The Invasion (Upd. 12/23/03)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

The Invasion (Upd. 12/23/03)

Post by haas mark »

Ok, so I rearranged and revised Chapter 1, and finally finished Chapter 2. Take a look. :)

---

Chapter 1

---

19 March 2009.
0904 hours.
Washington, D.C., United States

It was early in the morning. The city was just coming to life, and people were getting up to start the new day. Kelly Antilles, her husband and two kids were on their way to San Francisco. They made every attempt to avoid traffic, and so made sure to pack the night previous and leave at 6:45 in the morning. Spring break had come early this year, and the family was going to Kelly's parents' house in California. Unfortunately, luck wasn't on their side, and they were just making it outside the city at just past nine in the morning.

They were on the highway, traveling at seventy-five miles per hour, when a car headed the opposite direction suddenly swerved into her lane. Kelly pounded on the brakes in the Plymouth Voyager that she was driving, and skidded sideways, to try to avoid the oncoming car. A Honda Civic hit her from behind when a bright white light enveloped her and her family. Their vehicle fishtailed out of control and went off the side of the road, rolling a few times down a steady hill.

She came to a few minutes later, and instinctively turned around to see if her kids were all right. Never mind her husband, she had to see her children. She saw that Jason was bleeding out of his ear, and both were unconscious, but breathing, and Kelly was relieved. She turned to face her husband, only to find that the door had been ripped off and that he was missing. The door was nowhere in sight. Leaves were blowing into and out of the minivan. It was strangely quiet, considering that she was on the highway. She looked back over to her side of the vehicle, and realized that they were not on the highway any longer. Still dazed, she thought she saw her husband standing up on a hill not too far away. "Jake...?" she whispered.

20 March 2009.
0104 hours.
Between Melbourne and Sydney, Australia

Andrew Russell was on his way to Sydney from Melbourne. He had to be there in the afternoon for a business meeting. Being one of the more prestigious politicians in the nation, he had to attend. He had decided, however, to take the long route. On his right was the beach. It was quiet. He noticed there were no birds out, no sea gulls. There was no real sound. Just the lapping of the waves on the shore, the distant roar of water out in the deep ocean, against the dark, midnight blue sky. It was clear, except for a few clouds. The South Cross was clearly visible straight ahead of him. He watched it for just a moment, and as soon as he let his eyes off the road completely, an incredibly bright white light surrounded him. He was thrown off the road, and onto the beach.

A few minutes later, Andrew came to, and he was bleeding from his ears. There was a dull ringing. His car was flipped over, and he was still inside. The hood was crunched in, and the top was fairly smashed, as well. "Damn," he said, "I'm going to be late for the meeting." And he promptly passed out.

19 March 2009.
1404 hours.
Marseilles, France

Alec DuMont had restlessly been trying to sleep. He was the night security guard at the Marriott in Marseilles. He was also the most feared. Since he had been hired, there had been little trouble in the hotel. What very few people knew, however, was that this was because he was a telepath.

All throughout his sleep, Alec had dreamt of the Arc du Triomphe, the Llouvre, the Eiffel Tower, and the Notre Dame Cathedral, then a bright light, which was followed by nothing. Emptiness. He woke up in a cold sweat, thankful that his wife had taken her trip home to Madrid, Spain. He stood up in his boxers, and made a move toward the bathroom to clean up. He was grateful that he had the night off. He got halfway to the doorway to his bathroom when the windows on one side of the room suddenly flew open while the windows on the adjacent wall shattered from the outside in. A strong wind knocked him to the ground, and he landed on his butt and his elbow, and slid back about a foot, scraping skin off his forearm. He sat there, knowing what had happened, his toned body glistening with sweat and blood. "Fuck."

19 March 2009.
1604 hours.
Alexandria, Egypt

Aswad Isa and Omar Alwafai were in bed, having the time of their lives when all of a sudden, there was a bright light from their eastern window. They stopped what they were doing, and lay still. Suddenly, the window shattered, spraying both men with tiny shards of glass. The light was so bright, even if from so far away, that they were momentarily blinded. The bed moved, ever so slightly, but enough to make a small creak and groan.

When they were able to see again, they looked at each other with frightened eyes, and lay down again. Aswad said to Omar, "What will happen, now?"

Omar looked away and quietly replied, "We go to headquarters. And wait. And pray."

19 March 2009.
1404 hours.
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom

Darren Montgomery had been taking a late lunch break, and was on his way back to work. He was a few minutes early, but that could be good or bad, depending on who was the boss for the second half of his shift. It was a partially cloudy day, so when a bright light appeared, he assumed the sun was coming out of the clouds, and he reached for his sunglasses. But when a car veered off the road ahead of him, he said, "What in the bloody--!" He almost didn't notice the car in front of him stopping, so he slammed on his brakes, swerving, and was blinded in the same moment. Not being able to see what he was doing, he turned the steering wheel sharply to the left, to avoid any other cars that he might run into, and landed in a ditch.

He woke up a little while later to the sounds of ambulance sirens and someone tapping on his window. "Sir? Sir, are you all right in there?" a woman's voice asked. When Darren realized that it was the voice of the person at the window, he opened his eyes and mumbled incoherently in response. He gazed a glassy-eyed stare at the blonde-haired, blue-eyed paramedic for a second or two afterward, and passed out again.

19 March 2009.
2304 hours.
Seoul, South Korea.

Phong Nguyen had been walking home after a late night out on the town. Sure, he had had fun, what with all the girls and drinks and all, but he needed to go to work in the morning. He was just beginning to walk past a park when he heard a low, distant rumble, but he passed it off for thunder, as the sky was overcast. When it lasted too long for normal thunder, he looked up, curious.

In the moment that he looked up, he was blinded by a great flash of light. It was like it enveloped him, swept over him, encompassing everything. He took a step back, and then there was an aftershock, throwing him to his face on the ground. He tumbled for a few moments before he was able to get up. He started for a nearby hospital, and after thinking about all the possibilities of what it might have been, all he could do was shake his head and say, "Shit..."

19 March 2009.
2004 hours.
St. Petersburg, Russia.

Aleksandr Petrovich was just about to leave the lab when Olga Boriskova made an astounding discovery. "Sergei! Aleksandr! Come, look at this!" Sergei Lipinski and the other bio-geneticists were working on reading the human genome. They had apparently happened upon some incredible evidence--telepathy was, in fact, real. It wasn't always hereditary; it was a mutation occurring here and there due to defects in DNA strands, but it was real.

"Hurry! Record the information!" Sergei commanded.

"Computer, download findings," Aleksandr ordered to the computer. Then, to the others, cheerfully, "Do you know what this could mean?"

"Files... downloaded," stated the robotic voice of the computer as the building began to shake. Things fell off of shelves, flasks shattered on the ground, things clattered and clanked as they knocked against each other. A fluorescent light flew down from the ceiling, hitting one of the monitors on the table, throwing it to the floor.

"Get down!" Olga yelled. The commotion commenced. "What--what was that? I didn't think we could get earthquakes here," she whispered.

"I don't know," said Aleksandr softly.

"But," Sergei said, smiling, "we have our evidence, safe and intact."

20 March 2009.
0204 hours.
Kyoto, Japan.

Aki Oro and Hikari Yurimoto sat in their apartment, discussing the assignment that was due in the morning. They were graduating in two months, both with a degree in nuclear engineering. Things were definitely different since the end of the second Persian Gulf War, and although electronics was not the favorite subject of either woman, they managed to pull through every electronics class before this, and they were determined to make it through their last one.

"Finally!" Aki cried, exclaiming their success in finishing the project.

"Yes, we're done," replied Hikari. "And in only two months' time, we've only one more project. Just think..."

And that was when the windows blew open, and the building began to shake. Glass shards were sprayed all over Hikari and Aki's bodies, minorly piercing their skin here and there.

"Cover it!" yelled Aki.

Hikari threw a blanket over their project, and as soon as everything died down, said, "I wonder what that was?"

"I don't know," Aki responded, looking at Hikari, concerned, "but I don't like the looks of it. At all."

---

~ver
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005

haas mark

Post by haas mark »

Chapter 2

---

The figure Kelly saw on top of the hill was, in fact, not her husband. She heard a voice call, "Down there! The van's down there!" In the background, there were sirens going off. Still keeping an eye on the form on the hill, wary, untrusting, Kelly sat up a bit. "J--Jason? Mary?" she cooed softly, as her hand crept back behind her, trying to make sure they were still safe.

"Mommy?" said Jason, the younger of the two children, sleepily. "Mommy, what happened?"

"Shh," she replied hastily. "Keep quiet." She looked back and made eye contact with her son. "I'm right here. I'll be right here, okay?" She glanced back toward the person on the hill, and turned around to face her daughter, who had a look of pure shock on her face. She brought her hand towards Mary's face, and stroked her chin, saying, "I'm right here, Mary. I won't leave you." As a smile awoke on her face, Mary looked at her mother, now comforted.

Kelly unbuckled herself, and got to the back of the van to get the two kids undone from their seats. "We're going to go talk to that man up on the hill over there," she said, pointing at the shape on the hill, "and see if he knows where Daddy is, okay?" The children nodded their heads in agreement.

Finally having gotten them out of their seats, Kelly took each of them in one hand, brought them out of the van, and began walking toward the man on the hill. She was a bit dizzy and light-headed from hitting her head, but she was going to get there--she needed to find out where her husband was, where her children's father was.

The person on the hill pointed down at them and yelled, "Hey! Down there!"

"H--Hello?" Kelly responded.

The silhouetted began to scramble down the slope to them. As they came closer to view, Kelly recognized who it was. The face on the person approaching belonged to none other than her good friend Kristin Aria. She pulled her kids along after a moment of hesitation, and then smiled to the other woman.

"Where's Daddy?" Mary asked.

"I--I don't know." Kelly's breath caught, and she looked at Kristin, teary-eyed. "His door was missing when I woke up, and so was he. I think--I think he might be--he might be dead."

"No, no, he's fine. He's fine. We found him already. He was looking for paramedics because you guys were out cold."

Kelly whipped up her head to look at Kristin, hysterical and smiling. "Thank god," she exclaimed, as she let go of her kids' hands and wrapped Kristin in a warm embrace.

"Now we just need to get you back with your husband."

"Yes, yes, that would be good. Very good." She took her children's hands again, shaky.

Mary looked at Kristin and asked, "What happened, Miss Kristin?"

Kristin slowed for just a moment, and then said, "I'll tell you when we get to the top, okay?" She winked at the girl.

"Okay," Mary said cheerfully. They made their way up the hill in silence. A slight breeze only added to the chilling effect that things were just too quiet around, but Kelly had no way of breaking the quietude that surrounded them. She was lost in her own thoughts, and concentrating hard on trying to figure how what happened, happened.

They reached the top, and a stream of black asphalt crept into Kelly's vision. She looked up and to the left as her husband called her name. Bringing Jason and Mary up to the road, Kelly let go of their hands and turned to take Jake in her arms. "Oh, god, Jake, I'm so glad you're alive!"

He patted her back blankly and pulled away. He smiled a second before bursting into tears. "I can't believe it's you. Kelly, it's you!"

"Why, yes, it is," she said, confused. Turning to Kristin, she continued sternly, "What happened?"

"Well," she said, "it's like this. When Jake came up the hill, he was fine, but something about what happened caused him to be--" She took a deep breath, closing her eyes, and finished, "To be blind."

"B--Blind? As in he can't see?"

"That's right," Jake said. "I can't see anything right now. We don't know if I'll be able to see again, but for right now, there's nothing we can do about it."

Taken aback, Kelly asked, "So what happened, anyway?"

"Well," said Kristin, hesitantly, "we don't exactly know."

"Huh?"

"We?don't know." They stood still for a moment. "We should go," Kristin said finally, breaking the awkward silence.

"Allrighty, then. Let me help you get Jake into the ambulance," Kelly responded.

"No, you should let me do that," a masculine voice said from the front of the vehicle. A man stepped around and approached them.

"Nick, Kelly. Kelly, Nick," Kristin said. "He's been my partner for a couple days now. He's new to the team. But he does his job well," she said proudly.

"Nice to meet you," Kelly said.

"A pleasure."

Nick and Kristin took Jake onto the ambulance, and Nick headed to the front. Kristin popped out again and propped Jason on her hip while Kelly put Mary on hers. The two women pulled themselves onto the ambulance and Kristin shut the door.

"Are any of you hurt very badly?" she asked as she strapped Jake in. "We're ready to go!" she called to Nick.

"I don't think so, but Jason might have had a concussion. He was bleeding from his ear," Kelly responded.

"Let me take a look at 'im. C'mere, Jase, I need to check out your ear, ok?"

"Ok!" Jason said as he moved toward Kristin.

Just after he reached her and she had him on her lap, a loud "Oh, shit!" came from the front. Everyone lurched forward as the vehicle squealed to a stop. Mary began sobbing, and Kelly held her, whispering in her ear, "Shh, it's gonna be all right."

"What the hell is going on, Nick?" Kristin asked, setting Jason down and moving up front. The she looked forward and slowly let out, "Oh. My. God."

"What is it, Kristin?"

"Nothing," she replied.

"What do you mean, 'nothing'?" Jake asked. "You wouldn't be saying 'Oh my god' if it were nothing."

"That's just it. Nothing. It's gone. It's all gone. All of it."

"What's gone?" Kelly asked. "You're not making any sense." She stood up, Mary still in hand.

"D.C. It's gone."

"What!? What do you mean, 'gone'?" She pulled Mary to her hip again and she, too, moved forward. Awed, she sat in the passenger seat. "Oh. Wow. It is gone. Just... wow."

"How fucking surreal," Nick said. "Who could have ever imagined anything like this?"

"This can't be happening. This can't be happening! Kristin, tell me this isn't happening!"

"Calm down!" Kristin said. "Don't go getting all hysterical on me."

"Well, how the hell else do you want me to react? What the hell else am I supposed to do? Sit here and act like it's another goddamned day in paradise?"

"No--"

"Then what?"

"I wasn't saying that. Not at all. What I mean is... I just... I don't know," she resigned.

"Mommy?" Jason said.

"Yes, honey?"

"I'm tired. And my head hurts. When can we go home?"

"Let me look at him," Kristin said softly. "You stay up here." She took Jason back to the rear of the ambulance and sat Jason on her lap again.

As she checked his vitals, Nick said, "Well, I guess we'd better start toward some sort of hospital." He slowly gassed the ambulance, and they turned around on the road and headed for Norfolk.

---

So that's it for now. I've got Chapter 3 written out by hand, and already working on Chapter 4. I'll try to get 3, if not both 3 and 4, submitted by the end of next week.

~ver
Last edited by haas mark on 2004-01-09 10:31am, edited 1 time in total.

Formerly verilon

haas mark

Post by haas mark »

-pokes- 100 views, no replies? :cry: ;_:

-feels unloved-

Uhm.. this one seemed pretty popular last time around.. anyone have anything to say on it, please...? Critiques are, as usual, more than welcome.

~ver

Formerly verilon

Akira
Official SD.Net Chew Toy

Post by Akira »

good read, want more.

will that do? :P

There isn't really that much to comment on until we get a bit more info on what happened to DC or at least what didn't.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Akira wrote:good read, want more.

There isn't really that much to comment on until we get a bit more info on what happened to DC or at least what didn't.
Damn You! I'd was thinked you'd posted more of unity!!

On-topic: Intresting story. ver.
haas mark

Post by haas mark »

Akira wrote:good read, want more.

Ah, ok. The following chapters go more in-depth into what happened to the other people in the other countries, and then after that I plan on getting back to Kelly and Kristin and Jake and Nick in D.C., and then figuring out how to introduce them all.

Right now, I'm revising Chapter 3, so it's going to take me a bit longer than I thought to post that up, but oh, well.

~ver

Formerly verilon

victorhadin
Padawan Learner

Post by victorhadin »

Ditto. I can't say more until I read more, really.

A few exo-atmospheric bursts and a few airbursts, right?
"Aw hell. We ran the Large-Eddy-Method-With-Allowances-For-Random-Divinity again and look; the flow separation regions have formed into a little cross shape. Look at this, Fred!"

"Blasted computer model, stigmatizing my aeroplane! Lower the Induced-Deity coefficient next time."
haas mark

Post by haas mark »

victorhadin wrote:Ditto. I can't say more until I read more, really.

A few exo-atmospheric bursts and a few airbursts, right?
No, actually... I suddenly realize that those of you posting here haven't read what has already gone on.. I'll try to find links on the archive board later today.

~ver

Formerly verilon

darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

It sounds as though some sort of weapon was used.
haas mark

Post by haas mark »

Here and here.

Surprisingly, victorhadin, you're the one that inspired this fic. :lol: I knew it was from someone posting a topic on this board, but I had forgotten who. :P Go figure.

~ver

Formerly verilon

darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Ufo's do do do do, do do do do, do do do do.
victorhadin
Padawan Learner

Post by victorhadin »

verilon wrote:Here and here.

Surprisingly, victorhadin, you're the one that inspired this fic. :lol: I knew it was from someone posting a topic on this board, but I had forgotten who. :P Go figure.

~ver
A-HA! I thought so! :D

I knew I had given someone such an idea before, and it all seemed oddly familiar, but I couldn't quite remember who.

I shall have to make time to read the rest, in that case. :wink:
"Aw hell. We ran the Large-Eddy-Method-With-Allowances-For-Random-Divinity again and look; the flow separation regions have formed into a little cross shape. Look at this, Fred!"

"Blasted computer model, stigmatizing my aeroplane! Lower the Induced-Deity coefficient next time."
haas mark

Post by haas mark »

victorhadin wrote:
verilon wrote:Here and here.

~ver
A-HA! I thought so! :D

I knew I had given someone such an idea before, and it all seemed oddly familiar, but I couldn't quite remember who.

I shall have to make time to read the rest, in that case. :wink:
Cool. Any critiques you might have will be much appreciated (even moreso than most, at least around the first several chapters seeing as you are the one to have given me the idea). :)

~ver

Formerly verilon

Mr Flibble
Psychic Penguin

Post by Mr Flibble »

I have been waiting for an update on this for ages, I can't believe I missed it. Good work verilon, cant wait for the next update.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

So is DC gone in the sense that there's now a giant hole in the ground, or is everything man-made gone or is there some void where it used t o be?
JADAFETWA
haas mark

Post by haas mark »

Kuja wrote:So is DC gone in the sense that there's now a giant hole in the ground, or is everything man-made gone or is there some void where it used t o be?
That I'm actually trying to decide on, lol. I am thinking of just making it a void, but not a hole in the ground type thing.

~ver

Formerly verilon

Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

darthdavid wrote:It sounds as though some sort of weapon was used.
Seems like a thermonuclear weapon to me.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
haas mark

Post by haas mark »

evilcat4000 wrote:
darthdavid wrote:It sounds as though some sort of weapon was used.
Seems like a thermonuclear weapon to me.
No, actually. I don't really know how to explain the weaponry (it's an alien race, remember :P).. but it's not thermonuclear (else the Antilles family would have been wiped out, being so close to ground zero) and other characters (namely Andrew in Australia and probably the couple in Alexandria, as well as others) would not have felt it at all.

~ver

Formerly verilon