Star Crossed Fanfic

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

*Uggh Bean feels urge to acutaly Question Stravo's Fanfic

Anyway one takes somthing into Subspace one looses a great deal of mass in Realspace, For each Warp you go up(Warp 1,2 and so on) you have to shed roughly 10% of the mass of your object but the regular 8% from going into Warp at all

So a ship at Warp 9 even though its going quite fast looses over 98% of its Mass

If you ever got it published just switch it around(Have them drop out of Warp and hit the Ships at .9C :D that still quite a good clip) and double the Rock size... Acutal no I take that Back, a 150 Meter Rock should be good enough if you hit it at .9C(Might want to stack explosives on the Surface too :D)

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
ViciousMink
Youngling

Post by ViciousMink »

Behold the power of MASS. :D

Damn fine work AGAIN! Right now, though, I worry for Kirk. On the one hand, he's going to have to deal with Thrawn....

On the other hand, and much more immediately, he's going to come to an 'understanding' with Chewbacca. more to the point, he's going to be BROUGHT to an understanding BY Chewbacca! =) That was a nicely done moment.

Thanks for doing this, Stravo, it's really entertaining!
The Jedi asked, "What is balance for me as a servant of the Light?" The Master replied,"Balance is not what you seek. For you it is accepting that destruction is a part of the universe."
-- from Koans of the Silver Master
Founder, the Cult of Wilhelm. "Praise be to Wilhelm. AAAAIIIIUH!"
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Mr Bean wrote:*Uggh Bean feels urge to acutaly Question Stravo's Fanfic

Anyway one takes somthing into Subspace one looses a great deal of mass in Realspace, For each Warp you go up(Warp 1,2 and so on) you have to shed roughly 10% of the mass of your object but the regular 8% from going into Warp at all

So a ship at Warp 9 even though its going quite fast looses over 98% of its Mass

If you ever got it published just switch it around(Have them drop out of Warp and hit the Ships at .9C :D that still quite a good clip) and double the Rock size... Acutal no I take that Back, a 150 Meter Rock should be good enough if you hit it at .9C(Might want to stack explosives on the Surface too :D)
Bean,

I never knew that. I always assumed that a vessel maintains its mass when going to warp. if that is true then I will most definately change that in the story in a revision. I just wanted to give the objects maximum impact and I figured that at warp it really must make a big boom...once again my scientific ignorance shows :oops:

BTW, the SMALLEST asteroid was 150 meters just in case you think I was shortchanging the stardestroyers. Says alot when this is a valid tactic to destroy an enemy capital ship. :wink:
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Stravo wrote:"I said full evasive! All power to the engines, break formation as wide as possi-"; Tarsi was silenced by an awesome explosion to his left. The Executioner, which had been proudly protecting his left was gone, replaced by an enormous fireball. Huge rings of fire were emanating out in waves that were igniting the Romulan warbirds too close to the blast.

Tarsi had seen big ships explode, there was no doubt in his mind that the Executioner was gone.

"Jan-Her!" he shouted.
No......NOOOOOOOO!

......they must ALL pay for this outrage...ALL OF THEM!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
JADAFETWA
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I always assumed that a vessel maintains its mass when going to warp. if that is true then I will most definately change that in the story in a revision. I just wanted to give the objects maximum impact and I figured that at warp it really must make a big boom...once again my scientific ignorance shows
Not a problem Stravo, At least you did not scream at me and run from the rooming with your hands over your ears screaming I"M RIGHT AND YOUR WRONG LA la la la la

However this is one of the things Mike Wrote about I belive, *Edit the page
http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tec ... raxis.html
A quater way down he reference that Subspace is not an Either or, You can be a hundreith, a quater or half in subspace, or nearly completly fully in subspace but consquenty one looses KE and mass the faster one goes

So just have them going into Warp and drop out, Seeing as the deeper one goes the faster JUST after they get out of Warp they will for a very, very short time being moving at slight below C(.9997C or so) and slow all the way as thier masse decreases

So you throw in a comment about Scotty compaing how the timers he built for them to hop out of Subspace are less accrate them him a stop-watch or somthing to that affect. 8)

Anyway just have them drop out of Subspace RIGHT before impact and the whole thing makes sense and works

Oh and
“Wes, we could really use some marksmanship up there.”

“Funny that, I was about to say we could use something called evasive maneuvers down there.” Wes replied wanly without slipping a beat.
In re-right I suggest removing Wanly and from slipping to skipping
But.....
Otherwise it was perfect spot on, Tradmark Wes

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

......they must ALL pay for this outrage...ALL OF THEM!!!
Do not worry

Thrawn....
Is....
Coming....
(Insert Dramitc Cord, Flash of Thunder and Demoic Laugh)

Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Mr Bean wrote: Do not worry

Thrawn....
Is....
Coming....
(Insert Dramitc Cord, Flash of Thunder and Demoic Laugh)
YES!!!! Nahahahaahaaaahahahahaaaa!
JADAFETWA
ViciousMink
Youngling

Post by ViciousMink »

*thunder*lighting*

*laugh* Thus be it always for enemies of the empire!
One of the greatest lines from the TIE Fighter game. =) Why can't LucasArts make a game like that anymore? :evil:
The Jedi asked, "What is balance for me as a servant of the Light?" The Master replied,"Balance is not what you seek. For you it is accepting that destruction is a part of the universe."
-- from Koans of the Silver Master
Founder, the Cult of Wilhelm. "Praise be to Wilhelm. AAAAIIIIUH!"
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Come on, Bean, we don't know how big those asteroids were.

And anyway, this is not necessarily a "realistic" fanfic. It is important to offer authors artistic license in things like this, to allow for better balance. Let Stravo finish his work his way. We owe it to him, at this point.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

ViciousMink wrote:
*thunder*lighting*

*laugh* Thus be it always for enemies of the empire!
One of the greatest lines from the TIE Fighter game. =) Why can't LucasArts make a game like that anymore? :evil:
I thought the quote was: "Thus is the fate of Enemies of the Empire."
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Master of Ossus wrote:

Come on, Bean, we don't know how big those asteroids were.

And anyway, this is not necessarily a "realistic" fanfic. It is important to offer authors artistic license in things like this, to allow for better balance. Let Stravo finish his work his way. We owe it to him, at this point.
MoO Thank you so much for the words of encouragement, but Bean is right to point out a glaring error like that if it detracts from the reader's enjoyment. I don't mind being called out on errors like that, particularly when I am self admitedly not a science oriented guy. I like reading books about science for lay folks but I'm a history major at heart so I like the dramatic side of life and not so much the cold hard numbers or facts.

As for the asteroids, as I told Bean, the SMALLEST one was 150 meters, so we had some pretty big asteroids there travelling at near light speed :wink: So it is going to hit with a big bang. I'm not trying to show that stardestroyers are weak, on the contrary I'm just showing to what lengths one must go to knock one out of action if you're the Feds. It is simultaeously a display of Kirk's genius and ability to think outside the box to achieve a solution.

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Hey one can always fix things in re-right and MoO admit it, If he where to change it so that the Rocks hit at .997C and thus take thier mass x16 because of Relativity(The closer you get to C the greater you mass you know)
And saying that at .997 C one's mass is x16 is not that far off as one one is exactly shure how fast/much your mass increases as you reach C(Correct me if there is a forumula for determining that)

In the end it imparts vastly much more KE(Hundreds of Teratons) AND makes Kirk look even more Brillant and lucky for managing to hit the SD during those tens of a second right after one leave Warp and is going that fast

HRogge
Jedi Master

Post by HRogge »

Stravo wrote:Chapter 25: Where Angels Fear Tread part 2

“One more thing.” Tom said with a flourish and pulled a control. A small canister was launched from the Falcon and exploded against the front of the Science facility. The canister released a horde of nanites who instantly sprayed paint all over the wall where they landed in precise programmed patterns before they deactivated. The painted message blazed proudly on the front of the building in bright blue letters.

THE FEDERATION LIVES
GREAT...

I think Han Solo would be proud of the new owner of the Falcon !
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Oh I forgot about that... Oh and Its over-complicated! Its the Federation way at two levels! :D

Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Mr Bean wrote:Oh I forgot about that... Oh and Its over-complicated! Its the Federation way at two levels! :D
Bean I'm glad you picked up on that. Definately the more complicated and less practical way but its the way they would do it.

Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Stravo I am a warsie, and I would just like to say that I love the way you have been writting this fanfic so far. I mean Kirk rakes me a little, but without him what would be the point?

As for Thrawn, there is something that just doesn't sit right for me with his inclusion, and I will be honest and admit that it's because I don't believe the Empire needs his abilities to pacify the Federation, Kirk or no Kirk. Having said that, I am still breathless with anticipation to see him enter the scene! :mrgreen:
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Crown wrote:Stravo I am a warsie, and I would just like to say that I love the way you have been writting this fanfic so far. I mean Kirk rakes me a little, but without him what would be the point?

As for Thrawn, there is something that just doesn't sit right for me with his inclusion, and I will be honest and admit that it's because I don't believe the Empire needs his abilities to pacify the Federation, Kirk or no Kirk. Having said that, I am still breathless with anticipation to see him enter the scene! :mrgreen:
I hear you on the Thrawn bit Crown, but this is more a Gary Mitchell manuever than the EMpire feeling like it needs Thrawn to pacify the Federation. Gary is stacking the deck to ridiculous extremes in order to defeat and humiliate Kirk. Besides...doesn't everyone want to see that matchup or what? :twisted:

Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Stravo wrote: I hear you on the Thrawn bit Crown, but this is more a Gary Mitchell manuever than the EMpire feeling like it needs Thrawn to pacify the Federation. Gary is stacking the deck to ridiculous extremes in order to defeat and humiliate Kirk. Besides...doesn't everyone want to see that matchup or what? :twisted:
Abso-fucking-lutely! :twisted:
JADAFETWA
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Stravo wrote:I hear you on the Thrawn bit Crown, but this is more a Gary Mitchell manuever than the EMpire feeling like it needs Thrawn to pacify the Federation. Gary is stacking the deck to ridiculous extremes in order to defeat and humiliate Kirk. Besides...doesn't everyone want to see that matchup or what? :twisted:
In my own imagination certainly, with someone else at the helm.... But in the end I trust you, and you are right I obviously missed the part where Q asked him if he was being a little extreme.

I will say it again, I trust you Stravo. Show me the way.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Ted
BANNED

Post by Ted »

“One more thing.” Tom said with a flourish and pulled a control. A small canister was launched from the Falcon and exploded against the front of the Science facility. The canister released a horde of nanites who instantly sprayed paint all over the wall where they landed in precise programmed patterns before they deactivated. The painted message blazed proudly on the front of the building in bright blue letters.

THE FEDERATION LIVES
Did you get that from ASVS?
Because way back in Febuary or sometime like that, I posted something like that, but it was nanites painting maple leafs all over the place.
Go, tell the Spartans, stranger passing by,
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Ted wrote:

THE FEDERATION LIVES
Did you get that from ASVS?
Because way back in Febuary or sometime like that, I posted something like that, but it was nanites painting maple leafs all over the place.
Actually Ted, I just made that up because it sounded like the convuluted techno intensive solution that the Feds would come up with for a simple thing.

Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

I found that part amusing. For the above reason.
Supermod
starfury
Jedi Master

Post by starfury »

wow, I missed two chapters, that was some titanic battles, I really liked them
"a single death is a tragedy, a million deaths are a statistic"-Joseph Stalin

"No plan survives contact with the enemy"-Helmuth Von Moltke

"Women prefer stories about one person dying slowly. Men prefer stories of many people dying quickly."-Niles from Frasier.
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

*Twitch* I do believe I am in love with that chapter...

I mean, very good chapter Stravo, and you better bring in Thrawn soon.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Stravo wrote: “Do you realize what you’ve done?” Scotty asked in shock.

“What is it? Oh you mean compared to your warp core on the old Enterprise. Well, Mr. Scott there was a revolution in warp propulsion in the last twenty years. We found that if you shunt the matter stream directly through the core intermix chamber without the plasma manifolds acting as buffers, warp power increases 15% compared to the standard warp cores of your day.”

Scotty stared up at the massive intermix chamber, exposed for all the world to see rising up through several decks.

“And the plasma blowback?” he asked sullenly.

“Well, we deal with the ionization differently, we allow some of it to fill the core and keep the core superheated at all times, thus allowing us to do a cold restart in less than 5 minutes compared to the half hour it took in your day.”

“Let me get this straight, lad. You’ve stripped out every back up, every safety feature so that you could gain a 20% boost in warp power and you allow super heated plasma to remain suspended in the core, I can also see that the heat is an issue from all the coolant leads going into the core.” Scott noted with disdain.

“Yes?” Geordie asked not sure where Scott was going with this.

“You’ve got more power than we could generate in my day but I guarantee that you have warp core breaches.”

“Well, they do happen on occasion.” Geordie conceded.

“Lad, back in my day, a starship could have had every part of its hull blasted away and there would never be a danger of a warp core breech. In fact I have only seen a warp core breech twice in my entire career, BOTH were created in a lab for experimentation purposes. There was a reason why we did not do what you did. We knew the risks. You think this set up is a revolution in warp propulsion, lad? This is a design routinely rejected by Starfleet’s corps of Engineers for over ten years in my time.”

‘There was a change in thinking.” Geordi replied weakly.

“Obviously.” Scott grimaced. “Safety was no longer a concern.”

“No, we simply developed the safety features needed to finally fully realize this design.”

Scott frowned. Some things had not changed for the better.

Wow, seems like a missed a gem in my first reading of this chapter. Scotty's getting some payback for that episode where Geordi was lecturing him on the new specs and changes that they'd made while Scotty had been stuck in that transporter pattern buffer. So true, I remember ST6 where the Enterprise had been shot to hell and had holes blown clean through the hull, and yet the warp core was still happily chugging away. Good old fashion technology...
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P