Why is Ikea so popular?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Why is Ikea so popular?

Post by Galvatron »

I don't get it. I understand that it's relatively cheap, but what's the big deal? Especially with girls. They love that shit. Is it supposed to be cute? :?

The Non-Expert: IKEA
Last edited by Galvatron on 2004-02-01 03:49am, edited 1 time in total.
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

Hehe, good stuff there, I do rather like some of Ikea's stuff, I've seen some nice designs in there and some of it's fairly tasteful. Mind you, the most fun is finding the shortcuts through the dreaded one-way system of Hell!
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Durable, inexpensive, and simple. Most of what IKEA sells goes with just about everything.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

I'm sure those wierd commercials they have have something to do with it.

What I don't get is why Starbucks is so popular. I mean, so what if the coffee's like anywhere else, but twice as expensive?
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
AnimeJet
Jedi Knight

Post by AnimeJet »

It's huge, and its fun to play the sit on their furniture XD... ._.
"Everyone is a Nintendo Fan when no one is looking"
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Never heard of it.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Never heard of it.
This is their global website.

This is their American website.

No locations in Iowa yet.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

Same here, Spanky.
SeebianWurm
Padawan Learner

Post by SeebianWurm »

Fight Club is my theory. ("Like so many others, I had become a slave to the IKEA nesting instinct.")

Then again, that's my answer for everything.
[ Ye Olde Coked-Up Werewolf of the Late Knights ]

Fuck fish.
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

LOL! How timely I went there today with some friends.

Do not buy there kitchen wear, its falls apart quick, but it is cheap! Otherwise its a good place is you are moving out for the first time.

The furniture is simple and function and the price is right. I bought a pretty nice desktop for 50 bucks, just a minor nick. Then I picked out some legs to match for 5 bucks.

We have two locations in the bay area, Emeryville and East Palo Alto. Both are zoos on the weekend. But hey I got to toss my 'neice' into one of the play pens full of plastic balls!
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE
Thinkmarble
Jedi Knight

Post by Thinkmarble »

IVAR ! IVAR ! IVAR ! Woot !
:oops:
Erm.
Their shelf system juts plain rocks.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

SeebianWurm wrote:Fight Club is my theory. ("Like so many others, I had become a slave to the IKEA nesting instinct.")

Then again, that's my answer for everything.
[Tyler Durden]Deliver me from Swedish furniture![/Tyler Durden]
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

What the fuck is Ikea?
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

Howedar wrote:What the fuck is Ikea?
A huge Sweedish furniture company that operates gigantic retail stores. They just opened one up near my house and it is the size of a fucking football stadium.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

I hear the food's supposed to be pretty good.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

IKEA is cool :)

Have two stores near my city (and 34 stores in Germany), which means all you other countries are just developing countries when it comes down to the greatness of IKEA. :) 25% of their turnover is generated in Germany, so you can call us IKEA-crazy I guess <g>
It's relatively cheap, and whenever I go in, I buy more stuff than initially planned (especially in the kitchen's dept.)

As a sidenote: I'm relieved that Starbucks took a nose-beating in the German market. Why I have to pay hideously amounts of money for a coffee I can get better, and cheaper, in one of the countless cafés is beyond me...
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

I'm going to have to get my sister on this thread...she's working for 'em.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Their stuff is famously artsy among the 'non-classics' crowd. And a lot of it is insanely durable for the price you pay, making it big among the students and young homeowner's market.

Plus their commercials are by far the best on TV. "You feel sorry for ze lamp? Zat is because you are crazy. It has no feelings! And it can always be replaced with better at Ikea."
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

IKEA: Swedish for "takes two to carry" (Not really, but it sounds good.)

IKEA's furniture is functional, (reasonably) attractive, and relatively inexpensive. My dining room table, for example, is from IKEA. It's a beefy, 6' long, 1.5" thick top with 4" x 4" for legs, all solid wood in an antique finish, and it was $300. Very reasonable, and for this reason, their stuff is very popular.

I personally don't care for a lot of their avant-garde stuff, but I find their furniture rather useful, for the most part.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Howedar wrote:What the fuck is Ikea?
Swedish attempt at covertly taking over the world, IKEA furniture comes pre-installed with the latest model of your own shadow-goverment's mind-controll devices(patent pending).
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

It's popular where I live because it's in the inner city, and the sales tax is half the normal rate for New Jersey.

EDIT - wording
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
AylaKat
Redshirt

Post by AylaKat »

Why I'm discussing my job on my free time is beyond me.

IKEA is so popular because you can get all kinds of shit for cheap. Some of the stuff is cool. Some of the shit is ugly. Some of the shit is just cheap shit.

I just started working in their bedrooms department. I was introduced to a bed known as the Vestby bed. My coworker lovingly referred to it as a piece of shit. It was two wooden bars, parallel, with beams going across it. That's it. No design, nothing interesting. You could spend an extra $50 and get a bed with a halfway decent design, but no, people want the official piece of shit!

Um. Anyway. Everyone should come visit me in IKEA in Hicksville and watch me be a slave to the Swedes. And buy a Pax unit, you can do anything with it.
"Until today, it really pissed me off that I'd become this totally centered Zen Master and nobody had noticed. Still, I'm doing the little FAX thing. I write little HAIKU things and FAX them around to everyone. When I pass people in the hall at work, I get totally ZEN right in everyone's hostile little FACE."

--Fight Club
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Zaia wrote:
Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Never heard of it.
This is their global website.

This is their American website.

No locations in Iowa yet.

He can take a road trip to Schaumberg, IL (suberb of Chicago) or wait until this summer and drive up to Minneapolis/St. Paul for the grand opening of their new store. :)
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

After an extraordinarly frustrating session in which the local IKEA customer service utterly failed in all possible capacities the father of one of my friend's led a disillusioned crowd in a chant that revealed the true meaning behind IKEA's name: "I KANT EXECUTE ANYTHING"

But hey, I kinda like them.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
apocolypse
Jedi Knight

Post by apocolypse »

There's a few IKEA's in the L.A. area. It's not bad, some of it is really horrible, but some is pretty decent. And like other's have said, the prices are good, and the product last a long time. I bought my dresser for maybe 60 bucks (I can't remember the exact amount) and it looks fine and holds up well. It's insidious like that. :D