Writers Block?

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Straha
Lord of the Spam

Writers Block?

Post by Straha »

Does anyone have advice for how to break through Writers block with something like a mental sledgehammer?
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Re: Writers Block?

Post by Singular Quartet »

Straha wrote:Does anyone have advice for how to break through Writers block with something like a mental sledgehammer?
Even if I did, I'd keep it to myself because I am an evil, evil person.
victorhadin
Padawan Learner

Post by victorhadin »

Depends what kind of story it is or what style you are into.

A good guide would be to think of the motives of characters; what they want. To think of worlds as they might be if certain small things were different. To think of how you would act in an alien situation.

Think vague, not specific.
"Aw hell. We ran the Large-Eddy-Method-With-Allowances-For-Random-Divinity again and look; the flow separation regions have formed into a little cross shape. Look at this, Fred!"

"Blasted computer model, stigmatizing my aeroplane! Lower the Induced-Deity coefficient next time."
The Aliens
Keeper of the Lore
Location: hovering high up above, making home movies for the folks back home.

Post by The Aliens »

Best idea is to keep writing, even if its garbage. In my experience, even if I turn out ten pages of utter crap, it usually leads to a decent idea somewhere down the road.
| Lorekeeper | EBC |
| SEGNOR | Knights |

..French....................Music..................
|::::::::|::::::::|::::::::|::::::::|
.................Comics...................Fiction..
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

victorhadin wrote:Depends what kind of story it is or what style you are into.

A good guide would be to think of the motives of characters; what they want. To think of worlds as they might be if certain small things were different. To think of how you would act in an alien situation.

Think vague, not specific.
No, see I've got this one very good, very dramatic scene all played out in my head but I A. I can't describe the participants well enough without breaking the scene, and B. I just can't seem to get the scene the way I want it.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Well, there's no rush. Build up to this big scene, describe the characters on the way, and take some time to think it over.

Go for a walk, listen to some music, or watch some TV. That's how I come up with a lot of ideas.
JADAFETWA
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Kuja wrote:Well, there's no rush. Build up to this big scene, describe the characters on the way, and take some time to think it over.

Go for a walk, listen to some music, or watch some TV. That's how I come up with a lot of ideas.
I did that, for a week. I think I came up with a better way to do it, and I'm working it in now, but it's awkward. I should have it posted tommorow.

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Try taking a shit. Just sit in the toilet, doing nothing and working your mind. Hey, it works for me!
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Hearing about writer's block usually cures me of it.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
victorhadin
Padawan Learner

Post by victorhadin »

Straha wrote:
No, see I've got this one very good, very dramatic scene all played out in my head but I A. I can't describe the participants well enough without breaking the scene, and B. I just can't seem to get the scene the way I want it.
A similar problem is striking me. I am at a venture in which a rather significant revelation has come to light in Ambassadors, but want to play out the otherwise rather simple scene to take full advantage of it before things move on and get complicated.

And exams aren't helping, admittedly.
"Aw hell. We ran the Large-Eddy-Method-With-Allowances-For-Random-Divinity again and look; the flow separation regions have formed into a little cross shape. Look at this, Fred!"

"Blasted computer model, stigmatizing my aeroplane! Lower the Induced-Deity coefficient next time."
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Listen to music. The kind of music depends on whether the story is scifi or fantasy.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
victorhadin
Padawan Learner

Post by victorhadin »

*Listens to the Red Alert Hell March and has visions of tank battles on a scorched and blasted planet.*

Blimey. Not appropriate at all... but nice.