sitting in a med bay tending my wounds.” Bastion lamented.

The doors to the lift opened.

“Bastion, as any Jedi knows from his days as a padawan, the life of a Jedi is one of sacrifice and challenge.” Obi Wan began

“We don’t do what we do expecting rewards.” Anakin added.

“I just think you’re whining too much.” Meerlinda finished and the Jedi filed out of the lift leaving Bastion standing in the lift, hands on his hips mouth agape in outrage. He began shaking his head ruefully as he spoke.

“And I call you people my friends?!”

The assembled Jedi laughed as Bastion reluctantly joined them and they left the temple for Palpatine’s personal residence on the other side of the planet.

Meerlinda’s thoughts snapped back to the present as she reached the Supreme Chancellor. She and the others bowed their heads respectfully before she spoke.

“Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, I bring the sincerest apologies of Master Windu and Yoda who are not able to attend this gathering due to the planetary emergency.”

“Of course.” Palpatine replied with an easy smile, but then worry creased his brow. “In hear that there have been attacks against Jedi holdings out on the Rim.” he added quietly.

“Indeed there has, Supreme Chancellor. Master Yoda fears that this attack against you and Coruscant in general were merely the first stages of an attempt to decapitate our command structure as Jedi and our facilities across the rim have fallen under simultaneous attack timed to the attack here on Coruscant. Unfortunately there were losses.” Obi Wan explained.

“Losses that we will make the Separatists pay for dearly I assure you Supreme Chancellor.” Anakin added hotly.

“I have no doubt of that Anakin.” Palpatine replied with a gentle pat on the shoulder. “But I have taken measures to help in this matter. Detachments of clone troops will be deployed to protect the more lightly populated and automated Jedi facilities allowing you to concentrate your forces more effectively on the Rim.”

“We thank you for your assistance Supreme Chancellor.”

“There are not many clone troopers that we can spare at the moment, Chancellor, what with our recent losses in the Korvis cluster.” Obi Wan noted with concern.

“It is the least that the Republic can do to help the Jedi who have shouldered much of the burden of this war. Your losses have been quite heavy and we must all take up some of the burden if we are to see this conflict to its conclusion.”

“Perhaps the Federation can look into providing security on the Rim. As I understand it much of the fighting there is limited to skirmishes and not full blown fleet engagements which our starships would not be well suited for until undergoing the promised refits.”

“You would do that, Captain?” Palpatine asked seriously.

“Well, I’m not in command obviously but it could be my suggestion.”

“If our fact finding mission proves successful.” Dehner added and spared Kirk a warning gaze. He was making promises that they simply did not have the authority to offer.

“Of course. We always assume that fact Doctor.” Sly Moore assured her.

“The rim.” Palpatine sighed. “Captain, I cannot tell you the pain I feel when I think how far things have fallen out on the rim. It has become a place of refuge for the enemies of the Separatists. They have had sympathizers there since the days of the Blockade of Naboo. I thought that they could be brought in line with stern diplomacy and generous outlays of cash and resources and instead we get in a knife in the back as they gleefully assist Dooku and his Separatists in dismembering this Republic.”

“Perhaps the Federation can have a role other than war time ally. As an honest broker we can hear grievances from both sides and forge some understanding.”

“A mutual accord with the Rim? Not very likely Captain.” Sly Moore replied softly.

“I see that your staff speaks for you again, Supreme Chancellor, but I am curious.” Bail began as he stepped into the gathered circle. Bail’s appearance in Palpatine’s small circle drew the attention of many on the second level and soon the junior senators and closets to the railing above only pretended to speak to each other as they turned their attention to the developing debate below. Padme reluctantly followed. She knew better than directly challenge Palpatine, his popularity back on Naboo was extraordinary. She had been told in no uncertain terms by the Queen that the Supreme Chancellor could count on the full support of his homeworld in all things. Naboo was proud that finally one of her sons had ascended to the position of Supreme Chancellor and no one, not even a respected senator and ex-Queen would ruin that honor.

“What your position is on the Captain’s wise suggestion? He is offering the Federation as a honest broker and potential diplomatic ally. We have been discussing war and war making potential. The shipyards of Alderaan are gearing up for an influx of Federation vessels to refit yet why are we not discussing what the Federation can do now, immediately to help stabilize an already chaotic situation particularly out on the Rim.”

Kirk and Dehner looked from Bail to Palpatine.

“I like this guy.” Kelso noted to Gary.

“Who? The stiff in the overgrown turtleneck cardigan? He’s a dreamer. I don’t much have lots of hope for a dreamer in this day and age.” Gary replied as he started drinking from his glass.

“Gary, that guy is for peace. Palpatine and his crowd are itching to get us into this war and he’s thinking of the big picture.” Kelso protested.

“Or missing the picture my friend.” Gary countered. Kelso shook his head.

“Bail, my friend, as usual my respect and admiration for you grow whenever we cross words. The peace faction has seen the results of negotiation and dialogue last night when our world and those out on the Rim experienced heinous attacks. We can no longer allow the angels of our better natures drive the agenda for this war. We will not win this war by talking Senator Organna.”

“Supreme Chancellor, all we have is the hope that the slaughter will end. As a warrior and a leader I think I speak for many when I say that I would rather see this bloodshed end at the point of a pen than a sword. I would rather see worlds leave the Republic than see them laid waste as Alderaan almost was recently.”

“Here, here!” some senators on the second level shouted their support.

“And tell me Senator Organna, did the attack on Alderaan not give you a new understanding of the foe we face? Did you not see to what lengths they are willing to go to win this conflict.” a soft yet regal voice drifted down from the second level. Everyone turned their attention to the new comer’s voice.

Kirk looked up and was instantly impressed by the women standing at the top of the stairs leading up to the second level. She was a tall striking woman, wearing a long white gown, her hair up in a pair of strange buns on each side of her head. She moved with a slow measured step and her presence demanded attention and respect as she descended the stairs.

Bail glided over to the stairs and extended his hand and took the new comer’s hand and helped her down the last few steps. She nodded her thanks to him and Kirk could see that her eyes were bright and sharp as she regarded each of the people in Palpatine’s circle.

“A distinct pleasure. Allow me to introduce the junior senator from Chandrilla, Mon Mothma.” Palpatine indicated the young woman with a wave of her hand. “She has recently become one of my most vocal supporters.”

“I was elected by my people to best represent Chandrilla’s interests and we are near the front lines of this war and though we have not yet come under direct attack I believe that the Supreme Chancellor is absolutely correct. Tyranny, no matter how pleasing the shape must be vehemently opposed if a free society is to thrive and endure.”

“I’m glad you have drawn from your vast experience Senator Mon Mothma.” Bail replied.

Mon Mothma smiled coolly.

“I have not needed my world to come under attack to see the folly of searching for peace in that nest of gundarks. No, Senator Organna, there can be no peace with Dooku and his Separatists because that is not what they seek. You are imputing into them characteristics that you wish them to have but there is no basis in fact for that conclusion.” Mon Mothma concluded.

Kirk and Dehner exchanged hooded glances.

“Enough, enough. I do not wish this to become a full blown debate when the entire point of this dinner is to enjoy each other’s company.” Palpatine protested.

“Indeed let us enjoy the company and leave the war drums alone for just one evening.” Padme said softly and slipped and hand onto Bail’s shoulder and squeezed it gently. Anakin’s eyes narrowed on the action and he pursed his lips.

“I for one found the exchange informative Supreme Chancellor.” Dehner noted.

“Doctor Dehner, perhaps you and I could have breakfast tomorrow on my estate. I would be happy to give you a female point of view on this matter and one not as entrenched as the others that I’m sure you have heard so far. I’ve only been in the Senate since the war started so you can get a fresh perspective that is not as tainted by political agendas as some you may have spoke to.” Mon Mothma added smiling kindly at the Doctor.

Dehner smiled neutrally.

“Of course, Senator, it would be my pleasure.”

“And Captain, I’m sure that Padme would be more than happy to host you in her estate for a light lunch and discuss matters along the lines of your suggestion of dialogue with the Rim.” Bail suggested.

Padme smiled tightly.

“Of course it would be my pleasure.” She did not enjoy being someone’s pawn in an attempt to blunt Palpatine’s own power plays.

“See, and we managed to keep politics out of that exchange.” Kirk noted dryly.

Palpatine chuckled and took Kirk by the elbow as he led him to the table behind them.

“Captain, I enjoy your candor. Too many in our military say what they think I want to hear. I value your views and am thinking on whether your government would be opposed to a suggestion.”

“I guess it would depend on the suggestion.” Kirk replied and glanced back at Dehner who was looking after him. Concerned sparked in her eyes. It was obvious that Palpatine was playing to Kirk and trying to curry his favor while he sicced his junior senator pit bull on her.

“I would like to have you as my liaison with your Federation. you would be based out of Coruscant and be my right hand in matters of security and our relations with our new ally. Such a position must go to someone I feel I can trust because of the sheer power and responsibility it would encompass.”

“Your liaison?” Kirk asked in disbelief.

“Indeed, Captain. The Supreme Chancellor and I have discussed this at length, especially after your brave deeds last night in taking matters into your own hands and saving the Federation mission from the Separatist assassins.” Sly Moore added.

“Without the Jedi we would have been killed.” Kirk protested.

“Of course Captain, but you are a man of action and I trust your judgment. You confronted each of us on the issues at hand, you have the respect of the peace faction and despite the current environment of hostility towards any peaceful settlement to this conflict they still have a powerful voice in the Senate.” Palpatine noted as he indicated for Kirk to try a fruit that was laid out on a sparkling crystal dish. Kirk reached out and took a hold of one and plucked it off the plate as Palpatine watched him closely.

“What do you say to Supreme Commander Federation forces of the Coruscant sector?”

Kirk could say nothing for a moment but he felt the intense gazes of both Palpatine and Sly Moore on him.

He was saved by a commotion near the entrance of the hall. Palpatine looked disappointed but Sly Moore’s gaze was bordering on lustful before she tore her eyes away from Kirk and looked to the front.

Kirk peered out as well and heard Bail Organna mutter “Oh no.” to himself.

A tall powerfully built man strode into the room, a cape draped over his left shoulder, a blaster prominently displayed at his hip and a chest literally covered in gleaming metals and brightly tasseled ribbon. His hair had cast iron gray streaks along his temples and his eyes were smoldering like a furnace. He moved with complete authority and confidence. A small squat astromech droid followed him obediently, green paneling on its domed head gleamed brilliantly and it was obvious that this droid was incredibly well taken care of and maintained.

The man glanced around the crowd and quickly sized up the situation and found what he was looking for. Spock and Number One quickly appeared by Kirk’s side. Spock leaned in closely and whispered.

“Unless I am mistaken that is Garm Bel-Iblis, Commander of the Correlian home sector fleets as well as Admiral of the 14th Assault fleet. He was the first Republic commander to score an overwhelming victory against the Separatists. The word is that he has not lost a major battle.”

“Let me guess a Palpatine supporter?” Kirk whispered back as he watched the impressive man stride over to them.

“No.” Kirk hid his surprise. “He is more hawkish than the Chancellor, having called for general bombardments of Separatist worlds. His view is that the Republic is handicapping itself by trying to fight anything less than a total war.” Spock answered.

Kirk glanced back at his Vulcan science officer.

“Mr. Spock, we have only been on Coruscant for two days, you have had access to their files for a little more than that and you know all this?” Kirk asked.

Spock nodded.

“It is my duty to make sure you have all the information that you need Captain. The logical thing to do was to memorize all the intelligence reports provided to us by the Republic as soon as possible.”

Kirk glanced over at Gary who was laughing with an unidentified young woman. Would he have been as efficient as Spock with the information he needed? He did not want to answer that question nor the rumbling in his heart that told him what he was beginning to suspect about his potential first officer’s qualifications.

“Garm Bel-Iblis. To what do I owe the honor of this visit?” Palpatine asked.

“Chancellor.” Iblis replied and gave a curt nod of his head. “I have come to see these new allies with my own eyes.”

“You mean our Federation friends? Why of course. This is Captain James T. Kirk and Doctor Elizabeth Dehner, representatives of the United Federation of Planets.”

“Captain James T. Kirk of the Starship Enterprise.” Kirk introduced himself and held out his hand. Dehner fought the urge to stiffen up in surprise. Kirk should know better than initiate physical contact based on Earth custom. What if Corellians were different? What if they viewed the initiation of physical contact as insulting, a challenge or worse? He had a long way to go if he wanted to make contact with alien life forms and civilizations.

Iblis eyed the hand as if it were diseased. He suddenly took it in a firm grip and Kirk stiffened as he felt the tendons and bones in his fingers squeezed in a dangerously tight grip.

“Enterprise is it?” Iblis asked stonily.

“Yes. That’s my ship. As I understand it you are an admiral.” Kirk asked fighting the urge to pull his hand away, Instead he returned the tight grip. Both men locked eyes and the rest of the room no longer mattered. Their respective wills were suddenly roused.

“That’s correct. The First Corellian is my home fleet. It stands ready for combat as always but our Jedi advisors always call fro caution. As if the Separatists will kindly wait for us to be ready and have everything in order before striking.” Iblis began. The grip tightened and Kirk’s face began to flush. But he returned the grip measure for measure and he could feel the taller man beginning to feel the pressure as well. But he did note the vitriol in his voice when he said the word Jedi.

“The Separatists you see are fighting us to a bloody standstill Captain. And I’m sure you’ve had an opportunity to see the disparity in planets, ships, troops and resources between the Republic and the Separatists have you not?”

“Indeed I have. A concern of your government I assure you. Perhaps, our entry in this war can finally turn things around.”

“Turn things around? What makes you think your tubs could turn anything around in a war that spans more planets than you can count?” Iblis asked sharply and the pressure dramatically increased.

Dehner looked down and saw Kirk’s hand was flushed crimson and his knuckles were white with effort, forearm shaking with effort. Her eyes narrowed on Iblis. What game was the bigger man playing?

“That’s hardly the attitude I expect from a man that has not known defeat in this war.” Kirk countered.

“Ah, so you have read up on me. Good. I enjoy an adversary that knows what’s coming.”

“Admiral Iblis, this is NOT the time for your grand standing.” Palpatine announced.

“Garm. Let it go. You’re doing far more harm than good.” Bail added sternly.

“Senator Organna. You are a soldier and a leader of men. I have no quarrel with a man that personally leads the defenses of his homeworld. But to others I am far less kind.” He spared the Jedi a harsh glare.

“Maybe you were unaware Admiral Iblis but there were Jedi at Alderaan that lost their lives defending her.” Anakin interjected darkly.

“The Jedi never tell you everything, of that I am sure. Word has reached me concerning certain things about the Separatist leadership. But out of respect for the Chancellor who has been far too patient with me I will keep it to myself for now.”

“Iblis that’s hardly the prudent thing to do when the security of the Republic is at stake.” Mon Mothma warned.

“When you have some wrinkles under those pretty eyes and your robe is not as white and you don’t hold yourself a slave to the fashions of Alderaan then perhaps I will deign to listen to you little girl, but for now the big people are speaking and you are better seen not heard. I assure you.”

Mon Mothma’s face blushed and she looked away from him for a moment in shock and anger.

“That’s no way for a man to speak to a lady, or don’t they have the military tradition of officers being gentlemen in this galaxy?” Kirk asked sharply. Iblis glanced back at Kirk and for a moment Kirk braced himself for a physical assault.

“You must think me quite the brute don’t you Captain? The typical military thug, perhaps you’ve even been assailed with tales of Iblis the Butcher who advocated mass bombings of Separatists home worlds. But these are not the actions of such a man.” Iblis began quietly. His grip on Kirk’s hand finally eased and he released Kirk. Kirk could not close his hand, his fingers were throbbing chords of pain.

“My actions are of a man who loves his Republic more than himself, who will fight and die to win this war because I believe in something that has been built must endure and not be privy to the whims of political folly. But when I am constantly opposed by overly cautious commanders who have no clear place in our chain of command and are obviously playing this war by their own rules and paralyzed by politicians playing soldier I have little patience for betrayal.”

“Excuse me?” Kirk snapped.

“Garm, now is truly the time to explain yourself. I have lost all patience.”

“As have I Chancellor.” Iblis turned his head to look back at his droid. “R-7 play battle report time index 27.8”

The droid whistled obediently and a small nozzle on its domed head focused slightly over the assembled senators and Chancellor and a hologram began playing. It was a pitched battle, the footage was obviously taken from a gun camera on one of the Republic fighters. Explosions rippled off to the left and blinded the camera for a moment.

Voices were playing in the background. A pilot and his controller.

“Say again control.”

“Watch sector three, alien vessel inbound.”

“Alien vessel? What in the name of----“ A shape flashed by the gun camera. Kirk’s eyes widened as he saw a brief glimpse of all too familiar design elements. Warp engine pylons and a saucer shaped forward hull. The actual vessel was unknown to him but the design aesthetics all screamed one thing. That was a Starfleet vessel.

Number One glanced quickly at Kirk. More pieces to the puzzle were falling into place. Gary choked on his drink and Kelso slapped his back as he watched the images in shock and confusion.

“What is that?”

“Blue 9, can you identify craft?”

“I’m getting registry information.” the gun camera zoomed in on the saucer just as a crimson beam flashed along a short strip and lanced right into the gun camera. The fighter obviously exploded.

“Hold and enhance at time reference 28.” Iblis ordered coldly, his eyes not leaving Kirk’s. The image zoomed behind Iblis, a section of the saucer of the alien craft. “So, tell me again Captain James T. Kirk, what is the name of the starship you command?” Iblis asked frostily.

“This is a mistake.” Dehner protested.

“Answer the question.” Iblis snapped.

Kirk stared at the image, then looked back at Iblis. When he spoke it sounded as if someone else were saying the words.

“The USS Enterprise.”

“Registry number?”

“NCC-1701.” he said softly.

Behind Iblis the saucer had the words “USS ENTERPRISE” clearly emblazoned in black letters on the white hull and below it the registry number “NCC-1701E”

“I want this man arrested for espionage and the murder of hundreds of our pilots and crewmen.” Iblis demanded.

There was utter silence in the hall.

Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Ooohh both timelines are now coming together.~Jason
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Trytostaydead
Sith Marauder

Post by Trytostaydead »

*Cheers* Stravo is back! Yay
Trytostaydead
Sith Marauder

Post by Trytostaydead »

This is very interesting. The web that Palpatine is weaving.. I would be VERY interested to see how this one ends. I think in terms of complex weaving and Palpatine getting to show his stuff, this is better than Starcrossed.

But where's Kinman Dorianna?
Techno_Union
Jedi Council Member

Post by Techno_Union »

I am so glad to see this continuing. I was afraid Stravo would have forgotten about it. Praise Stravo, praise him.
Proud member of GALE Force.
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

I'm taking particular joy in writing Palpatine having everyone dance to his tune as well as turn some things on their head like having Mon Mothma be a fanatical Palpatine supporter and what will lead her from that position to leader of the rebellion is a story in itself.