Writing advice

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Gunshy
Padawan Learner

Writing advice

Post by Gunshy »

For about two years now, I've been working on a novel in my spare time. I enjoy it, but it's also very frustrating. Recently, I started over on it for the third time. I'm reaching the point where I just want to say fuck it, and burn everything.

Sooo...does anyone have any tips on actually making it through, and finishing it? I don't care if it ever gets published,it's just something I want to create.
"In the new trilogy, Anakin Skywalker portrays a damning indictment of technology's modern dehumanization of mankind through Hayden Christensen's lifeless, almost inhuman performance. There is a river of tragedy in every robotic line he utters, a horrific monotonal indication of his cyborgal fate."-Dr. Albert Oxford, PhD
victorhadin
Padawan Learner

Post by victorhadin »

Think of a really beastly plot-twist and commence setting it in motion.
"Aw hell. We ran the Large-Eddy-Method-With-Allowances-For-Random-Divinity again and look; the flow separation regions have formed into a little cross shape. Look at this, Fred!"

"Blasted computer model, stigmatizing my aeroplane! Lower the Induced-Deity coefficient next time."
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Hmm...

I wrote a novel once; two of them, in fact. I didn't have a plan, or outline or any notes even. I just wrote it, and finished it. I haven't read it for years, and I doubt I would want to; a lot of it was bad, but that could be my own twisted subjective memory talking.

The important thing is to finish it - whatever it is. Finish it, put it down and move on. Write something else. A second novel. But just finish it.

Don't burn it. If it's bad, give it away to someone as a "present" - even if it is bad, keep it anyway - keep it as a reminder of something that you've completed, and use it as an incentive to improve. Always improve, always write.

Why did you start over anyway?
Gunshy
Padawan Learner

Post by Gunshy »

Stofsk wrote:
Why did you start over anyway?
Well, I can't remember why I did the first time, but the second time, it just seemed as if where I was going with my characters didn't seem true to who they were. I having a hard time envisioning where I want these people to go, since I'm pretty much doing what you did.
"In the new trilogy, Anakin Skywalker portrays a damning indictment of technology's modern dehumanization of mankind through Hayden Christensen's lifeless, almost inhuman performance. There is a river of tragedy in every robotic line he utters, a horrific monotonal indication of his cyborgal fate."-Dr. Albert Oxford, PhD