reading starcrossed

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Comosicus,

Thanks for the kind words. And the PDF is amazing, It makes me realize how much work I've put into this puppy and how much more I have left to go.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Comosicus
Keeper of the Lore

Post by Comosicus »

Stravo wrote:
Comosicus wrote:
lukexcom wrote:Hey, Stravo, have you considered putting Starcrossed in off-line format, like a *.pdf file or something?
I have already done that ... a nice ~900 pages MS word document. It was very usefull when my Internet connection broke down :D I was just waiting for the end of the story before transformig into a pdf file. If it's ok with Stravo I'll post it somewhere and give you the link.
900 pages?! Jesus. I've got to end this story before it looks like an L. Ron Hubbard book. I would love to see a PDF version of it.

My humble opinion is that you don't have to cut the story short just because some people think it's too long or things like that ... After all, you can't please us all ... it's really impossible. I think you should just do it your way and not let the outside opinions to push you a way or another. It was a time when I was pushing too (sorry about that), but I've learned that if one tries to satisfy everybody will finish dissapointing everybody.
Not all Dacians died at Sarmizegetusa
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Any suggestions on what kind of music to listen to while reading it?
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Aya wrote:Any suggestions on what kind of music to listen to while reading it?
Depends...one can listen to old TOS, movie or SW tunes for mood.

Usually I require none, but then again at the speed I read...it's sorta pointless.

Pick something that has many overtones to the theme and it'll work best.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

TOS music, eh?
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Oh....God.... oh sweet God.... Stravo has the fic in his monitor... he's gonna post it tonight! OOOOOOHH!!!! Stravo... oooh!

Actually, I concur with Comicosus, your chapters shouldn't be rushed. But your chapters are fucking huge! Maybe you might cut them down, post small bits and all. Would that be good? Hmmm... maybe, or maybe it won't have the same impact as a massive whopper of a chapter which you always deliver.

Hmmm... Stravo, you have made a story which is frigging amazing, 1500 pages, did I hear that? Fuck, that's fucking awesome! That's probably as long as the Bible and a hundred times as good!

When your done with it, maybe you can polish your story a bit. The plot is awesome, but maybe you could put in a bit of detail. It might not be neccessary, since most of us can visualize SW and ST stuff, but how about those new comers?

Hmm.... Stravo, do you have any plans to have someone publish SC into a paper back novel or something?
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Oh....God.... oh sweet God.... Stravo has the fic in his monitor... he's gonna post it tonight! OOOOOOHH!!!! Stravo... oooh!

Actually, I concur with Comicosus, your chapters shouldn't be rushed. But your chapters are fucking huge! Maybe you might cut them down, post small bits and all. Would that be good? Hmmm... maybe, or maybe it won't have the same impact as a massive whopper of a chapter which you always deliver.

Hmmm... Stravo, you have made a story which is frigging amazing, 1500 pages, did I hear that? Fuck, that's fucking awesome! That's probably as long as the Bible and a hundred times as good!

When your done with it, maybe you can polish your story a bit. The plot is awesome, but maybe you could put in a bit of detail. It might not be neccessary, since most of us can visualize SW and ST stuff, but how about those new comers?

Hmm.... Stravo, do you have any plans to have someone publish SC into a paper back novel or something?
He can't publish it. SC is a fanfic, remember? He'd have to somehow convince both Paramount and Lucas' company to let him do it.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Aya wrote:
He can't publish it. SC is a fanfic, remember? He'd have to somehow convince both Paramount and Lucas' company to let him do it.
What if he could do that? He would just pay little itsy bitsy fees and all that.

Or he could change the names a bit so while they might be different, readers will know who and what the characters and whatnot really are. That way, he won't have to pay large fees.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
Aya wrote:
What if he could do that? He would just pay little itsy bitsy fees and all that.

Or he could change the names a bit so while they might be different, readers will know who and what the characters and whatnot really are. That way, he won't have to pay large fees.
But that would literally change the fundemental basis of the story.

That and many fans might decry it as him just ripping off.

It's best if he kept it as fantastic fanfic instead of changing it to fit the package for the mass market.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Comosicus
Keeper of the Lore

Post by Comosicus »

Ghost Rider wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:
Aya wrote:

But that would literally change the fundemental basis of the story.

That and many fans might decry it as him just ripping off.

It's best if he kept it as fantastic fanfic instead of changing it to fit the package for the mass market.
Well, it seems that a lot of other people will miss this awesome story ... too bad for them and lucky us for witnessing the developpement of a very good fanfiction. Let's then be patient and give Stravo the time and support to finish this story.
Not all Dacians died at Sarmizegetusa
SeebianWurm
Padawan Learner

Post by SeebianWurm »

As for reading Starcrossed, I just can't do it. A rather private author myself, I cringe at the lack of polish in the chapters and especially the chapter titles. Little touches like these make any attempts just generally unpleasant.

Then there is also the fact that I've been reading Amy Hempel, and after her, any of these beautifully rich and eloquently described third person narratives just bore the hell out of me. Google "amy hempel harvest" if you want to read a sample - but if you still want to be able to look at your own work without thinking you suck, then don't read it.
[ Ye Olde Coked-Up Werewolf of the Late Knights ]

Fuck fish.
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

She just has... a different writing style. I'm not sure I entirely like it; it's rather rambling.

Of course, the writing style you need depends on what you are attempting to write. A small thing that only concerns a handful of people can be written in the first person. A large story that spans time and space is very difficult to write in the first person.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
SeebianWurm
Padawan Learner

Post by SeebianWurm »

Crayz9000 wrote:She just has... a different writing style. I'm not sure I entirely like it; it's rather rambling.

Of course, the writing style you need depends on what you are attempting to write. A small thing that only concerns a handful of people can be written in the first person. A large story that spans time and space is very difficult to write in the first person.
I understand. It's just that the way she writes completely destroys me. I'm all for the symbolism. The eloquent other ways of writing seemed like a waste of time after I read her.
[ Ye Olde Coked-Up Werewolf of the Late Knights ]

Fuck fish.