Probably the best band ever.

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Probably the best band ever.

Post by Queeb Salaron »

So I was thinking about it, and I formulated probably the greatest rock and roll band of all time. Get this:

Elton John - Vocals (Lyrics written by Paul Simon)
Billy Joel - Piano
Bruce Springsteen - Rhythm Guitar
Eric Clapton - Lead Guitar
Phil Collins - Drums
Sting - Bass
Proud owner of The Fleshlight
G.A.L.E. Force - Bisexual Airborn Division
SDnet Resident Psycho Clown

"I hear and behold God in every object, yet I understand God not in the least, / Nor do I understand who there can be more wonderful than myself."
--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

how bout Randy Rhoades for lead guitar? admittedly he's dead, but he kicked ass while he was alive.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
TheDarkOne
Youngling

Post by TheDarkOne »

How about

John Lennon
Paul McCartney
George Harrison
Ringo Star

:)
+++Divide by cucumber error, please reinstall universe and reboot+++
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

Darth_Zod wrote:how bout Randy Rhoades for lead guitar? admittedly he's dead, but he kicked ass while he was alive.
I agree, but it was a bit of a different genre. As far as musicianship goes, I'd take him over just about anyone (Except Satriani, Van Halen, Malmsteen, Vai and MAYBE Hammet and Iomi). Clapton has the better sound and background, though. Rhodes was more on the hair-metal side of the spectrum (Classical/Baroque/Romantic influence) whereas Clapton comes from an American blues (and later British rock 'n' roll) background. That's the texture I was looking for.

I was trying to come up with a better bassist, though. Any thoughts?

"I hear and behold God in every object, yet I understand God not in the least, / Nor do I understand who there can be more wonderful than myself."
--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

TheDarkOne wrote:How about

John Lennon
Paul McCartney
George Harrison
Ringo Star

Dead, sucks, dead and sucked when he was alive, sucks bigtime and should be dead.

I take a very Bob Dylan stance on the Beatles. Please let's not mention them again.

--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
TheDarkOne
Youngling

Post by TheDarkOne »

Queeb Salaron wrote:
TheDarkOne wrote:How about

John Lennon
Paul McCartney
George Harrison
Ringo Star

Dead, sucks, dead and sucked when he was alive, sucks bigtime and should be dead.

I take a very Bob Dylan stance on the Beatles. Please let's not mention them again.
heh...you wanted the best band ever *shrugs*
+++Divide by cucumber error, please reinstall universe and reboot+++
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

You going to Include Mick Ronson in that list? Or are you going to be missing out on one of the best guitarists of all times?
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

Straha wrote:You going to Include Mick Ronson in that list? Or are you going to be missing out on one of the best guitarists of all times?
Unfortunately few people know Ronson at all. But yes, he's on that list, too, though not in the band.

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Al ... ieblow.JPG
This automatically disqualifies him from the band. Though I'm sure Elton might have something to say about that... ;)

Edit: Ok... so I'll link the pic instead. :P
Edit again: Ok... so the pic isn't there anymore...
Last edited by Queeb Salaron on 2004-02-18 01:56pm, edited 2 times in total.

--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Steven Tyler-Backup/lead vocals
Joe Perry- rythym/lead guitar
Eddie Van Halen- everything.
Flea-bass
Max Weinberg-Drums
David Bowie-Lead/backup vocals

Woot! Two lead guitarists, two lead singers. all great.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Queeb Salaron wrote:Dead, sucks, dead and sucked when he was alive, sucks bigtime and should be dead.

I hope you don't mind if I set you on fire right now... :P
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Vocals: Burton C Bell of Fear Factory, many wouldn't put him as the "best" vocalist, but his style really appeals to me.
That chick from cradle would be pretty good too.

Drums: Raymond Herrera form Fear Factory again...or maybe that guy who was in dimmu and cradle (nick cave i think his name was?) again, call me a fanwhore, but there's not many who could do self bias resistor justice. In fact, i'll listen to that now.

Lead guitar: Zakk Wylde or Dimebag Darrel from Pantera, i'd say Steve Vai, but he'd probably end up annoying me with excessive solo-ing.

Rhythm guitar: Guy from Crowbar maybe? Or maybe Dime and the guy from crowbar, the guitarists could do the whole swapping of lead thing...or the guy from morbid angel.

Bass: Hot woman from white zombie maybe? Maybe the bassist from Death, they've got funky bass guitar stuff.

Synth/samples/keyboards etc: Person from Gary Numan's band. Or person from dimmu.

DJ (cos i secretly like the sounds of decks) - whoever it was that did the scratching in FF's Edgecrusher or DT's Glass Prison.

Creative insights from Rob Zombie and Basement Jaxx. :mrgreen:

Yes, my tastes are strange. :P

EDIT: I want an orchestra in there too, so the London Philharmonic it is.
Last edited by Rye on 2004-02-18 01:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

BAH!

Elton John: Piano
Flea (RHCP): Bass guitar
Brian May (Queen): Rythim Guitar
Slash (Guns and Roses): Lead Guitar
Carter Beauford (Dave Matthwes Band): Drums
Stevie Wonder: Lead Vocals
Sarah McLachlin, Tori Amos, Issac Hayes: Backup Vocals
With the Horn section from Tower of Power!

now THAT is a band.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

Chardok wrote:Steven Tyler-Backup/lead vocals
Flea-bass
Max Weinberg-Drums
Eh, not bad. Different kind of rock, but still kinda cool. I'd take Slash over Perry, though. Satriani would even fit that band well.

Van Halen is a nice touch; I'd LOVE to see him and Satriani throw down dualing solos.

Flea isn't a BAD bassist... in fact he's quite good... but it's not the sound you're looking for. I'd put Les Claypool in that band before Flea.

Max Weinberg... well... Sure. I guess that fits.

And David Bowie will need to be dusted off before he performs. The only man in the world whose early 80's era leather pants are now too big for him.

--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Queeb Salaron wrote:
Chardok wrote:Steven Tyler-Backup/lead vocals
Flea-bass
Max Weinberg-Drums
Eh, not bad. Different kind of rock, but still kinda cool. I'd take Slash over Perry, though. Satriani would even fit that band well.
I was thinking perhaps Satriani, but he's a bit cliche', you know what I mean? I liked all his stuff up until he did "Summer Song" (Which was great) But after that, his stuff all seemed to be a bit uninspired...
Van Halen is a nice touch; I'd LOVE to see him and Satriani throw down dualing solos.
Dualing Stratocasters...wonder if anyone has ever tried it....
Flea isn't a BAD bassist... in fact he's quite good... but it's not the sound you're looking for. I'd put Les Claypool in that band before Flea.
On the contrary! I picked Flea because of his versatility! The band I picked is full of alot of high-energy players, who may or may not be able to pull off a ballad or two, (Bowie=not a balladeer) so I immediately thought of Flea's hard-hitting bass work, which, when coupled with eddies screaming yet at the same time, subdued guitar rocking would complement each other well.
Max Weinberg... well... Sure. I guess that fits.
when does Max *not* fit? ;-)
And David Bowie will need to be dusted off before he performs. The only man in the world whose early 80's era leather pants are now too big for him.
Conceeded, though once dusted, his smooth baritone voice can kinda clean the edges off of Tyler's general Screechiness.
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

Rye wrote:Vocals: Burton C Bell of Fear Factory, many wouldn't put him as the "best" vocalist, but his style really appeals to me.
That chick from cradle would be pretty good too.
I hope you don't mean Cradle of Filth... I think that's a dude. And for the record, I do like Bell, but if I were going to take a singer it'd be the guy from Godhead, or maybe Dave Draiman.
Drums: Raymond Herrera form Fear Factory again...or maybe that guy who was in dimmu and cradle (nick cave i think his name was?) again, call me a fanwhore, but there's not many who could do self bias resistor justice. In fact, i'll listen to that now.
I think Danny Carey could... And I'd pick him over Cave. But Herrera is just fucking nuts on the double bass, so I might run two drum sets like those lame-ass guys from Godsmack, only these guys would be GOOD.
Lead guitar: Zakk Wylde or Dimebag Darrel from Pantera, i'd say Steve Vai, but he'd probably end up annoying me with excessive solo-ing.
And while I see where you're coming from, for this band I'd definitely want Vai for his proficiency with guitar effects. He's got an ear for sound, and while Wylde and Darrel have the chops, they don't have the ear.
Rhythm guitar: Guy from Crowbar maybe? Or maybe Dime and the guy from crowbar, the guitarists could do the whole swapping of lead thing...or the guy from morbid angel.
If you want to swap lead, and if you're stuck on Dime, I'd go with Max Cavalera. The two sounds would compliment each other nicely. Possibly Kerry King, too, but that might be pushing it.
Bass: Hot woman from white zombie maybe? Maybe the bassist from Death, they've got funky bass guitar stuff.
A) The chick from Coal Chamber was WAY hotter, and B) I'm still going with Les Claypool.
Synth/samples/keyboards etc: Person from Gary Numan's band. Or person from dimmu.
Dimmu Borgir scares me. Which is precicely why I like the choice of their synth guy here. :)
DJ (cos i secretly like the sounds of decks) - whoever it was that did the scratching in FF's Edgecrusher or DT's Glass Prison.
Hmm... That's a good question, because that was some good work on the tables on those albums. I was personally gonna suggest the guy from Linkin Park, as he's one of two people in that band with talent, but the whoever did Edgecrusher was by FAR the better DJ.
Creative insights from Rob Zombie and Basement Jaxx. :mrgreen:
Rob Zombie is an artistic junkie who is all but burnt out. I say thee nay!
EDIT: I want an orchestra in there too, so the London Philharmonic it is.
Ok... Kiss did some nice stuff with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, and Metallica rocked the San Francisco Symphony, I guess all that's left is London, Boston and Chicago. Is Ozawa still conducting London?

--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

Chardok wrote:I was thinking perhaps Satriani, but he's a bit cliche', you know what I mean? I liked all his stuff up until he did "Summer Song" (Which was great) But after that, his stuff all seemed to be a bit uninspired...
Hmm. I suppose we could make a compromise and say either Eric Johnson or Yngwie Malmsteen. I'd go for Johnson, simply because he knows what he's doing and I'm convinced that Yngwie just plays scales really fast.
Dualing Stratocasters...wonder if anyone has ever tried it....
First of all, I believe Satriani is on an Ibanez strat look-alike, not a strat. Could be wrong, though.

Second, I've never seen it. The closest I've seen (aside from Clapton and Beck, which wasn't really dualing) was in the 1984 film Crossroads where there is a duel between Steve Vai on a Jackson strat look-alike, and Ralph Machio (The Karate Kid) on a tele. GREAT movie.
On the contrary! I picked Flea because of his versatility! The band I picked is full of alot of high-energy players, who may or may not be able to pull off a ballad or two, (Bowie=not a balladeer) so I immediately thought of Flea's hard-hitting bass work, which, when coupled with eddies screaming yet at the same time, subdued guitar rocking would complement each other well.
I see where you're coming from. But I don't think you can beat Claypool for versatility and energy.
when does Max *not* fit? ;-)
Point taken.
Conceeded, though once dusted, his smooth baritone voice can kinda clean the edges off of Tyler's general Screechiness.
That is if Steven doesn't devour him whole like he almost did to Mary J Blige at the superbowl in '01.

--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

Now, as for the crackpot...
Col. Crackpot wrote:BAH!

Elton John: Piano
Flea (RHCP): Bass guitar
Brian May (Queen): Rythim Guitar
Slash (Guns and Roses): Lead Guitar
Carter Beauford (Dave Matthwes Band): Drums
Stevie Wonder: Lead Vocals
Sarah McLachlin, Tori Amos, Issac Hayes: Backup Vocals
With the Horn section from Tower of Power!

now THAT is a band.
I was with you up until Issac Hayes. If you think he's a backup singer, you're friggin' nuts. Besides, his tone simply wouldn't mesh with either McLaughlin or Amos, neither of which are backup singers, either.

And I like the band so long as you let Elton sing with Stevie, and you let May write the music.

--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Queeb Salaron wrote: I hope you don't mean Cradle of Filth... I think that's a dude. And for the record, I do like Bell, but if I were going to take a singer it'd be the guy from Godhead, or maybe Dave Draiman.
No, i'm talking about their female opera singer, "Sarah Jezebel Deva" according to google, she's also done female vocals for therion and mortiis.
I think Danny Carey could... And I'd pick him over Cave. But Herrera is just fucking nuts on the double bass, so I might run two drum sets like those lame-ass guys from Godsmack, only these guys would be GOOD.
That could have some interesting outcomes, auditorily.
If you want to swap lead, and if you're stuck on Dime, I'd go with Max Cavalera. The two sounds would compliment each other nicely. Possibly Kerry King, too, but that might be pushing it.
I was considering Max, but i think he'd just try to make everything sound like Roots.
A) The chick from Coal Chamber was WAY hotter, and B) I'm still going with Les Claypool.
Another one i've just considered would be the guy from type o. He's quite satisfying. Person from Death still appeals though.

Chances out they'd all be drowned out for everything other than bridging sections anyway. :P
Dimmu Borgir scares me. Which is precicely why I like the choice of their synth guy here. :)
I suggest getting "Phantasmagoria" by them, some cool organ keyboard work in that to impress the pants off cradle.
Rob Zombie is an artistic junkie who is all but burnt out. I say thee nay!
Well, as long as there's addictive repetive bits in it occasionally, a la rob zombie, i'll be happy.
Ok... Kiss did some nice stuff with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, and Metallica rocked the San Francisco Symphony, I guess all that's left is London, Boston and Chicago. Is Ozawa still conducting London?
Yeah, apparently Dimmu had some genuine mini orchestral bits on their puritanical something-something album. I just think it adds epicness. :D
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Gotta get Slash and Angus Young together. Dueling guitars! Rockin.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Queeb Salaron wrote:http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Al ... ieblow.JPG
This automatically disqualifies him from the band. Though I'm sure Elton might have something to say about that... ;)
What's wrong with giving fake on-stage fellatio?
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

Rye wrote:No, i'm talking about their female opera singer, "Sarah Jezebel Deva" according to google, she's also done female vocals for therion and mortiis.
Oh, that's right. The rather portly lady. I remember her now. Though I wouldn't put "Sang for Mortiis" on a resume... :wink:
I was considering Max, but i think he'd just try to make everything sound like Roots.
But you MIGHT pull off a cool Sepultura vibe, which might mix well.
Another one i've just considered would be the guy from type o. He's quite satisfying. Person from Death still appeals though.
Oooh. I like the guy from Type O Negative.
I suggest getting "Phantasmagoria" by them, some cool organ keyboard work in that to impress the pants off cradle.
Have it, and while I like the album, I still prefer Cradle's "Bitter Suites to Succubi" (Which, by the way, is the coolest album title since Ted Nugents "Intensity in Ten Cities.")
Well, as long as there's addictive repetive bits in it occasionally, a la rob zombie, i'll be happy.
Meh. I can do without the repetition.
Yeah, apparently Dimmu had some genuine mini orchestral bits on their puritanical something-something album. I just think it adds epicness. :D
Agreed. Too bad BSO wouldn't ever mix blood with death metal. :)

--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

Dalton wrote:Gotta get Slash and Angus Young together. Dueling guitars! Rockin.
Slash and Angus? Surely we can do better.

Eddie Van Halen and Joe Satriani has already been mentioned, for one.
Steve Vai vs. Tom Morello (effects ingenuity)
Satriani vs. Kirk Hammet (Teacher vs. Student)
Jeff Beck vs. Stevie Ray Vaughan (So what if he's dead?!)

Of course, if we're talking pure fantasy...

Django Reindhardt vs. Andres Segovia

Edit: Also:

Robert Johnson vs. Clapton

(Someone start a guitar duels VS thread. I'm getting all worked up.)

--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

For a traditional heavy metal act:

Vocals: Eric Adams (Manowar)
Guitars: Either Tipton & Downing (Judas Priest) or Murray & Smith. (Iron Maiden)
Bass: Joey DeMaio (Manowar)
Drums: Either Scott Travis (Judas Priest) or Scott Columbus (Manowar)

Of course, I can try putting together other types of bands... but I'm not just in the mood for it.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

Ok, if we're going for a more modern feel (which I think we are starting to lean towards) then try this one on for size:

Vocals: Dave Draiman (Disturbed)
Rhythm: Christian Olde Wolbers (Fear Factory)
Lead: Peter Lindgren (Opeth)
Bass: Robert Trujillo (Metallica)
Drums: Danny Carey (Tool)
Synth: Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails)

Comments?

--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
Saurencaerthai
Jedi Master

Re: Probably the best band ever.

Post by Saurencaerthai »

Queeb Salaron wrote: Phil Collins - Drums
Exactly how did you get him on the drums?!
Queeb Salaron wrote:Eric Clapton - Lead Guitar
Ummmm, again, why?
Last edited by Saurencaerthai on 2004-02-18 03:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music can name the un-nameable and communicate with the unknowable.
-Leonard Bernstein