Poor Beagle.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Poor Beagle.

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

Anyone else dissappointed that Beagle 2 is probably a broken heap on the surface of Mars? I hope the next two probes make it down.

I did not realize that 20 out of 36 missions to Mars have failed. Wow, that is an impressive failure rate. I think it illustrates how much of challenge it would really be for us to send a human to Mars.
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

TrailerParkJawa wrote:I did not realize that 20 out of 36 missions to Mars have failed. Wow, that is an impressive failure rate. I think it illustrates how much of challenge it would really be for us to send a human to Mars.
That total includes all missions to Mars, not just American, but Russian too. And those aren't surface missions.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Re: Poor Beagle.

Post by Montcalm »

TrailerParkJawa wrote:I did not realize that 20 out of 36 missions to Mars have failed. Wow, that is an impressive failure rate. I think it illustrates how much of challenge it would really be for us to send a human to Mars.
Maybe that means the companies who made the probes that made a successful landing on Mars were competant.
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

Crayz9000 wrote:
That total includes all missions to Mars, not just American, but Russian too. And those aren't surface missions.
I realize that it is a composite of all missions. That does nothing to take away from the reality that a manned mission to Mars would require us to make a tremendous leap in success rates in order to avoid a disaster.
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

TrailerParkJawa wrote:
Crayz9000 wrote:
I realize that it is a composite of all missions. That does nothing to take away from the reality that a manned mission to Mars would require us to make a tremendous leap in success rates in order to avoid a disaster.
Funily enough back in the day some people were wondering wether the Martians were shooting them down :lol: !
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

There seems to be a Bermuda Triangle around Mars!

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Actually, manned missions have a much lower failiure rate BECAUSE they are manned. Most errors and glitches on those missions could be fixed with a push of a button or a turn of a wrench. They fail because if ANYTHING goes wrong it can't be fixed, which lowers our margin of error.

Manned spaceflight has a very high success rate.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Actually, manned missions have a much lower failiure rate BECAUSE they are manned. Most errors and glitches on those missions could be fixed with a push of a button or a turn of a wrench. They fail because if ANYTHING goes wrong it can't be fixed, which lowers our margin of error.

But if you send them to Mars, you need to get them back somehow, which increases the risk somewhat...

Unless you can get volunteers to go on a one-way mission to Mars :P

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

Exonerate wrote:Unless you can get volunteers to go on a one-way mission to Mars :P
I would volunteer for sutch a mission, no question about it.
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Exonerate wrote:
CaptainChewbacca wrote:Actually, manned missions have a much lower failiure rate BECAUSE they are manned. Most errors and glitches on those missions could be fixed with a push of a button or a turn of a wrench. They fail because if ANYTHING goes wrong it can't be fixed, which lowers our margin of error.

But if you send them to Mars, you need to get them back somehow, which increases the risk somewhat...

Unless you can get volunteers to go on a one-way mission to Mars :P
Actualy finding volunteers for a one way trip to Mars would be easy. A lot of people inlcuding myself would love the glory of being there despite paying the ultimate price. :D

Traveling to and from Mars is at the very limits of todays technology. We can barely do it with todays spacecraft. It would be better to wait for the development of crucial technologies like nuclear fusion and ion propulsion paving the way for a new generation of spacecraft.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
The Cleric
BANNED

Post by The Cleric »

TrailerParkJawa wrote:Anyone else dissappointed that Beagle 2 is probably a broken heap on the surface of Mars? I hope the next two probes make it down.

I did not realize that 20 out of 36 missions to Mars have failed. Wow, that is an impressive failure rate. I think it illustrates how much of challenge it would really be for us to send a human to Mars.
Has Russia sent stuff to Mars? If so, I demand the the stats be reformulated to account for Russian craftsmanship.
{} Thrawn wins. Any questions? {} Great Dolphin Conspiracy {} Proud member of the defunct SEGNOR {} Enjoy the rythmic hip thrusts {} In my past life I was either Vlad the Impaler or Katsushika Hokusai {}
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

StormTrooperTR889 wrote:
TrailerParkJawa wrote:Anyone else dissappointed that Beagle 2 is probably a broken heap on the surface of Mars? I hope the next two probes make it down.

Has Russia sent stuff to Mars? If so, I demand the the stats be reformulated to account for Russian craftsmanship.
They sent several Mars missions including some with landers and two probes to Mar's moons. Most failed outright and none were complete success.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

evilcat4000 wrote:Actualy finding volunteers for a one way trip to Mars would be easy. A lot of people inlcuding myself would love the glory of being there despite paying the ultimate price. :D

Traveling to and from Mars is at the very limits of todays technology. We can barely do it with todays spacecraft. It would be better to wait for the development of crucial technologies like nuclear fusion and ion propulsion paving the way for a new generation of spacecraft.
Wouldn't the cause best be served by creating habitats in space and perhaps returning to the moon? From my understanding a lot of the technologies that were used to get to the moon have been forgotten, so a lot of this stuff has to be relearnt anyway. (I'm not sure where I read/heard that so I could be wrong)
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

We have yet to solve the basic problem of economicaly getting to space. Untill that is done everyother space program will remain a pipe dream.

As for the technologies used in Moon missions they are over 30 years old and very expensive as well as inefficient. It would be better to scrap the shuttle program and work on a viable space plane.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

evilcat4000 wrote: They sent several Mars missions including some with landers and two probes to Mar's moons. Most failed outright and none were complete success.
They blew billions of dollars on that, a entire series of failed mars probes
in an attempt to land on mars before Viking 1/2 landed back in the 70s,
and completely devastated their unmanned exploration program's budget
for that failed prestige attempt
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Well, wasn't NASA the one who lost a probe due to the minor problem of converting inches to centimeters not correctly? :) Was funny as hell...
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

i heard some scientist say that even if the beagle is lost the mission was still a success because of the probe that orbits mars.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

The Beagle 2 was the most important part of the mission as this would be the first time Eurepeans landed something on another planet. With its failure the mission is nothing more than what is already being done with NASA orbiters.
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

we can still hope though... we have till next monday before all hope is lost
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

BLATANT SELF - PROMOTION

Actually ... I wrote my thesis on a manned mission to Mars ... :)
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Dammit you have to stop sending things over there, my terraforming project is just getting started and no one is supposed to know about that base I have in the Canal Region.....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

awwwww, isn't that cute! The Europeans want to play spaceships with the US and Russia.

*the surly American and Russian kids knock over the European kid's chess board.

[Nelson Muntz] HA-HA We're better at astrophysics than you are! [/Nelson Muntz]
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Col. Crackpot wrote:awwwww, isn't that cute! The Europeans want to play spaceships with the US and Russia.

"Hmm, comrade, better not tell that American pigdog that his engineers and scientists work in different measurement units."

I hope this is just a glitch with the array orientation, the God of War has been very unforgiving this year what with the Japanese probe dying too and now this. A 50% success rate still isn't all that good it seems, maybe because these modern probes can scout around and are more advanced than ther Viking ones, the Martians are using heat rays to shoot them down!
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Col. Crackpot wrote:awwwww, isn't that cute! The Europeans want to play spaceships with the US and Russia.

We don't want to forget that a good deal of the American rocket program was done with the help of former German (i.e. European) scientists, like von Braun...
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Didn't your shuttle explode a few months ago?
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus