Star Crossed Fanfic

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Over at ASVS a couple of the guys have pointed out that Kirk seems unbeatable in the story and that I have given him character shields above and beyond his normal level.
Well as you've admitted before you are a Kirk-geek, but although I'm not a dedicated Kirk-lover I think even for the most rabid warsies it can be forgiven easily regarding that it's such a great piece of fic.
Supermod
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

You haven't gone overboard with the whole Kirk thing just yet- but I must admit I was starting to get a nagging sensation at the end of that last chapter. Kirk's getting too many breaks. Make him hurt a bit.

Regarding the whole Federation not getting any victories thing- it's fine as it is. Up to this point I don't see how anyone can complain about any battles in this fanfic so far given the SW vs ST debate. If you put in a Federation fleet rampaging through Imperial lines like it's Portal to compensate, then the warsies (like me) will get miffed. Keep it ... 'believable'? Don't know if that's the right word, but yeah.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
ViciousMink
Youngling

Post by ViciousMink »

All told, I've been pleased with the portrayal of Kirk in this. I don't think he's too 'unbeatable' but of course there's the 'aura' about him. We never really saw how top-notch a tactician and strategist Kirk was, but you're really presenting that side of him very well, I think.

More than that, you're emphasizing the changes to Starfleet and the Federation that have taken place. Kirk is very clearly from a different time! And his was a time where combat and battle were constant, and his ship was likely the only capship in the sector. (Which explains his skill with tactics, and not relying on computers, but where does he get his strategic skill from? or is it a matter of Musashi's adage that 'if you can defeat ten men alone you can defeat a thousand men with a hundred?')

The fic does have a Trek bent, but let's recognize one premise that even Wong's fic had: an immoral, evil enemy will, at some point, be defeated. Also, the Federation has effectively fallen, the remnants are taking the one route open to them that: rebellion and guerilla tactics. That's the only way that even the Rebel Alliance, technologically equivalent to the Empire, could surivive against a fleet of stardestroyers. The Imps haven't yet lost an SD; meanwhile, Fed ships are dropping like flies in a bugzapper factory.

But I have to agree with the others. Once Thrawn shows up, Kirk's character shields will go DOWN and there'll be a strategic brouhaha the likes of which neither universe has ever seen, I think. =) Sorry, Stravo, but you're going to have high expectations to live, er, write up to with THAT encounter. :wink:
The Jedi asked, "What is balance for me as a servant of the Light?" The Master replied,"Balance is not what you seek. For you it is accepting that destruction is a part of the universe."
-- from Koans of the Silver Master
Founder, the Cult of Wilhelm. "Praise be to Wilhelm. AAAAIIIIUH!"
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Not true. Conquest didn't have the premise that an evil enemy would be defeated. Quite the contrary- the Federation was exposed as a stifling pathetic excuse for a regime and was rightly crushed- with the more human Imperials, cut off from their own galaxy, creating a brave new world with the Federation humans- eventually dominating the entire galaxy ... with a Death Star II and a massive Imperial fleet at their backs.

I reckon Stravo will have Luke abandon the Dark Side- I hazard to guess that Luke's fleet commanders/crew love him to the point that they'll go with him: and then it'll be whoopass time on the Borg.

How Thrawn fits in I don't know, though.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

I think I know how Stravo is gonna get the Fed's to win this one....but I can't say because if I'm right I'll have ruined the story. Damnit...I'll just have to PM Stravo with it or something...
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Come on, guys, it's Stravo's story and he's shown us time and again that he can write. I don't see why we should have the right to second-guess him at every turn. Let the man work. It's his story. Let him tell it in the way that feels right for him.

Besides, I don't think he's gone overboard at all with Kirk. If you read any books of sci-fi or fantasy, there are ALWAYS characters that seem inordinately lucky. Even in SW. There is simply no WAY Jar Jar should have survived for as long as he has, given what he's gone through. He should have died long ago. But he is still there because destiny required him to call the vote to give emergency powers to the then Chancellor Palpatine.

In almost all of science fiction and fantasy, destiny works in mysterious ways. Kirk, like many other characters in the story, is clearly destined to have an impact. Let Stravo show us what Kirk was meant to do. If we order him to change the story, we are essentially censuring it at the risk of having a much weaker story as the result. That does not mean that we cannot constructively criticize Stravo, or give him advice when we think he needs it, but ordering him to kill/injure characters, or telling him what to do with his story is going above and beyond what we, as readers, have the right to do. He's earned out trust in the matter of writing. He's cranked out a DAMN good story. Now let's let him finish it in the manner that he thinks is best.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Master of Ossus wrote:Come on, guys, it's Stravo's story and he's shown us time and again that he can write. I don't see why we should have the right to second-guess him at every turn. Let the man work. It's his story. Let him tell it in the way that feels right for him.
Stravo actually asked for feedback particularly on the Kirk issue.
Master of Ossus wrote:Besides, I don't think he's gone overboard at all with Kirk. If you read any books of sci-fi or fantasy, there are ALWAYS characters that seem inordinately lucky. Even in SW. There is simply no WAY Jar Jar should have survived for as long as he has, given what he's gone through. He should have died long ago. But he is still there because destiny required him to call the vote to give emergency powers to the then Chancellor Palpatine.
I wouldn't trot out Jar-Jar as an example, since he is universally hated and all.
Master of Ossus wrote:In almost all of science fiction and fantasy, destiny works in mysterious ways. Kirk, like many other characters in the story, is clearly destined to have an impact. Let Stravo show us what Kirk was meant to do. If we order him to change the story, we are essentially censuring it at the risk of having a much weaker story as the result. That does not mean that we cannot constructively criticize Stravo, or give him advice when we think he needs it, but ordering him to kill/injure characters, or telling him what to do with his story is going above and beyond what we, as readers, have the right to do. He's earned out trust in the matter of writing.
Again Stravo asked our opinions on how we felt about Kirk's role in his story, and I think that you will find that we all are waiting to see where he chooses to develope it. I don't believe anyone is really trying to tell him how to write the damn thing.
Master of Ossus wrote:He's cranked out a DAMN good story. Now let's let him finish it in the manner that he thinks is best.
Amen to that.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Crown wrote:Stravo actually asked for feedback particularly on the Kirk issue.
He asked US for advice. He did not ask the original ASVS people to talk about the story, though it is to his credit that he is taking into account their views in such a mature manner.

I don't have any problems with the portrayal of Kirk. I think it's been one of the high points of the story.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Ossus goes 4000. :wink:
Supermod
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Now that I'm in the 4000 club with Mr. Bean, what will I do next?

Do I get a custom title for having this many posts?

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Do I get a custom title for having this many posts?
No you get a Mr Burns style *Hurrah

........................... ehhugh Huraah hapless Empolyee, um I mean valued assest

And the day goes on :D

People who DO things get custom titles :D

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

I personally feel that Stravo knows the personalities of the TOS characters, and his use of Kirk is damn good....IMO, heck I feel he's done well with all the characters. Though it will be interesting to see how he does with Thrawn.
Milites Astrum Exterminans
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Guys,

I can't thank you enough for the positive advice I've gotten and I feel that as my regular readers you set the barometer for how I'm doing. I've taken many people's words to heart, I don't intend to change a whit of what I am doing so far, Thanks MoO for your wonderful words of support, you've been there since day one,I think that I have been very balanced in my storytelling but I wanted your opinion and Crown is right, I asked for people's opinions on the matter because it is important to me that this work does not slip into some fanboyish mastubatory story about Kirk so it becomes some demon bastard child of portal. At the same time I am comfortable in saying that Kirk IS the hero of the story, he shares that title with Luke/Nemesis and those two are for me the central stars of my little tale.

So, I just wanted to thank everyone foe their opinions, and for all those worried about Thrawn, I wouldn't, his appearance and actions will be worthy of my favorite EU character and he is going to teach Kirk just how close to the edge of utter defeat he is. (ripped shirt or not :twisted: )

BTW, I ALWAYS welcome opinions and feedback, it helps me gauage how I'm doing and tells me that my work means something to you folks, so as always feel free to chime in whenever you wish
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Stravo wrote: So, I just wanted to thank everyone foe their opinions, and for all those worried about Thrawn, I wouldn't, his appearance and actions will be worthy of my favorite EU character and he is going to teach Kirk just how close to the edge of utter defeat he is. (ripped shirt or not :twisted: )
SWEET. :twisted:
JADAFETWA
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Stravo wrote:So, I just wanted to thank everyone foe their opinions, and for all those worried about Thrawn, I wouldn't, his appearance and actions will be worthy of my favorite EU character and he is going to teach Kirk just how close to the edge of utter defeat he is. (ripped shirt or not :twisted: )
YAY!!

*Starts singing* Thrawn's gonna give a smackdown, Thrawn's gonna give a smackdown. :D :D :D :D :twisted:
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Captain_Cyran wrote:
Stravo wrote:So, I just wanted to thank everyone foe their opinions, and for all those worried about Thrawn, I wouldn't, his appearance and actions will be worthy of my favorite EU character and he is going to teach Kirk just how close to the edge of utter defeat he is. (ripped shirt or not :twisted: )
YAY!!

*Starts singing* Thrawn's gonna give a smackdown, Thrawn's gonna give a smackdown. :D :D :D :D :twisted:
Yayyyyy
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Thrawn's theme song:

dodo dum dum dum...another one bites the dust...dodo dum dum dum...another one bites the dust, and another one gone and another one gone, another one bites the dust!

Hey, gonna get you too, another one bites the dust!
JADAFETWA
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

So true, so true
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

I always imagined Thrawn's theme song would be something from Bach, or Mozart....
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

*L* oooo reinforcements...wonder how large a fleeet will be sent and if resupply and repair ships will be included
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
Skelron
Jedi Master

Post by Skelron »

The bad thing about being away from the Net for a while, you miss the Updates to the truly great Fanfics on this Board.... The good thing about being away from the net for a while when you get back you have more of the truly great fanfics to read as you get too read Two new updates at once... What more could you ask for!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Hmm Thrawns theme Song?

1812 Overture or Ride of the Valkeries

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Mr Bean wrote:Hmm Thrawns theme Song?

1812 Overture or Ride of the Valkeries
"Don't know what it is but it scares them Fed's like hell!"

*cookie for the parody guesser.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

A nice little treat, not as long as the other chapters but there wasn't much more to say...enjoy

Chapter 25: Where Angels Fear Tread part 2

“Nuts?!” Tarsi hissed as he glared at his XO.

“Yes sir. It was the single word response from the Federation fleet commander.” His XO explained hesitantly. He had the communications officer check three times before he approached Tarsi with the response.

“Do you know what this may mean?” Tarsi asked Xon.

Xon remained silent for a moment, lips pursed as he watched his homeworld filling half the viewport.

“My people and humans have had relations for over two centuries, yet there is much about them that we do not understand even now, and one of those is their use of language. It can be most frustrating.” Xon answered.

Tarsi stared at the cool Vulcan for a long moment. He did not trust the bastard, but he respected the intelligence.

Outside the battle played out through the viewports on the command bridge. An armada of starships was currently engaged in a vicious battle with the combined Imperial and Romulan forces. So far, the Federation forces had inflicted heavy casualties on the Romulan 47th Tactical Fleet, over 60% casualties at last check. The Relentless was in danger as well, her shields were currently failing and she was being swarmed by Federation light warships, most moving too fast for her guns to easily track.

Tarsi and the triumvirate were ordered to hyperspace by Nemesis himself and they had arrived just in time. Tarsi had seized the initiative and was currently ordering his fleet into the thick of the actions, using their overwhelming firepower to blast their way through the Federation lines.

“I want the flagship captured, identify it and immobilize it with a tractor beam.” Tarsi ordered.

“Of course, captain.”

“Sir, Federation lines are switching again, formation is wheeling around to 3747 mark 23.” The navigational officer reported.

“Match position and close with them damnit!” Tarsi strode over to the viewport and stared out at the Federation lines. Their ships were retreating in tight well disciplined formations. The line that was preparing to retreat covered the retreating line, ignoring the casualties inflicted by the advancing stardestroyers.

“They have suffered heavy losses since we arrived sir. Why don’t they break?”

Tarsi watched them finish their retreat and regroup. They had done this twice before already, trying to stay away from the stardestroyers and still inflicting casualties on the Romulans. The commander was smart, his fleet well disciplined. But he would not carry the day.

“He won’t let them.” Tarsi answered lowly as he watched turbolaser fire ripple down the federation lines, leaving a wreckage of dead and dying starships but still they fought on.

“Who sir?”

“Our mystery fleet commander.” Tarsi replied with a sneer. “We will break him of this right now. I want to close the gap, more power to the engines.”

“Aye sir.”

Tarsi watched his stardestroyer formation, the three of them as they had always done, in a tight wedge formation waded into the enemy, heedless of losses or challenge. He smiled softly. Nothing could stop them, he had Jan her to his left and Vash to his right and together they were unstoppable.

“Sir! Federation fleet is displacing again. 5712 mark 1.”

Tarsi grit his teeth.

“You are not getting away from me, you little bastard. Match course change and close us damn it. I will not let a flotilla of primitive warships outmaneuver us.”

“Of course captain.”

Xon noted something in the last coordinates and quietly calculated something in his head. He nodded slowly as if understanding and stood with hands clasped behind his back, staring out at his homeworld.

“Not Good, Chewie.” Tom reported as more warning lights sprang to life across his board. The falcon was rocked by another hammer blow. A fire erupted somewhere further into the ship, Tom could smell the acrid smoke of burning wiring.

“Scotty!”

“Energizing lad, this takes time ye know.”

“Scotty, just beam the whole room up, wide angled beam we simply can’t stand much more of this!” Tom ordered. A volley of bright red fire rippled down from the Falcon itself and struck the defensive turret that had been pounding on them. Its shields flared up.

“Sorry, Tom. But that defensive battery is too well shielded, it’s going to take a while to punch through.” Wes reported from the gunnery station.

Chewie started howling something and pointing to the sky, then to the ground. Tom followed his large hairy paw and saw a flight of TIE fighters followed closely by atmospheric shuttles descending on them. Below he saw white armored figures racing into the courtyard below. Some were toting large tubes that Tom had no doubt were actually anti aircraft weapons.

“Scotty things are about to get a lot more –“ The lights on the Falcon dimmed considerably and the engine noise died down. The ships seemed to quiver in the air for a moment and then just as suddenly everything was back to normal. Normal that was, for a ship under heavy attack.

“Transport complete. All targets accounted for including six Imperial troops.” Scotty reported with a soft sigh.

“Whatever you did, Scotty you are a miracle worker.”

“Lad, this whole mission is a miracle.”

Tom whirled around to Artoo just as the fighters made a pass on the Falcon, showering her with heavy fire. Wes responded in kind.

“Artoo, deposit Captain Kirk’s surprise package.”

Artoo beeped happily and his input jack spun excitedly as he accessed the science facility’s mainframe and deposited the gift.

“Scotty?”

“Beaming message beacon down…Alright lad we’re clear.”

“One more thing.” Tom said with a flourish and pulled a control. A small canister was launched from the Falcon and exploded against the front of the Science facility. The canister released a horde of nanites who instantly sprayed paint all over the wall where they landed in precise programmed patterns before they deactivated. The painted message blazed proudly on the front of the building in bright blue letters.

THE FEDERATION LIVES

“Chewie, let’s get out of here!” Tom exclaimed and pushed several controls forward. The Falcon responded admirably and rocketed forward. The defensive turret fired off another pair of shots that caught the Falcon in mid-flight as it began its ascent.

Tom was thrown forward in the cockpit and more warning lights, if that were possible, lit up. Tom groggily recovered and checked his status board. Every warning light he had been trained to look for, including some he had never seen before were brightly lit and flashing.

“Chewie?”

Chewbacca was busy keeping the Falcon steady. He howled his response.

“No shields? Damnitall, we’ll have to do this the hard way.” Tom replied and wrestled with the controls for a moment. The TIE fighters roared by, Wes’ guns following in a lethal stream of red laser fire.

“Everyone, hold tight, this is going to be bumpy.”

“Sir, you’re not going to do anything…rash are you?” Threepio asked hesitantly. Artoo whistled with encouragement.

“Don’t encourage him!” Threepio snapped.

Tom grinned and pulled back on the throttle and aimed high. The falcon suddenly rocketed straight upwards like an arrow. Chewie began adjustments to some controls and an eye on the threat display. The city fell away beneath them and there was only the harsh yellowish sky of Vulcan. Tom leaned forward in his seat, urging the Falcon to climb faster.

“We got company following us, I think I can keep them off our back.” Wes reported.

The Falcon shook violently and something exploded in the back. Chewie glanced at Tom.

“Mostly.” Wes apologized.

“Chewie, I need you up here, Artoo, go check out what’s still in one piece back there.”

Artoo whistled and immediately rolled towards the back. Threepio glanced from Tom to Artoo and deiced to follow Artoo to the back of the ship.

“Adventure, he said…excitement…what does a droid want with these things.” Threepio griped shaking his head as he disappeared into the bowels of the Falcon.

“She’ll hold together, right?” Tom asked. Chewie eyed him and did not reply as he started adjusting plasma pressure and trying to coax power into the shattered shield grid.

“Hear me baby, hold together.” Tom whispered as the stars began to fill the sky. He also saw the thermonuclear fireworks exploding in huge patterns of bright green and white. He knew that many of his friends were in the middle of the mess.

Suddenly several TIE fighters dove down from the shadows of space and began a series of strafing runs on the Falcon as she cleared the atmosphere. The cockpit rocked back and forth, the only response was Wes’ sole gun firing wildly at the swarm of TIE fighters they just ran into.

“This is Falcon 1 to attack fleet, we are under attack. We have completed mission but request assistance immediately.” Tom called frantically on the comlink as he sent the Falcon spinning along its axis and dodged another volley of green laser fire.

“Status?” Kirk asked with a rasp. Smoke was choking the bridge and he absently wiped blood from his brow with the gold sleeve of his uniform shirt. The bridge was on fire as damage control teams swarmed around the area and automatic fire suppression systems kicked in.

“We’re nominal, shields down to 35%. Engineering reports that main power is failing and we need time to reinforce the shields.” Riker reported.

“Time is a luxury we don’t have.” Kirk replied hotly. He glanced down at his tactical display.

“One more displacement and we’ll have him.” he whispered.

“Captain we’re losing starships by the dozens with every broadside of those stardestroyers, we must withdraw.” Riker urged.

“This mission, this war will be all for naught if we don’t hold the line. Just one more pass, Riker.”

“Sir, frankly I don’t know if this fleet will hold together for one more pass.”

“Captain, the Relentless’ shields have failed in the tower section, the hounds are concentrating their fire there.” Data reported.

“Excellent.”

“Captain, Falcon 1 is requesting immediate assistance. They have completed their objectives but report they are under heavy fighter attack.” Uhura reported holding the transceiver in her ear and squinting to listen. Despite the pandemonium on the bridge, Kirk could catch snippets of Tom’s harried pleas for help.

“Kirk frowned. His whole fleet was under heavy capital ship attack. He could not move ships off the line now, not when they were at the edge of victory.

“Rogue squadron.” he muttered as he realized he had that one untapped resource. “Pull them off the line and have them escort the Falcon until she jumps. Order the Reckless Hope to standby.”

“Aye sir.” Riker responded grimly.

“Fleet displace to…” Kirk glanced down at another display, a telemetry readout from the Sagan. The science vessel was currently tucked away at the launch point of his plan, using her powerful passive sensors to monitor the battle and give him a readout of where he was and where the Imperial fleet was. They were dancing together, he led the tango, the Imperial ships followed and so far they had been admirable partners, the wedge of ships was intent on closing with his lines and finishing them. He was intent on lining them up in a certain part of space, marked by a glowing red X on his display. One more displacement would bring them right in the middle of the cross hairs.

“6632 mark 90.”

“Aye sir.” Sulu responded without hesitation.

Kirk nodded grimly. He turned to Riker.

“Now we hold on.”

“For how long?” Riker pressed.

“Until we can drop the hammer.”

“Alright Rogues, we have our marching orders, let’s get over to the falcon.” Wedge ordered.

“Copy that Rogue leader.”

The X-wings quickly broke from the furballs they were involved in and began rocketing towards the Millennium Falcon which was desperately trying to claw its way out of Vulcan’s gravity well. The TIE fighters were simply not allowing it, all avenues of ascent were being cut off and the fighters were doing their best to hit the Falcon’s unprotected engines. They had not counted on the military grade hull plating that Han Solo had stolen from an Imperial scrap yard early on in his career and welded it onto vital parts of the Falcon. Despite how ugly the mismatched hull plating made his ship look the plating had saved his life and Chewbacca’s more time than he could count.

Now Tom Paris was quite glad that the plating was there as the falcon was rocked again by a strafing run.

“Wes, we could really use some marksmanship up there.”

“Funny that, I was about to say we could use something called evasive maneuvers down there.” Wes replied wanly without slipping a beat.

“Scotty, you wanna help Wes back there and take a gunnery station?” Tom called back.

“I’m an engineer not a fighter…but I’ll be damned if one of these Imperial sinners downs us after all the trouble I took putting this together.” Scotty replied and Tom could hear him climbing down into the belly guns.

“What are our chances if we try to hyper out of here now?” Tom asked.

Chewie howled something very negative.

“Well, what if we find a crack in the gravity well and hyper there?” Tom suggested.

Chewie glanced at him as if he were insane.

“Don’t look at me like that, I’ll have you know we once found a crack in the event horizon of a black hole.”

Chewie began chuckling in spite of their dire situation.

“What’s so funny?” Tom asked but his attention was drawn by a flight of TIE fighters trying to slip to the rear for another shot at the engines.

Tom yanked the controls hard and sent the Falcon into a controlled diving spin and whipped the freighter up and out of the dive at the last possible second before skipping off the atmosphere. The fighters were forced out of their attack trajectory.

“We can’t keep this up forever.” tom exclaimed.

Suddenly a TIE fighter exploded into a fiery blossom off to their starboard. Another had its solar panel sheared off by a crimson blast that sent the fighter spinning helplessly into Vulcan’s atmosphere.

“The cavalry has arrived!” Tom hooted.

“Falcon 1 this is Rogue leader, we are here to provide escort. Kindly get your butts into hyperspace as soon as possible. We have a fleet that is getting slaughtered back there and needs our help.” Wedge explained.

“Copy that Rogue leader, but before we can go, we have the little problem of a TIE fighter squadron inbound.” Tom explained bringing the Falcon back into an escape trajectory out of Vulcan’s gravity well.

Wedge smiled softly as his threat display picked up the fighters and tagged each of them for easy identification and weapons lock. He brought his fighter around in a high intercept trajectory.

“Just one squadron? They must have not heard of us.” Wedge said with a short laugh and half the X-wings peeled off as one and engaged the incoming TIEs, the rest of the Rogues were in tight formation with the Falcon.

“Chewie get us ready for hyperspace.”

Chewie nodded and slapped the young human on the shoulder.

“Yow!” Tom exclaimed but laughed as he rubbed his shoulder and grinned at the Wookie.

“You watch it furball or I’m going to put this foot up where no man has gone before.” Tom replied.

Chewie barked a short laugh.

“Falcon 1 is almost away. The package has been delivered into the Vulcan Science Institute’s mainframe.” Spock reported.

“Good, time for total penetration?”

“Three minutes.”

“Alright, prepare for final displacement, standby emergency warp drive, we’re getting out of here in an awful hurry.”

“Sir with all the heavy turbolaser flak fire out there, it will be difficult to engage warp drive.” Riker warned.

“I estimate that 40% of the fleet will not be able to initiate a stable warp field.” Data concurred.

“Soon those turbolaser blasts will not be an issue. Chekov, current position of Imperial stardestroyers.”

“Stardestroyers at 4727 Mark 12 and closing fast.” Chekov reported.

Kirk nodded and glanced own at his display. The stardestroyers were marching steadily and the first one was entering the cross hairs. They were closing fast, he needed to entice all three and there was only one way.

“We hold position here, transfer all power to weapons commence alpha strikes on the lead stardestroyer.”

“Sir?” Riker asked.

“You heard me Number One. Do it. Now.”

Riker nodded and nodded his head to the tactical officer. Soon the entire fleet started firing waves of Quantum torpedoes and concentrated phaser fire on the Adjudicator. The weapon detonations caused her forward shields to flare up.

Kirk grit his teeth as the stardestroyers began to return fire and more starships died but his eyes remained riveted on the tactical display. The second stardestroyer was in the cross hairs.

“Hold this line.” he ordered grimly as a console exploded behind him sending a crewman over a railing onto the floor.

“So he has finally lost his nerve. Now he decided to hold the line and stand toe to toe with us. The fool.” Tarsi whirled to his weapons officer.

“Tell all gunners to make each shot count, we will utter vaporize this line. Signal Jan-Her and Vash. I want the Inexorable and Executioner to continue the attack, bull into them, break their pathetic lines.”

“Aye sir.”

Tarsi felt the electric thrill of immanent victory. The Federation fleet commander was no fool, he knew that he was outmatched and he had maneuvered his fleet masterfully, keeping just within their own weapons range and forcing Tarsi to maneuver his ships for optimum fire coverage only to have the Federation fleet disengage again and start the whole dance over again. But Tarsi knew the bitter truth. This fleet engagement would be won or loss by numbers and the Federation fleet was currently being decimated and soon he would have no more fleet to displace.

He had no choice but to either run or make a stand. Unlike other Federation fleet commanders, this one had decided to make a stand. Tarsi would make sure he would pay for it.

He watched the tactical display as more of the Federation line vanished in balls of fire on the viewports. Computer generated lines indicated where they had displaced and the Imperial response. Tarsi’s eyes narrowed. There was something about the displacements, they were not simple maneuvers to get away from his ships. His head lowered as he leaned in closer to examine the display more closely.

Each displacement had positioned his fleet in a certain location, each location was brining him further away from Vulcan. Each displacement had slowly had him drift off the planetary plane. The last displacement now had his ships completely off the planetary plane and away from Vulcan altogether with only the void behind him. A competent commander would want to at least force Tarsi to fight with his back towards a gravity well, namely Vulcan to somewhat limit his maneuverability and of this fleet went to warp, it would limit Tarsi’s ability to pursue this close to a planetary gravity well.

The more he examined it the more he was convinced this was an orchestrated action on the fleet commander’s part. He was using his own fleet as bait, luring Tarsi into position. Into position for what was the primary question.

Tarsi traced a line between the Federation fleet and his own. He slowly continued the line back from his fleet into the empty space behind him.

“Xon? Would the Federation put your world in danger in order to win a victory?” Tarsi asked quietly, his wheels turning as he desperately tried to formulate why this was being orchestrated. Why was his fleet being maneuvered? There was no weapon that could hurt him…was there?

“Even during the height of the Dominion War, when several worlds were under occupation including Betazed, the Federation never undertook actions that would endanger the lives or property of Federation worlds.” Xon answered, his eyes strayed down to the tactical display.

Tarsi’s eyes widened.

“Tell Jan Her and Vash to break formation, emergency power to the engines!” Tarsi shouted.

On Vulcan another attack was taking place. A special virus created by Mr. Spock and Data was inserted into the Vulcan Science academy’s main computer by Artoo. The virus quickly spread through the entire memory core of the main computer hunting for any data that was even remotely connected to the wormhole project that the Imperials had initiated on Vulcan. The data was instantly consumed and a corrupted data stream was left behind. The virus moved quickly through the data cores and jumped from one system to the next, using Spock’s intimate knowledge of Vulcan computer architecture and Data’s storehouse of knowledge on how computers worked, they created a virus that was intelligent enough to mimic a far more inane bit of programming allowing it to jump through data portals and cores.

Soon the virus had expanded exponentially throughout the planet’s interconnected network, slicing and erasing all data concerning the project. Within a few minutes, an eternity in computer time, two thirds of the entire planet’s computer network had all relevant data wiped clean.

By the time the battle would be over, there would not remain a single portion of data or information regarding the research team’s work. The virus would enter a dormant stage and hide within various data nodes as an inconsequential bit of programming until a new data port was logged into the system that may have the data and the virus would launch itself again.

If the Imperials truly wanted to destroy the virus, Data and Spock made sure that the only reasonable way to make sure would be to commence a core dump of ALL of Vulcan’s computer systems. The loss in productivity would be enormous and so the blow against them would continue.

The three stardestroyers were in the center of his glowing crosshairs. Kirk turned to Spock.

“Mr. Spock. Drop the Hammer.”

Spock nodded and activated a series of controls on his panel. Lights lit up and a hyperbeam transmission was sent by the Enterprise.

“Sulu, prepare for emergency warp speed on my mark, inform the fleet to follow us out.”

“Aye sir.

The hyperbeam transmission was picked up and relayed by the Sagan to twelve control systems several thousand kilometers away. The control systems were slaved to a warp core. The warp cores were hastily constructed affairs, built for essentially a one way trip. The warp cores were built into a sturdy frame on the surface of a large asteroid. The smallest of the twelve asteroids was 150 meters in diameter and was composed of dense iron ore.

They were floating 63 million miles away from Vulcan on a set trajectory towards the planet. They were deposited there by the tow squadron of starships at the start of the battle.

The warp cores on the asteroids were powered up by the transmission and the only orders on their simple computer cores was ENGAGE.

The warp cores flared up and twelve asteroids went to warp towards their intended target. They crossed the distance in seconds as they accelerated to warp 9 and flashed into the battle field.

Kirk had positioned his fleet to be just beneath the incoming trajectory of the asteroids and the Imperial stardestroyers were right in their target path. Sitting right in the center of his bulls eye, the stardestroyers were now in the path of a hail of asteroids moving at supra-light speed.

They were under the hammer as Kirk called his invention.

The asteroids lacked even a rudimentary navigational control, there was no time, and to do so would require the construction of thrusters and impulse engines on the asteroids for what was to be a one way trip. The asteroids simply needed the momentum that the warp drive would grant them. The asteroids were positioned to travel in a straight line. It would be up to Kirk and his fleet to get the Imperial warships into position.

After several displacements to get them to follow, the Imperials were finally in position and Kirk dropped the hammer on them.

The asteroids flashed over the Federation fleet and struck the Imperial lines like stones from the sling of god. The Executioner was struck amidships by several asteroids, each one walked up the mighty vessel like machine gun bullets, exploding through the shields and tearing the hull open in a titanic explosion as irresistible force met immovable object. The last asteroid rocketed over the main hull and sheared off the control tower. There was a series of explosions that wracked the stardestroyer and it exploded into a blaze of divine light as the hypermatter reactor exploded, sending rings of fire out that tore through the Romulan lines, vaporizing the hapless warbirds in its path.

One asteroid cleanly missed the three stardestroyers and the Romulan lines only to crash into the bow of the Relentless, the very tip of the wounded warships arrow head shaped bow was utterly vaporized in a flash of plasma. The Relentless was slowly pushed to starboard by the blow, the mighty vessel’s damaged engines unable to compensate for the sudden change in momentum imparted by the blow.

The last of the hammer flashed by, one asteroid crashed into the belly of the Inexorable, her hangar bay disappeared in an explosion of twisted metal and molten rock. The Adjudicator, lit up by dozens of phaser blasts and quantum torpedo detonations was grazed by an asteroid over its first forecastle structure, shearing off part of the roof as the remnants of the shattered asteroid continued on into the void beyond.

The triumvirate was broken, the surviving stardestroyers broke formation for the first time in the many years they had fought together and a gaping hole had been opened in the lines.

“I said full evasive! All power to the engines, break formation as wide as possi-“ Tarsi was silenced by an awesome explosion to his left. The Executioner, which had been proudly protecting his left was gone, replaced by an enormous fireball. Huge rings of fire were emanating out in waves that were igniting the Romulan warbirds too close to the blast.

Tarsi had seen big ships explode, there was no doubt in his mind that the Executioner was gone.

“Jan-Her!” he shouted.

The Adjudicator was rocked by an enormous blast that sent Tarsi to the ground and the lights on the bridge dimmed momentarily. Alarms went off all over the ship and on the bridge, a deep warble that Tarsi had never heard before in live combat. A collision alarm.

“What happened?” he shouted as he got to his feet, looking to his right and saw the Inexorable’s belly engulfed in fire but the ship was still intact.

“Still trying to ascertain, sir!” his XO shouted over the alarms, many of the crews in the control pits were still struggling to get up, Tarsi could see the warning lights on many of their boards lit up.

He strode over to the viewport and saw a huge gash torn open on his forward forecastle, much of the top part of the hull had been scraped away, a trial of molten rock and glittering hot gasses were all that was left of whatever struck them.

“As best we can tell, captain, we’ve been struck by an object, a massive one at that.”

“A mass driver? Are you telling me we were struck by Federation mass drivers?!” Tarsi shouted anger welling up inside of him as he refused to look out the left portion of his viewport at the rapidly expanding cloud of debris and plasma that was all that was left of the mighty Executioner and his friend of over 20 years.

“The Federation lines?” he suddenly asked. He whirled to his tactical officer.

“I want all weapons fire on the Federation lines now!”

“Sir, the Federation fleet is going to warp.”

Tarsi wanted to strangle his tactical officer and his face turned crimson as he turned back to the viewport.

“Fire anyway, blast them before the rest go to warp.” Tarsi reached out and gripped his XO’s shoulder.

“I want recovery teams sent out to the Executioner’s position right away.” Tarsi asked, voice thick with emotion.

“Of course sir.” his XO replied softly.

“And raise Captain Vash.”

“Aye sir.”

Tarsi stared out at the screen as the last of the Federation ships leapt away at warp, leaving behind a shattered Imperial line.

“Yahoo!” Tom exclaimed as the destruction of the stardestroyers played out on his viewport.

Chewbacca grinned. Even in their galaxy, seeing the death of a stardestroyer was a rare sight indeed.

“I told you, Chewie! I told you Kirk would do something. That man is a legend. Not only will he kick Imperial ass up and down this galaxy but I’m sure he’ll have a lovely lady on each arm while he does it!” Tom crowed.

Chewbacca’s celebration paused as he heard those words and he innocently asked a question as he prepared the Millennium Falcon for light speed.

“Lady’s man? You have NO IDEA, Chewie, if you read his logs, this guy was meeting women across the galaxy. It’s an accomplishment I can respect.” Tom answered with a lecherous grin.

Chewbacca snorted softly as he indicated that they were ready to go to light speed. He ad Kirk would have to have an understanding. Chewbacca considered himself quite an adept diplomat. He chuckled to himself.

“What’s so funny?” Tom asked.

Chewie shrugged.

Tom smirked and pulled back the hyperdrive controls and the Millennium Falcon leapt out into a cascade of stars.

“Are you certain?” Vash asked in that quiet whisper of his. Tarsi nodded slowly. Vash was standing before him as a hologram.

“There were no survivors so far and the recovery teams hold no hope for finding any at all.” Tarsi answered coldly.

“Damn them.” Vash hissed.

“And you?”

“Our hangar bay is gone as far as we can tell, most of it was simply vaporized and I lost a lot of good men. Our damage control teams have everything under control. The Relentless is even more damaged now than she was before, I don’t know what is keeping that ship together.”

“She’s like her Captain, tough as neutronium with a heart of fire.” Tarsi answered softly.

“What do we tell Nemesis?” Vash asked pointedly.

Tarsi gripped his hands behind his back for a moment in thought.

“First thing’s first. We need to know how badly they hurt us. Find out why they were on the surface of Vulcan. If there is going to be bad news I want to give all to Nemesis at once. Secondly we need to regroup and find out more about this Federation fleet commander.”

“And then?”

“We tell Nemesis everything and hope that he is in a merciful mood.”

“That is reassuring.” Vash replied darkly.

“The thought of our deaths, particularly mine should be reassuring for that federation fleet commander.”

“Oh?”

Tarsi smiled like ice.

“Because if Nemesis does not kill me, I intend to hunt that bastard down to all ends of the universe, and when I am done…he will pray for death, Vash. I assure you of that.” Tarsi replied.

The cheers that erupted on the Enterprise’s bridge was a sharp contrast to the grim silence and moans of the wounded that pervaded the bridge during the tense moments near the end, when Kirk had ordered them to hold the line no matter the cost. When the hammer fell and the first stardestroyer simply vanished in a ball of plasma, there was shock, when the second stardestroyer was struck immediately afterwards, the shock turned to smiles of joy and the last of the stardestroyers was hit and the gaping hole in the lines opened the smiles became cheers as Kirk nodded to himself. He would have wanted all three stardestroyers destroyed but he was playing the odds, fill enough space with asteroids and he was bound to hit something, fortunately enough hit that he managed to take down one of the Empire’s supposedly invincible warships.

But he could not afford to celebrate. There were other things on his mind.

Data turned to Sulu, perplexed.

“What’s the matter, Data?” Sulu asked smiling broadly and clapping Chekov on the arm.

“I do not understand why we are celebrating.”

“Data, we took out one of their invulnerable warships, we damaged two others and we stole the heart of their wormhole research teams, I’d say this pretty much qualifies for a victory.” Sulu explained.

Data stared at Sulu for a moment, as if analyzing what he said.

“According to the last transmission from the fleet we estimate over 270 starships destroyed. If the casualties we have suffered in this single engagement are any indication of how the rest of this war will proceed I am doubtful that we can sustain this level of conflict.” Data explained. Sulu frowned slightly.

Kirk watched Data intently over fingers steepled on his chin. Riker smiled at Kirk.

“Congratulations, Captain!” Riker said exuberantly.

Kirk nodded absently. Data had spoken what occupied his mind. He had looked down at the tactical display. If they were going to call this a victory, then the war was going to be longer and bloodier than anyone could imagine and the dark question looming in Kirk’s mind was cold and simple.

Would they be able to last that long?
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Mmm Fanfic

*Edit FIRST :D

All is good, now to read