The Wicked Witch of the West's army

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

The Wicked Witch of the West's army

Post by Raxmei »

Wizard of Oz is playing on cable right now. I just saw the scene with all the flying monkeys in it. Did anyone ever make an estimate on how many there were?
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

My DVD drive isn't hooked up or I'd toss you some screencaps.

The Witch also has the Winkies, her personal army. The Winged Monkeys are basically a mercenary force she acquired through a magical cap (explained in the book, but seen briefly in the movie right before they attack Dorothy & Co.).
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Kurgan wrote:My DVD drive isn't hooked up or I'd toss you some screencaps.

The Witch also has the Winkies, her personal army. The Winged Monkeys are basically a mercenary force she acquired through a magical cap (explained in the book, but seen briefly in the movie right before they attack Dorothy & Co.).
There's a book?

Did it become before or after the movie?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Gandalf wrote:There's a book?

Did it become before or after the movie?
L. Frank Baum wrote it waaaaay before the movie, I think. There were various stage productions of it before the movie.

And this is one film Hollywood would be murdered for if they remade it, guaranteed.

Oh, I'd like to note how sad you are, Raxmei. :lol: Going to do a versus? The Witch's Flying Monkeys vs Starfleet gropos?
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
spongyblue
Jedi Knight

Post by spongyblue »

The Flying Monkeys win.
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

Monkey vs Robot
Robot wins
Flying monkey vs Robot
Robot gets owned.
Triangle man hates Flying monkey, they have a fight, triangle wins
Triangle man.
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

I skimmed through the book last night. The total forces that the Witch threw at Dorothy before resorting to the monkeys:

40 wolves
40 crows
a swarm of bees
some Winkies with spears

That's it. The winged monkeys only followed her orders because of a golden cap which she could only use three times. That's a pretty pathetic level of power for someone who terrorised a quarter of Oz.
Jawawithagun
Jedi Master

Post by Jawawithagun »

There isn't just one book bot a whole series of it.
"I said two shot to the head, not three." (Anonymous wiretap, Dallas, TX, 11/25/63)

Only one way to make a ferret let go of your nose - stick a fag up its arse!

there is no god - there is no devil - there is no heaven - there is no hell
live with it
- Lazarus Long
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

Jawawithagun wrote:There isn't just one book bot a whole series of it.
I know. I've read most of them.
Dalton wrote:Going to do a versus? The Witch's Flying Monkeys vs Starfleet gropos?
Saruman, actually.
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

Well the Witch herself was supposedly pretty powerful (except for a bucket of water.. and a late 19th century farm house was dropped on her sister, causing her to die), though a lot of her control of Oz was through fear.

Pity we didn't see a "Witches duel" (though I admit I've only read four of the books, and there's what.. 30?).
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Here I was thinking it was just one standalone movie...
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

Not even that. There's also the "Return to OZ" flick made in the 80's (not so much a sequel to the Judy Garland musical as a cinematic amalgamation of the second and third OZ books, though they left in various touches first movie fans would be familiar with like the Ruby Slippers).
spongyblue
Jedi Knight

Post by spongyblue »

<conspiricy mode on>

You know who I think the real villian in Oz is? No the "Wicked" Witch of the East, but actually Glenda the "Good" Witch. Why? Think of it this way, the inhabitants of the various lands of Oz are incrediably thick headed. Thats not exactly their fault, their just built that way. If a quick thinking yet spineless conman can have a whole nation not only think he is a wizard, but also convinces them to hand over rule of their entire country to him and then when he is found out to be a fraud he names a talking scarcrow as his sucsessor and the people gladly accept him. Where does Glinda fit in. She comes floating in on her pretty little bubble when Dorothy accidentally drops her house on the other witch. I'm sure the "Wicked" Witch probably would have forgiven the 10 year old girl, I mean hey, she wasn't exactly driving the house now was she. But nooo, Glinda had to instagate shit, get Dorothy to go on this little quest of hers, knowing that this simple girl was probably smarter than half the people in Oz, was gonna some how unmask the Wizard. With the wizard gone, Oz is ripe for the pickens for Glinda the "Good" Witch. And you wanna know what happens to the Flying Monkeys after the "Wicked" Witches demise? In The Land of Oz it is stated (rough quote I read about a week ago) by the Scarecrow to Jack Pumkin Head "The Flying Monkeys are now slaves to Glinda for she now has the Golden Cap that commands them" Hmmmm, makes you think.

<conspricy mode off>
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

No she used it three time and then gave it to the king of the Winged Monkeys setting them Free Read the book!
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

It's also interesting that in the book "Glinda" and the Good Witch of the North are two different people (IIRC).

The movie combines them, but in the original book (again IIRC) Glinda is actually the Good Witch of the South.

The person who "helps Dorothy" at the end is the Good Witch of the North (in the book).

This is of course because there were four Witches in Oz (two "wicked" East/West and two "good" North/South).

Also interesting is the way the Winkies look in the movie. I speculated that they were the same species as the Wicked Witch of the West (and East too if she was her "sister")... green skin, hook nose.
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

images!

Post by Kurgan »

Ok, just on a rough eyeball count, we see about a hundred winged monkeys fly past in the scene where the Witch is yelling "fly! fly!" after she gives the order to capture Dorothy.

That isn't counting the one monkey (Niko I think is his name in the credits), the Witches lackey (just a guess but his wings appear to be clipped).

We see an approach shot of the "flock" of monkeys, then we see them grab Dorothy while beating up on Scarcrow, etc. then another few shots of the flock flying off.

Here's some pics (brightened for hopefully better clarity):

http://www.jediknightii.net/_kurgan/oz/monkey1.jpg
http://www.jediknightii.net/_kurgan/oz/monkey2.jpg
http://www.jediknightii.net/_kurgan/oz/monkey3.jpg
http://www.jediknightii.net/_kurgan/oz/monkey4.jpg

And here's the Winkies! I don't know honestly how many they had on the set, but I figure that they just took the same 20 or so guys and just paraded them past the camera for several passes to make it look like there were many more of them. Shot wise, it doesn't make sense that the same guys are taking forever to just go back inside the castle (after their shift ends or whatever) so I'm counting each "pass" as another troupe of Winkies. But at any one time, it's limited to about 20 or so guys. Notice that while they are all filling back in, three still manage to sneak up on the Tinman, Scarcrow and Lion.

(we see a handfull more continue after this shot were you see the "drummer" and "cymbalist" Winkies at the head of the line going in, and then the rest follow. A few more go past and then our heroes in disguise wearing Winkie uniforms.
More shots:
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Inline your huge pics. I dislike having to clean up. It makes me cranky.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

SirNitram wrote:Inline your huge pics. I dislike having to clean up. It makes me cranky.
And a cranky black mage is an unhappy black mage, and an unhappy black mage means Hadoken percipitation +50%.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

SyntaxVorlon wrote:
SirNitram wrote:Inline your huge pics. I dislike having to clean up. It makes me cranky.
And a cranky black mage is an unhappy black mage, and an unhappy black mage means Hadoken percipitation +50%.
When I'm unhappy, Star Kitten is upset. When Star Kitten is upset... PEOPLE DIE!

Okay, spam over.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

Heh, sorry.
Darth Gojira
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Gojira »

Don't mess with the monkeys. The Winkies on the other hand.......
Hokey masers and giant robots are no match for a good kaiju at your side, kid
Post #666: 5-24-03, 8:26 am (Hey, why not?)
Do you not believe in Thor, the Viking Thunder God? If not, then do you consider your state of disbelief in Thor to be a religion? Are you an AThorist?-Darth Wong on Atheism as a religion
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

SirNitram wrote:
SyntaxVorlon wrote:
When I'm unhappy, Star Kitten is upset. When Star Kitten is upset... PEOPLE DIE!

Okay, spam over.
I could also add... "When Nitram's upset, I get no sex. Which makes me Very Unhappy, and Extremely Bitchy."

you don't want a Bitchy White Mage, now do you......?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
paladin
Jedi Master

Post by paladin »

The Wicked Witch's castle guards were called "Winkies." :roll:
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

Hope this isn't pushing TN, but it seems nobody's contesting then aproximately 100+ Winged Monkey's and 100 Winkie guards in the WWOTW's army...

In the book she did have the crows and other beasties of course.