Writing in past tense

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Jaded Masses
Jedi Knight

Writing in past tense

Post by Jaded Masses »

What do y'all think about writing in the past tense, as if the narrator was telling a story? Do you think it detracts (perhaps because one can assume the narrator is in some form alive?) from a story or what?. I ask because I am writing a stroy as of now (inspired by the thief games) and thats how I'm doing it.....
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Most stories are told in the past tense. :wink:
Jaded Masses
Jedi Knight

Post by Jaded Masses »

Rogue 9 wrote:Most stories are told in the past tense. :wink:
and most fiction isn't very good ... I want to know what you think about it, not "most readers".
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Conventionally fiction is written either in past tense third person, or past tense first person. The former being more common.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Jaded Masses
Jedi Knight

Post by Jaded Masses »

NecronLord wrote:Conventionally fiction is written either in past tense third person, or past tense first person. The former being more common.
Is it acceptable to switch between the two, and switch between first person characters?
haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Post by haas mark »

Jaded Masses wrote:
NecronLord wrote:Conventionally fiction is written either in past tense third person, or past tense first person. The former being more common.
Is it acceptable to switch between the two, and switch between first person characters?
No, and no, respectively. On the latter, particularly, stick to third person, not first, if you'll be switching between characters' mindsets. The point of a first person narrative is that there is one person telling the story.

~ver
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005

Jaded Masses
Jedi Knight

Post by Jaded Masses »

As long as I'm looking for help with my story, is it okay to have your character being tortured in the first few paragraphs, or is that jumping the gun a little?
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Depends on where you're going with the story. Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves opens with a torture scene. There may be a few others.
Jaded Masses
Jedi Knight

Post by Jaded Masses »

verilon wrote:
Jaded Masses wrote:Is it acceptable to switch between the two, and switch between first person characters?
No, and no, respectively. On the latter, particularly, stick to third person, not first, if you'll be switching between characters' mindsets. The point of a first person narrative is that there is one person telling the story.

~ver
Thanks. Just to clarify, does switching between a 1st person thoughts to a 3rd person description of the actions of another character okay? or should you describe them though the mind of the 1st character even if he isn't directly there? Since this is in past tense it would not be inconceivable that he found out later....
Jaded Masses
Jedi Knight

Post by Jaded Masses »

Rogue 9 wrote:Depends on where you're going with the story. Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves opens with a torture scene. There may be a few others.

I thinking this will be story told by a prisoner reminiscing on how he came to be jailed though his life of thievery in a semi-steam punk city.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

I wrote "Painted Skies" in first-person present tense as a stream of thought narrative. :)
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

I wrote my first D&D campaign log in first person past tense. People tell me that writing in first person is hard to do, but if it is I've never noticed.
Jaded Masses
Jedi Knight

Post by Jaded Masses »

Rogue 9 wrote:I wrote my first D&D campaign log in first person past tense. People tell me that writing in first person is hard to do, but if it is I've never noticed.
I've found it some what harder writing in 1st, which is why I brought it up: I'm always cautious of doing the easier thing
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Jaded Masses wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote:I wrote my first D&D campaign log in first person past tense. People tell me that writing in first person is hard to do, but if it is I've never noticed.
I've found it some what harder writing in 1st, which is why I brought it up: I'm always cautious of doing the easier thing
Try doing it as if your character was sitting around a fire telling the story or perhaps writting his memoirs, thats how I'm doing Battle of the Hymn.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
victorhadin
Padawan Learner

Post by victorhadin »

First-person is easy enough, but present-tense is a fucker to someone like me who is used to the default past tense.

Respectively:

-Past tense is default. Past tense with a capital P is easy enough, and a good enough method. well-done, it distracts not one bit.
-Switching between frst person characters is inadvisable, but permissable under certain limited conditions. It takes skill however, and the reader must never become confused.
-Having the character being tortured is no problem at all. Indeed, handled well it can inspire intrigue and interest in the proceedings.
-Switching from 1st to 3rd person is highly inadvisable. Pick a style and stick to it throughout a story.

Writing in 1st can be fun, and makes for a funky enough story, if you get the time progression down pat. It is certainly worth a try.
"Aw hell. We ran the Large-Eddy-Method-With-Allowances-For-Random-Divinity again and look; the flow separation regions have formed into a little cross shape. Look at this, Fred!"

"Blasted computer model, stigmatizing my aeroplane! Lower the Induced-Deity coefficient next time."
Jaded Masses
Jedi Knight

Post by Jaded Masses »

Thanks all. I'm going to keep it first person past tense, as if the character were thinking over the events in his life. Y'all will probably see the Prologue and chapter one tonight or tomorrow after-noon.
Alex Moon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Alex Moon »

verilon wrote:
Jaded Masses wrote:

~ver
That isn't always the case, IMHO. The Girl Who Played Go by Shan Sa featured alternating first person views and that worked really well for the story. It really depends on the kind of impact you want to have on the reader.
Warwolves | VRWC | BotM | Writer's Guild | Pie loves Rei
haas mark

Post by haas mark »

Alex Moon wrote:
verilon wrote:No, and no, respectively. On the latter, particularly, stick to third person, not first, if you'll be switching between characters' mindsets. The point of a first person narrative is that there is one person telling the story.

~ver
That isn't always the case, IMHO. The Girl Who Played Go by Shan Sa featured alternating first person views and that worked really well for the story. It really depends on the kind of impact you want to have on the reader.
True, I'm just speaking from a more general (and easy-to-do) sense... I have a hard time transitioning smoothly between my own characters in third person.. it'd be a lot more difficult in first.
Jaded Masses wrote:Thanks. Just to clarify, does switching between a 1st person thoughts to a 3rd person description of the actions of another character okay? or should you describe them though the mind of the 1st character even if he isn't directly there? Since this is in past tense it would not be inconceivable that he found out later....
Actually, yes. I have read several novels that are written that way. In fact, that is how it is written in a first person narrative.. Using third person whenever it is not the main character [insert gerund here].

~ver

Formerly verilon

Alex Moon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Alex Moon »

verilon wrote:
True, I'm just speaking from a more general (and easy-to-do) sense... I have a hard time transitioning smoothly between my own characters in third person.. it'd be a lot more difficult in first.

~ver
Mostly you have to ensure that the reader knows the perspective is changing. For example, if you have two people, have the perspective change each chapter. Patterns make it much easier, because the reader knows that a change in perspective is coming.
Warwolves | VRWC | BotM | Writer's Guild | Pie loves Rei
haas mark

Post by haas mark »

Alex Moon wrote:
verilon wrote:

~ver
Mostly you have to ensure that the reader knows the perspective is changing. For example, if you have two people, have the perspective change each chapter. Patterns make it much easier, because the reader knows that a change in perspective is coming.
That is my general style, anyhow. I usually change perspective only so often. In one of my stories, the perspective change is a bit more rapid, but there is one character that is in first person, and the rest are in third. Generally, as well, the scene changes with the position of each person in the story.

~ver

Formerly verilon

Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Writting in a past tense is a natural way of telling a story. Most writters prefer to write in a past tense.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

evilcat4000 wrote:Writting in a past tense is a natural way of telling a story. Most writters prefer to write in a past tense.
Note to self: write something in future tense.
haas mark

Post by haas mark »

Singular Quartet wrote:
evilcat4000 wrote:Writting in a past tense is a natural way of telling a story. Most writters prefer to write in a past tense.
I've seen it done. It's weird.

~ver

Formerly verilon

Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

verilon wrote:
Singular Quartet wrote:
I've seen it done. It's weird.

~ver
Good, I'll work on it then.
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

Jaded Masses wrote:
Its very easy to switch between 1st & 3rd person points of view while writing. The problem is that it is very difficult to follow such a switch while reading.

As for changing between 1st person characters, you need to have ti clearly defined who is saying/doing what. Otherwise the reader will miss the character change and get very confused.

Switching between 3rd person characters is much easier to follow for the reader due to th fact that the name of the character is imbedded into the actions occuring to that character, were in 1st person it isnt.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.