Favourite LOTR Army?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Well?

Numenorean
17%
Gondor
8%
Rohan
21%
Elvish (Second Age)
19%
Elvish (Third Age)
4%
Easterling (Bronze-plated humans)
8%
Haradrim (Mumakils, etc)
4%
Orcs (Uruk-Hai, Mordor, Moria)
12%
Other
8%

Total votes: 52

Demiurge
Rabid Monkey

Post by Demiurge »

3rd Impact wrote:
Kuja wrote:"The time for Man has ended. Now is the time for Orcs."

So says the badass Orc general just after shoving a spear right through Faramir's right-hand man.

:twisted:
Yeah, gotta love Gothmog.

Personally, (and this is my first reply strictly on-topic) I like the army of Gondor, even if they did have Denethor in charge at first. The Citadel and Fountain Guard in particular look bad-ass.
Was Gothmog that orc with the lumpy head?
delicious pies
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Demiurge wrote:
3rd Impact wrote:Yeah, gotta love Gothmog.
I guess so.

Cool. :D

And I thought Shagrat (the orc who captured Frodo, then told the other captain, Snaga, to put down the mythril) was damn good as well. He jumpkicked another orc right out a window. Gotta love it. :twisted:
JADAFETWA
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

The Riders of Rohan. Because they're fucking badass.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Demiurge wrote:
3rd Impact wrote:
Kuja wrote:"The time for Man has ended. Now is the time for Orcs."

So says the badass Orc general just after shoving a spear right through Faramir's right-hand man.

:twisted:
Yeah, gotta love Gothmog.

Personally, (and this is my first reply strictly on-topic) I like the army of Gondor, even if they did have Denethor in charge at first. The Citadel and Fountain Guard in particular look bad-ass.
If he was, then there's not doubt a Nazgul upset about having his name stolen. Not to mention Morogoth's old right hand man.
Thirdfain
The Player of Games
Location: Never underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State.

Post by Thirdfain »

The Easterlings- their war-chant as they marched into the Black Gate was just badass, as was their bizarre, scaly bronze armor.

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite.
John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - )
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

Stormbringer wrote:
If he was, then there's not doubt a Nazgul upset about having his name stolen. Not to mention Morogoth's old right hand man.
Meh, it's quite possible I got mixed up somewhere, but the name sounds like it fits, at least. I think it was mentioned in something I read.
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

3rd Impact wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:
Meh, it's quite possible I got mixed up somewhere, but the name sounds like it fits, at least. I think it was mentioned in something I read.
Damn the lack of an edit button!

Anyway, I found the name in a reference book called The Lord of the Rings, Weapons and Warfare which I mentioned before in this thread. I don't know how good their information is, but here's the relevant passage:
The Lord of the Rings: Weapons and Warfare-page 172 wrote:Riding up and down the regiments were Orc captains mounted on Wargs; while on these swift creatures they could take their orders from Gothmog, a hideously disfigured Orc chieftain in charge of troop movements on the ground.
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Stormbringer wrote:If he was, then there's not doubt a Nazgul upset about having his name stolen. Not to mention Morogoth's old right hand man.
Hey, no need to get all huffy. Gothmog is just Middle-Earth's equivalent of the name Mike. :P
JADAFETWA
Oberleutnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Oberleutnant »

Rohirrim!

Theoden & co are simply awesome!
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

LadyTevar wrote:Actually... the Rohirrim were Celtic and Norse-deriviatives. Look to their standard, the White Horse on Green field. Now, ladies and gentlemen, especially those living in England... where in the world can you find a large white horse on a green field?
However, their king is named Theoden - a name similar to Theoderick, a 5th century Ostrogoth chieftain who seized power in Italy after the fall of the Roman Empire. So it's very possible that Tolkien based the Rohirrim upon Ostrogoths as well as the Anglo-Saxons.

Gondor is probably the Franks under Charlemagne, while the Orcs definately are based upon the Huns.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Just to be sure, Gothmog in the old period of Middle Earth (Silmarillion era) was some balrog, right?
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Gothmog was the top badass of the Balrogs.

The chieftain who takes over at the battle of the Pelennor was also called Gothmog, but in the book he takes charge after the witch king has his invisible face rearranged. (page 828, of my edition)

Presumably it's a name that Orcs get given if they're particularly shouty and killy.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Thirdfain wrote:The Easterlings- their war-chant as they marched into the Black Gate was just badass, as was their bizarre, scaly bronze armor.
I liked them too. I thought there helmets were cool looking.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
The Cleric
BANNED

Post by The Cleric »

The Allince army from the end of the second age. That first scene from FOtR was awesome.
{} Thrawn wins. Any questions? {} Great Dolphin Conspiracy {} Proud member of the defunct SEGNOR {} Enjoy the rythmic hip thrusts {} In my past life I was either Vlad the Impaler or Katsushika Hokusai {}
Symmetry
Jedi Master

Post by Symmetry »

Tsyroc wrote:
Thirdfain wrote:The Easterlings- their war-chant as they marched into the Black Gate was just badass, as was their bizarre, scaly bronze armor.
I liked them too. I thought there helmets were cool looking.
And theeeeee OLIPHANTS! I'd definitly give these guys second place after Numenor.
SDN Rangers: Gunnery Officer

They may have claymores and Dragons, but we have Bolos and Ogres.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Numenoreans.

The had long lives, strength, and were scary as hell to the bad guys, And the whole great Navy thing.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Stormbringer wrote:

None of the Nazghul were ever named.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Darth Gojira
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Gojira »

Haradrim all the way, baby! Mumaks ROCK!!
Hokey masers and giant robots are no match for a good kaiju at your side, kid
Post #666: 5-24-03, 8:26 am (Hey, why not?)
Do you not believe in Thor, the Viking Thunder God? If not, then do you consider your state of disbelief in Thor to be a religion? Are you an AThorist?-Darth Wong on Atheism as a religion
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

3rd Impact wrote:Anyway, I found the name in a reference book called The Lord of the Rings, Weapons and Warfare which I mentioned before in this thread. I don't know how good their information is, but here's the relevant passage:
The Lord of the Rings: Weapons and Warfare-page 172 wrote:Riding up and down the regiments were Orc captains mounted on Wargs; while on these swift creatures they could take their orders from Gothmog, a hideously disfigured Orc chieftain in charge of troop movements on the ground.
Ah, another name the production crew lifted to give an orc a name.

I was simply noting that the "real" Gothmog was the second in command of the Nazgul. And of course the renowed Balrog Lord.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Lonestar wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:

None of the Nazghul were ever named.
Not in Lord of the Rings, but there are several that had been given names in other source. In fact out of them, four have names though I can only remember two right now.

The Witch-King of Angmar had a name though after he ruined Arnor he was mostly remembered as the Witch King instead. Khamul the Easterling was specifically named as commanding the Tower of Dol Goldur prior to the War of the Ring, and of course Gothmog was the second in command of the Nazgul after the Witch-King and was frequently a messanger for Sauron himself.