Book Recommendations

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Alex Moon
Rabid Monkey

Book Recommendations

Post by Alex Moon »

Ok people. Anything you've read lately that you would recommend others read ? Can be any genre, not just sci-fi. I'll go first.

Baudolino, by Umberto Eco

The story of an italian peasent who is adopted by Emperor Fredrick Barbarossa. Baudolino is given the task of finding the legendary kingdom of Prestor John, a task which becomes the focus of his life. Eco writes very well, and the relationship between him and Fredrick provides for some of the best parts of the story. Some of the secondary characters are a little weak, but the characters of Abdul and the Poet make up for it. The story touches upon love, friendship, betrayal, and the death of ideals.

The Girl Who Played Go, by Shan Sa

A coming of age novel and love story about a Japanese Soldier in occupied Manchuria during the 1930s and a young Chinese girl in a remote Manchurian town. The flawed personalities of both characters makes the ending all the more powerful. Sa manages to create very human characters who find themselves in conflict with their desires and who struggle to understand a world that they cannot. As the world around them begins to deteriorate, the two play a series of games in the town square, neither knowing the other's name, and yet both trying to understand their mysterious opponent.
Warwolves | VRWC | BotM | Writer's Guild | Pie loves Rei
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Battle Royale by Koshun Takami.

Forget the movies, forget the manga, just read the book. It's the best fucking movie you'll ever read in your life.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F. Hamilton. First in the Night's Dawn trilogy and I love it. The LotR of sci-fi thus far, has some slow points and some characters can leave a lot to be desired, but epic is a gross understatement.
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

Well, obviously the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan...

...and King's On Writing was amazing...

I'm more into GLBT lit, though. E.M. Forster's Maurice is a good place to start. Also Angels in America, though the author's name escapes me now...
Proud owner of The Fleshlight
G.A.L.E. Force - Bisexual Airborn Division
SDnet Resident Psycho Clown

"I hear and behold God in every object, yet I understand God not in the least, / Nor do I understand who there can be more wonderful than myself."
--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

A friend from work said she'd get me the Spellsinger books. Where they any good?
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

Life of Pi was quite good, enjoyed that. My mates disagree however... I forget who wrote it.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

Memoirs of a Geisha
Adored it. Absolutely adored it.

Pillars of the Earth
A little too WoT/SoT in terms of characteristion, but at least there's some kick ass heroines (really. If you're sick of weak women who get rescued by richard Rahl, this is great). Not fantasy, but Medieval.
"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

The Elegant Universe by Brain Greene.

I picked it up as I was slightly curious about the hoopla over Superstring Theory. Thereaosn I really recommend it is that he offers, perhaps, the most clear and easily followed explanation fo Relativity (Special and General) as well as the fundamental underpinnings of Quantum Mechanics. Now he doesn't get into equations (which means I have no fancy math to abuse on the board) but the understanding of the root of the theories is a REAL big help if you'e interested in the topics which I suspect many here are.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

I've enjoyed reading Wittgenstein's Poker, a really good book about the philosopher and his personality and the personality of Karl Popper.
WE, however, do meddle in the affairs of others.
What part of [ Image,Image, N(Image) ] don't you understand?
Skeptical Armada Cynic: ROU Aggressive Logic
SDN Ranger: Skeptical Ambassador
EOD
Mr Golgotha, Ms Scheck, we're running low on skin. I suggest you harvest another lesbian!
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Steve Pressfield's "Gates of Fire" & "Tides of War" cool anchient Greek historical fiction.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Good Omens
From Terry Pratehett creator of Discworld
A pretty good take on the Apocalypse and how the birth of the Anti-Christ is mishandled and he grows up an ordinary child whilest an Angel and a Demon do their best to stave off The End of Everything whilst the forth Bikers of the Apocalypse ride forth :D

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
The Aliens
Keeper of the Lore
Location: hovering high up above, making home movies for the folks back home.

Post by The Aliens »

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy- a Trilogy in Five Parts, by the late Douglas Adams. A mixture of Scie-Fi and comedy that everyone should read.

Also- Rendezvous with Rama, by Arthur C. Clarke. Story about an extra-terrestrial ship that enters the Solar System in the year 2150. As opposed to Star Trek, Clarke knows his science, which makes for an excelent read.
| Lorekeeper | EBC |
| SEGNOR | Knights |

..French....................Music..................
|::::::::|::::::::|::::::::|::::::::|
.................Comics...................Fiction..
Cornelius
Jedi Knight

Post by Cornelius »

Brave New World is a good choice :) Or books of Redwall...if you like fantasy.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Catch-22: Simply the greatest book ever.

Shogun: Absolutely fantastic historical novel about an Englishman trapped in feudal Japan. An epic tale about a clash of societies, the role of mankind, and the coming of a greater age. Some of the exposition drags and you won't exactly root for the Japanese (at least, I didn't), but its one of the best books I've ever read.

The Black Company: It forms the first of a trilogy, followed by Shadows Linger and The White Rose, which together make up quite possibly the greatest fantasy series I have ever read. Dark, funny, and epic.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

the "dark future" series by jack yeovil.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

On a Pale Horse- How can you not like a book where hte main character shoots Death in the face within the first 30 pages? :D
SeebianWurm
Padawan Learner

Post by SeebianWurm »

American Psycho - Be afraid.
[ Ye Olde Coked-Up Werewolf of the Late Knights ]

Fuck fish.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Anything by Neal T. Stephenson, especially Snow Crash.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

I very doubt many have read Alastor by Jack Vance. If you somehow manage to find it, try it out.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Dorsk 81
Sith Devotee

Post by Dorsk 81 »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Battle Royale by Koshun Takami.
Bastard beat me to it, although I was a little slow on the up take.
Forget the movies, forget the manga, just read the book. It's the best fucking movie you'll ever read in your life.
Don't forget the manga! It's brilliant!

Anyway, more on topic...

I've just read The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks for about the seventh time. It's meant to be humor, but it's written soooo seriously, and that's what makes it so funny.
"I would, for instance, fellate a smurf before I pick death." Dylan Moran
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." Albert Einstein
EBC's Devonian Deviant | GALE's Supplementary Bi Brit | BoTM's Raw Recruit | GDC's Horny Delphinidae | I'm with RMA | CoIB
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

If the manga is at all different from the book, you better fucking forget it. :P

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

TH White: The Once and Future King, Arthur and Merlin Rock!, and the half demon is much more pro-human then in almost any other depiction.
Last edited by The Yosemite Bear on 2004-02-18 03:11am, edited 1 time in total.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Dorsk 81
Sith Devotee

Post by Dorsk 81 »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:If the manga is at all different from the book, you better fucking forget it. :P
Have you read the manga? It's fucking brilliant!
And speaking of the book, I had one of my best friends whining about it the other day, saying it was boring! :shock:
"I would, for instance, fellate a smurf before I pick death." Dylan Moran
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." Albert Einstein
EBC's Devonian Deviant | GALE's Supplementary Bi Brit | BoTM's Raw Recruit | GDC's Horny Delphinidae | I'm with RMA | CoIB
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

I have only read the book: I simply refuse to read the manga or see the movie. There is simply no way that either of them could even compare to what I generated in my head while reading the book, and I wish not to possibly corrupt it in any way.

Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

The Animal Firm by Orwell is a great book. Its is about animals but yet clearly demonstrates the conflict between communism and capitalism.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.