Favourite LOTR Army?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Well?

Numenorean
17%
Gondor
8%
Rohan
21%
Elvish (Second Age)
19%
Elvish (Third Age)
4%
Easterling (Bronze-plated humans)
8%
Haradrim (Mumakils, etc)
4%
Orcs (Uruk-Hai, Mordor, Moria)
12%
Other
8%

Total votes: 52

Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Favourite LOTR Army?

Post by Companion Cube »

Your choice can be based on tactics, organisation, effectiveness, how they look, whatever. And say why you chose them.

And yes, Numenor and Gondor could be considered the same thing, but i'm talking about the Second Age army at the beginning of FOTR when I refer to Numenoreans.
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

The forces of Morgroth! :mrgreen: Balrog's, Firedrakes, Colddrakes, Orcs galore...

Minor spoilers:
But in the one's we've seen, then in terms of coolness, then the Second Age alliance or the Mordor armies with the Nazgul in divebomber mode and the Fell Beasts and the large amount of seige weaponry.

Were Gondor's seige weapons, trebuchet style, more efficient than Mordor's? I assumed that they were, but in terms of design and history, were the two designs shown equivalent or not?
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Has to be the Rohim.
Norse on horses. :D Nice contradiction there.
Demiurge
Rabid Monkey

Post by Demiurge »

The Numenoreans had style.
delicious pies
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

The Rohirrim.

"Ride to ruin, and the ending of the world!"

Shivers, man.
"Carriers dispense fighters, which dispense assbeatings." - White Haven

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
If only one rock and roll song echoes into tomorrow
There won't be anything to keep you from the distant morning glow.
I'm not a man. I just portrayed one for 15 years.
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

The_Lumberjack wrote:
Were Gondor's seige weapons, trebuchet style, more efficient than Mordor's? I assumed that they were, but in terms of design and history, were the two designs shown equivalent or not?
I'm not sure I can really answer your question, but The Lord of the Rings: Weapons and Warfare, there's a section describing how Sauron was much more conservative technologically than Saruman, preferring to stick to weaponry that was tried and tested, hence the lack of bombs in Mordor's army.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The_Lumberjack wrote:

The designs did different things. The mangonel catapults used by Mordor's where generally used for smashing things against walls with a fast low trajectory, while a trebuchet is a greater reach and higher trajectory, making it far more suitable for hitting the top of a wall or flinging stuff over them. However a trebuchet is far harder to build and bring into action.

But the movie was simply full of crap when it comes to effectiveness. There's no way a trebuchet made of wood could fling stones anywhere near the size shown, and the action of one firing would shake a wall top apart, you could only mount mangonel on walls. Mordor's mangonel's where a lot closer to reality in terms of projectile size, but still excessive. In the case of both weapons the range was greatly exaggerated as well.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I vote other. They weren't shown, but the dwarven armies of Erebor and the Iron Hills were kicking easterling ass at the long lake.

And I noticed the ghost army wasn't in your poll.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:I vote other. They weren't shown, but the dwarven armies of Erebor and the Iron Hills were kicking easterling ass at the long lake.

And I noticed the ghost army wasn't in your poll.
Or, rather, losing and enduring a siege at Erebor.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Hey, they won 8)
ImageImage
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

The Numenoreans, of course.
Men at their zenith, if the Numenoreans hadn't gotten to proud and thought they could challenge the Valar, they'd probably be kicking Sauron's ass way into the Fourth age.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Setzer wrote:The Numenoreans, of course.
Men at their zenith, if the Numenoreans hadn't gotten to proud and thought they could challenge the Valar, they'd probably be kicking Sauron's ass way into the Fourth age.
The Fourth Age only starts after and because Sauron was forever defeated..
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

The Lord of the Rings: Weapons and Warfare, there's a section describing how Sauron was much more conservative technologically than Saruman, preferring to stick to weaponry that was tried and tested, hence the lack of bombs in Mordor's army.

Makes sense; Sauron was more sort of a just an Evil Overlord(TM); his armies were mostly orcs from the Mountains of Shadow, Trolls, and human auxiliaries.

Saruman, on the other hand, was the more radical- he had this supposed vision of the Great Order, where as Sauron just wanted to dominate the World.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

I don't know if they count as an army, but eagles kick ass.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Setzer wrote:The Numenoreans, of course.
The Fourth Age only starts after and because Sauron was forever defeated..
And the Numenorians were perfectly prepared and able to put foot to ass in that match up. If Sauron hadn't good and surrendered there would have been no need of a Fourth Age as they would have crushed Sauron.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I don't know why some of you guys chose the Rohirrim. They look like crap- aside from Eomer and Theoden, they're a rabble. Elves of the Second Age for me (the ones at Helm's Deep look too tarted up).
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

Numenoreans.

Any army that can cause Sauron to surrender immediately is impressive enough for me :)
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Crazedwraith wrote:Has to be the Rohim.
I don't think the Rohirrim were based upon Vikings - rather, they are probably supposed to resemble Dark Ages germanic tribes such as the Visigoths and Ostrogoths, who did use cavalry.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Simon H.Johansen wrote:
I don't think the Rohirrim were based upon Vikings - rather, they are probably supposed to resemble Dark Ages germanic tribes such as the Visigoths and Ostrogoths, who did use cavalry.
That was PJ's connection - he's the one who thought so, and pushed for it.

I can't recall much about the Rohirrim in the books, except they're located in a central location within Middle-earth, and use horse predominantly in war. Another comparison you could make is Hungarian/Magyar warriors, who if I recall correctly fought predominantly on horseback. Of course, I'm slightly biased in that regard. 8)
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

The Rohirrim rode to their current home from the wilds of the North, and their language is a Welsh derrivation. They aren't supposed to be direct analogues of Tolkien's creation, just groovy people.
ImageImage
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

"The time for Man has ended. Now is the time for Orcs."

So says the badass Orc general just after shoving a spear right through Faramir's right-hand man.

:twisted:
JADAFETWA
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Simon H.Johansen wrote:
Actually... the Rohirrim were Celtic and Norse-deriviatives. Look to their standard, the White Horse on Green field. Now, ladies and gentlemen, especially those living in England... where in the world can you find a large white horse on a green field?

But the Horse-Lords are fantastic, and I think they're the best army. :) Their horses weren't just something to ride, they were trained to fight as well!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

D.Turtle wrote:Numenoreans.

Any army that can cause Sauron to surrender immediately is impressive enough for me :)
Especially when you consider that most Orcs are more scared of their leaders then any army.

A force that would make them surrender is nigh unbelieveable.
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

Kuja wrote:"The time for Man has ended. Now is the time for Orcs."

So says the badass Orc general just after shoving a spear right through Faramir's right-hand man.

:twisted:
Yeah, gotta love Gothmog.

Personally, (and this is my first reply strictly on-topic) I like the army of Gondor, even if they did have Denethor in charge at first. The Citadel and Fountain Guard in particular look bad-ass.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

anarchistbunny wrote:I don't know if they count as an army, but eagles kick ass.
I don't remember the Eagles being in the Lord of the Rings. But they did kick ass.

Anyway, I vote for Numenor. Men worthy of an alliance with Elves are always cool.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia