Oh, No there goes Tokyo

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Cthulhu-chan
Padawan Learner

Post by Cthulhu-chan »

Are we talking standard anime Kei and Yuri or are we talking Adam Warren Kei and Yuri? The level of tech in Warren's Dirty Pair universe is so uber, they'd be able to take on the Empire. Just the Lovely Angel itself has enough raw power output to supernova a typical yellow star in a few days...
"Heaven is an American salary, a Chinese cook, an English house, and a Japanese wife. Hell is defined as having a Chinese salary, an English cook, a Japanese apartment, and an American wife." -- James H. Kabbler III.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Are the Adam Warren versions the ones that look like shit, and are used for some pieces of American merchandice (like T-shirts, shot glasses, and action figures from DHC)?
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Well there's still the original series, where they had enough power to crack open a planet, or defeat a certain great old one, with their personal weapons.....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

neoolong wrote:Gamera is from Daei Studios.
yes, but that studio got gobbled up by Toho, who distributed the recent Gamera Trillogy. Hence, they are now Toho.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

Post by Smiling Bandit »

I'd just like to say this is the funniest thread I've ever seen.
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
I thought this was a capture the b33r mod?!
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Anime version: Image

Warren Version: Image
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Indeed, that would be them...

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Indeed, that would be them...
Although for the US merchandice, they've made them actually look quite hideous.

The Yosemite Bear

Not to mention we have novel and DP Flash (new anime designed for american audiances)

Classic Anime/Novel ones were capable of BDZ's, and kicking the ass of various lovecraftian horrors....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Majin Gojira wrote:
neoolong wrote:Gamera is from Daei Studios.
yes, but that studio got gobbled up by Toho, who distributed the recent Gamera Trillogy. Hence, they are now Toho.
Ah, but Toho didn't create him.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

The Yosemite Bear wrote:Not to mention we have novel and DP Flash (new anime designed for american audiances)
You sure of that? According to the Anime Encyclopedia, Dirty Pair Flash was just a sequel/spin-off series using different characters in a similar setting with the names of the original characters.

SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

neoolong wrote: Ah, but Toho didn't create him.
It does own them though. At the very least the Heisei versions of Gamera and Gyaos, along with Legion and Irys all didn't show up until after the buy out (I think, I'm not sure)
The Yosemite Bear

They are a new spin off of the original franchise, but they were as per the execs designed to have a more american feel/appeal then the original series, or original anime.

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

I wouldn't call 1994 very new, but there is a bit of truth there, although scrambled.

DP Flash was a sequel OVA made after the satirical American comics were done, and borrowed heavily from them for tone and script elements. So far I see nothing that states they were intended to be more appealing to American audiences, as that was back when a Western fan of anime was just as odd to the Japanese as the idea of a talking dog.

The Yosemite Bear

you know Spanky the Japanese were probably aware there were anime fans over here, after they exported "Speed Racer", "Battle of the Planets", "Space Cruiser Yamoto" and "Pirate Harlok" in the 1970's to early 1980's. If not then 1988, when they started advirtising Akira over here. Or in 1989 when: D & Ninja Scroll were selling gangbusters over here along with the teatrical run of Akira being so well recived. Purhaps in 1989-1990 when Harmony Gold went bankrupt paying to have the Robotech: Sentinals" made rather then purchaing the american rights to a pre-existing anime and modifying it for american audiances.

Also since Ben Dunn had already had underground sucess with "Ninja Highschool" in 1985. "Teenagers from Outerspace" was a very sucessful RPG in 1986, Ako, Gall force, and Fist of the North Star were already available on VHS in 1986. Battletech started in 1984.

The Anime invasion has been going on for quite a long time.

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Don't treat me like I'm an idiot that doesn't already know all that shit. I know that anime has been mainstream in the West since its popularity explosion in 1995, which was fueld in 1989 with [/i]Akira[/i]'s release in the West.

What I'm saying is that untill very recently, Japanese thought that Western fans of anime was an extremely odd concept. Hell, just about a year or two ago, Miyazaki was reported saying in an interview that he still didn't see why anime was as popular out in the West as it.

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Note that independent, underground, or fanwork is fringe, not mainstream, and that's why I ignored it.

I wasn't talking about any of that trivial shit.

SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

"Speed Racer", "Battle of the Planets" and "Yamato" are 'trivial shit'? What bizarre alter-reality do you live in?
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

No, trivial was refering to something else.

Pre-1995 underground and fan work is "trivial" in regards to mainstream popularity, which was solely what I was talking about from the very beginning.

SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:No, trivial was refering to something else.
Then what's the reasoning for trying to say anime became popular years after these series? If the Japanese really considered Western fans of anime wierd during this period, it's their own blindness, not any lack of mainstream appeal.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

I know it was because of their own blindness, that's not what I was saying.

All I was saying was that just because DP Flash borrowed some elements from the Warren DP comics, doesn't automatically mean that the production company made DP Flash with the intention of making it more appealing to American audiances, unless Bear actually has some proof or a source, of course.

I just went off tangent because he did it first.

The Yosemite Bear

Actually Frank Miller would be the biggest mainstream influence, getting Marvel Comics to release Lone Wolf and Cub, and Akira back before 1988. Not to mention Ronin in DC.

Rubberanvil
Jedi Master

Post by Rubberanvil »

SirNitram wrote:
Spanky The Dolphin wrote:No, trivial was refering to something else.
Then what's the reasoning for trying to say anime became popular years after these series? If the Japanese really considered Western fans of anime wierd during this period, it's their own blindness, not any lack of mainstream appeal.
Sounds more like an overly broad generalization, especially if Spanky isn't refering only to the western otakus.
The Yosemite Bear

Of course some of us got started with epic battles in rainstorms...

and that was George lucas inspiring live action.